PDA

View Full Version : Yet ANOTHER DVD boxed set?

JON9000
10-08-2006, 12:42 PM
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_30th_Anniversary_DVD_Set_Confirmation_10 0566.asp

A boxed set containing all six films is up for the 30th Anniversary. Anybody willing to bet they'll make serious adjustments to the audio on ANH to convince everybody to plunk down their hard-earned dollars again? Anybody care to speculate whether Lucasfilm flubbed audio the '04 release on purpose?

Star Wars makes a wonderful ATM. I should take a look at the new USC film school when it is complete. The house that my moronic addiction built...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-08-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/Star_Wars_30th_Anniversary_DVD_Set_Confirmation_10 0566.asp

A boxed set containing all six films is up for the 30th Anniversary. Anybody willing to bet they'll make serious adjustments to the audio on ANH to convince everybody to plunk down their hard-earned dollars again? Anybody care to speculate whether Lucasfilm flubbed audio the '04 release on purpose?

Star Wars makes a wonderful ATM. I should take a look at the new USC film school when it is complete. The house that my moronic addiction built...

crap on a cracker. I'll buy this set if and ONLY if they polish up the vintage films. Not add anything to them mind you, but just polish them up to better quality. and yeah, i think we should all have our names on a plaque somewhere at USC because that is the building that we dorks built.

General_Grievous
10-08-2006, 01:38 PM
If they include some OT deleted scenes, I'll buy it. TPM will probably have the digital Yoda, too.

Kidhuman
10-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Only if they add the Qui-Gon Scene at he end of ROTS.

El Chuxter
10-08-2006, 02:38 PM
At one point or another, we've gotten confirmation of digital Yoda in TPM, and a re-scored ANH (by John Williams, incorporating themes not written in 1977).

Personally, I'd like to get the theatrical cut of TPM on DVD.

JON9000
10-08-2006, 04:45 PM
At one point or another, we've gotten confirmation of digital Yoda in TPM, and a re-scored ANH (by John Williams, incorporating themes not written in 1977).

Personally, I'd like to get the theatrical cut of TPM on DVD.

I really have no use for a new score. I like the original score just fine. I expect the only thing they would want to do is get the Imperial March thrown in somewhere, perhaps the Tantive IV raid.

The score for "Star Wars" won most memorable score of all time from AFI. I cannot imagine tampering with it.

2-1B
10-08-2006, 04:45 PM
A) It says nothing specific about anything beyond a re-release.
B) It's hilarious that people complain about spending money on all this stuff...yet still spend it anyway. Stop buying all this sh** and you won't have to worry about "addiction" anymore.
lol lol lol
C) That would be cool if they spruce up the digital Yoda for TPM.

bobafrett
10-08-2006, 06:01 PM
I think I have enough movies on VHS and DVD to say, yes Mr. Lucas, here is some more of y hard earned money, please take it from me because you have made me an addict.

(By the way, the Mike Douglas show is in there because it has interviews with Harrison, Hamill and Fisher. I got it from a friend of mine for Christmas)

2-1B
10-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Um, Frett, why do you have Full and Wide screen copies of AOTC ? :D

JON9000
10-08-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm not addicted, I can quit anytime I want!!!

(Just give me a IV with awesome audio)! :yes:

I think I really won't get anything else until the HD versions... but I count that as different. Sorta like the leap from VHS to DVD.

bobafrett
10-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Um, Frett, why do you have Full and Wide screen copies of AOTC ? :D

I am bobafrett, and I'm a Star Wars addict.

I honestly don't know, I think I had intended to buy both versions for each movie, but then I realized why when the first two films were just so so. Or maybe I found one on sale.

Jargo
10-08-2006, 08:22 PM
There's so much i'd like to see changed in the OT besides music and audio. Things that have niggled me for years.
I'm not swayed into buying multiple versions of the movies for every tiny alteration. I bought the first DVD box set and I'll wait for definitive versions before buying again.

The only thing that would really really tempt me though is a set of disks with all the trims and deleted scenes and alternate takes that would allow me the viewer to pick and choose and mix and match bits to get my own definitive version of the movie. and having the musical score on a separate track so i could switch it off if i wanted and just watch the movie with sound effects and dialogue. it's a nice score but too intrusive for my tastes. at the very least having a separate volume control on the music would be better.

JediTricks
10-08-2006, 08:36 PM
All I want for the Original OT is a decent Anamorphic Transfer and the highest-quality audio transfer they can muster - I guess Dolby 5.1. This is not asking them to spruce up the OT in any way, just capture and present it in the best possible quality available, why is that asking too much?

JON9000
10-08-2006, 10:24 PM
All I want for the Original OT is a decent Anamorphic Transfer and the highest-quality audio transfer they can muster - I guess Dolby 5.1. This is not asking them to spruce up the OT in any way, just capture and present it in the best possible quality available, why is that asking too much?

But then why would you buy anymore after that? :twisted:

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 12:00 AM
But then why would you buy anymore after that? :twisted:
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-09-2006, 01:37 PM
The link's not working for me . . . but this is a "wait-and-see" thing. I KNEW they were going to do this, especially since the current DVDs are "limited edition only."

As others have said, I'd like to see a digital Yoda in TPM. I'd also like to see them fix up some of the mistake changes that they made, such as Luke's green saber in ANH and the sound effect of it turning off in ESB after he fights the Wampa (even though it's still on).

As far as ANH's audio track, I'd like for them to clean it up a lot to match with the others. However, since it's so old and bad even for the time I don't know if they can.

Bobby Fett
10-09-2006, 02:23 PM

Are you talking to me? ;)

El Chuxter
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM

Slicker's mom.

tagmac
10-09-2006, 11:35 PM
The only thing that would convince me to buy these is if we got all the deleted/extended scenes from the OT (especially Biggs & the Sandstorm), as well as more deleted an extended scenes for the prequels (more Darth Maul in TPM; an extended Kashyyk sequence with the Wookiees battling the Clones would be nice).

JimJamBonds
10-10-2006, 01:00 AM
I don't think anybody should be suprised if a "Saga Collection" comes out... I mean I said this would be happening way back when TPM came out.

pbarnard
10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I don't think anybody should be suprised if a "Saga Collection" comes out... I mean I said this would be happening way back when TPM came out.

The husband of another grad student that I collaborate with on research has been saying this and he doesn't follow star wars at all. He only wants to pay for stuff once for his future kids because he feels the movies are safe for all ages.

I think we all had suspicions that Lucas would do a complete Saga, I think he caved too soon with respect to releasing TPM and the OT out on DVD and should've waited for the SAGA or done the SAGA first, and than go willy nilly with all the special variants.

scruffziller
10-10-2006, 10:39 AM

Anybody care to speculate whether Lucasfilm flubbed audio the '04 release on purpose?

I wondered why the sound seemed to suck on my brother's kick ***** system. I just thought his center channel needed an upgrade.:upset:

JON9000
10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
I wondered why the sound seemed to suck on my brother's kick ***** system. I just thought his center channel needed an upgrade.:upset:

The only one that is really odious to me is ANH. The other two do fairly nicely. All things being equal, the sound isn't going to be as good on the OT as the PT simply because recording and playback techniques took a quantum leap between 77 and 05. My problem is that the ANH mix drops the music out in certain areas where it used to flourish in an attempt to (I assume) emphasize the sound effects. The horn flourish as the fighters begin the attack on the Death Star is the prime example.

DarkArtist
10-11-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm just surprised that people are shocked to hearing that Lucas is trying to milk the fans out of more money. I mean c'mon how many times are we going to hear "the Star Wars Trilogy one last time........" I mean it's funny when you think about it but it's almost like Disney movies.... buy them now before they go into the vault.

I'm still miffed that back in '97 with the special editions that Lucas and McCullum both said that the originals were so destroyed that the they had to do the special editions, now all of a sudden we can re-release the originals one more time. Please, Lucas is no fool he knows full well that fans will buy the movies everytime he releases them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm just surprised that people are shocked to hearing that Lucas is trying to milk the fans out of more money. I mean c'mon how many times are we going to hear "the Star Wars Trilogy one last time........" I mean it's funny when you think about it but it's almost like Disney movies.... buy them now before they go into the vault.

The only time they ever said that was in 1995 when they released the original versions on VHS the last time. However . . . in that instance I believe that Lucas didn't think the fans would react the way they did to the Special Editions. He also wrote off DVD until 2001, so it's likely that they really did intend for that to be the last time, thinking that VHS would be around longer than it was.

Now as far as saying that he wouldn't release the originals, who can say if that was his real intention or not? Obviously he likes the new ones better.

As far as "destroying" the old copies, I don't know whether or not they did. The new original DVDs are from the Laserdisc transfers, so they didn't just take the "original copies" and put them on DVD or whatever.

sith_killer_99
10-11-2006, 06:10 PM
As far as "destroying" the old copies, I don't know whether or not they did. The new original DVDs are from the Laserdisc transfers, so they didn't just take the "original copies" and put them on DVD or whatever.

What?

Are you smokin' something?

I'm still miffed that back in '97 with the special editions that Lucas and McCullum both said that the originals were so destroyed that the they had to do the special editions, now all of a sudden we can re-release the originals one more time.

Lucas farmed out the restoration to another company. They broke the old film out of the freezer and went frame by frame removing, in some sections, hundreds of defects from each frame. The DVD's are much cleaner than the old VHS versions....including the SE versions. I don't thing GL realized that the level of restoration achieved for the DVD's would ever be possible when he said how badly the film had deteriorated. Now it is captured, frame by frame, on a computer for all time!!!:D

BTW, if you guys are fruastrated with all these DVD releases (re-releases and re-re-releases) just remember there is a new format coming out.....

HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray:D

JON9000
10-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Okay, who wants to bet that if both formats are still out there when SW gets released in hi-def there will be different special features on each? ;)

JEDIpartner
10-16-2006, 02:42 PM
I'll only repurchase these if the blu-ray versions contain enough additional materials to justify that purchase!!!

sith_killer_99
10-16-2006, 04:02 PM
I'll only repurchase these if the blu-ray versions contain enough additional materials to justify that purchase!!!

LOL, point, set and match!

George Lucas wins another $100.00 from JEDIpartner!lol

The rumor is the, blu-ray versions will come with the Holiday Special!:eek: