PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel

mabudonicus
01-30-2002, 03:33 PM
about gl sticking rigidly to the "one film every three years" thing? IMHO, between the way technology is and the way the entertainment industry works, it seems more than a little dumb to space the films out this way, especially with the LOTR trilogy to consider- what do you think?

Jargo
01-30-2002, 03:54 PM
Nah, three years is fine. It takes that long for them to get all the good ideas nice and screwed up. It takes three years to **** up all the continuity. it takes three years to cast all the wrong preople in all the wrong parts. It takes three years to come up with excuses for why everythings been changed yet again in the character biographies on the official site. it takes three years to get Rick McCallums fat azz off the chair and into action. It takes three years to get George's ego from one continent to the next and back again. it takes three years of kiss azz fanboy gushiness to power the next movie into gear. it takes three years to make enough sh***y merchandise to go round. It takes three years for people to forget how bad the last one was. :mad: :frus: :mad: :frus: :mad: :frus: :mad: :frus: :mad:

JediTricks
01-30-2002, 10:31 PM
The only thing that bothers me about it is the way Lucas releases the film to home video markets less than 6 months after it comes out in theaters. For me, I'd rather have a promise of no Home Video for 2 years and have theaters keep playing the films (yes, even Ep 1). Watching it at home is great, but there's something about magic of the theater experience that makes it fantastic.

derek
01-30-2002, 10:39 PM
jeditricks, which film did lucas release to video in 6 months? E1 didn't come out on vhs untill may 2000.

i think it would be fitting to have E2 on dvd by nov./dec. 2002. there is no reason to make us wait 18 months like he did with E1.(by the way, have you bought it yet for your PS2?)

movie theatres are only going to play what people are seeing. if the demand for E2 is there, theatres will play it for as long as we continue to see it. but folks like me, who pay $80 for the dewback or watch E1 23 times in the theatre are rare birds.

GNT
01-30-2002, 11:35 PM
The only problem with releasing a film every three years is that the actors are way much older by the time they make the last film where as if he filmed it all in one go none of them would change/look older :)

derek
01-30-2002, 11:54 PM
GNT(garry nash travis):D ,

they are suposed to be older. as a matter of fact, they have not aged enough. only hayden is the correct age for his caracter.

2-1B
01-31-2002, 01:44 AM
Am I mistaken in my recollection from ca. 1995 that the prequels were originally planned for 1998/2000/2002 ? ? ?

I do not know where I got the idea from, but I do remember George on the THX release saying the first one would come out in '98, otherwise '99. Perhaps that is the beginning of my confusion . . .

Obi-Don
01-31-2002, 06:52 AM
I don't like the wait[every three years]but if that is what it takes,then so be it. I also think we shouldn't have to wait so long for the movie to come out on vedio or DVD. I like to watch the movie at home more than I do at the movies because there is no one bothering me with talking or moving around. Sometimes it is hard to get into a film when you have all that mess going on around you.And I can stop the movie when I have to go to the bathroom and not miss anything.Oh man,I sound like my Mom and Dad.I'm getting so old. :(

JEDIpartner
01-31-2002, 09:47 AM
With My HANDS!:stupid: :happy: :p :D ;) :rolleyes: :crazed:

stillakid
01-31-2002, 10:31 AM
Whatever the time period was supposed to be, the lull between TPM and AOTC gave Lucas time to reflect on the negative critical reviews and peek in to our discussions at various forums. I wouldn't mind at all if the time between TPM and AOTC was ten years, so long as he found a way to put the saga back on the proper track. Based on early indicators, it doesn't look like that happened to my satisfaction, but I am happy that he realized the need for a co-writer before launching right into production.

Aside from story-quality issues, it takes a lot of time to make a movie, especially one of this scope. And don't forget that they were field testing the new 24P cameras. 3 years is probably as fast as it can be done, from script to screen.

JediTricks
01-31-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by derek
jeditricks, which film did lucas release to video in 6 months? E1 didn't come out on vhs untill may 2000.

i think it would be fitting to have E2 on dvd by nov./dec. 2002. there is no reason to make us wait 18 months like he did with E1.(by the way, have you bought it yet for your PS2?)

movie theatres are only going to play what people are seeing. if the demand for E2 is there, theatres will play it for as long as we continue to see it. but folks like me, who pay $80 for the dewback or watch E1 23 times in the theatre are rare birds. Ep 1 was released on VHS in March 2000, the theater run for the movie was late May till Sept, Sept to March is 6 months (though I was really just generalizing my point, I was thinking as much about the Special Editions as Ep 1).

It's my opinion that the public would continue to go to the theaters to see a good Star Wars movie if they didn't know they'd just catch it at home a few months later.

Part of the theater experience is that the director has full control of how the audience sees his movie; at home, people can pause and come back, freeze frame, and this changes their entire attitude about the film. That's not a bad thing, but it's not how the film was initially intended. The theater experience is important to how a movie plays to an audience and can't be replaced by a big screen TV and a home stereo.

I haven't bought Ep 1 on DVD yet, I'm waiting till some relative forces it on me instead of paying for it myself.

