PDA

View Full Version : Concerning the cantina characters dear Hasbro

Jargo
10-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Now you've just said you'll do two a year until you've made them all. So if we assume that the lists are right and you're making Miiyoom Onith and Elis Helrot in 2007 that leaves:

1.) Chalmun the cantina owner (EU)
2.) Lirin Car'n (off duty member of the modal nodes)
3.)Trinto Duaba the shapeshifter (alcove with Momaw nadon)
4.) Dice Ibegon (snakelike thing annoying makes giggling noise)
5.) Melas (turban wearing alien smoking a shisha pipe)
6.) Brainiac (head like a big brain)
7.) Bom Vimdim (single horned dude wearing a metal studded jacket)
8.) Bannis Keeg (the other Duro seen with Ellors Madak)
9.) Tzizvvt (looks like a really bad home made fly mask and suit with pin pong balls glued inside)
10.) Reegesk (oversized rat in a jawa robe)
11.) Solomahal (sitting close to the cantina bar, looks like a sort of bat/mouse/thing.)
(12.) Swilla Corey (sits in alcove next to Chewbacca and kitik Keed'kak at rear of cantina with a rodian.)
13.) Jenny (Han Solo's chick, cut from the final edit but can just be seen in the background on the same side of the cantina as the Tonnika sisters talking to Greedo)
14.) Leesub Sirin (girl with big head and weird hair wears a silver outfit also near the Tonnika sisters.)
15.) Garouf Lafoe (dude who snitches on Ben and Luke to the Imperials)
16.) Yerka Mig (sits at cantina bar near Dannik Jerriko)
17.) Rycar Ryjerd (the dwarfed mustached dude at the curved end of the bar)
18.) Hrchek Kal'Fas (looks like Bossk but shorter)
19.) Saittor Kal'Fas (another bossk-a-like also shorter)
20.) Ariq Joanson (Farmer dude, stands at bar talking with Tonnkia sisters)
21&22.) Tonnika sisters (chicks in blue and green skintight outfits, beehive hairstyles.)
23.) Snivvian dude (looks identical to Takeel but doesn't have a hump like takeel, can be seen in shot with Takeel as Wuher tells luke to lose the droids.)
24.) Danz Borin (spacer dude, stands with two other identically outfitted spacers at the rear left hand side of the bar.
25.) Fourth spacer (same outfit as Danz Borin, helmet painted with stripes.)
26.) Fifth spacer (same again but spacesuit is yellow.)
27.) Big hairy dude (seen in docking bay 94 skulking under the falcon in the Jabba scene but also seen here right at the far end of the bar on the left side)
28.) Nimbanese dude (seen at the table nearest the exit as Han leaves after shooting Greedo, not Mosep as this one has white hair and is styled with a topknot.)
29.) Balding farmer dude (seen at the same table)
30.) mustached dude (in tan jacket like Ponda Baba's seen at the same table)
31.) Inquisitive farmer dude (seen peering over Ben's shoulder after he cuts down Ponda Baba)
32.) short farmer dude (basic brown tatooine outfit, has a squished up nose, looks to be no more than five feet tall. hangs at the bar with Yerka Mig at the point just before Ponda Baba gets nasty with luke)

There ARE more characters in the cantina, lurking. Just too hard to see with my limited facilities. a second Aqualish, a second Nimbanese, other farmers and locals. I only picked out the ones you CAN see.

Now, 2 a year for the next 16 years? lol

El Chuxter
10-01-2006, 04:19 PM
I'd add Het N'kik, the Jawa seated with Reegesk. Simply resculpt an existing Jawa so he can sit, and throw in a glass. If you want to appease EU fans, give him a Stormtrooper blaster and a Tusken war totem (presumably a necklace of some sort).

And let's not forget the lovely Ackmeena, the bartender on the night shift. Her melodic singing has been known to soothe cheap-looking mouse puppets and guys in crappy alien masks from Mos Eisley all the way to Saint Olaf, MN. (If you need visual reference, suffer through the Star Wars Holiday Special. Lord knows, I don't want to do that again.)

Jargo
10-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Technically they could use the sculpt for BoShek for Danz Borin and the helmeted spacer dudes. they're all the same. obviously from the same ship or it's a very common spacer outfit like the jacket Ponda Baba wears. (Luke's medal ceremony yellow one, the Mustached dude in the tan one, the Spacer dude in a blue one in the Mos Eisley streets.)

I don't need to sit through the holiday special. once was enough to indelibly burn it onto my minds eye to forever haunt me. :(

There's a whole corner of the set that's too dark to see anything in to the right of the entrance. And as I mentioned there is another Nimbanese character in the cantina which could be Mosep. There's the Dwarfed spacer from outside the cantina, a Dark skinned local dude that is seen going into the cantina. Drunken sacked out jawas, and of course the other wolfman replaced by Melas - identified by LFL as 'Defel'.

Then if you go by the drawings in the compendium edition of Inside the worlds of star wars, there's a whole load of other characters. which i won't list. so betwen the EU and the actual movies there's so many characters to be done this whole two a year thing really seems like a redundant statement because it would take them forever to fulfill.

:)

Jargo
10-14-2006, 06:23 PM
I'd add Het N'kik, the Jawa seated with Reegesk. Simply resculpt an existing Jawa so he can sit, and throw in a glass. If you want to appease EU fans, give him a Stormtrooper blaster and a Tusken war totem (presumably a necklace of some sort.

well they can combine a couple of ideas there. Take the various jawa sculpts. give them legs like the commtech one and soft goods lower robe. a kinda nod to the vintage collectors without it being too much. but you get jawas that look fresh, jawas that can sit and jawas with a helluva lot more posability. ergo more play/display value.

even a jawa that had all soft goods robe and was sculpted wrapped in the black rags and with hairy arms and painted glowing eyes rather than the silly light pipe in its head. so you get a jawa to undress lol or not..... *coff*

there's four jawa sculpts so far and possibly (pending visuals) a new one coming in 2007. could get a cool jawa out sometime between now and the day Hell freezes over?

Ackmena was pictured in the complete locations book in the cantina haggling for better money with Chalmun. if hasbro can go EU with stuff like the ESB concept cloud car (and it's appallingly bad execution both in design and construction and an awful pack-in figure) and expect it to sell, then a quality sculpt of both Chalmun and Ackmeena who are in a way accepted as belonging to the cantina in star wars lore, should a peice of cake.

A 2-pack. one it's a new wookiee and he comes with a middled aged chick who sings crap songs to drunks. I mean if you sell her with Chalmun then tons of people will still buy her just to get the wookiee. and cantina completists will want both.

Hell - Do a 3-pack:
Wuher with articulated elbows and ball jointed shoulders and swivel wrists.
ROS sneak preview wookiee (actually called Salporin according to LFL) body oversculpted with Chalmuns gilet and a new head.
Shmi body with oversculpting. doesn't have to be all new sculpt apart from the oversculpting on the outfit. The head. and the mannish hands.......

Jargo
10-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Ok so getting back to Jabba's henchmen. and them being in the cantina.
If you have the movie on freeze frame as Luke enters the cantina the camera pans from left to right. look at the left side of the bar. look down past the Tonnika sisters to the very end of the bar. There is a burly bearded guy who is one of jabba's henchmen we see in docking bay 94. with him are the other two henchmen, the one with the pointy hat (Boelo) and the one with the mustache and the goggles on his head (Geela Yeens) now to me it makes perfect sense that these guys being in the cantina seeing Greedo get iced would then alert jabba and ths be with jabba in the docking bay.

I think they're interesting enough to be figures. Their outfits are fairly diverse and each emanates a certain character. They're like three stooges. one is a big brute useful for brawls and threatening. the second is thin and wiry and looks shifty so is obviously the fidgety trigger happy nutcase. and the third is wrld weary and more intelligent and takes his time to weigh up a situation. typical henchman in other words.

to be honest, I've been wracking my brains trying to think of a good way to market them to make it as worthwhile buying these as it is to buy the better known cantina patrons. There is the Jabba's henchmen angle and packing them with a repainted Jabba could be good but that Jabba sculpt isn't the best. it could do with being much more mobile. Like made of soft rubber with some sort of frame inside that hinges so you can bend jabba's tail around and bend his fat torso back and forward. Could pack a new Jabba with a figure of the original human version in the furskins and call it an evolutions deluxe pack. anyway - there's that option, docking bay 94. multi-pack them.
or pack them individually same as the other cantina patrons. or twin them with a better known one. like Boelo and commtech Greedo, Geela Yeens with POTF2 Takeel. The burly no name henchman with (rescaled to be larger and more accurate)Ellors Madak - for example.

Another patron needing some love is Dr. Evazan. we've had to figures of him and both based round the same sculpt. Both very poor. The character is ugly in the extreme and with todays sculpting standards could be vastly improved as a figure. nothing wrong with the legs from the second release but his torso, arms and head need some serious attention. His torso needs sculpting as as a bare chested shirt open and dishevelled drunk. his waistcoat is worn in an uneven way. His arms could benefit from being articulated with elbows and swivel wrists. and ball jointed shoulders. and his head, well start over on that. use the reference pics in the Chronicles book and give him the huge bulbous malformed nose and hair lip, his weird right eye halfway up his forehead and the distorted right side of his face. his balding head and general grubby appearance. I think kids can take his ugliness and collectors would appreciate a nifty villain that's really ugly.

Rogue II
10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Good job researching the names. My top 4 from the Cantina would be Bom Vimdim, Trinto Duaba, Brainiac, and a new Dr. Evazan. The Garouf Lafoe and the Takeel/Bossk-like aliens would also be welcome.

Melas should be easy enough. Didn't they just take the mask from that one green elephant looking alien, turn it upside down, and put a turbin over the "nose"? I can't remember the alien's name, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but it was in the POTJ line. One would think Bannis Keeg would be pretty easy for them to make, too. As you pointed out in another thread about the Ugnaught in Jabba's palace, a lot of background characters could be done with some kit bashing of existing figures.

Good job researching the names. My top 4 from the Cantina would be Bom Vimdim, Trinto Duaba, Brainiac, and a new Dr. Evazan. The Garouf Lafoe and the Takeel/Bossk-like aliens would also be welcome.

Jargo
10-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Ketwol. and yeah they turned his head around to make Melas.

Saw a nifty custom around here somewhere using a Tatooine luke body with a Duro head to make Bannis Keeg. think it might have been mastermatt's. would prefer a new sculpt but if they did kitbash the character I doubt I'd grumble too much.

There's also a second Gotal in the cantina. filmed during pick up shots in CA. it's the same head and hands as Feltipern Trevag but the costume is a long brown coat with furry edging over some drab tan looking long robe and pants.

playing around with brightness and contrast on screen captures I actually found the goofy looking fly (Tzizvvt) in the alcove to the right of the entrance. right at the back in the shadows. sitting with the white haired nimbanese and some middle aged farmer who is seen exiting the cantina as Han leaves where suddenly the white haired nimbanese is sitting at a table to the left of the bar (or right as it is from the cameras pov)

The second Aqualish I thought I saw turned out to be the red haired Nimbanese instead. (Mosep) which puts four of Jabba's henchmen plus Greedo in the cantina.

Solomahal or 'haremouse' as some call it, is seen as the camera first pans across the whole of the bar. standing talking to Danz borin, the camera passes the bar to the right (apparently in one take) and there again is Solomahal sitting at a table between two alcoves. In the costume notes he's described as 'the colonel' and wears a kind of tan/olive coat with a blue shoulder panel. big round fat body and fat thighs with boots.

One i know hasbro won't ever do is the Ron Cobb design for a reddish jellyfish alien. he drew it chilling at a table with a glass of something and I've always loved the idea on non bipedal aliens being in the cantina. (I have my dianoga in my cantina with it's long bendy tentacle holding a drink in a 'cheers!' sort of way). be so cool to get a concept figure of the jellyfish alien though.

my research continues......

pbarnard
10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
K
Saw a nifty custom around here somewhere using a Tatooine luke body with a Duro head to make Bannis Keeg. think it might have been mastermatt's. would prefer a new sculpt but if they did kitbash the character I doubt I'd grumble too much..

nope, me. But I stole the idea from some one else at FFURG.

Jargo
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
I finally got the Kitik/Wuher/Evazan cantina set this week and have to wonder what on earth they were thinking when they applied all that paint wash to Wuher, poor guy looks like he's been dragged through a sewer. I shall be repainting Kitik the correct greeny yellow with yellow eyes and may redo the skirt to look more bulbous like it did in the movie. I'm reckoning that she had a fashion hiccup with the puffball look lol (yeah I know it was tide Jack Purvis the puppet operator) I just prefer the bulbous look to the hasbro sculpting on it. I dunno, I may just remove the skirt altogether and do a little sculpting to fix the gap. let her be naked. i'm sure if they'd had more money for animatronics back then she would have been naked.

mmm. I'm also pondering which Wookiee to use to custom build a Chalmun. Someone suggested the sneak preview wookiee (Salporin according to LFL) would be a good choice but he seems too bulky to me. I actually think blue card SAGA Bespin Chewie would make a better base with the bandolier removed and a gilet sculpted over the torso and a new head. I like the Rorworr head but it looks a little young. though with careful repaint could look older. I'll probably give it a go and see how it turns out.

pbarnard
10-18-2006, 02:14 PM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/merumeru/index.html

Except Lucas (or ROTS production staff) have a different name...

But the preview wookie and Tarful are able to be interchanged pretty easily. The two warriors, any chewie, and the roworr figs tend to be better fits with each other.

Jargo
10-19-2006, 05:45 AM
http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/salporin/

seems like the preview version is a mix of both.

I was originally going to use a Yarua. as a base. been holding off a lot of customising until now as I had no workspace. Just got a nice section of my loft converted into one though so off I go over winter. One of the first things I've done is to shove a Labria head on the POTJ jedi training Qui-Gon body to give myself a Vilmarh Grahrk. Also shoved a Ree Yees head on a Pote Snitkin body (as a base) and both look really cool.

tsk. I'm digressing.....

JON9000
10-19-2006, 01:26 PM
It doesn't look like the set was big enough to hold so many characters, sheesh!

Of course, when they are done, you'll get two-packs included with a booth. ;)

Jargo
10-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Don't forget a lot was added in pick up shots and increased the amount of characters. Such as the band who were added after the London shoot. The set was pretty crowded though judging by still shots from the London shoot.

Hardest part of researching this is finding names for the characters. do I use the LFL jokey names, or the Decipher cards names, or what? I'm in the process of creating a pictorial list. names to faces and where to spot them. And when I'm done with the cantina I'll do Jabba's palace.

You may rejoice at will. lol

pbarnard
10-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Hardest part of researching this is finding names for the characters. do I use the LFL jokey names, or the Decipher cards names, or what? I'm in the process of creating a pictorial list. names to faces and where to spot them. And when I'm done with the cantina I'll do Jabba's palace.

Both are considered correct. LFL used the names initially just for the call sheets, but it was the EU/Decipher that ended up naming just about everything which is why every prequal character no matter how minor was given a name. It just makes sense that they needed names, after all writing a story about Walrusman isn't that realistic, but hokey even by Star Wars standards. Names were needed.

There is good news. I saw some 5-7 year old aged boys at Target the other day talking about the "new bounty hunters" that came out recently. The figures they were holding, Hem Dazon and Momaw Nadon. Didn't have the heart totell them, because well another generation that wants aliens is one the way.

Rogue II
10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
There was a web site called "red 6" who had the names of a lot of the background characters. I might still have the link somewhere.

I don't know if you saw it, Mr. Daddypants, but the Saga Bespin Chewbacca is being re-released towards the end of the current line. I just thought you might want to know in case you need some spare wookie parts.

Note to self: Read Hem Dazon's biography.

Jargo
10-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Allegedly a lot of names on RED 6 were made up by RED 6 themselves. which is why I get confused occasionally.... Often.

BTW, anyone got a really hi rez picture of the WAL*MART exclusive 30th anniversary commemorative tin set contents loose? I know pics were floating round but I haven't seen a hi rez pic anywhere.

JediCole
01-06-2007, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=MR. DADDYPANTS;506580]]One i know hasbro won't ever do is the Ron Cobb design for a reddish jellyfish alien. he drew it chilling at a table with a glass of something and I've always loved the idea on non bipedal aliens being in the cantina. (I have my dianoga in my cantina with it's long bendy tentacle holding a drink in a 'cheers!' sort of way). be so cool to get a concept figure of the jellyfish alien though.
QUOTE]

It is nice to see that I am not the only person who loved this Ron Cobb design. It always struck me as more of a plant creature (given that Cobb illustrates it with a leaf-like tendril draped into its drink glass) but I can see a kind of jellyfish influence there as well. While it is little recognized in the EU (I don't believe I've seen anyone use this character in the comics, though I've not seen most of them) it was immortalized somewhere between 1988 and 1999 in one of the metal miniatures packs from Grenadier Models as part of their Star Wars line produced for use with West End Games' gaming products. It came in a three-pack blister titled "Aliens of the Galaxy #1" along with Nein Nunb and an Ithorian. See the link below for an image I found of the set:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~tpope/sol/west-end-games/images/40429.jpg

So who knows, as the EU becomes more and more prevailant in the Hasbro line-up we may yet see this intreped (if unused) cantina patron in the future. Especially given (and I come by this information on good authority) that the Star Wars Holiday Special cartoon version of Boba Fett will be joining the line in 2007! Could the Chewbacca family be far behind?

Jargo
01-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Produced so far:
Cantina interior:
1.) Wuher
2-6.) The Modal Nodes (Figrin D'an, Ickabel G'ont, Tedn Dahai, Tech Mo'r, Nalan Cheel)
7.) Cantina band member (The mailaway figurecould be said to be Doikk Na'ts)
8.) Kitik Keed’Kak (inaccurately brown version)
9.) Chewbacca
10.) BoShek
11.) Obi-Wan Kenobi
12.) Luke skywalker
13.) Ponda Baba
14.) Dr. Evazan
15.) Kabe
16.) Dannik Jerikko
17.) Nabrun Leids
18.) Takeel
19.) Momaw Nadon
20.) Myo
21.) Muftak
22.) Feltipern Trevag
23.) M’iiyoom Onith
24.) Elis Helrot
25.) Djas Puhr
26.) Greedo
27.) Han Solo
28.) Lak Sivrak
29.) Labria
30.) Ketwol
31.) Ellors Madak
32.) Hem Dazon
32.) Zutton (POTJ Holiday special version)

Cantina exterior:
33.) Garindan (Though I’m sure he’s also seen inside the cantina somewhere)
34.) R2-D2
35.) C-3PO
36.) R3-T2
37.) R1-G4
38.) Lin mining droid
39,) Sandtrooper (various versions)
40.) Dewback (very green and docile looking version)
41.) Ronto w/Jawa
42.) Luke’s XP-34 Landspeeder

************************************************** *****************************************
Unproduced:
Cantina interior:
Around the bar:
1.) Chalmun (The Cantina owner EU)
2.) Ackmeena (Night bar staff, Holiday special)
3.) Tork (The bouncer. Holiday special)
4.) Lirin Car'n (Off duty member of the Modal Nodes)
5.) Garouf Lafoe (Dude who snitches on Ben and Luke to the Imperials)
6.) Yerka Mig (Sits at Cantina bar near Dannik Jerriko)
7.) Rycar Ryjerd (The dwarfed moustached dude at the curved end of the bar)
8.) Hrchek Kal'Fas (Looks like Bossk but shorter)
9.) Saittor Kal'Fas (Another Bossk-a-like also shorter)
10.) Ariq Joanson (Farmer dude, stands at bar talking with Tonnkia sisters)
11 & 12.) Brea and Senni Tonnika (Chicks in blue and green skin tight outfits, beehive hairstyles.)
13.) Xinton** (Snivvian dude Looks identical to Takeel but doesn't have a hump like Takeel, can be seen in shot with Takeel as Wuher tells Luke to lose the droids.)
14.) Jaago N’aym** (Jabba’s henchman. Burly bearded dude seen here right at the far end of the bar on the left side. Seen later in docking bay 94)
15.) Boelo (Jabba’s henchman. Wears long brown coat and pointy cap. Seen later in docking bay 94)
16.) Geela Yeens (Jabba’s henchman wears headband and goggles. Seen later in docking bay 94)
17.) Mungo** (Short farmer dude. Basic brown Tatooine outfit, has a big squished up nose, hangs at the bar with Yerka Mig at the point just before Ponda Baba gets nasty with luke)
18.) The Colonel (Identical to Solomahal. Seen on the same side of the bar as Danz Borin)
19, 20 & 21.) Danz Borin, Igno**, Trac Kinn** (Spacer dudes, stand at the rear left hand side of the bar.)
22.) Anion Schin** (Fourth spacer Same outfit as Danz Borin, helmet painted with stripes.)
23.) Merc Sun (Inquisitive farmer dude Seen peering over Ben's shoulder after he cuts down Ponda Baba)

At tables:
24.) Reegesk (Oversized rat in a long Jawa robe)
25.) Solomahal (Sitting close to the Cantina bar, looks like a sort of bat/mouse/thing.)
26.) Het N'kik (Jawa sat with Reegesk and Solomahal near Dr. Evazan)
27.) Ayep** (Nimbanese like Mosep. Seen at the table nearest the exit as Han leaves after shooting Greedo, not Mosep as this one has white hair and is styled with a topknot.)
28.) Debnoli (Balding farmer dude seen at the same table)
29.) Garon Gendi** (Mustached dude In tan jacket like Ponda Baba's, seen at the same table)
30.) Ket Maliss (Nasty looking mouth. Holiday special)
31.) Kelbo (Has what looks like a smoothed off Nikto head. Holiday special)

In alcoves:
32.) Trinto Duaba (Shapeshifter in alcove with Momaw Nadon)
23.) Dice Ibegon (Snakelike thing. Makes annoying giggling noise)
34.) Defel (Wolfman with glowing red eyes. Replaced by Melas in special edition)
35.) Gotal. Long brown coat with furry edging over some drab tan looking long robe and pants. Seen walking behind Greedo as he threatens Han)
36.) Melas (Turban wearing alien smoking a Shisha pipe)
37.) Brainiac (Head like a big brain)
38.) Bom Vimdim (Single horned dude wearing a metal studded jacket)
39.) Bannis Keeg (The other Duro seen with Ellors Madak)
40.) Tzizvvt (Looks like a really bad home made fly mask and suit with ping pong balls glued inside)
41.) Swilla Corey (Sits in alcove next to Chewbacca and kitik Keed'kak at rear of Cantina with a Rodian.)
42.) Jenny (Han Solo's chick, seen in the background on the same side of the cantina as the Tonnika sisters talking to Greedo)
43.) Leesub Sirin (Girl with big head and weird hair wears a silver outfit near the Tonnika sisters.)
44.) Tr’feau** (Fifth spacer. Same spacesuit as BoShek but spacesuit is yellow.)
45.) Mosep (Jabba’s Nimbanese accountant)
46.) Yesti Nett** (Old man farmer. Seen in alcove with Tzizvvt and Ayep** but also leaving the cantina just as Han does)

Concept characters:
1.) Thhhhh** (Jellyfish/plant alien.Ron Cobb design)
2.) Yumbo** (Ron Cobb design intended as Cantina creature eventually used in a cereal advertisement with C-3PO)
3.) Frink** (Gotal.(Ron Cobb original design)
4.) Womp rat? (McQuarrie production painting of Cantina)

Cantina exterior:
1.) Alleen** (Dwarfed spacerPilot of the Void Spider speeder. Rycar Ryjerd’s Chauffer perhaps?)
2.) Drunken sacked out Jawa (In the doorway as Luke and Ben enter the cantina)
3.) R5-B2** (White body with black head)
4.) R2-F0** (White body with blue and black head)
5.) GNK-F1** (Grey with fancy markings and pipes round top)
6.) Jerba beast of burden (One is tethered next to a Bantha by the doorway and another is tethered farther round the side of the Cantina)
7.) Dewback (Second one added in special edition[?] with more of a red skin tone than the one tethered to the cantina)
8.) Ubrikkian Z001-9000 Speeder (Sometimes referred to as an escape pod)
9.) Mobquet A1-Deluxe Floater (Also seen in Wioslea’s used speeder lot)
10.) Sorosuub XP-35 Landspeeder (Angular design, white black and yellow)
11.) Void Spider Speeder (multi-legged white vehicle)

**for the sake of identification I’ve given these characters names. If anyone knows of any names already given let me know. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-11-2007, 07:13 PM
You forgot the mouse thing from the Holiday Special. :p

Jargo
01-11-2007, 07:17 PM
CURSE YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
you mean the Tin Tin Dwarf? That looks like it belongs in that new Rene Zelweger movie about Beatrix potter. Or harry potter......

bigbarada
01-11-2007, 08:49 PM
Wow! That's actually a pretty impressive achievement, Daddypants (Jargo).

I need to work on a list like that for Jabba's Palace and Sail Barge; but I'm too much of a slacker.

I would love to see the Jellyfish Alien! If Lucas just had to add a CG alien into the Cantina, why couldn't it have been this one?

Jargo
01-12-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm going to do a Palace list next. should have it ready to post over the weekend.

DarkArtist
01-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Just want the curved piece and drink dispenser thingie and a few more aliens. would like the tonnika sisters, a new wuher, and maybe chalmin the wookie.

jedi master sal
01-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Just want the curved piece and drink dispenser thingie and a few more aliens. would like the tonnika sisters, a new wuher, and maybe chalmin the wookie.

Yeah two curve pieces and the two Tonnika sisters would do just fine.
Maybe a deluxe set with one fig and curve bar piece each? I know it didn't work all that well before, but that's because they were using overly done fiures and bad sculpts. The Tonnika sisters are new and I'd be hopeful that the articulation would be improved upon those wretched bar deluxe sets of the past.

Rogue II
01-20-2007, 09:31 AM
It occured to me that I only bought the original 3 cantina figures, so I only have 3 straight pieces. I wonder if they will re-release the straight sections, otherwise, I have to hit ebay.

dindae
01-22-2007, 03:20 PM
I doubt they will rerelease them but it should be too hard to pick up 3 bar pieces since none of those figures were very good.

Rogue II
01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I've started to look at e-bay and some of the online retailers. I might pick up the second KMart exclusive set with the Blue snaggletooth. Yes, the other 2 figures blow, but there is only 1 decent figure in the other KMart exclusive set and it is being rereleased shortly in the Walmart wave.

Jargo
01-26-2007, 07:21 PM
I bought the single carded bar sets and the Kitik cinema scene bar set. so i got me six pieces. I think selling the curved bar end in two sections would be cool. that way they can do one Tonnika sister and just do a running change on it halfway through the production run. it would minimise on pegwarming for sure.

technicaly there are no likeness issues with the Tonnikas. If we are to follow the EU, the chicks in the cantina wren't the real Tonnikas. they were absent that day. So if hasbro were to sculpt different faces on the figures there can't be any arguments because LFl owns the rights to the costumes and wigs likeness. surely they do. And with facial likeness not of the actresses there's no royalty fee to pay. It's really simple. so simple there must be some other issue like LFL not owning the costume likeness rights. It is possible with the way the extras were cobbled together with old costumes and ropey looking masks that the sisters costumes came from an old movie or TV show.

as for the bar distillery, i have no idea who to suggest comes with that. as long as they're new characters i don't mind.

DarkJediCole
02-21-2007, 01:45 PM
This was a great thread to follow. I am silly for the Cantina and Jabba's Palace so needless to say the last few years have been great. Especially considering that I've been collecting Star Wars figures since the Early Bird Set (that's the 1977 edition) and I always felt that the Cantina got the short end of the stick! Only four creatures!

My contemporary figure display for the Cantina just keeps getting better and better as long-awaited favorites are being produced. I am very much looking forward to adding Elis Helrot to the mix very soon. Now we can have a Cantina that looks like it has some patrons!

