PDA

View Full Version : Voting for inclusion in the 2007 Greatest Hits line . . .

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-07-2006, 06:51 PM
. . . it's happening, but only to members of the RS forums. I won't even link over there but it's worth a look; apparently the old figures that get high votes will be included in the line next year. It's cool but at the same time unfair that only RS people get to do it . . .

Kidhuman
10-07-2006, 07:30 PM
I bet it has somehting to do with old Dusty being the pres.

Isobars&:beard:

Turbowars
10-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Just reg and vote. It's OK to leave SSG. :thumbsup:

decadentdave
10-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Well that does seem rather unfair. I remember a time (a long time ago...) when Star Wars fans were a community of kindred spirits who shared a universal passion and love but it seems that within the last few years it has deteriorated into a haven of rampant selfishness catering to individuals who think Star Wars is THEIRS and shouldn't be shared with anyone else. I'm sorry but this just totally alienates me as a fan. When exclusives and membership only priveleges are being pimped out to get everyone else to jump onboard with the franchise marketing gameplan, I find myself increasingly suffering from franchise-fatigue and apathy. More and more I'm beginning to look the other way when exclusive merchandise is being pimped out in my face (READ: Endor Troopers) to endless rehashes of the same stuff we already own in a desperate effort to get us to buy it all over again. I've already abandoned the Fan Club but it's the cool fans that still share their infectuous enthusiasm and passion that sustain whatever desire I still have left in a franchise that needs to be put to bed.

Turbowars
10-07-2006, 08:54 PM
LOL it's not the end of the world. Just got over there and vote if you want to. I can see complaining about Hyperspace because it's pretty useless and you have to pay, but RS is free. With an attitude like that why do you even collect?

Jargo
10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Well that's what you get when you have a site that constantly sucks on the brown stuff.

pbarnard
10-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Just reg and vote. It's OK to leave SSG. :thumbsup:

But use protection. No telling what one may catch...just like when IT is free.

Turbowars
10-07-2006, 09:05 PM
It=box????

pbarnard
10-07-2006, 09:07 PM
It=box????
The IT your parents warned you about and that you dread your children asking about...

Course, if RS is a cross section of the starwars community as a whole, hopefully they'll do it right and vote for figs that most of us would want like VOTC Stormtroopers, SA Clones, Astromechs, decent sculpted aliens like the last 2 years of cantina singles...

Turbowars
10-07-2006, 09:09 PM
The IT your parents warned you about and that you dread your children asking about...

..pretty much the same thing :yes:

decadentdave
10-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Sorry, guess I'm just in a highly agitated state of mind right now so the slghtest thing sets me off. I've had to deal with certain... fanatics on other forums that pound the mantra into the ground that if you disagree with the majority and don't jump on the bandwagon and follow along with what everyone else is doing than you are not a fan, yadda yadda yadda. Plus I haven't slept in 2 days so maybe it's time to put me to bed ;)

That reminds me of a line from Bond, "No one ever leaves the SSG." :D

Turbowars
10-07-2006, 09:31 PM
2 days? What are you a DR? Dude don't be sorry. Sometime this collecting business is hard to deal with just don't listen to all the BS thats on all these sites. Hang in there and get some sleep!:thumbsup:

jedi master sal
10-08-2006, 10:24 AM
While I'm mildly miffed that RS got the chance to do this (or is it that they are doing it on their own and Hasbro really has nothing to do with it...) I voted anyway.

I'm not a forumite there. I have maybe 3-4 posts? I do check out their photos and check the homepage. That's abotu it. So o the rare occasion when something like this crops up, I'll do it. But I know where my loyalties lie and that's with SSG. Now if Hasbro asked all of the major sites to do this, that would have been great. But given that, I think there would have been a slant towards certain figures, menaing people like myself who are registered practically everywhere would vote in each forum, unduly raising the tally for certain figures. For instance I voted for the dirty and clean EPI battle droids. Now multiply that buy oh say 6-7 sites. How is that fair for the people who onnly post on a couple of site or ONE?

If this truly is a Hasbro offering through RS, then I'm fine with it. Of course I'd rather it be SSG, but we never get respect in the community, so I'll just continue being one of the red-headed step children of collecting...heh heh.

Turbowars
10-08-2006, 10:34 AM
But I know where my loyalties lie and that's with SSG. .
I don't really understand this. You are only limiting yourself to other info and opinions. My interest in Hasbro is almost gone and the GG and SSC theads here are very slow so I have to go elsewhere. From my post counts you can see that I have spent most of my time here, but that's changing.

El Chuxter
10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Well that's what you get when you have a site that constantly sucks on the brown stuff.

You mean Bizarro the Grin? :confused:

I bet some folks here now wish that they'd not called Grievous a "pice of carp" or smacked infants around. Or maybe, more likely, those folks don't give a rat's about reissues and couldn't care less.

