PDA

View Full Version : Its almost here......

Rebo's_Guitarist
10-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Yep, it was snowing on the way to work this morning......cant wait for all the people who forget how to drive as soon as they see snow...:rolleyes:

Jargo
10-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I dream of snow. never get it here. not real snow. just a dusting that freezes or melts before it gets chance to settle. :(

CaptainSolo1138
10-11-2006, 11:26 AM
We have our first snow predicted for tomorrow and/or Friday. Where I'm at is in the "heavy" range, which is only up to a half inch. In no time we'll see seven or eight inches at a time (Insert "Slicker's mom" joke here).

Kidhuman
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I hate snow.

&Isobars

Rogue II
10-11-2006, 11:36 AM
I miss snow. Believe it or not, the past two years here in Las Vegas, we had a light dusting of snow during the week between Christmas and New Years. People freak out when it rains, so when it "snowed", there was mass hysteria. I really need to get out of here.

mabudonicus
10-11-2006, 11:47 AM
R2- you know what I'm looking at up here, we are set for light flurries supposedly in the next couple of nights, and a foot or more of snow is not much of a surprise really... and even tho we usually have snow 4-5 months of a year, folks forget how to handle it everytime, as RG mentioned...
Personally, I really like hitting out on my bicycle after a real hard "first snow", before the plows get to it, it's real fun and when ya wipe out, you don't get hurt- unless there's stuff like concrete blocks and furniture hidden under it courtesy of Lanny

Oh and KH, that post actually made sense, weird :beard:&Isobars&

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
People driving in the snow....oh man, you hit a nerve here. I live in Ohio (orignially from Chicago) but I didn't get my license until well into my Ohio duration. But I do KNOW HOW TO DRIVE in snow and snow conditions. There just seem to be so many Ohio drivers that can't drive in snow to save their life. And you ask them, "oh, can't drive in snow, huh? How long have you lived in Ohio? a few months?" and they reply, usually with, "oh, about fifteen years" or "My whole life." jesus! Learn how to drive in snow, assmonkeys! it's not hard.

and I especially love it when snow is in the forecast and people flock to the grocery store as if they're worried that four inches of snow will cause them to be snowed in and make them resort to cannabalism. People. :upset:

Rogue II
10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Mabs, you know how flat the town I was born in is. We had to either build a hill after the snowplow piled up the snow or get our parents to take us to the thruway ramp and slide down the side. My cousins actually made an ice rink in their back yard during the winter. Out here it is 73F right now, so my kids can finally go out and play without being BBQed.

Las Vegas gets about 4 or 5 inches of rain per year. When it does rain, areas start to flood and all the oils in the roads come to the surface...add in the crazy number of tourists(roughly 36 million per year) on unfamiliar roads, and you got yourself a city wide mosh pit.

mabudonicus
10-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I've heard that in Greece the same thing happens when it rains, people go flying off cliffs in their cars and stuff cos the low frequency of the rainfalls there makes it especially slippery when it does decide to come down, sounds like a delightful situation altogether.. And I can imagine your problems finding a decent hill- there're a few around here if you have parents that will drive you, but when I was little the only "hills" we could actually get to regularly were ALL a)crappy, 15 or 20 degree slopes b) situated so they emptied out on a busy damn road or c) situated so you'd end up sinking in a sewage creek of some sort, which coupled with the total suck-factor of the "hills" themselves made our long winters pretty dull to be sure :beard:&Isobars

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-11-2006, 04:58 PM
First off, Rebo's Guitarist - nice sig, but the actual quote is, "There is no dark side of the moon. Matter of fact, it's all dark." Or something more like that.

Anyway . . . when it snows during school all the kids feel obliged to jump out of their seats in the middle of class and crowd around the window. It's snow, for God's sake, you've seen it a million times before. Sit the hell back down.

Slicker
10-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I friggin' love the snow. I hate living in Virginia Beach because it doesn't snow more than an inch and that's all in one sitting and it's done. It's nice when I go up to Michigan for Christmas though. Tons of snow.

Rebo's_Guitarist
10-11-2006, 06:15 PM
People driving in the snow....oh man, you hit a nerve here. I live in Ohio (orignially from Chicago) but I didn't get my license until well into my Ohio duration. But I do KNOW HOW TO DRIVE in snow and snow conditions. There just seem to be so many Ohio drivers that can't drive in snow to save their life. And you ask them, "oh, can't drive in snow, huh? How long have you lived in Ohio? a few months?" and they reply, usually with, "oh, about fifteen years" or "My whole life." jesus! Learn how to drive in snow, assmonkeys! it's not hard.

Yeah, it was barely blowing today and the old folks were only going 25 - 30 in a 55.......

Hey Mr JabbaJ, ever read Inside Out? If not definitely check it out.

General_Grievous
10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm fine driving in the snow. It's getting the snow off the car that's a pain in my @$$.

Jargo
10-11-2006, 07:05 PM
we'll probably just end up with rain and howling wnds as those hurricanes you get over there eventually wind up here. a bit dog eared and somewhat less agressive. Already seen some trees downed by mighty winds. although there are some poplar trees in my street and one is growing out at an angle of about 45 degrees and must be about a hundred feet tall. that sucker just refuses to fall in the high winds and i really want it to so it flattens the morons in the bungalow opposite it. And iknow that sounds cruel and callous but really, they're morons, they deserve to be flattened. the street is like three feet wide and the douchebag parks a massive rig outside his house. They've got a kid who looks the spitting image of one of those freaky ventriloquist's dummies. ugh, remnants of some long forgotten mutant gene pool.

