PDA

View Full Version : Darth Vader (TSC #045) reviewed

plasticfetish
09-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Now with New and Improved Force Hat!

Though the latest wave of The Saga Collection figures (#044-#052) has a few decent figures in it, there's still a big focus on revisiting past ideas and tweaking them just a little. The new (#045) Darth Vader is a classic example of how Hasbro seems to love working and reworking old ideas.

Here's a quick review...

How's the packaging? Nothing special here, but it's nice. Typical TSC design, with a great background image, etc. (It's always hard to stay excited about the current design when you're being fed images of the next "big thing.")

So, how does the figure look? The older POTJ "Emperor's Wrath" figure is one of my favorites. When I saw that Hasbro would be taking another crack at this idea, part of me just yawned (*yawn*), but another part was happy, because it is such a cool figure, and it's nice to give others that missed out the first time a shot at owning one.

So... it looks great. The main idea from the older figure is still there -- the transparent helmet that reveals the skull, the transparent arms, and what is basically a good solid neutrally posed Darth Vader figure. What's a little new, is the color of Vader's skull under the helmet -- this time it's silver-ish, instead of white (glow-in-the-dark looking), which I'll admit, I don't like nearly as much. Another new idea is the removable right hand that reveals some mechanical bits. I's a nice touch, and it looks great.

Vader also comes with a lightsaber, which I still think is pointless for this figure (but, whatever), and some force lightning that tangles around his head. The purple plastic Force mess ends up looking more like a kind of Silly String prank gone wrong, but it's not that big of a deal.

How does the toy feel? It's a good solid figure, made just as nicely as the older Emperor's Wrath Vader. The plastic is solid, the joints are nice and tight. It's a good toy.

How about play value? Given that this figure has incorporated some new features, (the wires when you remove the right hand), I'd say that this version is perhaps even a little better as far as play value goes. Which means, yes, I'm actually saying that Hasbro managed to improve on a great idea.

Would I recommend that you buy it? If you have the older POTJ version, then you may not be terribly interested in this one. Frankly, I love the older version, and though this one is slightly "improved," it's not so different to really warrant a purchase. If you're a big fan of Vader figures, and need every version of the Dark Lord of the Sith in plastic form, then this will be a worthy addition to your collection. If you weren't lucky enough to get this figure the first time around, and don't want to hunt down the POTJ version on the secondary market, then you are exactly who this figure was made for.

As a matter of fact, I bought this Vader so that I could hand it over to my son, who's been begging me for years to find him an "Emperor's Wrath" Vader. Now he's got one, and say what you will, but Hasbro isn't completely wrong when they do these reissues of older ideas.

Photos of Darth Vader (TSC #045) can be found >> here (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=4850) in the Database.

JediTricks
09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Nice review PF. Is this a new sculpt or a reuse? I can't tell as I don't have one yet. How translucent is it compared to the previous version?

plasticfetish
10-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks!

You know, without having the old version handy (it's in storage 1000 miles away), I've had to compare the new one to photos. This new one looks like pretty much the same sculpt, but I'm not 100% sure.

The arms seem more transparent (just a little), but the head seems less. Maybe they're the same though, but it's hard to tell because what's inside -- the skull and the machine bits in the arm -- are different.

Does that make sense?

JediTricks
10-01-2006, 12:39 AM
It does make sense, I saw it in your photos as well. If you get the chance to compare in person, please do.

plasticfetish
10-01-2006, 03:39 AM
Well, it'll probably be a few months before I get back down to my storage container. ;)

Honestly, I didn't expect this one to be as similar to the POTJ version as it is. For some reason I thought it was going to be a new version... with more articulation, etc. But like I said, it's not a bad thing if you don't have the older version.

I do like the POTJ version a little more though.

JediTricks
10-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I do have the original version, but its lack of transparency was a bit frustrating. I'm beginning to think this TSC fig is just a modified version of that.

Jayspawn
10-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I found one and inspected it myself JT. Its just as you said, a modified version.

plasticfetish
10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Its just as you said, a modified version....think that's pretty much what I said also... :ermm:

;)

Jaff
10-03-2006, 10:41 PM
I got mine today, and I have to admit I like the older POTJ version. I like the fact of the mechanical bits on the hand and that's a plus for display. At first, when I saw the purple lightning I thought I had a variant because the pictures and the films show blue lightning. I wonder if they are going to change this, and this will be the next circle hand Boba Fett variant.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-28-2006, 08:48 PM
I got mine today, and I have to admit I like the older POTJ version. I like the fact of the mechanical bits on the hand and that's a plus for display. At first, when I saw the purple lightning I thought I had a variant because the pictures and the films show blue lightning. I wonder if they are going to change this, and this will be the next circle hand Boba Fett variant.I just found one today and was wondering the same thing. The picture shows blue lightning but the figure comes with purple lightning.

Edit - Actually, I'm looking at the figure now in the package and the light isn't that great and the lightning is almost invisible. The blue would stand out a lot more.

DarkArtist
10-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I thought that originally the Vader was to come with a removable skull head accessory as well ? I could have sworn I saw a pic of this somewhere.

dindae
10-30-2006, 08:16 AM
There was a picture that showed the skull and the arm but aparently that was just to show what was underneath. I don't care that they are not included except that it does mean I will have to come up with another solution to my MacBeth diorama. :thumbsup: