PDA

View Full Version : The Nightmare Before Christmas

El Chuxter
10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
I just saw an ad on TV for a 3D re-release of this classic later this month. This is the first I've heard of it, and (if there's a theater close enough playing it) I'll definitely go to see this movie on the big screen again.

Yes, long before this movie was a cliched icon to every dumbarse kid with black eyeliner, it was a box office bomb that Disney refused to acknowledge even existed for almost a decade. And I was happy to be one of the twelve people in the US who saw it in the theater.

Forget the emo kids for a minute. This is one of those classics that simply does not get old. I've seen it at least once a year (sometimes more like six or seven times a year) every year since it first was released on VHS. I've listened to the beautiful Oscar-winning (in an ideal world, not in this one, sadly) score probably thousands of times.

Between the gorgeous stop-motion animation, the quirky Burton humor, the incredible music, and the simple yet sophisticated story of alienation and appreciating one's place in the world, it's almost impossible to find a flaw with TNMBC. If there is one, it's that it's a bit on the short side. Okay, also that the voice-over intro in the movie wasn't by Patrick Stewart (as on the CD), and the outro about Santa visiting Halloweentown years later wasn't filmed (if it was ever even intended to be).

I think as soon as I log out, I'm going to tell Mrs Chuxter to go into another room to watch her stupid CSI and pop this DVD in for yet another viewing.

"And since I am dead, I can take off my head
To recite Shakespearean quotations
No animal no man can SCREAM like I can
With the fury of my recitations!"

sith_killer_99
10-12-2006, 11:17 PM
And I was happy to be one of the twelve people in the US who saw it in the theater.

Well, my sister, my brother, my mom and I saw this in the theater and we really enjoyed it. So that's five out of twelve. I wonder who the other seven are. LOL

I would love to take my daughter to see it in 3-D!

2-1B
10-12-2006, 11:27 PM
How long ago did this come out? I still haven't seen it.

sith_killer_99
10-12-2006, 11:35 PM
:eek:

JediTricks
10-13-2006, 03:19 PM
It's going to be opening at the El Capitan here in Hollywood next Friday, probably not for very long though, and I don't believe they have a silver screen so it likely won't be 3D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I hate the fact that the damn emo kids have pounced all over this, but I've loved this film since I was 4 and watched it every day on VHS. I still watch it once a year and got the DVD a few years back.

Anyway, I sure as hell hope that it's released in my area, this would be so freakin' cool in 3-D.

General_Grievous
10-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Well, my sister, my brother, my mom and I saw this in the theater and we really enjoyed it. So that's five out of twelve. I wonder who the other seven are. LOL

I am one of the seven.:) I saw it when I was 5, and it's one of my favorite movies. The emo following is annoying, but I've gotten used to it. I'll see if I can catch this in 3D.

2-1B
10-13-2006, 08:16 PM
WTF is this emo business and why is that word so popular these days ?

El Chuxter
10-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Basically, it's the annoying kids who used to be called "goth." And emo music, as I understand it, is made by whiny bands who are filthy liars if they don't admit to constantly ripping off Radiohead and The Eels.

2-1B
10-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I don't like Radiohead, so I'm with you on the annoying part. lol lol lol

El Chuxter
10-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Okay, here's the seeming good new:

Disney will be releasing a 2-disc Special Edition soundtrack next week!

The bad news:

Well, read what's new at amazon.com (the link is apparently too long for this site to process). Four demos by Danny Elfman (one of which was released about 10 years ago on Music for a Darkened Theatre Volume II), and a bunch of covers by ****ty emo bands, Fiona Apple, and Marilyn Manson? Dude, WTF?

I nearly crapped myself when I saw there was an expanded soundtrack coming. But this isn't so much an expanded soundtrack (the actual soundtrack is the same as the one that's been available for over a decade, and it's still missing a few minutes of music from the film) as a soundtrack and a piece of crap tribute album thrown in the same packaging.

I like "Sally's Song," but the idea of Fiona Apple singing it (if you can call what she does "singing") makes my stomach churn.

JediTricks
10-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Link to the Amazon page (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IFRQHC)

Yeah, that link was giving me tons of trouble too, just that one, the other Amazon.com links I used earlier in your Comments/Suggestions thread were parsed but worked, this one didn't, finally I simplified the link to its barest essence, and then it parsed.

Anyway, the idea seems like a stinker to me as well, basically just trying to sucker folks who bought it the first time into buying it again.

bobafrett
10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
I saw this on opening day. My room mate was a huge Tim Burton Fan, as well as Danny Elfman, so we went and I loved every minute. I have it here on VHS and watch it from time to time. I'm also a fan of the animation as I did a brief little film on 8mm film in my youth with plasticine clay and relize just how hard it is to do just a small scene.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-17-2006, 05:08 PM
As far as emo kids are concerned, they aren't into Radiohead (that's more the indie/"hipster" thing). Some emo bands are, as listed on the Amazon page, Panic! at the Disco (the worst of them all), Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Heights and other crap like that.

It's lame that they had two different acts covering the same song. There's no way I'm getting this.

BTW, has anyone been to Disneyland for the NBX makeover of the Haunted Mansion? I went Christmas 2004 and it was awesome. They do it every year from Halloween to New Years (or something like that) and I like most of it more than the original ride.

