PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Q&A for the week of September 29th

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 03:43 PM
If ever there was a time for Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for September 29th, 2006, it's now.

Thanks to everybody for their patience, we have sent in the missing questions as this week's new questions so they should be answered next Friday; and thanks again to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who actually voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers, and remember to check out ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162) for their weekly Hasbro Q&A as well (which also got an update today).

Hasbro Q&A for the week of September 29th

Q: Recently you were quoted as saying that Hasbro had subcontracted the 12" figures to Sideshow as the smaller business model allowed them to manufacture collector-quality 12" figures in a more cost effective manner. Given the rabid fan base the 7" Unleashed line has generated among collectors, and Hasbro's struggles to generate a profit on this line, is there any chance that a similar arrangement could be considered for future Unleashed offerings, whether it be Sideshow or another smaller company?

A: It's possible, but for now we are keeping the Unleashed 7" line in-house while we evaluate it and run with the new tube-style packaging expression.

- -

Q: Given that Ewoks are well-known, somewhat popular (especially with kids), sell fairly well, and were a deciding factor in the final battle of the Star Wars saga, why have the Ewoks been so short-changed in the modern action figure line (8 figures, 3 of which were inaccurate Wicket repaints, in 11 years)? And, are there any plans to correct this in the future?

A: Well, there are a lot of Ewok champions here too and the little furballs will get their due. But they will be by dribs and drabs and not, by same, a Tribble-like Ewok explosion. Patience will be rewarded.

- -

Q: Titanium Series 3" Vehicle collectors are concerned over the packaging which, while quite attractive and eye-catching, has trouble with the J-hook being easily damaged and the bubble being very difficult to open. How did this unusual packaging design come about in the first place, and is there any plan to make it stronger and easier to open? (If not, please consider doing so, thank you.)

A: Thanks. The design was meant to be a premium expression for die-cast vehicles as well as something that could not be pilfered easily. As such, it is durable but can be tougher to open. We will pass on your comments about the J-hooks to the packaging team.

- -

And the questions from ActionFigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=12&p2_articleid=162):

- You were recently quoted as saying that in the 2007 basic figure line, the "alien slots" for that year were already full. Could you tell us what these various slots are (possibly something like "core character slot", "imperial character slot", "droid slot") and how many of each would be in that group? If not exact numbers, how about by approximated percentages?

- Any plans for releasing the Geonosian Cannon that was on Display with the Arena playset during Toy Fair in 2002? With all of the Clones and Jedi in the arena it'd be nice to give the Sepratists some firepower.

- Although we have what many consider to be the definitive ROTS Obi-Wan figure in the super articulated Obi-Wan Pilot figure, we still lack super articulated versions of Obi-Wan from TPM and AOTC (both of which also need better head sculpts), what about either/both versions of that?

Slicker
09-29-2006, 04:00 PM
Nothing too definitive but they are indeed getting better with there answers. I think the whole Toy Fair thing made them guarded but now they're hinting more and more.

Jargo
09-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Commenting on the AF Q&A:
Without going to extremes I can count up at least 24 cantina patrons unmade yet. 2 a year for 12 years is optimistic on the line lasting that long.

El Chuxter
09-29-2006, 04:31 PM
Would it be rude of me to suggest four follow-up questions to #1?

1) If you're trying to make the line work, why release mostly figures who weren't particularly tough to find the first (or, in some cases, second or third) time around? Why not, say, the Unmasked Vader?

2) If the main retailer complaints were shelf space and cost, why release them for 33% more in packaging that takes up about twice as much room?

3) Have you guys been in a Target lately? Have you counted the General Grievouses who are sitting under about an inch of dust?

4) Are you daft?

Seriously, I'm glad to get these answers. Though it looks like the designers really want Unleashed to work, and someone in corporate really wants it to die.

Kidhuman
09-29-2006, 05:14 PM
I dont know if you are doingh a new thread for questions being voted on, but I have one that needs to be asked:

Examining the package for Chief Chirpa, I couldnt help but feel like I was being ripped off. He isnt as tall as the otehr basic figures and his accessories were not that large. In the future, such figures as Ewoks, R2 and possibly any droids, would you consider 2 packs with them?It is a great way to get more figures out there and give collectors more for their money.

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I am setting up the next question poll thread right now, so go ahead and post it in there... and expect me to rewrite its language. ;)

By the way, I just noticed something about last week's questions which I wanted to share - sometimes I have to break ties by what I think is the better question or the one that will get a better response, there was a 5-way tie in the questions above and I had to cut 2 of them, 1 of the cut questions was...

Do you have any plans to ever make a SA (Super Articulated) Super Battle Droid?

And as we found out days before this question would have been answered if I had included it, they have a SBD with better (but not super) articulation in the very first 30anv wave... it would have been a total wasted question. :p

El Chuxter
09-29-2006, 06:29 PM
Nice to see that, in the past two weeks, three sites have asked questions that boil down to "Give us more Ewoks, dammit!" :)

pegger
09-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Can I vote for El Chuxter's #4 question?

JediTricks
09-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Goldernit! I just realized there's a 3rd week's worth of questions that Hasbro completely ignored!!!

Sent in Sept 1st:

Although we have two figures from the planet Utapau (Tion Medon and Utapaun Warrior, both Pau'an species), the ROTS planet had a second species seen in the film, the Utai - not major players in the film, but they have several moments of screen time making them at least as prominent as background characters such as the Mustafar Sentry or Neimoidian Warrior which are already figures - so are we likely to get any Utai in the near future?

Might you re-release the Naboo Fighter vehicle (last seen in Episode 2, for which there was no toy release) with appropriately-chromed aka vacuum-metallized sections?

Many Imperial, Rebel, and other-faction lower-rank troopers seen in minor roles in the films have been given names and backstories in the EU. Any chance of seeing these minor individual 'grunts' released as individual character figures thus lending satisfaction for collectors when the names and individual likenesses of these troopers see action figure recognition, as well as another way of bringing greater variety to the various trooper ranks?

What are the chances of having a Collector's Society program where fans could buy toys directly (through HasbroToyShop.com perhaps, like how the GI Joe 3 3/4" line is currently offered) that Hasbro thinks wouldn't sell well in regular stores, such as an AT-TE, Sith Inflitrator, and new playsets?

Any chance of seeing updates to major characters who have been somewhat neglected in action figure form of late, especially Qui-Gon Jinn (no new sculpt in 4 years) and Jango Fett (no truly adequate, neutrally posed sculpt at all)?

On the Saga (and currently shipping again as part of The Saga Collection's Endor wave) ROTJ Emperor Palpatine figure, why is the hood so oversized and why hasn't this been corrected?