PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation is real??..??&

Kidhuman
10-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Scientists teleported two different objects, read about it here...

Isobars& (http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/10/04/teleportation.reut/index.html)

Darth Instigator
10-05-2006, 06:22 AM
nice, beam me up

2-1B
10-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I already knew this was possible ever since I saw Nightcrawler do it.

~

El Chuxter
10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Bamf.

:)

LusiferSam
10-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Ok being the physicist in the room I'm going to have to burst everyone's bubble. When physicists used the term teleportion they mean the transfer of information. When Trekkies hear the term they think "Beam me up Scotty." So what these guys are doing is taking a group of atoms and recreating that exact group a foot and half away. The first group never moves, it stays put.

So back to KH question. Yes teleportation is real. But the bad news is we have a couple hundred Captain Kirks running arounding now.

El Chuxter
10-05-2006, 12:02 PM
But the bad news is we have a couple hundred Captain Kirks running arounding now.

As long as there are a couple hundred young female alien guest stars to keep them occupied, we should be okay.

decadentdave
10-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Ok being the physicist in the room I'm going to have to burst everyone's bubble. When physicists used the term teleportion they mean the transfer of information. When Trekkies hear the term they think "Beam me up Scotty." So what these guys are doing is taking a group of atoms and recreating that exact group a foot and half away. The first group never moves, it stays put.

So back to KH question. Yes teleportation is real. But the bad news is we have a couple hundred Captain Kirks running arounding now.

And that's the problem with Star Trek. The Transporter is actually DESTROYING matter during dematerialization and digitizing every particle in a computer matrix and re-materializing or RECREATING bit for bit, particle for particle that matter in another location. In other words, when Jim Kirk beams down to the planet surface, the Jim Kirk that rematerializes is not the original Jim Kirk, it is a facsimile of the original and so on and so forth. In fact, Kirk has been destroyed and recreated so many times that there has been bound to be so much loss of information that eventually becomes so far removed from the original that it is but a shadow of its former self. I guess that explains Star Trek 5. lol (waits for Jedi Tricks to chime in with his long-winded psycho-intellectual discussion about the physics of transporters)

pbarnard
10-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Heisenberg is my b!tch.

figrin bran
10-06-2006, 01:47 AM
And that's the problem with Star Trek. The Transporter is actually DESTROYING matter during dematerialization and digitizing every particle in a computer matrix and re-materializing or RECREATING bit for bit, particle for particle that matter in another location. In other words, when Jim Kirk beams down to the planet surface, the Jim Kirk that rematerializes is not the original Jim Kirk, it is a facsimile of the original and so on and so forth. In fact, Kirk has been destroyed and recreated so many times that there has been bound to be so much loss of information that eventually becomes so far removed from the original that it is but a shadow of its former self. I guess that explains Star Trek 5. lol (waits for Jedi Tricks to chime in with his long-winded psycho-intellectual discussion about the physics of transporters)

what about hyperspace jumps? wouldn't they have a dematerializing effect on spacecraft and passengers?

decadentdave
10-06-2006, 01:52 AM
That's totally different. Space is being "warped" around you thus making the distance to move between two points shorter. We're talking about matter being destroyed and recreated in two completely different points. Teleportation and Hyperspace Jumps are not the same thing.

JimJamBonds
10-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Snotty beamed me twice last night.... it was wonderfull.

JEDIpartner
10-08-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm sure Britney Spears probably thinks this is real... just as she thinks your can time travel-- okay, some people can time travel like they do in Back to the Future. :rolleyes: