PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas on The Colbert Report

2-1B
10-11-2006, 11:54 PM
Good stuff ! GLu seemed to pander to stillakid and seanmcfripp by ribbing TPM a little bit. :grin: And how about Jar Jar getting twice as much dialogue on The Colbert Report as he did in AOTC and ROTS COMBINED ? lol lol lol

stillakid
10-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Yeah, cuz if GL is known for anything, it's for giving fans like me what I want. :rolleyes:

:D

I got into Baltimore late last night, so I missed The Daily Show and caught the tail end of Colbert by the time I got to the hotel. Maybe someone has YouTubed it?

JediTricks
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
That was an awesome Colbert Report! Lucas is such a wooden actor! :D

Stilla, it's on again today a few times, in the PST it's 2:30pm and 8:30pm. You should probably not read further until you see it.

Sounded like they got Ahmed Best to really voice Jar Jar's lines in that one, and George I suspect used a CG Colbert for one of the battle scenes. And then the winner's entry wasn't even Star Wars!!! I bet it only won because it has Jesus in it. :p Lucas has a few times lately come out and said he realizes now why TPM isn't that good and why he shouldn't have just tried to have a good time with it but should have strived for better.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I saw this when it was on last week, I thought it was great. :D I loved the video he/ILM did, it looked like they cleaned up the footage of Stephen a lot and it looked seamless with the actual movie footage. The new Jar Jar stuff was good too. :D

Lucas has a few times lately come out and said he realizes now why TPM isn't that good and why he shouldn't have just tried to have a good time with it but should have strived for better.
Where else? I'd like to see where he said it. While TPM is probably my least favorite SW film, I wouldn't want him to change it too drastically if he's now feeling dissatisfied with it.

2-1B
10-15-2006, 07:07 PM
That was an awesome Colbert Report! Lucas is such a wooden actor! :D

Agreed ! :D I thought that, too. He came across as very stiff.

Lucas has a few times lately come out and said he realizes now why TPM isn't that good and why he shouldn't have just tried to have a good time with it but should have strived for better.

I'm curious as well, like JabbaJohn I'm wondering where else he has said this...as for his Colbert Report stint I took at as him playing along with the broad negative view of TPM but I don't know how he REALLY feels about it. I think he was just being self-deprecating though and still probably defends it as being the movie he wanted to make, or whatever.

What other times are you thinking of? :)

The only thing I can think of is when he said he used a bunch of filler for TPM and some of AOTC, of course Thrawn took that and spun it as an admission that the prequels sucked when that was NOT what GLu was saying...anyway, I'm curious about these other times as I must have missed the interviews. :)

JediTricks
10-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Hmm, I am having a hard time tracking down the comment, the only close thing I can find is not exactly what I was going for, I may have even misinterpretted this:
IGN Filmforce (http://movies.ign.com/articles/726/726827p1.html)

Lucas also addressed the overwhelming anticipation that Indiana Jones IV has to live up to. "We're basically going to do The Phantom Menace. ... People's expectations are way higher than you can deliver. You could just get killed for the whole thing…We would do it for fun and just take the hit with the critics and the fans...But nobody wants to get into it unless they are really happy with it."

bigbarada
10-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Sounded like they got Ahmed Best to really voice Jar Jar's lines in that one,

That's pretty amazing, because we all know just how busy a man Ahmed Best is these days.;)

Has he worked at all since Ep2?

It's kind of strange that Lucas would "dis" Ep1 that way. I was just thinking that, of all the prequels, TPM is really my favorite. It's the only one that really feels like a Star Wars movie to me.

I guess after 7 years, I'm just starting to get a little nostalgic for the summer of 1999.

JimJamBonds
10-27-2006, 12:01 AM
That's pretty amazing, because we all know just how busy a man Ahmed Best is these days.;)

Has he worked at all since Ep2?

Yes... Ep 3.

JediTricks
10-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Mumbling "excuse me" is not work! :p

bigbarada
10-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Mumbling "excuse me" is not work! :p

Hey! He rehearsed for three years to find the perfect delivery of that line! Don't knock it! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-27-2006, 06:17 PM
I think what that quote was referring to was that, after a long wait between movies, everyone's expectations were/are huge and nearly impossible to fulfill, which happened with TPM and will definitely happen with Indy 4.

Entertainment Weekly said that Lucas said that Indy 4 would be like TPM, which they must've taken from that quote and got it the wrong way.

Ooh, JT was wrong for once. :D Oh, and it's "misinterpreted," not "misinterpretted." :p

One more thing . . . isn't Jar Jar's line in ROTS just recycled from the dinner scene in TPM? I mean, is it the same sound byte? I thought it was. I know he was on-set in the costume, but maybe they decided to add the line in later (as his face is turned anyway, same deal for Orn Free Taa).

JimJamBonds
10-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I just checked out IMDB and A.B. does have an uncredited role from that episode of the Colbert Report.

JediTricks
10-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey! He rehearsed for three years to find the perfect delivery of that line! Don't knock it! :D
I'm sorry, but consider it knocked. :p

2-1B
10-29-2006, 10:59 AM
"Knock Knock Knockin' on Jar Jar's Line, Hey, Hey, HeyHeyHey."
-RZ / BB-

Jargo
10-31-2006, 08:46 PM
Ahmed filmed a whole scene for Ep3 and they cut it out. he had dialogue with Obi wan or Anakin but all that got left was a shot of JJ walking with a group of senators. A judicious edit there I think.

bigbarada
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Ahmed filmed a whole scene for Ep3 and they cut it out. he had dialogue with Obi wan or Anakin but all that got left was a shot of JJ walking with a group of senators. A judicious edit there I think.

I think in the initial draft, Jar Jar was on Mustafar with Obi-Wan and he trips and falls and knocks Anakin into the lava.

It's TRUE, I read it on SuperShadow. You know how accurate he always was. :stupid:

Sooooo, when's Jar Jar going to be hosting SNL?:D