PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for making robes on Sideshow Jedis "flow" better?

Luuuuuuke
10-01-2006, 02:47 AM
I know it can be done because I've seen pictures of Sideshow Anakins and such that drape really well over the figures. They look softer and more supple. Someone told me something about the cloak being dunked--along with the figure, but without the leather parts--in warm water. But I ain't trying that unless someone can vet that:D

I'm sure there's got to be a how-to link somewhere, but I can't find it. So far I have Sith Apprentice Anakin and Obi Wan, but their cloaks just look wrinkly, stiff and unnatural.

Reefer Shark
10-01-2006, 02:55 AM
Here's a link to a tutorial on the water treatment over at RS. (http://www.rebelscum.com/laundryday.asp)

You can still make them drape better without the water though, just need to do some pulling and tucking in the right spots.

Luuuuuuke
10-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Here's a link to a tutorial on the water treatment over at RS. (http://www.rebelscum.com/laundryday.asp)

You can still make them drape better without the water though, just need to do some pulling and tucking in the right spots.

Thanks Reefer Shark... I've futzed around with the robe on Anakin and he looks alright, but after seeing how some people have altered the look of the robe I figured it could always look better.

JediTricks
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
What about just using a spray-on starch?

Dunking your figure seems like a really bad idea I think, water will get into body elements and start destroying joints and plastics and paint. Maybe the costumes could be lightly oiled though.

That top-stick idea seems like a good one though, I hate those vest shoulder pieces always coming down on those characters. Where do you get that stuff though?

Luuuuuuke
10-01-2006, 11:30 PM

Dunking your figure seems like a really bad idea I think, water will get into body elements and start destroying joints and plastics and paint. Maybe the costumes could be lightly oiled though.

That top-stick idea seems like a good one though, I hate those vest shoulder pieces always coming down on those characters. Where do you get that stuff though?

I tried the dunking trick last night, and I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive. It worked okay, made the robe look a little better, but not all that much. Plus, if you take off the boots you're going to run into problems when you put them back on because the pants could bunch up around the knees.

nash
10-02-2006, 01:44 AM

It's just water, I really doubt it will cause any sort of harm. Unless of course your water is acid based :sad:

IMO oil and starch are both unnatural elements that will probably do more harm than good. Who wants a stiff robe/clothing or oily robes and clothing anyway?

decadentdave
10-02-2006, 03:40 AM
It's just water, I really doubt it will cause any sort of harm. Unless of course your water is acid based :sad:

IMO oil and starch are both unnatural elements that will probably do more harm than good. Who wants a stiff robe/clothing or oily robes and clothing anyway?

A couple guys did this over on the SS Freaks board and the moisture trapped in the clothes caused the leather belt to stain the robes. Talk about ring around the collar. Anyway, they had to use a detergent or something to lift the stains out. A better way to weight down the robes without submerging the figure and soaking them in water is to just get a spray bottle and spot spray specific target areas and it will dry and stiffen around the contours of the figure without need for much futzing. Works great on Qui-Gon's poncho and gives the illusion that it is longer than it really is.

btw - Nash are you the same Nash from the SS Freaks forums?

nash
10-02-2006, 03:55 AM
I'd definitely agree that the less water used would make things more managable. and also, it's very important to not get the leather parts wet since it will have adverse effects as leather would...even though the figures use pleather or whatever.

yup im the same one on SSF :P

JediTricks
10-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I tried the dunking trick last night, and I have to admit, I was a little apprehensive. It worked okay, made the robe look a little better, but not all that much. Plus, if you take off the boots you're going to run into problems when you put them back on because the pants could bunch up around the knees.
The dunking advice was to leave the boots on and drain them during the process.

It's just water, I really doubt it will cause any sort of harm. Unless of course your water is acid based :sad:Water is a universal solvent, over time water will dissolve any substance - solid, liquid, or gas - to create a new water-based solution. Water turns mountains into valleys over time, plastics and fabrics are not exactly stern stuff by comparison.

IMO oil and starch are both unnatural elements that will probably do more harm than good. Who wants a stiff robe/clothing or oily robes and clothing anyway?Oil and starch are both NATURAL elements, starch comes from plant matter and oils come from plants or animals.

Luuuuuuke
10-03-2006, 12:45 AM

I did that but I kept having a feeling that there was water in the boots. I think I just jumped the gun. I should not have taken the boots off.

I do like the idea of doing spot spraying. Though come to think of it, I futzed around with Obi Wan's robe without wetting it or anything and it looked pretty good.

nash
10-04-2006, 01:03 PM

Water is a universal solvent, over time water will dissolve any substance - solid, liquid, or gas - to create a new water-based solution. Water turns mountains into valleys over time, plastics and fabrics are not exactly stern stuff by comparison.

Oil and starch are both NATURAL elements, starch comes from plant matter and oils come from plants or animals.

WOW, ok im not going to argue with you. Anyone who wants to put Oil and Starch on their figures go right ahead! Let me know how it turns out. :)

Luuuuuuke
10-05-2006, 02:36 AM
I'm not putting no Oil and Starch on my figures, but it's not because I don't believe it will work. I'm just not that bold:D

Darth Cruel
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
I found the water tutorial...now i just need to find that futzing tutorial. I did a web search and came up with nothing...maybe I am spelling it wrong...F-U-T-Z-I-N-G...can't find it in the dictionary...a little help?

Luuuuuuke
10-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I found the water tutorial...now i just need to find that futzing tutorial. I did a web search and came up with nothing...maybe I am spelling it wrong...F-U-T-Z-I-N-G...can't find it in the dictionary...a little help?

