PDA

View Full Version : McFarlane Bon Jovi action figures

Tycho
10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
As reported over on actionfigs.com, McFarlane will be releasing Richie Sambora and Jon Bon Jovi.

While a majority of the forum posters on AF.com are you guys from right here on good 'ol SSG, I play so much nicer over there on Steve's other site. So I thought I'd post my off-color remarks to McFarlane over here where I already have earned a bad reputation :D

My first thought was why Bon Jovi and McFarlane? They should do a cross-over with Great White and House of 1000 Corpses with a stage playset and pyrotechnics unleashed! :twisted:

As far as interesting 80's metal bands having action figures, I think Guns N Roses does (by McFarlane), but where's Def Leppard with Rick Allen and a removeable arm? - and the other guy that left the band before they got Phil Collin, so the former guitar player could check into rehab - only I believe he drank himself to death first. That guy could come with a wino playset.

I made some sexual comments about George Michael and Michael Jackson action figures and their interactive accessories, but I self-edited them. JT should be so proud of me :D I get a citizenship star! (I really earned it this time). Now if you know how I think and you have a really dirty mind, you can figure out where I was going with that.

But we'll keep discussion centered around your thoughts about Bon Jovi action figures. :rolleyes:

2-1B
10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
At least this time you waited a few years to joke about the Rhode Island Station fire, as oppposed to last time you joked about it when they were still extinguishing charred bodies.

Bossk77
10-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Good god! Whats next Jackyl action figures? Maybe a Nelson Twins box set....!!!!! A side note: they should make a include a factory backdrop that makes nothing but sparks! God i love 80s metal.

Tycho
10-03-2006, 09:45 PM
You know, I'm going to the Queensryche Mindcrime concert tomorrow night as a matter of fact. I'm sure it won't be funny if the pyrotechnics explode on me and my date and we start burning to death, but my thoughts (besides "this sucks") will be "such is life."

While I doubt anything like that will happen again in the forthcoming short-term, I guess it's always a possibility at these rock concerts. Maybe so I won't miss out on any opportunity to be part of the occasion, I'll shower in gasoline and start smoking before I go into the show. (well, except in California it's basically illegal to smoke anywhere now).

bobafrett
10-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Wow, Cool! I want a Bon Jovi figure! Does he come with the open shirt, hairy chest, like the Austin Powers figure?

JimJamBonds
10-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Good god! Whats next Jackyl action figures?

Yeah and it could come with a chainsaw for when they do "The Lumberjack! :thumbsup: "

bobafrett
10-04-2006, 02:41 PM
I saw Bon Jovi, the group, (as opposed to solo) in concert, and i was being bounced between my girlfriend and her female freind. I enjoyed myself!

JediTricks
10-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Last straw for McF, there is no worse sin than this. They should release a Bon Jovi liposuction clinic playset with humiliated band member exclusives.

El Chuxter
10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Bon Jovi rocks. You haters can die. Nothing clever. Just die. :mad:

:p

Tenric78
10-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Bon Jovi is a hack that's been releasing the same song for the last 10 years.

El Chuxter
10-18-2006, 01:56 PM
No, if that were the case, then "My Guitar Lies Bleeding in My Arms" would sound just like "Last Cigarette," and they're nothing alike. :confused:

Good day, sir.

I SAID GOOD DAY! :mad:

General_Grievous
10-23-2006, 02:31 PM
Bon Jovi is a hack that's been releasing the same song for the last 10 years.

While I am a Bon Jovi fan (Got pretty much all of "Slippery when wet" on my iPod), I have to admit that "Livin' on a Prayer" and "It's My Life" did sound alike.

Tenric78
10-23-2006, 11:31 PM
I didn't mean to be so blunt about it, but I don't like being told to die. Hehe I was thinking more along the lines of all his songs they've been playing on the radio have the same theme, I'm going to do what I want no matter what anyone says.

Tycho
10-24-2006, 12:11 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of all his songs they've been playing on the radio have the same theme, I'm going to do what I want no matter what anyone says.

That must be why I like his music so much! :grin:

El Chuxter
10-24-2006, 11:21 AM
I was meaning that to be tongue-in-cheek. Most of what I say must be taken with a grain (or shaker) of salt. :)

Bacta Beast
11-23-2006, 12:08 PM
While I am a Bon Jovi fan (Got pretty much all of "Slippery when wet" on my iPod), I have to admit that "Livin' on a Prayer" and "It's My Life" did sound alike.

Ump, no, uh unh! No, nope, wrong! No, uh unh! Completely different key! "Living On a Pryer" is in E, "It's my Life" is in Cmin. "Living" doesn't have som many starts and stops, and the vocals are much higher! The only thing they have in common is a talk box and "Tommy and Jeanna". Even Jon changed by the time they did "Life", shorter hair, and waxed chest!