Seriously, though, the whole "agree with me or leave my forums" carp is for the birds, and I wouldn't support it even if they had an exclusive figure thrown in the deal. Unless the figure was Teek.&

JediTricks
10-08-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm a little hesitant to trust ANY fan site with something like this, just because of the implication of impropriety on the webmasters' parts, it's especially easy to change poll results when it's on your own site and whether or not you do, some collectors will claim you skewed the results to suit your personal interests. Even Hasbro caught flak for that each time they ran one of those fan choice polls.

I must admit, after Phil's nasty statements about the Fan Club presidency I am not interested in participating in this poll or anything else at RS, that left a bad mark on the collecting community IMO.

Bottom line for me is that this shows even further how out of touch Hasbro is with the collectors - both kids and adults - that they have to go to ToyFare and now RS for this sort of information. I appreciate their interest in getting collector feedback on this, but by giving it to any fan site they are limiting their results to just whomever visits those sites which may not be a fair cross-section of the market. Plus, I honestly don't care for the way Hasbro's running these "greatest hits" lines, I don't want them to think this is an acceptable idea.

JON9000
10-08-2006, 06:43 PM
This is purely Hasbro market research. Everybody knows the winners would be repacks of premium figures (VOTC) excellent quality regular releases (SA clone) and "scarce" figs (you know who you are!).

I'm all for it, actually, if the fans get their wishes.

jedi master sal
10-09-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't really understand this. You are only limiting yourself to other info and opinions. My interest in Hasbro is almost gone and the GG and SSC theads here are very slow so I have to go elsewhere. From my post counts you can see that I have spent most of my time here, but that's changing.

Hmm, I don't understand you're answer to mine. I hardly limit myself at all. On a regular basis I check SSG, JTA, RS, then to a lesser degree, YN, JD, YF, and still even some others after those. I also belong to two VERY active SW collecting groups. While I only post primarily here, JTA and my two local SW collecting groups. So my limitations are quite exceeding actually.

Or did I read your statement wrong?

Blackthorpe
10-11-2006, 11:39 AM
You know, I'm pretty miffed by the whole RS fan club thing, too. They even got a write-up in the last issue of the Insider. But, I'm still voting on this, and I'm voting for all the figs I wanted but wasn't able to get, most of which are far too expensive on eBay right now. The RS community is pretty weird, though... Not a comfortable place, like SSG!

jedi master sal
10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
You know, I'm pretty miffed by the whole RS fan club thing, too. They even got a write-up in the last issue of the Insider. But, I'm still voting on this, and I'm voting for all the figs I wanted but wasn't able to get, most of which are far too expensive on eBay right now. The RS community is pretty weird, though... Not a comfortable place, like SSG!

Agreed.

On the chance that these polls may be legit, I voted in them. I don't post on RS, though I did post 1 post in 2 of the poll threads. I think my total count of posts over there is 8 and that's over a few years.

Those polls have been the only thing in a long time that I felt were worthy enough that I should post or vote in them.

Also, I copied the lists down. That makes it REAL easy to catalog stuff having them do the work for me. Complete or not, it's the vast majoirty of figures, so it's going to save time.

Anyway, it does still suck that this wasn't either done over several sites or officially at Hasbro.

Jargo
10-11-2006, 05:02 PM
well i had a nose over there and some muppet is posting the voting leaders at regular intervals so seeing as you can't see the leaders until you've voted this muppet is attempting to or successfully even, leading the voting in a particular direction so ostensibly that makes an entire mockery of their voting system. pretty pathetic way to run things if you ask me. seems more like the RS clique will vote one way and override the rest of the voters.
and is it even legitimate? does it actually have anything to do with hasbro or is it just some little fanboys presenting hasbro with another wishlist they can ignore? It's not like the forums at various sites aren't already full enough of lists and wishful thinking for hasbro to see.
One thing i will say from viewing the tallies is that a lot of people or a few people voting many times have absolutely no clue when it comes to what constitutes a quality toy or a toy is great. Shaaka from the Watto's box seats is a greatest hit candidate in the voting for pities sake. greatest hit or greatest *word for ladybumps beginning with T* ? That's just sad. pathetic and sad.

JON9000
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
I think you can only vote once, and the leaders are the obvious figures:

former exclusives
vehicle pack-ins
figs that were very HTF at retail
SA troops
all around awesome figures

If it makes you feel any better, the odds are very likely the ones you want to win will win. Whether Hasbro actually produces them is another matter. They aren't going to put out a GH line that consists almost exclusively of SA troopers and obscure exclusives. They have to be using this to gauge which figures (among those they are considering) would sell best... like, "which Han should we use" or "which Battle Droid is best" or (HOPE HOPE) "would people like to see SA Boba Fett again?" On top of that, you might see a couple of exclusives and pack-ins.

Jargo
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
yeah but even if you can only vote once posting the leaders is still bad form. the percentages shouldn't be viewable until the voting ends. same as it worked for the last fan's choice poll....

never mind. I got better things to do that get irritated about this. I'm off to ebay.

Blue2th
10-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Well, If and when these figures do come out, we can call them the "Rebelscum's Greatist Hits":rolleyes: Hope Hasbro puts their logo on the cards, and they rot on the pegs.:whip:

Turbowars
10-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Disclaimer...In not way shape or form am I defending RS.

I don't understand why some are upset that RS is handling this. If anything we should be unhappy with Hasbro for setting up another BS poll and continuing to release more rehashed figures. (I want nothing but new stuff from hasbro) If SSG was holding the poll I wouldn't think badly of them doing it. We all know that for the most part these polls are rigged so just pretend it's not happening. :yes:

Kidhuman
10-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, If and when these figures do come out, we can call them the "Rebelscum's Greatist Hits":rolleyes: Hope Hasbro puts their logo on the cards, and they rot on the pegs.:whip:

I wouldnt buy anything that had an RS logo on it.

&Isobars

pbarnard
10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
I don't buy the fact Hasbro won't put out SA figures. They're repacked the VOTC stormie how many times? The VOTC Vader has been retooled how many times? They even just released the POS VOTC 3PO in the DVD multipacks. Using existing molds factors into keeping costs down (or so they say) which would save money for them to make newer and better molds.

I'm not opposed to this line (doing it at a collecting site is questionable) because it gives many of us to pick up figs that as a collective we might want. It gives kids a chance to pick up figs they may not have been old enough or alive to get. It perpetuates the line. Do I think it would be smarter for Hasbro to center a repack/rehash wave like Heroes and Villians around Christmas when most kids would want or expect to get toys? Yep.

Blue2th
10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
It would be hard for me to buy any of them, knowing they were chosen from an RS "exclusive" poll. It's bogus just like the the Star Wars fan club president fiasco. I doubt that Hasbro has anything to do with it. RS is probably jumping on the "Greatist Hits" bandwagon because they know Hasbro is doing them anyway. Suck-ups.

Turbowars
10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
They're repacked the VOTC stormie how many times? Good question. The mold was reused for the BlackHole, Lucas and Saga Stormies. Funny thing is there hasn't been a Repack of the plain VOTC White Stormy since it's 1st release.

Turbowars
10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
It would be hard for me to buy any of them, knowing they were chosen from an RS "exclusive" poll. It's bogus just like the the Star Wars fan club president fiasco. I doubt that Hasbro has anything to do with it. RS is probably jumping on the "Greatist Hits" bandwagon because they know Hasbro is doing them anyway. Suck-ups.Where are you getting this? So you are saying that RS just made up this poll with out hasbro? Hell who knows, stranger things have happened like the results for the fan Club President. :whip: :D

El Chuxter
10-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Since few, if any, collectors frequent all the sites, I'm opposed to the idea of any fansite hosting such a poll.

Darth Jax
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
i didn't know there were any other star wars sites. the internet just gets bigger and bigger every day

Phantom-like Menace
10-12-2006, 04:58 AM
I haven't posted outside of their customizing section in longer than I can remember, but I have an account there so I voted.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like such a big deal to me. Repack isnt' always a dirty word. It's only become a dirty word since Hasbro has been so brain dead in which version of figures they repack. Also, if it's obvious that certain figures will win (exclusives, figures from sets, etc.), then whether fans vote or whether Hasbro just makes them, the results are the same, so why complain either way?

If VOTC Stormtroopers come out of this it's for the good, and as I posted there, I'm insanely happy as long as I get Coleman Trebor and R3-A2 out of the deal.

pegger
10-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Repacks save me money.

I would much rather see kitbashes or, dare I say it, NEW FIGURES than repacks - especially since 98.9% of them can be bought off ebay for less than retail now...

Hell - I've seen Jorg Sacul going for less than $20 recently....

Rogue II
10-12-2006, 11:41 AM
Repacks save me money.

I would much rather see kitbashes or, dare I say it, NEW FIGURES than repacks - especially since 98.9% of them can be bought off ebay for less than retail now...

Hell - I've seen Jorg Sacul going for less than $20 recently....

I think we all would rather see new figures and kitbashes, but if Hasbro is going to do repacks, they might as well ask us which ones we want. It saves me money, too.

JON9000
10-12-2006, 02:00 PM
just to set the record straight, RS now has a disclaimer alongside the poll indicating the final decision on figures to include is solely up to Hasbro. In other words, top vote getters do not necessarily win.

I'm okay with this situation for 2 reasons:

1. I knew it all along

2. I don't want a line made up exclusively of troopers. Yuck! Hopefully, they'll choose from figures that performed at least decently in the poll, will sell well to KIDS and collectors, and represent a broad variety of product.

DarkArtist
10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
hey I want for my greatest hits:

Monkey Faced Leia
Bow-Flex Luke Skywalker and Han Solo
Brassed Off Chewbacca
Green Tinted C-3PO
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

but seriously I would love to see troop builders in the greatest hits line sucj as AT-AT driver, Death Star Gunner, various clones, Endor Rebels, Rebels Fleet Troopers, TIE Pilots, Cloud Car Pilots, Imperial Officers, maybe even some kitbashed rebel officers using either the Lando General Body or the General Madine body with new head sculpts.

Also would love to see a Bantha and Tuskan Raider repack, missed out on this back in the POTF days.

Jargo
10-12-2006, 08:19 PM
if hasbro has the final say what is the point of this? if they ignore the top vote getters and go with something else then there is no point. it's just wasting peoples time and bandwidth.

and yes, the bantha coupled with the VOTC tusken raidr would be mighty freakin sweet. the original tusken is not that good compared to the VOTC one it's just a POTF2 tusken wearing a skirt. VOTC tusken would look spot on right and really do the bantha justice. though hasbro should know that's a sound idea anyway.

Phantom-like Menace
10-12-2006, 11:50 PM
if hasbro has the final say what is the point of this? if they ignore the top vote getters and go with something else then there is no point. it's just wasting peoples time and bandwidth.

It does certainly narrow down the list of what we want. See the US Electoral College for further information.

JON9000
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM

Marketing. It helps Hasbro to sell toys which is the business they are in. If you give fanboys the chance to feel as though they actually have input in something, they tend to wet their pants. Observe Snakes on a Plane, or that stupid Batman story back in 87. I think the poll will factor in somehow, if Hasbro truly solicited it.

and yes, the bantha coupled with the VOTC tusken raidr would be mighty freakin sweet. the original tusken is not that good compared to the VOTC one it's just a POTF2 tusken wearing a skirt. VOTC tusken would look spot on right and really do the bantha justice. though hasbro should know that's a sound idea anyway.

I have the POTF2 version and the Tusky has an extremely wide stance in order to mount the Bantha. I don't think the VOTC fella has the proper articulation for such a pose.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-20-2006, 07:31 PM
RS had an update today (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Greatest_Hits_2007_Fan_Favorites_Round_1_Results_1 00933.asp). Most of the choices are pretty good, and they also revealed that we'll be getting these for sure:

*Max Rebo band as a 2008 exclusive - I have all these so I won't worry. But I bet they'll have some cool new accessory or something . . . this would be a really crappy way to release Yarna.
*Y-wing in 2007 - cool. I got the 2001 version but not the 2004 version, but I wouldn't mind one or two more yellow ones. Hopefully it doesn't come with the pi**-poor pilot from the other releases.
*VOTC Stormtrooper with Jango head in 2007 - cool, more stormies. All the whiners can just put the helmet back on. Like they said, it's an easy way to make stormtrooper disguise figures, which is of course a good thing.
*Battle of Felucia Battlepack with Bly and trooper - just worth noting.
*Mara Jade in a comic 2-pack in 2007 - pretty cool.
*Grand Admiral Thrawn in 2008 - since there are absoluetly no other movie or EU figures who haven't been done already. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see the pit droids, battle droids (all versions), TC-14, R2-B1, Sio Bibble, all three Imperial Officers, the clone pilot, the 4-pack sandtroopers, the 4-pack clones, the covert ops clone, and the shock trooper re-released. It would suck if the only winners were the 87 different sandtroopers, or both versions of the yellow AOTC clone. Also, why are they even including the Clone Sergeant when he's being released later in the TSC? Oh well.

DarkArtist
10-20-2006, 09:06 PM
I think it's funny that the majority of the picks are clones. Just think perhaps instead of Greatest Battles or Heroes and Villians that could name it Build Your Army

Phantom-like Menace
10-21-2006, 01:40 AM
*VOTC Stormtrooper with Jango head in 2007 - cool, more stormies. All the whiners can just put the helmet back on.

Be rational? Impossible!

I think it's funny that the majority of the picks are clones. Just think perhaps instead of Greatest Battles or Heroes and Villians that could name it Build Your Army

It's kind of funny that Hasbro can't be convinced to release enough clones in great enough amounts and collectors who don't like clones can't be convinced Hasbro will make anything but clones. Pretty much the only people who should actually be unhappy are clone fans.

I'm down for the stormie, Mara, Thrawn, the Felucia pack, and I'll get the Y-wing only if you can insert your own astromech.

pegger
10-21-2006, 08:16 AM
OK -so they nixed Bly and his troopers, etc... casue they were being released - but they left the red R2 ???

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-21-2006, 01:07 PM
OK -so they nixed Bly and his troopers, etc... casue they were being released - but they left the red R2 ???
The one in the Queen's Royal Starship is different than the one in the Commemorative Tin. Er, they're the same character, but different sculpts.

And I quote myself:

Also, why are they even including the Clone Sergeant when he's being released later in the TSC?
They're doing the same thing with some other clones, which I think is a bad idea. The same figures could be shipping on different cards, at the same time! It's like this year's Vader flood all over again. :D

JON9000
10-23-2006, 01:12 PM
If they do some Rebo Band stuff, I'd like to see the weequay dude and his drums. I think Dutch Vander would make a good pack in with a new Y-wing if they could give him VOTC Luke's lower body.

About the vote... I would be shocked if we see more than 5 troops. Clones are boring(!).

dindae
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
About the vote... I would be shocked if we see more than 5 troops. Clones are boring(!).

No more boring than other repacks to me. The only pack that I will be looking forward to is the possible Battle Droid two pack.

El Chuxter
10-23-2006, 03:56 PM
I think next year Hasbro should release the "Hall of Shame" figure line:

The first wave could be:

Monkey-Faced Leia
"Say No to Steroids" Tatooine Luke (version from the Desert Sport Skiff with the inexplicable hole in the pack)
Rocket-Launching R5-D4
Crazy Flipping Count Dooku
Greg Proops and Some Other Guy in Two-Faced Announcer Disguise
Imperial Scanning Trooper

And, as a Target exclusive, the Cruisemissile Trooper vs Boba Fett and his Crazy Funky Superhuge Attack Backpack two-pack!

jedi master sal
10-24-2006, 11:19 AM
I think next year Hasbro should release the "Hall of Shame" figure line:

The first wave could be:

Monkey-Faced Leia
"Say No to Steroids" Tatooine Luke (version from the Desert Sport Skiff with the inexplicable hole in the pack)
Rocket-Launching R5-D4
Crazy Flipping Count Dooku
Greg Proops and Some Other Guy in Two-Faced Announcer Disguise
Imperial Scanning Trooper

And, as a Target exclusive, the Cruisemissile Trooper vs Boba Fett and his Crazy Funky Superhuge Attack Backpack two-pack!

Don't give 'em any ideas...

El Chuxter
10-24-2006, 11:23 AM
They already have plenty of bad ideas. I'm not too worried about them stealing that one. :)

Devo
10-24-2006, 11:46 PM
I have a feeling that Y-wing will come with a new pilot figure from ANH or Jedi. It'll be a new character from one of those films with a new head&helmet using other existing body parts to form an actually pretty good packin-in much like Zev with the Rogue II snowspeeder. I can't see Hasbro not seeing how worthwhile that extra effort will be in getting people to buy another Y-wing. And it'd be a greater bonus too if the astromech socket was empty for a droid of our choice. After the Dagobah X-wing and the Rogue II snowspeeder I expect something nice again.

Turbowars
10-25-2006, 12:26 AM
They said the B-Wing will be back and the V-wing will make it's debut.

pbarnard
10-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Interesting that it is now on the frontpage of starwars.com

JediTricks
10-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Well, this is pretty lousy:

But first a word about last week: it appears that some fans have been, shall we say, a bit overzealous in their voting strategy. This resulted in several polls with exaggerated numbers, forcing us to change the poll code behind-the-scenes which should prevent poll tampering in the rest of the tournament.

After determining the average number of legit votes in all polls, the total from each figure was subtracted from the average, and the true winner was selected. In most cases, this did not change the results, but there are a few polls that were affected, which will no doubt be controversial.

The most abused poll, the Sandtrooper/Battle Droids poll, it was impossible to determine the true winner since there was tampering on both sides. In this case only, the results stand as is.
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Greatest_Hits_2007_Fan_Favorites_Showdown_2_101096 .asp

Can you say "ruined", boys and girls? I knew you could.

And some of this week's faceoffs are ridiculous, VTSC Biker Scout vs FX-7??? That's 2 figures that should be made, not "one vs the other". And the Evolutions Sandtrooper goes up against both 2-1B and the Death Star Gunner, especially when the TSC Sandtrooper is superior to the Evo one no matter what paint scheme it has (one of which looks like it was pulled out of a dewback's backside)? Pretty lame, looks like the greatest hits line is going to be pretty awful next year, as if it weren't bad enough to begin with.

dindae
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Yeah the whole "there can be only one" doesn't make sense. The should have done two or three rounds of voting max.

Best of each line - take all that achieve a certain percentage

Best of the best - take all the winners from the first round and take the highest percentage figure to fill the slots

I personally felt dumb voting the last round because out of the selections I will buy only the battle droids which I think were losing at the time and I really wonder if the majority of the voters will by buyers either.

Tycho
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
It's incredible when I looked over at Rebelscum as to who won the initial rounds for the re-release figures - and the overwhelming majority of them are wearing white armor.

I'm an army builder myself, so it doesn't so much surprise me, but it made me pause and wonder "is Star Wars actually about wearing white armor afterall?"

El Chuxter
10-30-2006, 06:24 PM
Tycho, if the system wouldn't tell me the answer was too short for a post, I'd reply:

Yes.

jjreason
10-30-2006, 11:44 PM
Can you say "ruined", boys and girls? I knew you could.

And some of this week's faceoffs are ridiculous....

Boy, JT - for a minute there you sounded surprised! The whole thing's a gong show. They should have had voting in categories OTHER THAN the era in which the figure was released: favorite Army builder, favorite droid, favorite background character, etc - that would have led to a better cross-section of Greatest Hits characters for next year.

Tycho
10-31-2006, 12:07 AM
They should have had voting in categories OTHER THAN the era in which the figure was released.

I agree with you JJReason, however, they did not even have competitons with figures within the eras they came out in.

What was with 1998 ROTJ Ishi Tibb versus 2003 CW ARC Trooper? Those two have nothing to do with one another.

It wasn't organized any logical way that I can tell.

It'll be a bunch of clones and stormtroopers and that's fine by me. Army builders will keep the cases moving - and if the adult army builders like JMS and myself are saturated with troops, kids may then start the chance to army build themselves.

Most of us have figures like Sio Bibble and Ephant Mon now. We either ransacked retail stores for weeks looking for them, or we bought from scalpers or eBay if that was what it took. We'd probably cautiously respond to the retail offering of those figures again if they should be so offered.

Troop builders will sell to someone. Clones are shipping now - but you don't see them sitting for long, do you?

In the revised, "action figure fan version of Star Wars," the saga is about this Sith plot to take over the galaxy. To do so, they clone this guy Jango Fett millions of times and make his clones wear white armor and fight. They battle droids, then guys with laserswords. At first they are crack-troops, but then they eventually lose their ability to shoot straight and they fall in mud somehow, even while aboard perfectly clean spaceships. Finally, they are defeated on a planet held by carniverous teddy bears. That must be what Star Wars is all about.

The moral of the saga is to "watch out for carniverous teddy bears."

DarkArtist
10-31-2006, 07:36 AM
I have been voting since the beginning and it is no surprise that the poll was tampered with, afterall look what happened to the toyfare one. I think that the Rebelscum one is a better bet since once you log on to their website and submit your votes you can't do it over and over again unless you have access to several computers. Afterall toyfare just keep letting you vote over and over again.

JediTricks
10-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Boy, JT - for a minute there you sounded surprised! The whole thing's a gong show.Well, I am a secret optimist. :p I felt bad for all my fellow collectors who voted for figures they believed in and wanted to see again only to see their hopes dashed and voices snuffed out.

I have been voting since the beginning and it is no surprise that the poll was tampered with, afterall look what happened to the toyfare one. I think that the Rebelscum one is a better bet since once you log on to their website and submit your votes you can't do it over and over again unless you have access to several computers. Afterall toyfare just keep letting you vote over and over again.Actually, I believe those that tampered with RS's poll simply cleared a cookie and revoted... ok, I can confirm that, I didn't bother to actually slam it with votes but it's only cookie-based logging, sloppy and easy to outwit since it's been proven vulnerable for so many years now (we were dumping on Hasbro using it back in the first fans choice poll, before they required registration which still somehow allowed cheating). There's no foolproof method, but there are many more voting systems out there now that are better than that (not that we at SSG have any better voting system, but we're not putting on an official Hasbro poll either).

jedi master sal
11-01-2006, 07:55 AM
NICE, thanks JT. I cleared my cookies and revoted for a couple of the ones I really want to see win. I only voted one extra time. I didn't take advantage and vote like 200 more times for any one fig. There's really only two for me that are so close that I want one in particular from each of those. I may clear the cookies once a day and vote again once a day until the voting is closed.
But in any event, it's nice to know we have people who know how to circumvent the system, heh heh.

JediTricks
11-01-2006, 05:55 PM
That was not my intention.

JON9000
11-02-2006, 10:29 AM
And some of this week's faceoffs are ridiculous, VTSC Biker Scout vs FX-7???

The whole idea of single elimination face-off is wrong-headed. Anybody who would try to stack a poll and cheat on something as meaningless as figures really ought to consider leaving the hobby, because it is obvious they need a life and their priorities are screwy.

kool-aid killer
11-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I just voted. The hardest one was chosing between the AOTC clonetrooper and darktrooper. I get the impression that the darktrooper will be the overall winner of this thing...

pbarnard
11-10-2006, 03:30 PM
I just got voted. The hardest one was chosing between the AOTC clonetrooper and darktrooper. I get the impression that the darktrooper will be the overall winner of this thing...

Which is funny because Lucas Arts has tried their hardest to drop that part from the Kyle Katarn story line....