The movie could have been finished last year, but Lucas wouldn't have had the quality product he desires. Star Wars was put out in 2 years from preproduction to final editing, but people don't want to work under the gun like that, it's very demanding and can lead to mistakes or even disasters. If ILM was faster, the movie WOULD have been out 5 months ago, but instead of speed, they strive for Lucas' ideas of perfection since he's the head cheese.

SithDroid
02-01-2002, 12:29 AM
I agree with you completely EMPEROR JARGO, except for some of the actors. I like Ewan McGreggor as Obi-Wan. Jar-Jar (and his annoying voice) can go away, permanently. Hayden, I'm unsure of just yet. I believe a better casting choice would have been Ryan Phillipe. He kind of looks like Hayden AND Phillipe knows martial arts, which could have been a great advantage in these next two films. He was considered originally I believe. I wonder why he wasn't chosen?

Jargo
02-01-2002, 09:01 PM
That one's easy. At the time of casting Mr. Philipe was roughly 29 and considered too old to play such a strapping young lad as Anakin. Personally I don't think he looks any older than Hayden but then all them pretty boy actors you got over there look the same to me. :)

Lord Tenebrous
02-01-2002, 10:23 PM
I do believe that there were several occasions where Lucas stated that he would have liked to have four years in between. But I don't really care. At least he's fairly consistent in his boring existense.. If he were to get into an accident or get into a relationship, his feelings about life would become so tenuous that the script would melt into a puddle of nonsense. :sur:

stillakid
02-01-2002, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tenebrous
his feelings about life would become so tenuous that the script would melt into a puddle of nonsense. :sur:

That's the "kids" effect that we saw happen to ROTJ and TPM.

SithDroid
02-03-2002, 12:11 AM
I agree stillakid.

bigbarada
02-03-2002, 12:20 AM
Didn't Lucas' wife leave him before ROTJ was released? If so that would help explain the direction the saga has taken after ESB.

stillakid
02-03-2002, 12:37 AM
I'm sure many of you have heard Spielberg say that if he had to make Close Encounters today, it would be a very different movie. Roy essentially leaves his family to pursue a dream. Pus*sified Spielberg of today (no guns in ET) wouldn't have Roy do such a terrible thing and would instead have him return home.

R2 was cute enough for all of us 30-something's when we were little kids. For some reason, Lucas felt that his own kids needed more over-the-top cutesy-cuddley characters. Enter Ewoks and then Jar Jar.

There should be a rule to disallow great filmmakers to continue working if they have children midway through their careers. It really tends to ruin them.

SithDroid
02-03-2002, 01:00 AM
Yeah, no kidding. Like the whole gun thing in E.T. Who cares? Like anyone has ever really complained about it before. Does this mean that once they digitally remove them from the peoples hands that they are going to look like they have a cramp in their hand. Perhaps they will digitally insert an icecream cone.:crazed: :D Now that is something the whole family can enjoy.:D Ah, give me a break, cut out the stupid stuff Spielberg. Just leave E.T. alone. I hate it when CLASSICS get messed with because the directors have mid-life crisis's and decide that their earlier movies were inferior and need to try to improve upon them, but all they eventually end up doing to them is make the people hate the new version. When will they learn. Probably never.

2-1B
02-03-2002, 01:32 AM
SithDroid, it is my understanding that the guns in E.T. have been digitally replaced with "walkie talkies" :)

Beast
02-03-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
SithDroid, it is my understanding that the guns in E.T. have been digitally replaced with "walkie talkies" :)

Yep, the theatrical re-release will feature new CGI shots of ET, as well as the removal of the guns from the FBI agents hands. They have been replaced with the old style 80's Walkie Talkies. I have a picture saved somewhere, if I find it I will upload.

Good news for all you fans of the original version of E.T. though. Speilburg has stated that for the DVD release, both versions will be avaliable for purchase. I'm not sure if it's on the same disc set, or seperate releases, to early to say. Hopefully he shares that idea to release both with Lucas. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
02-03-2002, 01:41 AM
Also, I heard that Reese's Pieces are being replaced with children's vitamins. :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Beast
02-03-2002, 04:29 AM
I finally found my images, was a pain to locate them thanks to all the E2 toy pics I've been saving. I don't mind the change, since they are releasing the original version on DVD later.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Original Gun Wielding FBI Agents:

Beast
02-03-2002, 04:31 AM
New CGI Walkie Talkie Wielding FBI Agents:

ThomasLane
02-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Obi-Don
I don't like the wait[every three years]but if that is what it takes,then so be it. I also think we shouldn't have to wait so long for the movie to come out on vedio or DVD. I like to watch the movie at home more than I do at the movies because there is no one bothering me with talking or moving around. Sometimes it is hard to get into a film when you have all that mess going on around you.And I can stop the movie when I have to go to the bathroom and not miss anything.Oh man,I sound like my Mom and Dad.I'm getting so old. :(

I find it a lot hard to watch a movie at home, with the phone ringing and the doorbell ringing and the kids wailing and....

ThomasLane
02-03-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
New CGI Walkie Talkie Wielding FBI Agents:

It's kind of funny, but I remember seeing that scene a long time ago and thinking "Are those guys gonna shoot a bunch of kids with those big long rifles?!". As a kid, that was kind of a scary thought. Though I think the change is justified, it's a little too late. Most of today's kids have repeatedly seen much worse.