PDA

View Full Version : The Saint

Tycho
09-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Val Kilmer plays another master of disguise character. This time he's working for the Russian Mafia but has second thoughts when he decides he won't deliver Elizabeth Shue's character (who he falls in love with) into their waiting hands. She plays a cute scientist (are there such things?) who has invented cold fusion - an energy technique that will save freezing Russians who are without power as the world's fuel crisis crushes them and the former Soviet government collapses, but the new democracy may also die. Capitalism probably won't get the people through the winter, and the Mafia has all the monopolies on crude oil to make the fuel.

A great suspense thriller, Vilmer is a man with no name who uses aliases all tied to famous Catholic saints. An orphan who escaped poverty to become a 50 million dollar mercenary, he's entertaining as ever. Wardrobe and makeup artists did a brilliant job with this one.

Elizabeth Shue is totally cute and the movie finds every excuse to strip her down to a bra and panties as often as possible :love:

plasticfetish
09-30-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh, Val Kilmer (http://myk.is-a-geek.net/LJpics/valkilmer/Val_Kilmer_Graffiti_02.jpg)'s cool and all, but he's no Roger Moore (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055701/).

stillakid
09-30-2006, 04:42 PM
I really enjoyed this movie and the soundtrack is very cool. Shue is amazingly hot in everything. I wouldn't kick her out of the hammock.

The thing that bothered me a lot though was this artificial and convenient timing of her figuring out the formula for cold fusion. It came off as unintendedly silly. Other than that, a pretty solid movie.

JimJamBonds
10-01-2006, 08:46 AM
I thought The Sait was a decent movie, one of things I thought was weird was how it was advertised that Val plays all of these different characters yet he stops "changing" half way through the movie. (if I remember correctly its been a few years)

Tycho
10-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Well, the girl and the bad guys learn to recognize his different characters and they're off an on the run, so there's no time, supplies, or point. However, in the end he changes appearances again - but back to one of his former disguises in order to have some fun, see his girl, and fool around with the British police.

Yeah, great movie.

JON9000
10-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I thought the Saint a dreadful bore after a very nice opening sequence. The part where he gets in with Shue by impersonating a emotionally wounded artist is enough to make me cringe. The score was interesting and I did pick it up back in the day, but man, electronic music does not age very well.

I wouldn't recommend the movie.