Blackthorpe
11-11-2006, 04:09 PM
I'll be very disappointed if the Darktrooper wins. Personally, I think he was a pretty lame figure. But, knowing the way RS seems to operate, that's probably the one they like the most, so even if it doesn't win in reality, it will "officially". :rolleyes:

Tycho
11-11-2006, 08:20 PM
OK, there are at least 12 to 24 figures in the Greatest Hits cases that shipped this year. (I don't follow it as I'm not a carded collector and have all those figures from 2005, so I just ignore it in the store as I rummage the racks looking for the Naboo wave - well technically - I have employee help and thus only show up when I'm called).

But if there is going to be a GH assortment of 24 to down to maybe 12 figures, why have elimination rounds down to 1 figure? It's just a pointless little distraction.

Ephant Mon is probably the best figure ever made (we'll see how Jaff's elimination thread turns out probably next year). Just the same, probably all of us have him and don't want another as bad as many of you need troop builders (Clones, Imperials, etc.)

A more accurate way to run the GH poll would have been to vote wave by wave I guess - and you can stick all of them some kind of big round-up. But I guess to narrow it down to fit in their nice contestant-chart graphic, they had everyone write in their top figure choices - out of 100 or so?

So maybe this works. I don't know. But it still doesn't require a run-off down to a single figure - which might be a troop builder because folks just need more of those.

So because some Clone Commander beats Ephant Mon, which is going to happen, it doesn't mean he's a better figure - just more useful. You can see why I have limited interest in the results of this survey. Besides, I buy all my multiples as they first come out. For example, I have 6 out of 8 of the Rep Beens I want. If they ever make Rep Teers, there's minimal difference between the Gungans that I noticed, and I'll have a full council of Clone Gungans already ;) It's just like I don't need Nute Gunray with various hat changes.

Blackthorpe
11-12-2006, 12:58 PM
I think that the poll will only fill one slot of the greatest hits, not decide the entire thing. The way I understand it, Hasbro pretty much has the line-up ready, they just wanted some fan opinion for extra fun. It is, as you say, pretty much pointless.

Blackthorpe
11-13-2006, 11:32 AM
RS is now saying that the top 4 will be included in the line, and it currently looks like the Darktrooper will be one of those 4. I'm not too thrilled by the choices, personally, but not overly surprised, either.

Jargo
11-13-2006, 12:14 PM
the darktrooper is a poor poor figure. it's a terrible sculpt and there's nothing great about it. if it wins then it confirms to me that most people who vote in polls like that have absolutely no taste and no clue whatsoever.

Rogue II
11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
It is kind of a strange match-up...EU stormtrooper vs. Clonetrooper. I won't buy either. It's too bad they put the Imperial officers agains TC-14. I'd like to see both re-released.

jjreason
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
I think it (the Darktrooper winning) goes to show that a lot of people missed out on this figure the first go 'round. If I were voting, that would be a strong consideration of mine as well.

JediTricks
11-13-2006, 04:10 PM
My complaint about the Darktrooper is that it's too short, and it's not the common Dark Trooper, there was only 1 of this model in the game, it's actually Mohc's dark trooper suit.

There's a lot of turkeys in this round, stuff the majority of buyers aren't going to want, somehow Ephant Mon gets defeated but the stupid under-articulated pit droids move on? The only things in there I can say for sure should be seen again are VTSC Biker Scout, TC-14, and Imperial Officers.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Bonus Pit Droids vs. Biker Scout??? And the Biker Scout is winning??? What the hell are these people smoking? The Biker Scout was released earlier this year and will be rereleased with green in just a few weeks; the Pit Droids have NEVER been released in the USA and now likely never will.

TC-14 needs to win over the Imperial Officers. I'm willing to bet that most people already have one or two of the three heads, but that very few people have TC-14. That's my case, at least.

The Dewback Clean-Up Duty Sandtrooper is such a crappy figure. The final two polls all have figures that I don't care about. They should've put the GOOD figures (Biker Scout, Pit Droids, TC-14, Imperial Officers) in each of the polls so then we wouldn't have to see the crappy-*** Darktrooper or Craptrooper ever again.

Hopefully things will get better as the week goes on . . .

jedi master sal
11-14-2006, 11:38 PM
the darktrooper is a poor poor figure. it's a terrible sculpt and there's nothing great about it. if it wins then it confirms to me that most people who vote in polls like that have absolutely no taste and no clue whatsoever.

Total agreement. The Darktrooper figure sucks big time. The only justifiable reason I see people voting for this is if they missed it before.

That's mainly how I voted for thes this round. I never got the Pit Droids, so I voted. Still stunned though that the Biker Scout is winning.... Though I did get TC-14, I know many others didn't and while I'd like to army build the Imp officers, I'd be more tha happy to defer my vote while everyone else gets teh chance to own a TC-14 for themselves. As to the Whit Paulron Sandtrooper and the Grey Clone commander from the Evolutions set, I don't need any more sandtroopers. how ever I only got one of the grey clone commanders. I'd like to get a few more of that figure. Doubtful that will happen.