Snow! I want some. I want to build a massive snow ... noooo i can't say that here. damn. :mad:

Blue2th
10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
People around here (Albuquerque) don't know how to drive period, let alone in the snow or rain. When it does snow, I make lots of money fixing fender-benders...Well painting them anyways. I can't tell you how many people I see on my way to work, who get rear-ended. Probably from someone yapping on their cell, and whoops, better slam on the brakes......Bang! It hasn't even snowed yet. :ninja:

Rogue II
10-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I grew up in Buffalo, NY and the DC area, I was used to snow being wet and heavy. One morning during my first winter in Colorado, there was 6-8 inches of snow on my windshield. Knowing how heavy that much snow would be, I took the big swing with my arm. Little did I know that snow in Colorado isn't the same as the snow in the north east. The swing met little resistance in the powder, and I spun around on the ice and nearly landed on my butt. Half of the powder snow on my windshield ended up covering me from head to toe. And that is how I discoveedr the true meaning of powder snow.

Kidhuman
10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Its not that I hate the snow, I hate what comes afterwards, driving in it, icing on the roads, idiots who cant drive. I would rather do with out it overall.

Blue2th
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
I grew up in Buffalo, NY and the DC area, I was used to snow being wet and heavy. One morning during my first winter in Colorado, there was 6-8 inches of snow on my windshield. Knowing how heavy that much snow would be, I took the big swing with my arm. Little did I know that snow in Colorado isn't the same as the snow in the north east. The swing met little resistance in the powder, and I spun around on the ice and nearly landed on my butt. Half of the powder snow on my windshield ended up covering me from head to toe. And that is how I discoveedr the true meaning of powder snow.
And it sure is fun to ski on too! You don't get all wet except in late sping. By then there's skiers in shorts and bikini tops.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-11-2006, 10:48 PM
(Insert "Slicker's mom" joke here).

I would, but I don't have mod authority in this forum and can't edit your post. Ask JT.

2-1B
10-11-2006, 10:56 PM
SNOWSHOES!

JimJamBonds
10-11-2006, 11:18 PM
SNOWSHOES!

Thanks for the reminder, I'll put them in the car before I leave in the morning.

Rogue II
10-11-2006, 11:44 PM
And it sure is fun to ski on too! You don't get all wet except in late sping. By then there's skiers in shorts and bikini tops.:thumbsup:

No kidding. I learned to ski in PA, which was more like a sheet of ice than snow.

Slicker
10-12-2006, 08:21 AM
Everyone thinks it weird that I don't know how to ski yet I lived in Michigan for 22 years. Whatever.

CaptainSolo1138
10-12-2006, 12:05 PM
We got our first snow today! It was only about a quarter inch (and is probably gone by now) but it came down really good for about a half hour. I like snow until Janurary 2nd. Once all the holidays are over it can go away.

2-1B
10-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Everyone thinks it weird that I don't know how to ski yet I lived in Michigan for 22 years. Whatever.

You know what I say to that ? F*** skiing, what a foolish endeavor.

Blue2th
10-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Well, are there even mountains in Michigan? .......Skiing is old school, now all the kids snowboard. Which I haven't tried yet. Hey you can always Water-ski. That's fun. Just don't lean too far back, or you'll get water up your nose...alot of it. Like I did first try.

CaptainSolo1138
10-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Well, are there even mountains in Michigan?There's tons of them. Most of them are man-made, but a few of the most popular ones (Boyne, Apple Mountain) are natural.

JimJamBonds
10-12-2006, 11:34 PM
There's tons of them. Most of them are man-made, but a few of the most popular ones (Boyne, Apple Mountain) are natural.

Don't forget the mountains up dare hey in the UP.

CaptainSolo1138
10-13-2006, 07:08 AM
That's true. We exclude the UP from everything.

Slicker
10-13-2006, 07:31 AM
The UP is more Canadian than Canada.

CaptainSolo1138
10-13-2006, 08:24 AM
In all seriousness, it is very Canadian up there. Once you get out of the tourist traps on the other side of the bridge, it's like Canada junior.

JimJamBonds
10-13-2006, 11:36 AM
The UP is more Canadian than Canada.

In all seriousness, it is very Canadian up there. Once you get out of the tourist traps on the other side of the bridge, it's like Canada junior.

I know! I've been there, its "interesting country" for sure. :D

mabudonicus
10-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, Rogue 2 will be happy to know that Buffalo is officially shut down. 2 towns on our side of the border, Port Colborne and Fort Erie are officially "emergency zones" and the latter could be facing 3-5 days with no electricity- tho both these towns are within 40 minutes drive from us, we are okay here on the south shore of Lake Ontario, but the weather still sucks rocks :beard: Isobars&

Rogue II
10-13-2006, 04:07 PM
I saw that on Yahoo news this morning. I'm going have to make a call to check on the family. I'm pretty sure my uncle and grandfather have a generator. The weather there can be kind of wierd. One year, Buffalo got hammered by a blizzard bad enough where they actualy postponed the Sabres game, but North Tonawanda only got a couple inches.

mabudonicus
10-13-2006, 05:23 PM
No joke, a couple years ago the north end of the city was under emergency status, and the south was untouched- sounds like a goofy joke but it really went down like that :DIsobars&

Blue2th
10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I,ve visited or lived in each corner State in the U.S. and lots in between, but have never been to the Great Lakes area, or "the big lake they call Gichi-Gumy". I need to take a vacation there one of these days, but not in the winter anytime soon.

CaptainSolo1138
10-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Let Rocketboy and I know when you get here, Blue2th. We'll be more than happy to show you the strip clu......around.:D

2-1B
10-13-2006, 10:35 PM
caps ware iz ? kanaduh