Actually, the guy who did the RS tutorial used the word futzed or futzing, believe it or not. though that's not why I use it. It's just one of those words that kind of captures the act of messing around with something until it looks good. I guess fussing would work too, but it's kind of girly, you know?

By the way, "futzing" is generally used to mean "tweaking," with the object usually being some inanimate object. I'm not sure it's an official word though. But if you Google, you'll find it. (But you won't finding a futzing tutorial:D)

Darth Cruel
10-07-2006, 11:50 AM
Actually, the guy who did the RS tutorial used the word futzed or futzing, believe it or not. though that's not why I use it. It's just one of those words that kind of captures the act of messing around with something until it looks good. I guess fussing would work too, but it's kind of girly, you know?

By the way, "futzing" is generally used to mean "tweaking," with the object usually being some inanimate object. I'm not sure it's an official word though. But if you Google, you'll find it. (But you won't finding a futzing tutorial:D)

LOL - I like this word...I couldn't help but to have some fun with it.

Turbowars
10-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Guys it's not a big deal to do the water treatment. Simply remove the boots and belt and you will be fine. Sorry JT you would really have to be a numb nuts to spray oil or starch on these figures. :whip:

After the figure is dry, rubber band the pants at the foot and slip the boots on. If the pants still bunch use a thin stick like the size of one of the light sabers and stuff the pant legs back in.

You also can just soak the cloak and then put it on the figure to dry.

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Explain why, that's what I was asking before, what is your argument?

Turbowars
10-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Why? Are you kidding? Oil?

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 07:22 PM
No, not kidding, some kinds of clothes use oil in the fabrics to achieve a more weighted look and a different sheen to them. What about that wouldn't work? Same question with starch.

Turbowars
10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
I only know that Burlap and leathers have oils in them and I don't think the clothing that SSC uses would be good to apply oil. Do you want oil stains on the figures? By all means go ahead. I guess since you rinse starch out go ahead if you are so crazy about using it. To me it's easier to use water. It wont leave a oil stains and it wont leave the clothing stiff. Please tell us what happens when you use oil or starch.

nash
10-10-2006, 01:50 AM
heheh you said numb nuts...

JediTricks
10-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I only know that Burlap and leathers have oils in them and I don't think the clothing that SSC uses would be good to apply oil. Do you want oil stains on the figures? By all means go ahead. I guess since you rinse starch out go ahead if you are so crazy about using it. To me it's easier to use water. It wont leave a oil stains and it wont leave the clothing stiff. Please tell us what happens when you use oil or starch.Hey, I didn't say I was going to do any of this, I just wondered if they might work. I tell you what though, no way in hell I'm going to let water get into the torso, limbs, or especially heads which I believe are made of vinyl, because the water will erode the material over time.

They oil denim occasionally as well.

Turbowars
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
The water dries pal.

JediTricks
10-11-2006, 03:01 PM
How does it dry inside pieces that are mostly closed off? I've had figures I submerged keep water in them for a long time and it did eat away at their joints.

Turbowars
10-11-2006, 06:49 PM
You know what, don't do it I care give a crap. It's obvious you don't want to do it and will find every excuse not to. Just dip it in a bottle of Crisco. :thumbsup:

nash
10-13-2006, 06:18 PM
does water erode your esophagus or intestinal track? Im seriously worried now...From now on, Ill just stick to BEER!

JediTricks
10-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Do you leave water in your esophagus or intestinal track stagnant for years?

Luuuuuuke
10-13-2006, 11:34 PM

Fuuuuudge.. that would be nasty. You'd have mosquito fish swimming in your mouth and the Health Department would have to declare you a West Nile hazard if you did that:D

nash
10-15-2006, 07:10 AM

JT are you telling me that basically it's impossible to let water naturally "evaporate" from the inside of a figures joint or cavities? Come on man, get real, if you put him in any decent ventillated area it wouldnt be an issue.

Ive done water treatment to a bunch of my figures and I dont know what in the world you did to yours, but I have never had any problems using water.

JediTricks
10-15-2006, 05:02 PM
How is the evaporation going to happen inside nearly-sealed parts? A little of the top of the water might evaporate but most of that willl just condense on the walls of the part and slide back into the pooled water. And how many figures are actually left in well-ventilated areas really?

decadentdave
10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
I cannot believe you guys are debating over this whole water-treatment method from oils to evaporation. I found this thread to be pretty amusing. Come on, just use a spray bottle instead of dunking the whole figure in water. Really, futzing with a figure isn't exactly rocket science. Sheesh.

Turbowars
10-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah I know what you mean Dave. JT has issues. :yes:

Luuuuuuke
10-16-2006, 04:36 PM
I decided to put Sideshow Obi Wan in a tiny chair with his head turned back and I doused him with a little cup of water, "Flashdance" style.

JediTricks
10-16-2006, 06:54 PM
I cannot believe you guys are debating over this whole water-treatment method from oils to evaporation. I found this thread to be pretty amusing. Come on, just use a spray bottle instead of dunking the whole figure in water. Really, futzing with a figure isn't exactly rocket science. Sheesh.That will not work, the robes have to be weighted differently than they currently are, spraying it down on the outside will not produce the effect unless there's so much spray it soaks the robe - you want it to soak somewhat evenly so you can position it easily and then have it dry in that pose and a spray bottle won't cut it, that's why it gets so thoroughly dunked in the instructions linked-to earlier in the thread.

Turbo, must you be an a**hole in every thread? :p

Turbowars
10-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Yep! Somone has to put you in your place. :yes: