PDA

View Full Version : Will Mr. Lucas bridge the trilogies?

JEDIpartner
08-22-2001, 10:06 AM
It had been discussed, sometime in the past, by several members of these forums. Will Uncle George bridge the trilogies by possibly using the lost "Luke with the macrobinoculars" scene at the end of Episode III.

I think that it would be a nice flash forward to Episode IV and tying in the infant Luke with the Luke was had first been introduced to.

I envision the last shots as a fade out on an infant Luke and then a fade in on young adult Luke with the melancholy reading of "The Force Theme" playing (akin to the one played when he is looking at the sunset in IV). Luke looks to the sky with the macrobinoculars as the shot closes in on his face, following up the macrobinoculars and then wiping to the end credits starfield.

So... basically, does anyone else feel that Mr. Lucas will or will not bridge the trilogies?

evenflow
08-23-2001, 08:44 AM
It is an interesting thought, and I would love to see that footage. I don't know though. Very cool though.

Lobito
09-20-2001, 08:54 PM
Hey great idea!!! That way ANH would really start where EPIII left off...I second that motion!:cool: :D

GNT
09-21-2001, 02:33 AM
I don't think it'll happen :(

Lobito
09-21-2001, 05:31 PM
I dont think that it'll happen also, but its a great idea, lets hope GL think of this!!:cool:

GNT
09-23-2001, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Lobito
I dont think that it'll happen also, but its a great idea, lets hope GL think of this!!:cool:

Maybe someone can send it into Lucasfilm?But it would probably end up in the bin! :)

Rollo Tomassi
09-23-2001, 12:52 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......nope.

GNT
09-24-2001, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Hmmmmmmmmmm.......nope.

And why not?

Rollo Tomassi
09-24-2001, 07:44 AM
Even though it's one big saga, it's also two separate trilogies that stand alone. tagging Mark Hamill onto the end of the third movie would alter that. So I don't THINK;) that would be a groovy idea...

GNT
09-25-2001, 02:59 AM
Even though it's one big saga, it's also two separate trilogies that stand alone. tagging Mark Hamill onto the end of the third movie would alter that. So I don't THINK;) that would be a groovy idea...

But its one huge movie from the start(EP1) to the end (ROTJ)

Rollo Tomassi
09-25-2001, 08:07 AM
Then why not have Hayden Christensen show up at the end of TPM? or Qui Gon and Mace Windu show up in spirit in the OT? Not only is it two separate trilogies, it is six individual films. Having some cracker farmboy show up in the finale is silly.

GNT
09-26-2001, 02:38 AM
Then why not have Hayden Christensen show up at the end of TPM? or Qui Gon and Mace Windu show up in spirit in the OT? Not only is it two separate trilogies, it is six individual films. Having some cracker farmboy show up in the finale is silly.

Cause in EP1 Anakin was ,not 19! Qui-Gon and Mace didn't know the way to do it, Yoda taught Obi-Wan and that

Its just one long story in 6 parts :)

Lobito
09-27-2001, 03:01 PM
Its just a way to unify the two trilogies...;) , plus they dont have to shoot Mark Hamil again, that scene already exists (Luke watching the capture of the Tantive IV), anyway...in the future GL will have to decide on this idea, but as GNT said, he has to know of it first. :D

Utinni
09-27-2001, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by GNT

Cause in EP1 Anakin was ,not 19! Qui-Gon and Mace didn't know the way to do it, Yoda taught Obi-Wan and that

Its just one long story in 6 parts :)

Luke wasn't 20 something at the end of Episode III.

How do you know Mace doesn't know how to do it? He IS the head Jedi, after all.;)

GNT
09-28-2001, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Utinni
How do you know Mace doesn't know how to do it? He IS the head Jedi, after all.;)

He maybe the head of the council but he can't do everything that he wants to do :) Plus Yoda only knows how to do it :)

Jargo
12-31-2001, 08:16 PM
getting back to the point, Mr. Lucas based these movies on the serials of the nineteen thirties. he could feasibly tag onto the end of each a small montage of what is coming in the next chapter the way that some of those serials did. it isn't as far fetched as some of you seem to think it is.

I don't recall exactly but I'm pretty sure that for the original theatrical releases of the OT they planned on adding some kind of caption cards announcing the next movie. Maybe it's in one of the original drafts of ANH. Anyway it's a short step from caption cards to a montage of forthcoming attractions in the following episode. Perhaps something similar to the Breathing trailer for Episode two? It's an interesting notion to say the least. :)

The Rubber Cat
03-30-2002, 03:29 PM
getting back to the point, Mr. Lucas based these movies on the serials of the nineteen thirties. he could feasibly tag onto the end of each a small montage of what is coming in the next chapter the way that some of those serials did. it isn't as far fetched as some of you seem to think it is.

O ho! The Rubber Cat noticed Peter Jackson has done this very thing on the end of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. A four minute "trailer" of what to expect in The Two Towers. But I think there is a difference between ending Episode III with Luke, and showing a montage of Episode IV with Luke in it. A more appropriate ending for Episode III is Obi Wan Kenobi walking off into the sunset. Sunsets are classic iconical images of closure and this is the end of the Star Wars Saga. Hoo hah!

He maybe the head of the council but he can't do everything that he wants to do. Plus Yoda is the only one whoknows how to do it.

The Rubber Cat would like GNT to explain exactly how he knows what Mace Windu is and is not capable of? Knowledge of all things Star Wars is what I crave. And ca12. tnip.

Pendo
04-05-2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by The Rubber Cat
The Rubber Cat noticed Peter Jackson has done this very thing on the end of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. A four minute "trailer" of what to expect in The Two Towers.

When the Star Wars films were first shown on Sky Premier in the UK, after each film they showed a trailer for then next film, which would be shown next week. It was like the Lord of the Rings thing and it made my mouth water for the next film, even though I'd already seen it. I think putting a trailer for then next film after each one would be an interesting idea and could work if done properly.

PENDO!

Fixer
04-29-2002, 04:47 PM
No, I don't think it'll happen. I too think that the last shot of Ep3 will be of Ben walking off into the Jundland Wastes. It could include a crazy pull back to space showing Tatooine just as it appeared in the pan-down after the scroll at the beginning of Ep4, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dryanta
04-29-2002, 05:06 PM
JEDIpartnr,
Thanks!! beautiful babe,cut print and get it in the can!!
Great idea.If they would show Obi wan walking into the Tatooine sunset,Pan(?) up to the sky and pan right back down to the already filmed scene of Luke looking at the Star destoyer and the Tantive 5,that would be cool.And for the record ,I'd like to see Mace,Qui gon and any other prominent jedi we've yet to see(if any) included in the Spirit scene at the end of ROTJ.But hey Thats just me.I'd like to see all six films all tied together as one really long film.That's how alot of us will watch them on rainy cold weekends any way.

darthvyn
05-17-2002, 01:04 PM
my theory on why the jedi disappear or not depends on destiny, fate, and acceptance. obi-wan lifted his saber, not fightning his fate, yoda already states that luke requires no more training and then vanishes, whereas qui-gon has altered his fate by planning to take anakin as a new padawan, and not fulfilling this new fate before his demise, he doesn't vanish. now, before anyone posts "yeah, but obi-wan is training luke..." he never says "i will train you" he just says "you must learn the ways of the force..." and intends to direct him to yoda, which he does. we also don't know if anakin vanishes in jedi, as all we see on the pyre is the armor, and most likely all the mechanical body parts.

darthvyn
05-18-2002, 12:28 PM
okay, so that's off the subject, but no, i don't think he will bridge the trilogies, because that's an awful amount of time lapse btwn the end of episode 2 and the beginning of 4, (at least 15 years as opposed to the 10 between 1 and 2) plus he didn't really bridge any of the other movies together... i don't think it's necessary.

Chaddymac
05-30-2002, 03:12 PM
This dips into a question I have about how Lucas is going to handle this, but do you think Luke and Leia will have been born by the end of the episode?

The reason I ask is because one of the big problems I've had with going to tell the story of the prequels is that it kind of ruins the surprises of the OT. That is, unless George decides to shroud them in mystery, somehow. Like, if our last shot of Padme she's still pregnant and we don't know she's going to have twins.

Or, more importantly to me, anyway, we think that Anakin is dead at the end of Episode III and we don't know it's him behind the Darth Vader mask.

But anyway, my point is I hope we don't see an infant Luke and Leia. That would suck hard.

darthvyn
05-30-2002, 04:30 PM
aside from that, i feel that keeping the secrets of OT intact will lead to a very weak plot for ep III, i mean, to not show anakin become vader? what about the jedi purge? if that's not in it, then i don't know what is... and i don't (except for the ending, thank you very much...) and i don't want to know. anyway, no one can spoil the secrets for you, you already know them. if you want to make sure everyone you know is surprised by the secrets of OT, then make sure they watch them in order of production.

i do feel the only secret that can be maintained is the secret of leia as luke's sister, vader's daughter. there is no story telling need to show both children. i actually think this would be great. if you try to maintain the secret of luke/vader, you will have to digitally change his last name in the scene where he introduces himself to leia:

"i'm luke skywalker, i'm here to rescue you..." is a lot less of a dramatic revelation than "luke, i am your father..." no?

Jedi Clint
05-30-2002, 07:11 PM
Weak! The guys face is concealed behind a mask and his voice is completely different. It is a simple matter of allusion vs. blantant (and I believe unnecessary) confirmation.

Chaddymac
05-30-2002, 07:26 PM
darthvyn, I'm still curious about the scene that's been confirmed. Where did you hear about this?

And Jedi Clint, I think I'm willing to go along with that. Although, Lucas MIGHT have Anakin slide into the suit...who knows.

Jedi Clint
05-30-2002, 07:38 PM
Sorry Chaddymac. This topic has been edited to remove spoiler material. If you want to learn about the scene that was discussed, you will have to search the E3 spoilers forum.

darthvyn
05-30-2002, 11:31 PM
i'm not saying we're going to see him put on the whole suit, but i do think that to skip over the darkest moments of anakin's life just to keep it a secret that he's luke's father is poor story telling.

and thank you for editing... at least others won't have stuff spoiled for them... i enjoy speculating, not spoiling.

Darth_Stevious
06-02-2002, 08:06 PM
I only have one question. Do you really think there is anyone at all who likes science fiction and has any interest in Star Wars at all that doesn't know that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker and is the father of Luke Skywalker? Heck, you don't even have to like the movies or have even watched them at all to know it, seeing as its been talked about on all of the interview shows and news stories about both Ep1 and Ep2. A 20 year old secret that is known by thousands isn't a secret. GL has even called Anakin the father of Luke and Leia in interviews. I really don't think he will go out of his way to preserve the surprise of ESB. He will probably try to do more to tie the movies together and shots of the children will probably be part of that. There is also talk that in the "Archive" editions GL will add references to the PT into the OT to create allow for better continuity. All of this is speculation on my part (just as your posts are speculation as well). None of us will know for sure until first Ep3 is released and then finally when the "Archive" editions are released on DVD.

Jedi Clint
06-02-2002, 09:50 PM
These films are for future generations to enjoy as well. After 3 is out, the talk will die down. My friend just had his 8 year old watch TESB for his first time and it blew him away that Anakin from TPM was Darth Vader. He didn't even believe Vader. He asked his dad (my friend) if Vader was telling Luke the truth. People act like it will be difficult to make 3 without confirming Vader's identity. That just isn't the case.