PDA

View Full Version : Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Tycho
10-09-2006, 03:46 AM
Man I love the swimming pool scene! Phoebe Cates is the best!

Jennifer Jason Leigh is pretty fine in her parts, too. Aren't high school fantasies wonderful?

The movie had many stars' debuts including Nicholas Cage whom I forgot to spot. Forrest Whitaker is obvious. Sean Penn and Judge Rhinehold are also pretty apparent.

I don't know what else Mr. Hand appeared in, but didn't everyone have at one point, some teacher like him during their primary education period?

I think the movie tops The Breakfast Club and gets a little better with its 80's soundtrack, but nothing had me laughing into stitches like Summer School.

Slicker
10-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Fast Times is friggin' hilarious. I could watch that movie over and over.

And Phoebe Cates is hot.:yes:

scruffziller
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Yup this is a great movie. And wasn't this really one of the first of its kind to kick off the whole 80s teen movie? I went to school with a kid who acted just like Spicholi.:D

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
The movie had many stars' debuts including Nicholas Cage whom I forgot to spot. Forrest Whitaker is obvious.I think he's in the first scene with Forrest Whitaker, he's the pal of Judge Reinhold hanging out in the parking lot at the beginning of the movie.

The movie also boasted Eric Stoltz and Anthony "ER" Edwards as Spicolli's stoner pals.

I don't know what else Mr. Hand appeared in, but didn't everyone have at one point, some teacher like him during their primary education period?Mr Hand was beloved character actor Ray Walston of "My Favorite Martian", the 1980 Popeye movie, and tons of other works. I never had a teacher that much of a jerk.

I think the movie tops The Breakfast Club and gets a little better with its 80's soundtrack, but nothing had me laughing into stitches like Summer School.I grew up in the area they were talking about in Fast Times, I was around 7 at the time but I knew all those types of characters and locales, Amy Heckerling did a good job directing it giving it an authentic feel, the movie has an interesting narrative and is fun but is not the top of the genre IMO.

Rocketboy
10-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Fast Times is a such great movie, even morseo when compared to most other 80's teen high school movies.
And it has what is one of the greatest scenes (already mentioned) in movie history.

I think he's in the first scene with Forrest Whitaker, he's the pal of Judge Reinhold hanging out in the parking lot at the beginning of the movie.Not sure about that one (I'm not saying he isn't though), but he is in the background of the fast food joint where Reinhold works.

JediTricks
10-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I know he's in the opening scenes with Brad talking about his car and how great this new year will be.

Turbowars
10-09-2006, 10:47 PM
One of the BEST films ever! I went to the high school where some of the shoots were filmed and sadly the mall it took place in is gone and rebuilt in Sherman Oaks CA. Here's a funny little story. When I was a kid, I thought Brad was wiping his butt in the bathroom scene and it took awhile before I saw Cates goods.

2-1B
10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I'm as guilty as Judge Reinhold...

Turbowars
10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh please we don't need to read that, LOL.lol

2-1B
10-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Hey, I'm not the only fan of Phoebe Cates here...just the only one who will admit to being a fan. ;)

Kevin Kline is a lucky guy. :love:

Darth Jax
10-09-2006, 11:25 PM
that one scene makes an otherwise average film into a great film.

El Chuxter
10-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Actually, that one scene makes an otherwise forgettable film into an average film. Oh, and Spicoli rocks, regardless of how much the rest of the movie doesn't.

Sorry, this one never floated my boat. Ferris Bueller kicks it out of the ballpark, realistic or no.

Turbowars
10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
What? I can't believe you just said that!:cross-eye

scruffziller
10-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Sorry, this one never floated my boat. Ferris Bueller kicks it out of the ballpark, realistic or no.

I'll agree on that. But Fast Times is still great on its own merits.

"When Cameron was in Egypt's Land......Let my Cameron go......." :D