I felt that Hasbro missed out on a golden opportunity with Lak Sivrak by giving him a weapon that looked like a Dreadnok weapon instead of having Dice Ibegon be the accessory piece. They could redeem themselves in this regard by packing Dice in with any number of other denizens of the Cantina that have yet to be released. I did always think it was great that Lak Sivrak was granted action figure status some years before the elephantine monstrosity that crudely replaced him in the Special Edition. Lucas went to great pains to erase the "wolfmen" but the toy line featured one of them prominantly!

The bottom line is this (something I used to say quite often back when my JediCole screenname still worked) - each new obscure, background character produced opens the door for so many more. I can assure you that in 1995 Hasbro/Kenner had no intentions of ever considering figures like Elis Helrot, Major Bren Derlin, or the LIN Droid. The shift in their thinking of the Star Wars line as "just for kids" to "for collectors" took a number of years and the concerted efforts of a great many die-hard fans. This shift has been evident in so much of what has been produced in the last five to ten years and in their plans for the years to come.

Jargo
02-21-2007, 02:50 PM
strangely, there's a wolfman jedi planned later in the year. I was looking at my Lak Sivrak figure thinking that a new sculpt with a more detailed head and some more articulation would benefit him greatly. even changing the jacket colour to the correct brown.
I do feel pleased to own one. I must have a fair few figures in my collection that people clamour for because they missed them. There again, i've sometimes over extended myself financially to obtain some of the rarer figures.

I agree though that the cantina does look good with all the figures we have. I can live without some of the humans. the farmers and so on but i think if hasbro were to complete the cantina with the aliens (or monsters as Lucas insists on calling them) seen in there it would give us a solid collection. It seems right now that hasbro is making the aliens from the alcoves in preference. hope they don't forget the aliens around the bar itself.

Droid
02-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I do not want Dice Ibegone to be a packin. I worry Hasbro would underscale her or make her only the trunk we saw in the movie. I would like a full bodied creature with an EU body. I picture either a trunk on a coiled snake body or perhaps a four legged creature with the trunk we saw in the movie like the head of a giraffe.

DarkJediCole
02-22-2007, 01:41 PM
I do not want Dice Ibegone to be a packin. I worry Hasbro would underscale her or make her only the trunk we saw in the movie. I would like a full bodied creature with an EU body. I picture either a trunk on a coiled snake body or perhaps a four legged creature with the trunk we saw in the movie like the head of a giraffe.

Good point, Droid! While Hasbro seems to be giving us larger and larger pack-ins (the LIN Droid coming with Jawa, Luke with a Moisture Vaporator), toy manufacturers are notorious for glossing over characters used as pack-ins. A good example of this can be seen in Playmates' Star Trek line where figures of some of the "kids" (Worf's son Alexander, Quark's nephew Nog) were produced as terrible, non-articulated PVC figurine pack-ins rather than propper figures.

I've seen some custom figures of Dice over the years and most depict her in a serpentine form. While that is an easy approach I would far rather see her have some form of body. I have invisioned something along the lines of what you suggest here, a four-legged body with a lengthy neck. The problem with a serpentine body is you either get a solid plastic body or you get a "bendy". And bendy bodies just don't work well from the standpoint of displaying a loose figure as they are difficult to balance well. A good choice would be to have a Dice figure with an alcove table pack-in, we need alcove tables after all! Hopefully Hasbro will hear our pleas and give us a decent Dice Ibegon.

El Chuxter
02-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I think they'd go off existing EU stuff, where she's most definitely serpentine.

Jargo
02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
there's that creature in the dejarik game that's sorta similar. it's in the sideshow set. http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/2142_press02-001.jpg and i could accept something along those lines. or I'd accept that the bit od Dice we saw was just a trunk like nose. and the rest of Dice could be anything. it could be a rectal like creature similar to the dianoga and sarlacc.
it could be like a jellyfish or a bug eyed fat hairy round scavenger critter. as long as that bit of Dice we see is on the figure I'll accept it. unless LFL can dig up some design drawings hat show what the rest of the creature should have looked like.

Jargo
04-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Unproduced Cantina figures [revised]:
** indicates no known name for the character

Around the bar:
1.) Garouf Lafoe (Dude who snitches on Ben and Luke to the Imperials)
2.) Yerka Mig (Sits at Cantina bar near Dannik Jerriko)
3.) Rycar Ryjerd (The dwarfed moustached dude at the curved end of the bar)
4.) Hrchek Kal'Fas (Looks like Bossk but shorter)
5.) Saittor Kal'Fas (Another Bossk-a-like also shorter)
6.) Ariq Joanson (Farmer dude, stands at bar talking with Tonnkia sisters)
7 & 8.) Brea and Senni Tonnika (Chicks in blue and green skin tight outfits, beehive hairstyles.)
9.) Snivvian dude (Looks identical to Takeel but doesn't have a hump like Takeel, can be seen in shot with Takeel as Wuher tells Luke to lose the droids.)
10.) **Burly bearded dude (Jabba’s henchman. seen here right at the far end of the bar on the left side. Seen later in docking bay 94)
11.) Boelo (Jabba’s henchman. Wears long brown coat and pointy cap. Seen later in docking bay 94)
12.) Geela Yeens (Jabba’s henchman wears headband and goggles. Seen later in docking bay 94)
13.) **Mutant nosed farmer (stands talking to Obi-Wan at bar as Luke scans the cantina from the steps. has a weird potato like twisted up nose)
14.) The Colonel (Identical to Solomahal. Seen on the same side of the bar as Danz Borin)
15.) Danz Borin (Spacer dude, stands at the rear left hand side of the bar.)
16.) **Spacer#2 (Stands at the rear left hand side of the bar. outfit appears to be similar to Bo'Shek's but yellow not black)
17.) **Spacer#3 (Spacer dude, stands at the rear left hand side of the bar.)
18.) **Spacer#4 (Same outfit as Danz Borin, helmet painted with stripes or chevrons.)
19.) Merc Sunlet (Inquisitive farmer dude Seen peering over Ben's shoulder after he cuts down Ponda Baba)
20.) **Greasey local (stands on the left hand side of the bar beyond the Tonnika sisters.
21.) **Young local (basic farmer type guy in simple tunic like luke's. seen on left hand side of the bar near the Tonnika's)
22.) Datun (Gotal like Feltipern Trevag. Long brown coat with furry edging over some drab tan looking long robe and pants. Seen walking behind Greedo as he threatens Han)
23.) Leesub Sirin (Girl with big head and weird hair wears a silver outfit near the Tonnika sisters.)

At tables:
25.) Solomahal (Sitting close to the Cantina bar, looks like a sort of bat/mouse/thing.)
27.) Mosep Binneed (Jabba’s Nimbanese accountant has white hair in a topknot and white moustache. can be seen when Han exits the cantina sitting at a table to the right with the unknown Snivvian.)
28.) Debnoli (Balding farmer dude seen at the same table. wears long coat with intricate piping detail)
29.) **Mustached dude (In tan jacket like Ponda Baba's, seen at the same table conversing with Debnoli)

In alcoves:
30.) Trinto Duaba (Shapeshifter in alcove with Momaw Nadon. face like death)
31.) Dice Ibegon (Snakelike thing. Makes annoying giggling noise)
32.) Arliel Schous(Wolfman with glowing red eyes. Replaced by Melas in special edition)
33.) Melas (Turban wearing alien smoking a Shisha pipe)
34.) Brainiac (Head like a big brain)
35.) Bom Vimdim (Single horned dude wearing a metal studded jacket)
36.) Bannis Keeg (The other Duro seen with Ellors Madak)
37.) Tzizvvt (Looks like a really bad home made fly mask and suit with ping pong balls glued inside)
38.) Swilla Corey (Sits in alcove next to Chewbacca and kitik Keed'kak at rear of Cantina with a Rodian.)
39.) Jenny (Han Solo's chick, seen in the background on the same side of the cantina as the Tonnika sisters talking to Greedo)
40.) Tawss Khaa (Nimbanese. Not Mosep as this one has red hair and is apparently also an acountant)
41) **Old man farmer (Seen in alcove with Tzizvvt and Tawss Khaa but also leaving the cantina just as Han does)
42.) Lirin Car'n (Off duty member of the Modal Nodes. wears a poncho)

Cantina exterior:
1.) **Dwarf Pilot (seen next to the THX-1138 Void Spider speeder. wears peaked hat and goggles and has a stripey sleeved costume)
2.) **3 Drunken sacked out Jawas (In the doorway as Luke and Ben enter the cantina)
3.) **R5 unit (White body with black head)
4.) **R2 unit (White body with blue and black head)
5.) **GNK unit (Grey with fancy markings and pipes round top)
6.) **Ronto wrangler dude (walks across frame as Luke's speeder approaches the cantina leading an unsaddled Ronto. wears a long black leather waistcoat.)
7.) Lasa (Jawa with really hairy arms that fondles Luke's speeder)
8.) **Local dude (walking towards the cantina as the ronto passes in front of camera. wears a tan pocketed jacket and floppy brimmed hat.)

Beasts:
1.) Jerba beast of burden (One is tethered next to a Dewback by the doorway and another is tethered next to the Ubbrikian globe shaped speeder)
2.) Dewback (Second one added in special edition with more of a red skin tone than the one tethered to the cantina)

Vehicles:
1.) Ubrikkian Z001-9000 Speeder (Sometimes referred to as an escape pod. parked on the corner of the cantina)
2.) Mobquet A1-Deluxe Floater (Also seen in Wioslea’s used speeder lot. parked behind the large entrance dome)
3.) Sorosuub XP-35 Landspeeder (Angular design, white black and yellow. crosses screen going the other way to Luke's speeder.)
4.) TX-1138 Void Spider Speeder (multi-legged white vehicle. parked across the street from the cantina next to Luke's speeder)

Concept characters:
1.) Revwien (plant alien. Ron Cobb design)
2.) **C-3PO's cereal alien Ron Cobb design intended as Cantina creature eventually used in a cereal advertisement with C-3PO)
3.) **'High Tundra' (Gotal.(Ron Cobb original design)
4.) **rat creature (McQuarrie production painting of Cantina)
5.) **Owl alien (McQuarrie production painting of Cantina)
6.) **Spacer wearing heavy breathing aparatus (McQuarrie production painting of Cantina)

I haven't included any Holiday Special characters because it's been established that the cantina in the HS is a different cantina entirely. I've only included those characters seen on screen or specifically designed for the ANH cantina.