Blue2th
11-23-2006, 02:28 PM
I thought "damn that Richie Sambora is one mean guitarist" when I heard the lead on "Little Runaway" Then I found out it was really Neal Shon. Ah Ha! no wonder. Well are they gonna do Jon with his 80's style hairy chest or later with his lazer treatment hairless chest like in his movie roles?...... I still haven't found my ultimate guitarist action figure Jimmy Page yet.:ninja:

Tycho
11-23-2006, 09:06 PM
So is a hairy chest a bad thing?

A non-hero thing?

Tenric78
11-24-2006, 02:23 AM
So is a hairy chest a bad thing?

A non-hero thing?

I guess. I was born at the tail end of the 70s so I missed out when I could be proud of my hairy chest. :(

Tycho
11-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Yeah, style has changed.

Daivd Hasselhoff, Don Johnson, etc. all shaved down (look at the difference between Knight Rider and BayWatch for example) and Richard Simmons took to a whole 'nother level.

Jon Bon Jovi is obviously older than most of us (by 10 - 15 years I think).

But there's such a catch-22 nowadays:

a straight man is suspect for not wanting to look like an ape, but put down for being a "pretty boy."

This is such a taboo topic to bring up, what with common male insecurity about such a thing.

Tycho
11-25-2006, 03:43 AM
I think it is just that men don't look like model material anyway, and the more they appear as apes, the less like heroic "gods" they look like.

But the issues remaining are:

1) What do women want? Shaved or hairy guys?

2) At what point do the stars' appearances psychologically affect other men and make them insecure about their appearance? Is it worse for the stars like Jon Bon Jovi and Don Johnson and David Hasselhoff?

Finally, recent movies: The 40 Year Old Virgin, Austin Powers, and Hitch, have definitely made statements recommending waxing or shaving (at the very least - back hair and shoulders), so what is the answer?

Oh, and finally, action figures are not always perfectly authentic, and they often create representations of their subjects which are in many ways more perfect than their image sources.

Blue2th
11-25-2006, 09:52 AM
It's the evolution of man. As we progress, we want to distance ourselves from anything that reminds us of the "damn dirty apes". Also men just like women admire beauty health etc. and want that for themselves. Whether they are AC or DC well, I think the lines are blurred now. I'm not sure what some women want in the hair depatment. They still prefer hairy armpits and legs on themselves in some European countries I hear.......... I remember the BonJovi 80's (not 70's)videoes where he's as hairy as all get out, and flaunts it. Then you see him in a movie like "Pay it Forward" and he's got the shaved look.

JEDIpartner
11-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I think shaved men are too girly. I can't stand it when a guy shaves his legs or arms or whatever-- even if they are really buff. That's just weird!!!!

Tycho
11-25-2006, 11:33 AM
It would depend on how hairy they are JP. If a guy is just an ape, then those are his choices: be girly (whether straight or not) - or swing from the trees and be regarded as Neanderthall if he were uncovered by anything less than an Armani business suit.

I know in speaking online to folks overseas, they think that America's consumerism is gone way overboard - and this includes bath and beauty products right down to razors. And it's true that I prefer to keep myself so clean, mouth-washed and body-sprayed, that I'm borderline sterile.

We are animals, and yeah, we're trying everything consciously or sub-consciously to deny that.

Tenric78
11-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I think it depends on the woman as far as what they want. My fiancé likes my hairy chest a lot, but some women hate that. As far as back and shoulders go, I think that's where most women draw their line.

Side note: I have a buddy who is now doing body building competitions. He's got to shave his whole body simply because hair hides your muscles. I think he's crazy, but whatever floats his boat.

Blue2th
11-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Aaanold called the Cal state legislators a bunch of "Girly Men" he's shaved for body-building and definitely not a girly-man. BTW: speaking of Neanderthalls, I really love those Gieco "so easy a cave man could do it" commercials.

Tycho
11-25-2006, 11:53 AM
I've often wondered whether guys who just want to shave themselves body-build (or swim or bike ride) so they can have an excuse?

But yeah, shaved looks better. It doesn't take a gay man to know that - and we actually have a gay man who will refute that (well it's an opinion and personal taste question anyway).

plasticfetish
11-25-2006, 03:21 PM
I can't imagine there being too much more to say about McFarlane and Bon Jovi, but back on topic guys... or the real shaving (post shaving) will begin.

El Chuxter
04-08-2007, 01:51 AM
actionfigs.com (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=33&p2_articleid=1209) has pics.

I'm disappointed. Jon looks more like Ryan Seacrest than anything else. Unless there's a Simon Cowell figure as well, no point to get him. Richie doesn't look half bad, but why get a Richie without Jon (or Tico, he who was named after TEEEEEEEK!!)?

bobafrett
04-08-2007, 07:30 AM
I think Jon looks great, it's Ritchie who looks a little off IMO.

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 08:45 AM
I think Jon looks great, it's Ritchie who looks a little off IMO.

I've got to agree with that. When I think of Richie playing a double-neck I don't think of a double-neck Tele. I'm sure he has one (but they didn't shape the heads and the butt correctly) and this was probably based on an actual photo, but it doesn't capture the iconic look of Richie or Jon for that matter. When I think of Jon on stage, I think of his "jumping jacks" or just the way he plants his feet apart and belts it. This pose looks a little gay. It's more of a transitional pose, not one you would hold for a long time. And Richie's face doesn't like right. Maybe his eyebrows need to be darker. It also seems that his head looks too wide from the side. IMO

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I'll probably buy it though. That and the 24 Jack Bauer. They'll be the first McFarlane statues I've ever bought. If they do a Journey set I'd be beside myself!!

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Then maybe sideshow will make a 3-D Asia poster, like the Star Wars ones!!:thumbsup:

Tycho
04-08-2007, 01:00 PM
If they do a Journey set I'd be beside myself!!

BactaBeast, if you were beside yourself, this is what you'd look like:

Blue2th
04-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Well that's the new look Bon Jovi. He's got short non-permed hair. Which means his chest hair has been removed, even though we can't see it because of his tank-top, and not that it matters or that there's anything wrong with it, just an observation etc. etc.....like that Fender Telecaster doubleneck Richie's got...wish I had one.

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Well that's the new look Bon Jovi. He's got short non-permed hair. Which means his chest hair has been removed, even though we can't see it because of his tank-top, and not that it matters or that there's anything wrong with it, just an observation etc. etc.....like that Fender Telecaster doubleneck Richie's got...wish I had one.

And the headstock isn't right for a real Fender Tele. I'll probably still get them. I just hoped for more of an action pose. It's be nice if they made the whole band. Dave deserves some recognition. It would be nice for Hugh also, considering that he's been in that camp just as long as Alec was and they still leave him out of the band photos.

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 04:22 PM
BactaBeast, if you were beside yourself, this is what you'd look like:

:yes: :yes: :yes: More Beast to go around!!:lipsrsealed:

Blue2th
04-08-2007, 05:30 PM
It's be nice if they made the whole band. Dave deserves some recognition. It would be nice for Hugh also, considering that he's been in that camp just as long as Alec was and they still leave him out of the band photos.

Yeah well, the rest of the band doesn't rank because they didn't go "Hollywood" or at least stand in the shadow of Jon, and marry a starlet. ("Behind a great man is Richie Sambora") I remember when they kicked out the Bass player that had been with them all those years. They actually made fun of his playing in public. It's a cruel when you gotta step on a few heads while on your way to the top. As if they ever really reached the top. Now they get action figures made of them. That's the pinacle of success :rolleyes:

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
:confused:
It's a cruel when you gotta step on a few heads while on your way to the top. As if they ever really reached the top. Now they get action figures made of them. That's the pinacle of success :rolleyes:

The only thing about that is, they ousted him after they reached the top. They talked to him, and gave him a chance to work on his playing, and his reponse was to bash the rest of the band in an interview. I think it's pretty big on Jon's part that they've "kept his spot open". As I assume that's the purpose behind not adding Hugh in their band photos (though he was on their earliest recording. Also I can't understand the "as if they ever really reached the top" statement. I guess I'd have to understand your definition of "reaching the top". How many records do you have to sell? How many records do you have to set & break? How many arenas do you have to sell out (and still do twenty plus years after your initial success)? How many charts do you have to top (and still do)? How many football teams do you have to own?

Blue2th
04-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Ouch! :hurt: Yeah but how many action figures do you have? :grin:

Bacta Beast
04-08-2007, 08:47 PM
lol Of myself..none!! Of others...way too many!!:thumbsup: But I never said I've "reached the top". So I just idolize guys like Bongiovi who are doing what I'd rather be doing for a living. Just imagine the life....
"Good morning Jon"
"Good morning Dorothea"
"What are you doing today?"
"Oh I thought I'd go get us some money"
"Great honey"
"Yeah, just let me put on my slippers and head out to the mailbox"
And of course this conversation is had in the "morning" when he wakes up at 11:30am.

I'll bet Jon & Richie don't worry about the high cost of convention exclusives!!