PDA

View Full Version : Articulated Super Battle Droid Finally!

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Check out the loose photo of the figure in this news update:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=365

I can see universal-jointed shoulders and elbows, and hinged knees. I hope the hips are ball-jointed, they certainly COULD be, but they could be standards which wouldn't be as good. I can't tell if the torso is articulated at all because of the fire gimmick which I'm assuming is removable (after all, why make an articulated SBD who is always on fire?). The sculpt looks better too, the hands are the first thing I noticed, they're closed in instead of being flat open. This is definitely a step in the right direction. :)

dindae
09-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Yeah I think I will be getting a few of these. I have never really bought more than one of past version but I think its time to bulk up my droid armies a bit.

Battle Droid
09-25-2006, 02:39 PM
He's AWESOME, and the hips do look ball-jointed, I hope they are.

Hopefully they'll make a Battle Droid like this.

Droid
09-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I am not a clone expert. Do we see "airborne troopers" in the movie? If so, where, how many are shown, and does an airborne trooper have dialogue?

I can't keep the clones straight!

JEDIpartner
09-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I just hope that the plastic is a little sturdier on this model.

Battle Droid
09-25-2006, 03:50 PM
The legs look a little thicker, so hopefully.

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 04:12 PM
That would be nice, they seem to have thickened the arms as well as the legs, what they did is instead of making them flat like the previous versions, they taper them so they look thinner than they are, it's a good trick and I hope it works.

Darth Cruel
09-25-2006, 04:31 PM
I have never bought a SBD to open because of how cheesy they were. If this one lives up to it's potential, I will be troop-building them.

Slicker
09-25-2006, 05:57 PM
It's definitely about time. The others were alright but this one'll blow 'em away.

Now we just need an articulated BD.

I'm also still quite underwhelmed by the new cards. The hard lines do nothing at all for me.

Kidhuman
09-25-2006, 07:34 PM
I love this one, I will grab a few of them&

LTBasker
09-25-2006, 07:49 PM
Hopefully these will be able to stand and it has a swivel on the right wrist, though it looks like the articulation is definite. If they're able to stand and whatnot, I'll buy a few and use all the older ones I have as "dead" ones.

pegger
09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
It'll only be a good figure if they use sturdier plastic. Otherwise it'll be a well articulated POS.

jedi master sal
09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm looking forward to this figure. It's about damned time we get one with this kind of articulation. At a quick estimate, I'd say I'm going to get about 60 of them. I'll use 15 each for the AOTC Battle of Geonosis and arena battle scenes and the other 30 interspersed in ROTS scenes, with a heavier concentration in the Utapau scene.

That's IF I like it from the get go. Otherwise, I'll get 2-3.

Devo
09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Looks like a good new paint scheme aswell rather than that very plastic looking blue of previous figures. Looks like a good figure, not sure how many I'd buy.

JediTricks
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
The right forearm definitely rotates, the carded angle is different from the loose one, but it seems to rotate above the elbow rather than below it - still, at least it rotates.

JEDIpartner
09-26-2006, 07:42 PM
The right forearm definitely rotates, the carded angle is different from the loose one, but it seems to rotate above the elbow rather than below it - still, at least it rotates.

Exactly!!!

kool-aid killer
09-27-2006, 12:02 PM
I just want a Super Battle Droid that isnt a hassle to keep standing. I like the battle damage though, it will help them look better if they are posed together in a battle diorama. I wonder if an improved battle droid is down the line then.

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Hasbro admitted they know about the problem and that the material hasn't been living up to requirements they set for the BDs and SBDs, but at this point I think it'll be easier to bulk up an SBD than a regular BD because they can fudge its lines easier. Still, I'd like to see a fully-transforming, solid Battle Droid figure soon, the whole design needs to be changed anyway to get it more solid and accurate.

Blue2th
09-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Still, I'd like to see a fully-transforming, solid Battle Droid figure soon, the whole design needs to be changed anyway to get it more solid and accurate.
With a rack to hang them on, attached to an MTT Troop Transport.

jedi master sal
09-27-2006, 11:40 PM
Or even the smaller one. Open aired droid shuttle. It held about 10 battle droids. I could see hasbro doing this vehicle when they revisit the Battle droid. Okay so maybe it won't hold 10 BDs. But maybe 6. That would be alright by me. Not accurate, but GEFGW (Good enough for government work) as we used to say in the military.

abell748
09-28-2006, 04:49 AM
I will get a few extra to open if the flame stuff comes off. I can see them give us this great looking SBD and then make it useless. I will be happy if the SBD is sturdy and can stand, if the chest stays together (no blast apart feature), and the flames come off. It looks great at this point with the more movie like paint and more articulation.

JediTricks
09-28-2006, 02:05 PM
I really hope that flame stuff comes off, they'd have some nerve screwing that up.

Or even the smaller one. Open aired droid shuttle. It held about 10 battle droids. I could see hasbro doing this vehicle when they revisit the Battle droid. Okay so maybe it won't hold 10 BDs. But maybe 6. That would be alright by me. Not accurate, but GEFGW (Good enough for government work) as we used to say in the military.
LEGO did the Battle Droid Carrier back in the day, very surprising considering you barely notice it in the movie. They also did 6 like you're suggesting. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=7126-1

This seems like a much more likely addition to the line than the MTT, which is huge. I'm not sure I'd really bother buying it though.

Battle Droid
09-28-2006, 02:20 PM
The Battle Droid Carrier is in ROTS also seen on Kashyyyk.

JediTricks
09-28-2006, 02:47 PM
For how long, and in what part of the screen? ;)

Battle Droid
10-06-2006, 11:21 AM
From http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=5881&zoneid=2

Galactic Hunter: Is the upcoming Galactic Marine's helmet removable? Are the flames on the 2007 Super Battle Droid removable, and are his hips ball-joints?

HASBRO: The Galactic Marine's helmet is in fact removable. The flames on the Super Battle Droid are removable, as they are snap-on parts. The Super Battle Droid is new and super-articulated with a ball joint head and waist, insert molded shoulders, elbows, and knees…but the hips are not ball joint.

Looks like you can do away with my question Jedi Tricks.

Darth Cruel
10-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Mostly good news. I guess I can be OK with the lack of ball-joints on the SBD's hips. Would have been nice, but I actually miss them more on a figure that sits on a ride like a speeder bike, swoop, or Taun-Taun.

JediTricks
10-06-2006, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I saw the question and put a strikethrough on it (I can't remove it, it'll change the shape of the list).

I don't get how they say it has a ball-jointed head when its head cannot move because it's built into the shoulders.

Battle Droid
10-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Yeah they should've gave it ball-joints in the hips or knees instead of the head.

JediTricks
10-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Hips definitely, the hips splay a lot in the scenes they're in depending on how much movement they're supposed to be doing. And look at them in SW Battlefront/BF2, the SBDs there are very limber, no way they could do most of that stuff without that kind of hip articulation.

Battle Droid
10-17-2006, 07:49 AM
New pic,

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/starwars/Combined-R2-D2_Droid.jpg

El Chuxter
10-17-2006, 10:15 AM
Wow! R2-D2 looks like he lit a fluffy on the Battle Droid!

jedi master sal
10-17-2006, 12:27 PM
New pic,

http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/news/starwars/Combined-R2-D2_Droid.jpg

Hey is that a flame in the Super Battle Droid's pocket or is he happy to see R2??? heh&

JediTricks
10-17-2006, 02:48 PM
That's so stupid, the SBD's flames are horizontal!

Battle Droid
12-02-2006, 12:07 AM
New pic with it's flames removed,

http://www.jedidefender.com/image.pl?http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/12-06/flamelessSBD.jpg

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Sweet, they FINALLY got the red light in the correct place.

TheDarthVader
12-03-2006, 06:36 PM
I did not know the sbd was hindu. It is good to see that red dot in the right place. Since I have not been collecting as many pt figures lately, I am going to pass on him even though this is going to be an excellent piece for a collection.

DarkArtist
12-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I'll pick up at least two for the scene from the movie but not sure if I'll grab extras, all depends upon the final product.

Battle Droid
01-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Holes in the Super Battle Droid?

http://www.playcenter.com.cn/lt/upload/fyzw_20071252737.jpg

http://www.playcenter.com.cn/lt/upload/fyzw_2007125115346.jpg

dindae
01-26-2007, 08:03 AM
That sucks. I won't be tempted to get too many of these now. I will still likely get a few though.

Kidhuman
01-26-2007, 08:16 AM
More than likely for the R2 flames to go into

Darth Cruel
01-26-2007, 08:29 AM
The R2 attachment is my guess as well. I still agree that it sucks, though.

DarkArtist
01-26-2007, 08:34 AM
I still get a couple of these guys, looks like I just have to get more of the camo ones as well. I think I only have three Super's anyway so a few holes won't really matter to me.

Blue2th
01-26-2007, 10:04 AM
Well, that pretty much rules this figure out for any potential army building. Or using for any loose scene other than the R2-D2 oil one. We'll have to wait till he is re-packed again without the holes to justify buying him in large quantities. Though he will probably sell well initially. :(

jedi master sal
01-26-2007, 10:42 AM
The holes won't bother me in the least. I can plug them with sculpey of the same color. Problem solved. I'll just keep one with the holes as they are for R2.

Slicker
01-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Very reminiscent of the Dannik Jerricho figure. Why don't use magnets for some of these things?

Jargo
01-26-2007, 12:42 PM
it's a good looking figure I suppose what with the added artic'. shame the plastic seems to be that really cheap polythene stuff that bends all over the place.
I think I'll be skipping this for sure and instead buy the R2 and repaint him. and trash the fuel flame attachment.

JediTricks
01-28-2007, 04:16 AM
Aww, that is super weak! What the hell is wrong with them? Why do they keep putting unsightly holes in figures? First it was Dannik Jerriko's face and now this, how do they think we won't notice?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2007, 01:00 PM
The earlier picture looks better. It's still a pretty good figure; the holes aren't as bad as Dannik's, at least. To me there's a difference between holes in a droid and giant gaping holes in someone's face.

jedi master sal
01-29-2007, 09:21 AM
The earlier picture looks better. It's still a pretty good figure; the holes aren't as bad as Dannik's, at least. To me there's a difference between holes in a droid and giant gaping holes in someone's face.

Yeah! This is how I see it too. I'm not really all that bent out of shape about this.