PDA

View Full Version : MR to be bought by Corgi???

JediTricks
10-05-2006, 06:18 PM
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=22&p2_articleid=676

What the heck is going on here? Corgi has never seemed all that stable to me, they've been around forever but they've also faded in and out in the US a few too many times, and while they do have some good work, they also cut corners in ways I don't like or just leave things out. I'm just not feeling this one, MR's commitment to quality is already pretty darn high, I'd hate for a larger company to swoop in and impede that.

plasticfetish
10-05-2006, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I was reading that story over at AF also. Interesting news... a bit unexpected, but I suppose we'll hear more in time.

I suppose it would help MR to be able to take advantage of Corgi's manufacturing experience and connections in China. Other than that... ???

Jayspawn
10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
The merger happened on October 4th. MR says that things will stay as they are for a while. This could be a good or bad thing -a little more time will tell.

I hope Master Replicas keeps its name in the end. I dont like the idea of owning a Corgi Lightsaber replica.

Since Corgi owns the 007 license, maybe we'll get some Bond replicas! I'd love to get a Golden Gun and a Walther PPK.

JediTricks
10-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I suppose it would help MR to be able to take advantage of Corgi's manufacturing experience and connections in China.This is what I'm worried about actually, that Corgi will make MR change factories to their guys in China which wouldn't have the experience or talent required. Corgi's work is good, but they cut corners, they use smoother lines and cheat here and there - that would not pay off in a prop replica.

RooJay
10-06-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm really hoping this turns out to be good news - Master Replicas has been one of my absolute favorite producers of pop culture memorabilia. I could see it going either way. I'm particularly worried that once the merger is complete that Corgi may go through another period where they (to borrow a phrase) fade out of the US market.

plasticfetish
10-06-2006, 09:17 PM
This is what I'm worried about actually, that Corgi will make MR change factories to their guys in China which wouldn't have the experience or talent required. Corgi's work is good, but they cut corners, they use smoother lines and cheat here and there - that would not pay off in a prop replica.You're right, and that would be my worry also, but I'm thinking that perhaps this will give MR the ability to expand a little. Perhaps continue to do what they're doing with prop replicas, but use Corgi's connections and distribution experience to break into other markets a little more easily.

I dunno... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

JediTricks
10-08-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm really hoping this turns out to be good news - Master Replicas has been one of my absolute favorite producers of pop culture memorabilia. I could see it going either way. I'm particularly worried that once the merger is complete that Corgi may go through another period where they (to borrow a phrase) fade out of the US market.
Ack, I wish you hadn't said that! You're right, they've had a hard time the past 20+ years, ever since Mattel bought them in the '80s and they had to buy their way out from under Mattel, they've had a hard time keeping a foothold in the US market.

JON9000
10-08-2006, 07:39 PM
This is what I'm worried about actually, that Corgi will make MR change factories to their guys in China which wouldn't have the experience or talent required. Corgi's work is good, but they cut corners, they use smoother lines and cheat here and there - that would not pay off in a prop replica.

Maybe I don't know enough about Corgi, but it seems to me that these companies serve different bases. I wouldn't expect to see much change. It may be something as off the wall as retail relationships driving this as much as manufacturing or design.

jedi master sal
10-10-2006, 08:23 AM
Okay, I absolutely can not specifically say where I got this info from but it is from a VERY reliable source. A big part of Corgi buying MR was for the Star Wars license. While some of you may say "duh," do you know why?

Apparently Corgi has been trying for years to break in the SW license and more importantly here within the U.S. Instead of getting the license by directly earning it, it became clear and easier to see that if they bought out a company who already had the license that they would get both things they were desiring.

Again I can't say whom specifically, and the ONLY clue I'll give is that it's from one of the bigwigs at one of the major e-tailors with whom MR distributed to directly and that I have personal access to this individual.

The only other bit of info that was passed on to me was that MR was going to remain intact, meaning the name and basically how they do business. They would just be under new ownership.

Take that for what it's worth.

Jayspawn
10-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm reading about this everywhere trying to get more information. Over at Yak, they're saying the merger (company change), wont happen till 4th Qtr 2006 and that the company will keep the name Corgi.

I hope that isnt true! I do not want to buy a Corgi replica!!!

JediTricks
10-10-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm reading about this everywhere trying to get more information. Over at Yak, they're saying the merger (company change), wont happen till 4th Qtr 2006 and that the company will keep the name Corgi.

I hope that isnt true! I do not want to buy a Corgi replica!!!
This is October 2006. :p

Yeah, a "Corgi Replica" sounds lame to me too.

Yeah, the press release Corgi sent out about this makes it clear they're after the big licenses:
The company, which will retain the Corgi name, will produce a wide variety of product categories, and will feature collectible products from licenses, on a combined basis, for nine of the ten highest grossing film franchises of all time, including Batman, James Bond, Disney Classics, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Trek, Star Wars, and Spiderman.
Personally, I think they're going to either screw MR over by trying to shoehorn Corgi concepts into MR's theme, or they're going to realize the LFL license is pretty specific about what they CANNOT make and Corgi's gonna stamp their feet and realize they burned themselves on the deal because they can't just use it all willy-nilly to just make whatever.

LTBasker
10-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Sounds dodgy but I'm gonna hope it turns out to be a good merge. The MR section could handle the high-end replicas while the Corgi section could make cheaper replicas on licenses they otherwise couldn't have gotten. Such as less detailed but more affordable replica lightsabers and such, maybe even a diecast SW ship line?

The bad thing is that Corgi does seem to overprice their more famous licenses such as the 1:43 Batmobile line being $7 each and the Trek ships are pretty expensive.

I'm surprised Corgi could even afford MR in the first place, must be our fault for paying the overcharge on the batmobiles. :p

JediTricks
10-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Steve's covering the New York Fall Toy Show and MR is there, they confirmed that they are keeping their name "Master Replicas" which is good news.

Tycho
11-22-2006, 06:30 PM
This still makes me uneasy.

I want the good people at MR to be left alone to do their jobs. They're a great bunch!

I want a MR Force FX Obi-Wan TPM and possibly Dooku Lightsaber, and maybe I'll look into their helmets and armor pieces.

I definitely don't want another company messing with their product plans.

If I recall, Corgi makes die cast cars similar to Matchbox or Hot Wheels. I think. It's not a name I've heard in a long, long time.

plasticfetish
11-22-2006, 07:09 PM
Looks like it's their 50th anniversary...

http://www.corgi.co.uk/
http://www.corgi-usa.com

I see their stuff in the smaller shops -- the "collectible" shops -- that I visit. Their Batman stuff has been fun, they still churn out all of the Bond vehicles that they're known for, and military vehicles, etc. Not sure how what they're known for applies to what Master Replicas is known for, but I suppose we'll see. (Maybe.)

Edit: Oh... okay, now it makes sense. A few years ago, after Corgi changed back to being privately held (after they split away from Mattel), they were bought out by a Hong Kong based company, Zindart.

Here's the long and the short of it. (Mostly long.) (Zindart)

Zindart Limited is a Chinese backed company who's specialty is in manufacturing. They're good at making things quickly and for a low price.

Edit edit: But then there's this story (http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=22&p2_articleid=832) over at actionfigs.com about how Corgi is selling off Zindart Manufacturing... so who knows what's going on.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm sure Master Replicas will make out just fine.

JediTricks
11-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Maybe Amy will give us some more info when she drops by for trivia.

Jayspawn
11-26-2006, 11:29 AM
Hmmm...no info yet.

RooJay
11-26-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm kinda hoping they'll keep their main office open in Walnut Creek. It's practically right next door to me and I was hoping for a chance to trade a tour with someone there for a tour of my job.:D