The attached pic was a comic called "Finding Emo" that I did last year for the school paper. The headline was something like, "Find the emo kid before he cries or writes a whiny, annoying song. Hint: he's the one who thinks he's a lot cooler than he really is."

El Chuxter
10-17-2006, 05:10 PM
I didn't say emo kids listened to Radiohead. I said emo bands rip them off. :p

General_Grievous
10-17-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm interested to hear Manson's take on "This is Halloween"...iTunes, perhaps?

JediTricks
10-18-2006, 01:02 PM
BTW, has anyone been to Disneyland for the NBX makeover of the Haunted Mansion? I went Christmas 2004 and it was awesome. They do it every year from Halloween to New Years (or something like that) and I like most of it more than the original ride.I haven't been in a while, but I saw it the first and second year they did it, it was a spectacular redress of the ride. I was also glad they didn't keep it year-round though, the original ride is one of my favorites and leaving it that way would have made both less special.

BTW, emo and goth are not the same thing, goths can be niched as emo but it doesn't work the other way around.

figrin bran
10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
i disagree 100% with what Caesar said about Radiohead.

i've been to the NBX version of the Haunted Mansion and it's awesome! i actually wouldn't mind if it replaced the original ride :shocked: however, i still have reservations about the sparrow-ization of the POTC ride. (haven't been on it yet though)

El Chuxter
10-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Yah, the ride is pretty freakin' sweet.

Here's some cool news if you act fast: Best Buy has an exclusive version of the re-release soundtrack that has two bonus Elfman demos, so a total of six (five unreleased, one from the aforementioned MFADT2 compilation). "Making Christmas" is especially great, as it has almost twice as many lyrics (including the "cut scene" of Behemoth singing in a beautiful voice that was seen in storyboard form on the DVD). And "Oogie's Song" has Elfman singing Oogie's part in a voice that's a pretty dead-on ringer for Bonejangles from The Corpse Bride.

Better, this week, Circuit City has the CD advertised for $9.99. I tried to see if BB would match it, since their CD has "Best Buy Exclusive" all over it. Guess what? It worked! Not only that, but the cashier either made a mistake or was trying to be flirty (I honestly think she thought I was about ten years younger than I am) and gave it to me for $8.99! (Okay, it could be they beat competitor's prices by 10%, but according to their sign they only do that if you've already purchased the item. If it is their policy, just humor me, okay?)

Anyway, less than $10 after tax for five unreleased Elfman tracks. Not bad. I actually paid more for the first version of the soundtrack about ten or twelve years ago.

As for the other songs, they're pretty forgettable. Only Fiona Apple's take on "Sally's Song" would be worth listening to again. It's a billion times better than "Criminal," but I think it's because she's working with lyrical gold here (that's always been my favorite song from the flick). Marilyn Manson's is predictably "ooooh, I'm trying to be scary, but I'm just a stupid talentless dork in makeup," and there's only one other track that's even worth mentioning enough to call it bad ("Kidnap the Sandy Claws" by some techno-sounding crack addicts calling themselves "She Wants Revenge").

The short: if you don't have the soundtrack, try to get Best Buy to match Circuit City's ad, enjoy the score and the songs by Elfman, and just ignore the rest.

figrin bran
11-01-2006, 02:02 AM
As for the other songs, they're pretty forgettable. Only Fiona Apple's take on "Sally's Song" would be worth listening to again. It's a billion times better than "Criminal," but I think it's because she's working with lyrical gold here (that's always been my favorite song from the flick). Marilyn Manson's is predictably "ooooh, I'm trying to be scary, but I'm just a stupid talentless dork in makeup," and there's only one other track that's even worth mentioning enough to call it bad ("Kidnap the Sandy Claws" by some techno-sounding crack addicts calling themselves "She Wants Revenge").

she wants my chemical revenge is total carp. thanks for the warning ;)

General_Grievous
11-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Has anyone seen it in 3D? I caught a showing last week. It wasn't the old-fashioned type of 3D that pops out at you, but the newer kind (just like Superman Returns was in IMAX). It was still pretty neat. I hope a two disc DVD will be released after this.

El Chuxter
08-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Anyone know what the deal is with the quadruple-dip :rolleyes: DVD coming out tomorrow?

The only new content I can find verification of is the digital copy, which is absolutely worthless. But there don't seem to be very many specs anywhere. Anyone know what's on it, and if it's worth buying it again?

(I did find something funny on the Wikipedia page: Someone wrote it was a commercial success! Maybe in the decade and a half since it came out!)

General_Grievous
08-26-2008, 02:38 PM
I think the only new features are a tour of the Jack Skellington ride at Disney World and Christopher Lee narrating the original "Nightmare Before Christmas" story. Not worth a double dip for me.

Rocketboy
08-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Not worth a double dip for me.Not worth a single dip.

Beast
08-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I think the only new features are a tour of the Jack Skellington ride at Disney World and Christopher Lee narrating the original "Nightmare Before Christmas" story. Not worth a double dip for me.
The audio commentary and a few other things are new.

I don't currently own the film so I'll be picking up the Blu-Ray.