jedi master sal
04-02-2008, 08:11 AM

Around the bar:
7 & 8.) Brea and Senni Tonnika (Chicks in blue and green skin tight outfits, beehive hairstyles.)
9.) Snivvian dude (Looks identical to Takeel but doesn't have a hump like Takeel, can be seen in shot with Takeel as Wuher tells Luke to lose the droids.)
10.) **Burly bearded dude (Jabba’s henchman. seen here right at the far end of the bar on the left side. Seen later in docking bay 94)
11.) Boelo (Jabba’s henchman. Wears long brown coat and pointy cap. Seen later in docking bay 94)
12.) Geela Yeens (Jabba’s henchman wears headband and goggles. Seen later in docking bay 94)
13.) **Mutant nosed farmer (stands talking to Obi-Wan at bar as Luke scans the cantina from the steps. has a weird potato like twisted up nose)
14.) The Colonel (Identical to Solomahal. Seen on the same side of the bar as Danz Borin)
16.) **Spacer#2 (Stands at the rear left hand side of the bar. outfit appears to be similar to Bo'Shek's but yellow not black)
18.) **Spacer#4 (Same outfit as Danz Borin, helmet painted with stripes or chevrons.)
19.) Merc Sunlet (Inquisitive farmer dude Seen peering over Ben's shoulder after he cuts down Ponda Baba)
20.) **Greasey local (stands on the left hand side of the bar beyond the Tonnika sisters.
21.) **Young local (basic farmer type guy in simple tunic like luke's. seen on left hand side of the bar near the Tonnika's)
22.) Datun (Gotal like Feltipern Trevag. Long brown coat with furry edging over some drab tan looking long robe and pants. Seen walking behind Greedo as he threatens Han)
23.) Leesub Sirin (Girl with big head and weird hair wears a silver outfit near the Tonnika sisters.)

At tables:
27.) Mosep Binneed (Jabba’s Nimbanese accountant has white hair in a topknot and white moustache. can be seen when Han exits the cantina sitting at a table to the right with the unknown Snivvian.)
28.) Debnoli (Balding farmer dude seen at the same table. wears long coat with intricate piping detail)
29.) **Mustached dude (In tan jacket like Ponda Baba's, seen at the same table conversing with Debnoli)

In alcoves:
32.) Arliel Schous(Wolfman with glowing red eyes. Replaced by Melas in special edition)
37.) Tzizvvt (Looks like a really bad home made fly mask and suit with ping pong balls glued inside)
38.) Swilla Corey (Sits in alcove next to Chewbacca and kitik Keed'kak at rear of Cantina with a Rodian.)
39.) Jenny (Han Solo's chick, seen in the background on the same side of the cantina as the Tonnika sisters talking to Greedo)
40.) Tawss Khaa (Nimbanese. Not Mosep as this one has red hair and is apparently also an acountant)
41) **Old man farmer (Seen in alcove with Tzizvvt and Tawss Khaa but also leaving the cantina just as Han does)

Cantina exterior:
1.) **Dwarf Pilot (seen next to the THX-1138 Void Spider speeder. wears peaked hat and goggles and has a stripey sleeved costume)
2.) **3 Drunken sacked out Jawas (In the doorway as Luke and Ben enter the cantina)
3.) **R5 unit (White body with black head)
4.) **R2 unit (White body with blue and black head)
5.) **GNK unit (Grey with fancy markings and pipes round top)
6.) **Ronto wrangler dude (walks across frame as Luke's speeder approaches the cantina leading an unsaddled Ronto. wears a long black leather waistcoat.)
7.) Lasa (Jawa with really hairy arms that fondles Luke's speeder)
8.) **Local dude (walking towards the cantina as the ronto passes in front of camera. wears a tan pocketed jacket and floppy brimmed hat.)

Beasts:
1.) Jerba beast of burden (One is tethered next to a Dewback by the doorway and another is tethered next to the Ubbrikian globe shaped speeder)
2.) Dewback (Second one added in special edition with more of a red skin tone than the one tethered to the cantina)

Vehicles:
1.) Ubrikkian Z001-9000 Speeder (Sometimes referred to as an escape pod. parked on the corner of the cantina)
2.) Mobquet A1-Deluxe Floater (Also seen in Wioslea’s used speeder lot. parked behind the large entrance dome)
3.) Sorosuub XP-35 Landspeeder (Angular design, white black and yellow. crosses screen going the other way to Luke's speeder.)
4.) TX-1138 Void Spider Speeder (multi-legged white vehicle. parked across the street from the cantina next to Luke's speeder)

Concept characters:
2.) **C-3PO's cereal alien Ron Cobb design intended as Cantina creature eventually used in a cereal advertisement with C-3PO)
6.) **Spacer wearing heavy breathing aparatus (McQuarrie production painting of Cantina)

I haven't included any Holiday Special characters because it's been established that the cantina in the HS is a different cantina entirely. I've only included those characters seen on screen or specifically designed for the ANH cantina.

So Jargo, should we start a poll specific to the cantina characters??

Jargo
04-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Nah, I think hasbro should just make 'em all. take the most obvious ones and pack 'em with the obscure. run a sub theme of cantina 2-packs. any characters we already have can be kept in the regular basic assortment with updated sculpts or added articulation. but as yet unmade characters fit into the 2-pack theme. vehicles are all $20 tops. Dewback and Ronto re-issue and Jerba with the two different swappable saddles rather than a running change. cover the most ground in the shortest amount of time. Finish off arguably the most iconic scene in the saga.

Polls are too frustrating and there aren't enough people voting in them anyway. Unless you have a vast number of participants it isn't worth running a poll. opinions are grand and I can see why some people don't share my love of the cantina sequence, which is fair enough. my point in starting the thread was to say to hasbro their idea of two figures a year won't cover it all and to a lot of people even the costume extras you only see for a split second but show up in the masses of production photos are as important as the core characters. Luke and Han and Obi-Wan might bolt the scene together but they're getting stale and the background scene filles are generally more interesting looking.

I wouldn't cry if we didn't get any of the farmer dudes but the weird ludicrous and alien characters should have their day.

that said if you want to run a poll it's up to you. I'm just one small voice squeaking in cyberspace.

Jargo
01-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Around the bar:

At tables:

In alcoves:

Concept characters:

DarkArtist
01-22-2009, 05:18 PM
So Jargo, should we start a poll specific to the cantina characters??

Sal...welcome back it's good to hear from you again. hope all is alright with you.