PDA

View Full Version : Next Year's UGH...

BlueSnags
10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
An article (named "Journey to the Toy Aisle of the Future") just posted on rebelscum says the following:

Not unlike the Bounty Hunt figures of this year, the future chase figures are packed in with uniquely coloured accessories. Instead of silver coins like all the other figures of the future, the variant hunt figures sport gold coins.:cry:

They also confirm that the VSTC Jawa was swapped out for an IG-88 figure.

El Chuxter
10-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Another IG-88? Instead of a wonderful army-building opportunity?

I feel like, unless they do major improvements on figures who need it, I'm going to be out of the "neo-vintage" scam.

figrin bran
10-02-2006, 09:11 PM
i'd love another IG-88 but a 4-LOM or Zuckuss would've been better.

Chux, if you read the article, it alludes to jawas in the 30th anniversary line so don't fret about them not being in vtsc.

BlueSnags
10-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Some of this stuff is gonna be a pain in the *** to track down. This sucks.

That said, I've already got my Darth Vader Coin Collecting Album on pre-order, like a good little Hasbro stooge.

Slicker
10-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Someone on these forums called it with the gold coin. I think it was a bit too obvious though.

BlueSnags
10-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Someone on these forums called it with the gold coin. I think it was a bit too obvious though.

OK, so who's gonna try and collect all these coins? I'm gonna give it a shot, at least at first.:laugh: :cry:

Slicker
10-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Seeing as I managed to get all of the other UGH's I may try and give it a shot.

Unless they put a silver AND gold coin in every figure then I'm out. If it's a select few then I'll give it a whirl.

TheDarthVader
10-03-2006, 02:13 PM
i will only try to get gold coins of my favorite characters

dindae
10-03-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't know about this one. I find it more enticing then the UGH, but only slightly. I think I have three of the UGH figures that I found on the pegs. I haven't opened them since I am still in limbo on whether I want to keep them or trade them off. If there aren't many repacks this year I many go for it. Wave one looks safe.

BlueSnags
10-03-2006, 05:12 PM
I heard Turbowars is buying two sets. One to keep carded and one to display in his pretty coin album that he just bought.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll probably pass on UGH stuff just like this past year. It could be fun and/or frustrating for carded collectors but as I open I really don't care.

Kidhuman
10-03-2006, 07:44 PM
I dunno about this, hasbro is going to repack the same figs like this year.

DarkArtist
10-03-2006, 08:20 PM
If I get them so be it, if not I'm not losing sleep over it. I actually passed on the UGH stuff.

Reefer Shark
10-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I think they mentioned something in there about variant figures with different colored accessories too.

Bleh! I'm so out of the completist/variant/chase game. UGH was bogus, and this is too. It just helps push me further away from this stuff. Only the nicer figures to open, and maybe the occasional Vader to keep sealed. That's my plan from here on out.

figrin bran
10-03-2006, 10:42 PM
i never found even a single UGH at retail and so i'm not going to expect to find any next year as well.

jedi master sal
10-03-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm not going out of my way. I save what coins I get. Trade what extras I can and buy the rest loose for cheap, even if it means wating months if not years. I'm NOT buying reissued figures, nor "new" figures that are barely new/upgrades. I suspect we'll be able to buy single coins and I dare say whole collections of coins cheap in the future.

But if that doesn't happen, I won't lose sleep over it.

Kidhuman
10-03-2006, 11:10 PM
With this years UGH figures I only got those versions. The regular versions I left on the shelf except for Fett and Scorch. Fett I got the variant version of him and Scorch, well its Scorch, I also got the red holo version of him. I will do the same next year if they repack the same figures.&

Mad Slanted Powers
10-04-2006, 01:07 AM
I never saw any silver holo UGH figures. I did end up buying a few figures that I originally was going to pass on, partly because they had a regular holo that I didn't have yet. These coins don't really excite me. Stands would be better. I'm mainly a completist in terms of figures, not cards or variations, though I have bought a few figures more than once, either on different cards or parts of multi-packs. I'll be trying to cut down on that.

Luuuuuuke
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm going to give the coins to my kid, just like I gave the little holos away. I didn't look for UGHs so I can't see myself looking for the gold coins.

Old Fossil
10-04-2006, 11:19 AM
These coins are a ridiculous idea, a feeble attempt at adding some 'value' to toys that are increasingly valueless to kids and collectors. They have no play value for kids -- unless it is to find creative ways to lose them -- and for collectors, well, they might as well have included a stick of gum with an exclusive foil wrapper in with the figures instead. (Actually, come to think of it, gum would have been a little more useful!) You can't really use the coins in your dioramas. They are not really coins, either -- they are more accurately medals, or medallions; so any hybrid coin/Star Wars collector will not take the proffered bait. The cards they will be on do not really stay true to the traditional Star Wars figure cards -- i.e., character- or scene-specific photography, instead of this marketing art we're getting; so carded collectors will be more inclined to just say, "all right, when Saga ends, I'm done."

Hasbro marketing will directly contribute to the death of this line, mark my words, despite whatever great product the designers manage to eke out to the general public.

Jargo
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM
aren't these UGH figures gonna be the ones based on the new lucasarts game? I'm confused right now.
And if they are based on the game what's the deal? who are the characters? why is the game worthy of having figures made? Why should I give a rats patooie?

Coins? about as useful as a chocalate flak jacket. meh.

dindae
10-04-2006, 12:46 PM
No details on which figures will be included has been mention yet to my knowledge. I would assume that it will be like last year same figure as a normal release with just a gold coin and maybe an altered card. Since there is no stand then I guess that is it.

Turbowars
10-04-2006, 06:24 PM
I heard Turbowars is buying two sets. One to keep carded and one to display in his pretty coin album that he just bought.
What the hell is that suppose to me? What are you saying? I don't appreciate you trying to make fun of me and what I do with my collection. Just because I have a 100% complete Freeze Frame collection in the mail away sleeves doesn't mean I will bend over for hasbro. Do yourself a favor and mess with someone else. I don't need the aggravation! :upset:

Don't forget to read the small print in my sig!:whip:

Turbowars
10-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Hasbro marketing will directly contribute to the death of this line, mark my words, despite whatever great product the designers manage to eke out to the general public.
I think most of us older guys see this coming as well. The only thing that can save the line is more films, TV/Cartoons and from what I've heard all 3 will be happening one way or another.