PDA

View Full Version : LOTR Aragorn as Strider 12" 10 days from pre-auth

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Not SW, but it is 12" and it is Sideshow, so I figured I'd post in here. I just got my notice on Aragorn as Strider figure, 15 days from hitting LA warehouse and 10 days from pre-auth. I didn't get the exclusive unfortunately, but this figure does look very nice none the less. I'm really surprised the low interest, it's been available for months and there are STILL regular editions available out of the 4000 regular run - spells doom for this line.

Blue2th
09-27-2006, 07:57 PM
I just checked at Sideshow. They did finally sell out of Strider both versions. I forgot that I ordered Legolas exclusive also. Interesting side note: the Hobbit is coming!

JediTricks
09-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Oooh, you are so right, I was on the Strider page and only noticed the "your price" ordering element, not the part under that said it was sold out.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=9206&type=store

I also got the Legolas exclusive, but I didn't forget. They need to hurry up and do a Gandalf before the line caves.

Blue2th
09-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I've got so many Star Wars figures on the Priority Pre-order, I forgot about the LOTR's:cross-eye The next one's gotta be Gandalf the Grey. He's the only one left in the Fellowship they can use the same body for. Though I thought Gandalf was a little taller than the manfolk and elf, or is that just his hat?

Darth Cruel
09-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Technically...the Elves are supposed to be the tallest of the races. But Aragorn and Boromir and Gandalf are all of races with at least partial Elf heraldry so they get a pass. Very attentive people may have noticed in Toybiz's line that they stayed true to that and made the men of Rohan (who were not decended of Elvenkind) a little shorter. But In fact...I will probably never give it another thought unless it comes up in conversation again.

JediTricks
09-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I've got so many Star Wars figures on the Priority Pre-order, I forgot about the LOTR's:cross-eye The next one's gotta be Gandalf the Grey. He's the only one left in the Fellowship they can use the same body for. Though I thought Gandalf was a little taller than the manfolk and elf, or is that just his hat?I remember Gandalf being taller as well. Sideshow has 3 standard male bodies - short, standard, and "big boy", so maybe they could use the biggest one: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=1823

Darth Cruel
09-28-2006, 09:55 PM
Faramir is next.

Blue2th
09-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Whot? Faramir second son of Denethor younger brother of Boromir is next?

Darth Cruel
09-28-2006, 10:28 PM
That'd be him. They showed a picture of the eyes of the next figure in the podcast tonight and I am 99.9% sure it is him. Every other person who guessed agrees.

Blue2th
09-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Cool, I wonder if he will be in his woodsman clothes or armor? A little off topic, but what do you think of the Medicom Trooper they are selling tomorrow? I'm debating wether or not to get one. I just wonder about the quality. Never bought a Medicom before. I can't tell if that's black cloth under his armor, or if it's all plastic.

Reefer Shark
09-28-2006, 11:21 PM
Faramir huh? So not Gandalf then, kind of a bummer.:neutral:

On the Medicom Stormtrooper, the black undersuit is a flexible rubber-like material, and seems pretty durable. I've posed mine in many different positions and never had any problems. I hope the clone will have the same tye of material. :thumbsup:

Darth Cruel
09-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Faramir huh? So not Gandalf then, kind of a bummer.:neutral:

On the Medicom Stormtrooper, the black undersuit is a flexible rubber-like material, and seems pretty durable. I've posed mine in many different positions and never had any problems. I hope the clone will have the same tye of material. :thumbsup:

That ios pretty much what it looks like to me. There is a very good shot showing it on the gallery that newsletter subscribers got to view early. I am going to wait and see how much they are. There is a lot of speculation that they are 130.00. I am thinking 80.00 or so based on the fact that even though the Predators are 130.00, the Colonial Marines were 85.00 or 90.00 and the Stormtrooper was originally 80.00 (if I remember correctly).

Reefer Shark
09-29-2006, 10:33 AM
It'll probably be around $115 to $130. Most Medicoms go for $115 at Sideshow (Wolverine, Spider-Man, etc..), the Predators and Marines were made by a different company. The limited black costume Spider-Man went for $130 though. Since they're only getting 1000 of these, I'm thinking it'll lean towards the higher side.

Sideshow never offered the Stormtrooper, but it retails for $130 at sws.com (I paid $169 for mine last year:squareeye, I'm a sucker).

I'm gearing up for clone pre-order right now. There's no way I'm missing out on this one!

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 07:41 PM
What, Faramir? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of Sideshow doing, "well, our Boromir is selling really slowly, so let's release his less-interesting brother who doesn't get as much screen time and is fairy similar to him immedately after!" They've got a non-seller so they're going to release a sleeper afterwards? Way to kill momentum.

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 02:05 PM
I got Sideshow 12" Aragorn yesterday... wow! That is an amazing figure, even the box is special, everything about that presentation floored me. The likeness isn't perfect, the eyes are a little off, but from the front slightly above or below and from the right it's a very good interpretation. The costume is stunning work, even weathered the right way, I'm glad I'm not one of those collectors who feels compelled to strip it down and redress it, I can't imagine how some of that stuff is going to come off. And the accessories are unbelievable, so much to see, it's all so amazing. I wasn't sure about this set right up until I opened the box, I couldn't afford it and I didn't want to get stuck collecting something else, but this entry floored me.

I'll be honest, this figure shames anything Sideshow's done in the 12" Star Wars line, they just went so much further, and I really dig the 1-piece box rather than the book-style -- I like the book-style packaging for some special figures, but not every Star Wars guy needs it.

Blue2th
10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Received my notice today that Aragorn is shipping. I'm stoked from your description there JT. :thumbsup:

Darth Cruel
10-11-2006, 08:21 PM
I got mine yesterday as well. I have not yet removed the figure from the package but will be on that soon with Sideshow's quality issues. I am very curious to find out if these LOTR figures will have as many quality problems as the Star Wars ones.

Luuuuuuke
10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I'll be honest, this figure shames anything Sideshow's done in the 12" Star Wars line, they just went so much further

LOTR clothes are more elaborate, so they would have to go further. But you can tell just from looking at pictures that Strider goes beyond the SW 12" figures in detail, etc.

JediTricks
10-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I got mine yesterday as well. I have not yet removed the figure from the package but will be on that soon with Sideshow's quality issues. I am very curious to find out if these LOTR figures will have as many quality problems as the Star Wars ones.Judging based on mine, definitely not anywhere near as many quality problems - hell, even the joints feel tighter - mine could be a fluke though. The face paint isn't as good as the prototype, but that's not surprising.

LOTR clothes are more elaborate, so they would have to go further. But you can tell just from looking at pictures that Strider goes beyond the SW 12" figures in detail, etc.True enough, but what blows me away about the outfit is the materials they use, the way they fit and move, the way they're closed off - that right there is the one that I find daunting, I don't see how the sleeveless jerkin is going to be removable without untying all its little knots.

Luuuuuuke
10-12-2006, 10:12 PM
I saw pics of Aragorn posted at LOTRG and I was kind of shocked by how different it looked from the prototype. The face in particular. It looked way off to me, and I'm not that picky.

JediTricks
10-13-2006, 03:17 PM
If you mean the pics here: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=2049
(I found this link off LOTRG)
then I'd say the photography is part of the problem, that is not indicative of the figure I got. I think the shot there just is too close so it's pincushioning and the flash is too hot.

Darth Cruel
10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
After re-tying the belt (hmmm...sounds familiar) I could find no more quality issues. Sideshow did an excellent job on these and it makes me even more angry about the Star Wars figures. If they can get these done this well, what is the problem with the Star Wars line? These figures seem to me to be more complex.

I wonder if one of the requirements of obtaining the license from Hasbro was that Sideshow had to use the same manufacturer that Hasbro was. I think I will ask.

jonthejedi
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
My only problem was, also, Aragorns belt. When I tried to tighten it(way too loose when pulled up over his legs), it completely came apart & I have no reference to fix it. I don't know whether it was partially too long, but It didn't look overlapped right if that makes sense. Any help is appreciated. Was there any glue near the buckle loop...I didn't see any?