PDA

View Full Version : Galactic Marine vs. Snowtrooper: repaint or not? Comparison pics!

Tycho
09-25-2006, 06:04 PM
I made this comparison picture of the Galactic Marine vs. the OTC Snowtrooper. Perhaps a '97 Snowtrooper comparison might also be helpful?

However, as far as I can tell, the Galactic Marine is an all-new figure! Yaaaay!

What do you think?

Battle Droid
09-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Definately new.:yes: :D

JediTricks
09-25-2006, 06:12 PM
Completely new, not even remotely in question, none of the parts - especially the face-skirt (the larger-sized photo shows that it's cut out around the sides too) - share any hint of being previously used for Snowtrooper molds.

What your comparison best shows I think is how miserably underwhelming Hasbro's Snowtrooper figures are. :p

Tycho
09-25-2006, 06:21 PM
JT: on the sculpt I'll agree with you - for the most part the Galactic Marine is superior, though I like the Snowtrooper's face mask better. I posted a movie image so everyone can judge the authenticity for themselves.

On the color and style, I love those snowtroopers!

I'm going to add about 4 of these Marines with Bacara to cut down Ki-Adi Mundi in the scene I'm doing - similar to the one from the film I just posted, but probably $18 cheaper ;)

Slicker
09-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, definitely a brand new sculpt. I myself was quite worried that'd try and fob off a mere repaint of the Snowtrooper but I'm pleasantly surprised.

LTBasker
09-25-2006, 08:48 PM
The only possible way there is any reuse in the Galactic Marine is if they melted down unsold snowtroopers and reused the plastic. :p

Kidhuman
09-25-2006, 08:56 PM
Its new, it even has the new car figure smell.&

figrin bran
09-25-2006, 10:46 PM
all of you l.a. area collectors that are hoping that i'll stash any of these guys are out of luck because i can tell you now that i'm buying up as many as possible.

Snowtrooper
09-26-2006, 12:04 AM
This is the figure that I am most excited about getting next year. I voted for this one in the last fans choice figure poll(yeah, I know. I wasted my vote). From the look of the pics, its pretty much perfect. I'm gonna buy whatever I can get my hands on.

jedi master sal
09-26-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm planning about 1-2 dozen of these, depending on availability and my finanaces in the coming months.

Tycho
09-26-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm planning about 1-2 dozen of these, depending on availability and my finanaces in the coming months.

Why doesn't that surprise me? :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

TheCivilCollector
09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
all of you l.a. area collectors that are hoping that i'll stash any of these guys are out of luck because i can tell you now that i'm buying up as many as possible.

Just stay out of Pasadena. I wouldn't mind actually being able to find one of those. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
09-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Completely off topic for a sec- Figrin Bran, I was cursing your screenname the pther day, as I was doing a "jumble" and the letters were grifin and I could NOT get around the fact that they re-assembled into "Figrin"... took me around 10 minutes to break out of that and figure out the only other good word to be made, "firing"

Okay, proceed :beard:&

jedi master sal
09-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Why doesn't that surprise me? :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Why, should that have surprised you? heh

Val Da Car
09-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Well if I ended up with 12 DS Gunners...I hope I only need 6 of the marines. Airborne troopers on the other hand...ooh

Darth Cruel
09-27-2006, 03:05 PM
Of course this one begs to be troop-built. But now I will need another 50 Clone Trooper rifles as these appear to be packaged with the flimsy one from the evolutions pack.

And, ummm, was there someone who thought it was the same as a Snowtrooper?

dindae
09-27-2006, 03:10 PM

There were some that suggested Hasbro might take a shortcut and repaint a snowtrooper, but that was before the pictures appeared.

Tycho
09-27-2006, 03:12 PM

Umm. I wasn't sure. That's why I made that picture in post # 1.

There are similarities, but that's where it stops.

tagmac
09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Hopefully they'll be smart enough to make this guy 3 to a case, or else the scalpers will grab him like the 501st trooper.

Darth Cruel
09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
There were some that suggested Hasbro might take a shortcut and repaint a snowtrooper, but that was before the pictures appeared.

Indeed. This does have the ring of a very Hasbro-esque cheap-shot. And even with all of the obvous differences. If the rumor is true (and I don't know that it is as I have not yet performed my own comparison), they did this on the Endor Biker Scout to make the Kashyyk version of Gree's troops.

Hopefully they'll be smart enough to make this guy 3 to a case, or else the scalpers will grab him like the 501st trooper.

And if Entertainment Earth's breakdown is correct...they are off to a good start at 2 per case.

Edit - Also the Utapau Airborn is 2 per...that is more good news...if it is correct. But as far as the Galactic "Marine" goes...the single problem I have with it is that the idea behind "Marines" is an amphibious force (primarily...not exclusively). I think the Kashyyk Clones would have better represented that idealism.

COMMANDERCODY2795
09-27-2006, 08:52 PM
looks sweet, ill probably get it.

DarkArtist
09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
major improvement over the already released snow trooper and majorly joyed that Hasbro decided to go with a new sculpted figure and not another repaint.:thumbsup:

Jargo
09-27-2006, 10:38 PM
The helmet looks like a pudding basin. and as for the colour. it seems a bit GI JOE really. You guys are more than welcome to buy em all up so they don't pegwarm and stop newer figures coming through in a timely fashion.

jedi master sal
09-28-2006, 12:42 AM
The helmet looks like a pudding basin. and as for the colour. it seems a bit GI JOE really. You guys are more than welcome to buy em all up so they don't pegwarm and stop newer figures coming through in a timely fashion.

SO I take it you're not interested in them then?

If so, will you hook me up with the ones in your area? Of course I'd pay cost plus shipping and even throw in a little extra for your help.

Besides it will help you to, by getting figures to be sold in you're area, thus getting newer figures sooner.

LMK
-Sal

Jayspawn
09-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm planning on getting at least 6. Galactic Marines rule!

Cnat wiat to set up my Mygeeto scene!