PDA

View Full Version : Ehat Has Happened To Droid Names

Jek Porky 2002
01-30-2002, 03:03 PM
Why is The yellow R2 Unit called R3 and also Obi-Wan's droid which is an R2 unit is called R4. What's going on?

SithDroid
01-30-2002, 03:13 PM
Who knows? I could never understand the whole numbering thing in the first place.

mabudonicus
01-30-2002, 03:51 PM
Good news!! The whole droid numbering/naming thing will be explained in my as yet unsolicited manuscript for a five novel series entitled "bWHeeee-oot deedle DOOOP- These ARE the droids you're looking for!". I'll keep you posted, as the EU expands so fast it's hard to keep track of.........

Jargo
01-30-2002, 04:17 PM
"bWHeeee-oot deedle DOOOP" isn't a line from the movie. I recognised it's foul stench when it was brought onboard... I reckon that it's actually a line that the FX artoo utters when you push the button in his belly. The shorter line he utters though... or does he chirrup...? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......:confused:

Beast
01-30-2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002
Why is The yellow R2 Unit called R3 and also Obi-Wan's droid which is an R2 unit is called R4. What's going on?

Well, in the case of the yellow astromech, if you look at it's dome, you will notice that it's clear. All clear domed astromechs are R3 units. So, they actually got that name right. As for Obi Wan's Jedi Starfighter droid, no clue why they designated it an R4 unit. Maybe the first R4 units off the line used the same basic dome shape as the R2 and R3 units, and later models had the cone shaped dome, seen on the ANH figure, R4-M9.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
01-30-2002, 06:45 PM
R4 droids are the newest version of the astromech, and do indeed evolve from the domed R2 droids (speculated to take on their cone form during the rise of the Empire )

Co Jo-Da
01-31-2002, 01:15 AM
Like C-3P0 and TC-14 have similar names but they're both Protocol Droid...

hamsterboy
01-31-2002, 01:20 AM
I'm going to ask a dumb question. What does an R1 unit look like? Or hasn't there been one yet?

GNT
01-31-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Jek Porky 2002

Its probably up to the owner or the person who makes them who gets to decide on the name :)

LTBasker
01-31-2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by hamsterboy
I'm going to ask a dumb question. What does an R1 unit look like? Or hasn't there been one yet?

Actually an R1 has been sighted so far... Did you see that big brown droid in the line-up of droids when Owen & Luke were looking for droids to buy from the Jawas? The big brown droid with a silver pipe sticking upward at an angle on it's head is the R1 droid. Definitely a difference between R1 and R2, heh.

About Obi-Wan's R"4" droid, maybe that was just a prototypical idea and it hasn't been changed from R4 to R2 yet but will be in the last minute.

mark2d2
02-01-2002, 06:06 AM
Actually, the R1 droid in that scene always looked black to me . . .

This was also one of the choices in the latest Fan Figure Poll. But it lost out to some really ugly alien whose name I simply can't recall because I thought it was an unbelievably DUMB choice. (Not the Duro, this was more recent. Some Jabba's palace freak I've never caught a glimpse of in the movies. Rather like Amanaman. )

Anyway, it's a real tragedy. Having seen what Hasbro was able to do with FX-7 (Hands down the most accurate droid sculpt ever!) and now R4-M9 it is certain that it would have made one heck of a fine figure. And it's such a unique design too. I keep hoping we'll see these guys in one of the prequels. (It'd make sense, they are from the past! Sadly, Lucas isn't as sharp as he once was and probably doesn't realize this :( )

Sigh . . . Maybe someday . . .

Rollo Tomassi
02-01-2002, 08:25 AM
They recently answered this in the "Ask the jedi Council" section at starwars.com. The name by which we recognize droids is actually a knickname from a longer name, so R2-D2 might actually be 11A-R2-D2-4117C-X12, but he's just called R2 for short. if you thing about it, the combination of Letter(26 variables) Digit(9variables) - Letter(26 variables) Digit(9 variables) only allows for a very small percentage of names in a galaxy that has billions of droids.

bigbarada
02-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Using the Letter/Digit-Letter/Digit system will only allow for 54,756 possible different combinations. If the first letter is always 'R' then that drops the number of combinations to a mere 2106. If the droids only go up to R5 then it is further reduced to 1170. Hardly the production numbers a company needs to be profitable; so Rollo's comment makes sense.

Jargo
02-02-2002, 03:08 PM
NOOOO s*** Sherlock! You makin' that up boy? thems some purdy 'lil numbers ya got there. Wanna sell 'em?

Okay, roll a few letters and numbers around in your head and you invariably ebnd up with a string of names that fall into the R2-D2 mold. Lucas has stated that he names his characters from phonetic sounds he throws around until a few fall nicely into place. Same with the droid names. They were all R2 units to George hence the fact that Luke calls R5-D4 an R2 unit. It was only when the EU books started to name every extra and every prop that all these droids got named. Mostly none of them are ever referred to by name in the movies. So if George decides to finally use an R4 name for an R2 droid then he's obviously trying to have a private laugh at the expense of diligent fanboys who scrupulously note every little detail in star wars and dissect every little detail on the net in chat rooms and forum systems...... It's just an inconsequential name for a basically inconsequential droid. If you want an explanation I'll give you an EU one. The Jedi aren'yt rich and re-use everything they can to save natural resources. They recycled an R4 droids inner workings into an older R2 body shell because the R4 droid got busted in a fracas somewhere in the uncharted territories after a Jedi emmisary wandered too close to pirates contraband processing platforms. The droid took a direct hit and the body casing fused meaning they had to cut it open to get the data from the droid. this left the droid shell less so they used the old R2 body...........

It's so easy to make up crap for star wars, no wonder these EU book writers are so prolific when they can churn 'em out in no time at all and make a fast buck for a pile of nonsense. What's that latest exerpt they had on the official site about the fuzzy wong or something. Absolute tosh. No better than my appalingly dreadful pastiche above.

Does it matter why the droid is called R4? What's the C for in C-3PO? what does it matter? It just sounds good and rolls off the tongue. that's why.

As long as it looks good on film and we get an action figure of it what does anything matter?

JEDIpartner
02-04-2002, 08:00 AM
Well... if you are really interested in droids and don't mind the whole EU thing... I recommend picking up a copy of "STAR WARS: The Essential Guide to Droids". It's actually kinda fun to look through. I picked this one and the "weapons and technology" volume up from a friend's book club. Those are the only two I really was interested in. The rest of the books get a little "TOO EU" for me! "TOO EU"? "2-EU"... hmmm, sounds like the name of a droid!

Rollo Tomassi
02-04-2002, 08:05 AM
MY favorite droid is a 303A-FE77. He's a protocol droid that dresses up in Mandalorian armor...:) :rolleyes:

bigbarada
02-04-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
NOOOO s*** Sherlock! You makin' that up boy? thems some purdy 'lil numbers ya got there. Wanna sell 'em?

It's basic Statistics. 26 letters of the alphabet and 9 possible numbers. 26 x 9 x 26 x 9 = 54756

Unless, the numbers include 0, then it's 26 x 10 x 26 x 10 = 67600

If the first letter is always 'R,' then the formula adjusts to 1 x 9 x 26 x 9 = 2106

If, in addition, the first number only goes up to 5 (not including 0 ), then we get 1 x 5 x 26 x 9 = 1170

Simple.:)