Tycho
11-14-2006, 11:53 PM
The main reason people are voting the way they are is because I didn't reach them soon enough and hit them over the head with a steel pipe.

pegger
11-15-2006, 06:22 AM
The main reason people are voting the way they are is because I didn't reach them soon enough and hit them over the head with a steel pipe.

HA!

This was a stupid poll...The problem with surveys and polls are that they ASSUME people are intelligent.

edit - except for the polls on this site - they rock!

Blackthorpe
11-15-2006, 02:01 PM
I missed the Darktrooper, don't think I ever saw it, and I'm not voting for that piece of crap. I did vote for the Scouttrooper though, since I'm not interested in pit droids.

Tycho
11-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Vote for Malakali or Lushros Dofine - the Greatest Hits to ever hit the stores - every Target and Wal-Mart got tons of them!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
RS (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Saga_Legends_Fans_Choice_Showdown_The_Final_4_1014 68.asp) has the final four:
Bonus Pit Droids 2-pack
Imperial Officers
Sandtrooper Sergeant
Darktrooper

I have to say, I am overall pretty pleased. I'm just excited that we American folk can finally get the damn pit droids! While I would've preferred TC-14 over the Officers, I'm still missing one of the variants, so it's okay, I guess. After looking at the Sandtrooper again I guess I don't hate it that much . . . the other version is miles better but it's not too bad. I forgot that the Darktrooper was also in Battlefront II, but I still don't think I'll get any more of him.

They wrote something interesting on the page:

While 4 figures have already been selected from Phase 1 voting (to be revealed soon), these additional 4 figures are a lock to be rereleased as part of the Saga Legends Fan's Choice subline:
And then they mention the four I already listed. But, it says that there are four more coming from the voting . . . I wonder who? I kind of assumed that there would be more from the voting, since this subline is running the entire year and they were bound to include some from the voting.

Jargo
11-20-2006, 05:36 PM
in other words they were already making four that happened to have been included in the voting. so the voting had no bearing on those four as they're slotted in to line-up at hasbro HQ already. before the voting took place.

looking how the darktrooper is raking in the votes I'd say it's fair to assume the pile of pants will win.

JediTricks
11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
RS (http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Saga_Legends_Fans_Choice_Showdown_The_Final_4_1014 68.asp) has the final four:
Bonus Pit Droids 2-pack
Imperial Officers
Sandtrooper Sergeant
DarktrooperAwful awful awful! If you thought the Greatest Hits line was bombing this year, just wait till there's nothing but pit droids everywhere and white-pauldron Sandtroopers that look like they've been dunked in the Dewback waste station. And midgety Darktroopers, I'm sure those are gonna be a real barnstormer. :rolleyes:

I forgot that the Darktrooper was also in Battlefront II, but I still don't think I'll get any more of him.That Darktrooper is pretty different from the figure though.

Blackthorpe
11-21-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I am not voting for any of those figures, and I'm not likely to buy any of them either. Still, if people are excited for a bunch of pit droids, go for it, I'm not interested.

jedi master sal
11-21-2006, 03:18 PM
I'll get a set of Pit droids.

I like the Imp officers, but they need to have retooled elbows (ball instead of cut joints), as well as knee joints.

I'm kinda MEH on the howl Sandtrooper thing. I'll get a couple of him and clean them up a bit for variety in sand "damage."

I'm not at all excited about the Darktrooper. I've got one of him and that really was enough for me. Yes, and this coming from an extreme army builder. I know I'll get one more of him, but that's it.

So overall this whole thing was a bust for me.

If it truly was about the actual BEST figures, then the likes of FX-7 should have been way up here, for instance.

Jargo
11-21-2006, 04:26 PM
well people vote for what they want not what's best. not really surprising the voting went this way.

Tycho
11-21-2006, 06:16 PM
If it truly was about the actual BEST figures, then the likes of FX-7 should have been way up here, for instance.

It wasn't about the best figures.

I think the overall voting majority picked what figures they needed to army build with or otherwise fill out their collection with.

It's a matter of opinion, but Ephant Mon is the best SW figure. Still, even if you had to pay $20 or $30 for him on eBay, that'd be it.

If you had $30 and he was easily available, shipping again to retail, for $6 a figure, you wouldn't need to buy 5 of him. (I'm not saying anyone should pay $30 for a figure, but he is over 4 years old now and otherwise less likely to show up cheaply ever again. But if you do still need to spend to get him, see if you'll want him in 4 more years. If per chance he'll ever be re-issued in a battlepack or whatever, give it more time. In 4 more years (in other words, after 8 since his release), he'll probably still be around $30 and you can pick him up then when you have less Star Wars you're after.