View Full Version : Compare Your Cell Phone Plans

Tycho
10-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Let's make this easy and use this format:

Provider: Verizon

Plan Name: America's Choice II

Plan Cost: $39.99 (+ $5.99/mo for cell optional cell phone insurance) = $45.98

Regular Anytime Minutes Allowed: 450 minutes

Locale for Anytime Minutes: Anywhere in the United States, no roaming charges either

Price after Anytime Minutes: $0.45 / minute

Night and Weekend Rates: Free

Night rate start time: 7pm - 7am, 7 am Monday-Friday @7pm

In-Calling - (to others with Verizon): Free anytime

Average Bill: $48.95 after taxes, surcharges, fees added

Typical minutes used: 300 of my 450 daytime allowance
136 minutes of my evening or weekend minutes
224 minutes for my unlimited in-calling

Total Minutes on the Phone: 660 minutes

I have a home landline, but I'll use my cell for long-distance calls, mostly after 7pm or on weekends. I can call East Coast or Midwest friends before 7am my time if I'm up, because it's a more decent hour for them 9-10am depending upon their location.

I don't see any reason to give the phone companies more money than $50 a month or so. They could run their network for probably $5-10 a person if they wanted to.

CaptainSolo1138
10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Mine is red and takes pictures.

2-1B
10-19-2006, 09:58 PM
I just open the window, lean out, and yell
"Hey Yo Paulie!"

pbarnard
10-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Exact same as Tycho...but no home phone.

Kidhuman
10-19-2006, 11:08 PM
I dont own a cell phone and damn glad I dont.

Blue2th
10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Qwest, $31.99. Being able to stretch the long curly cord to the kitchen from the living room, priceless.

2-1B
10-19-2006, 11:17 PM
I pay $99 per month but I get to take if everywhere so it's worth it for the convenience. Plus it doesn't have a cord, so that's awesome:

kool-aid killer
10-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I now dub Caesar, Zach Morris.

Tycho
10-20-2006, 12:11 AM
Qwest, $31.99. Being able to stretch the long curly cord to the kitchen from the living room, priceless.

What is Qwest? Is it like Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, or something?

What do you get for $31.99? Minutes, etc.? - see the guide I made to filling out the survey above.

Caesar, the same question, but for $99 / month, what do you get?

We're hopefully going to determine some of the best cell phone plans with this thread, because I'm sick of all the kiosks in malls with people that yell out at you when you pass bye - and the advertising on TV, etc.

JimJamBonds
10-20-2006, 12:54 AM
I pay $99 per month but I get to take if everywhere so it's worth it for the convenience. Plus it doesn't have a cord, so that's awesome:

Hey you ripped that off from Jorge Kluney!:D

figrin bran
10-20-2006, 02:25 AM
what KH said.

i answer the phone all day long at work and i'll be darned if i spend any of my free time lugging one around.

2-1B
10-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Caesar, the same question, but for $99 / month, what do you get?

I get the kick-arse phone that I am holding in the pic. :)

Kidhuman
10-20-2006, 07:00 AM
what KH said.

i answer the phone all day long at work and i'll be darned if i spend any of my free time lugging one around.

I do the same for work, answering phones and what kills me is that when people put down there headsets, they strap their freakin blue tooth to their heads. Give it a break already. I hate talking on the phone now.

Blue2th
10-20-2006, 09:06 AM
What is Qwest? Is it like Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, or something?

What do you get for $31.99? Minutes, etc.? - see the guide I made to filling out the survey above.
I'm just being tricksy Tycho. Qwest is the only phone co. to not give over all it's info to Homeland Security. I have a land line, and a phone with an actual cord. My wireless land line phone broke. Funny I have this expensive Apple computer and pay a massive Comcast cable/ internet fee of $121.00 per month (ouch) but no cell phone yet. Qwest offers a "bundle" which has DSL, Direct TV Satellite, and Cell phone service ( I think it's Verizon) So I am looking into that. It's hard to beat the speed of Comcast internet with DSL, so other options are on the table, and I may not get a bundle. But I need a Cell.

Tycho
10-20-2006, 10:12 AM
It's amazing how many folks here in just a short while have claimed they don't have a cell phone.

I got my first one in 1997 I think. I was still in college, but I got it because I couldn't remotely operate my home phone answering machine and I spent a lot of time trying to get girls to call me and worrying about whether or not they did. Oh, I had a pager when those were popular to have, but I wasn't always near a payphone and I was annoyed when I felt compelled to use one to check my voice mail.

Now I really only give girls my cell phone number, so I never miss my opportunities.

Oh sure, when I first started out, I didn't know how to use my plan (or cell phone excuses to avoid long "peak-hour calls) and I had a few $150 phone bill surprises. But since then, I usually don't pay over $50 unless I'm on a trip or at an event like Comic Con or something, and I rely on my phone for a lot of contacts.

Anyway, the cell totally reduced my stress level about my social life. It also helped for Star Wars hunting at the height of it, as the 7 of us on our collecting team staked out 7 different stores every morning and had "conference calls about our loot" at 7:15 or 8:15am any successful morning - our "networks'" want-lists in our pockets. Talk about making the hunt for the SA Clone Troopers convenient!

El Chuxter
10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Mine turns into Rumble. He causes the earthquakes.

sith_killer_99
10-20-2006, 05:38 PM
Unfortunatly, being homeless right now, I had to buy a cell 3 months ago. I went to Wal-Mart, bought a "Net 10" (Motorola) phone for $50.00. The phone costs 10 cents per minute and is rechargable via a phone card. I got 300 minutes with the phone, so I really only paid $20.00 for the phone. Minutes are good for 3 months, and let's face it, if you still have minutes after 3 months you should never have wasted money for the phone to begin with. LOL

Anyway...

Provider: NET10

Cost: 10 cents per minutes, anywhere, anytime.

Recetion: Very good.

Blue2th
10-20-2006, 05:59 PM
It's amazing how many folks here in just a short while have claimed they don't have a cell phone.

I got my first one in 1997 I think. I was still in college
1997? I'll bet it was the size of Ceasar's pic. Just once I want to walk around with one of those WWII two or three foot long walkie-talkies, and see how many second looks I get.

Tycho
10-20-2006, 07:12 PM
My first phone was an Erikson. It was an elite model, so it was only a little larger than the flip-phone w. camera that I have now - IIRC. (I think this is my 3rd cell phone - but I've carried over my phone number).

Anyway, I didn't have one of those large WWII phones, but I could still call in an airstrike and order my men to take that hill. The FBI got sick of telling me that Target was not Vietnam though. (see the Star Wars figures are upstairs, so the attack plan does require a vertical assent).

JetsAndHeels
10-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Now I really only give girls my cell phone number, so I never miss my opportunities.

Like the girl you met when looking for SW figs at Target, right?

Tycho
10-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Like the girl you met when looking for SW figs at Target, right?

Who never called me, btw - but yes, you'd be correct. If she wanted to call me, I'd have rather gotten her call than had missed it because she rang my home phone when I was not around. Plus some people are strange about leaving messages - they just don't like to do it - or give out their numbers.

She was a cop of sorts (corrections officer), so that might also make her cautious as I might've reminded her of this completely insane psycopath who escaped mental therapy incarceration and has been seen sniffing Mouse Droids in the greater San Diego area.

So if I'd been lucky, she might've called again, and I shouldn't have missed it.

CaptainSolo1138
10-20-2006, 08:07 PM
She was a cop of sorts (corrections officer)
Thus rendering her a false-cop.

Tycho
10-20-2006, 08:23 PM
There you go! CaptainSolo speaks my True-Language. :)

Kidhuman
10-20-2006, 08:42 PM
Why does it suprise you that people dont have cell phones? I dont want one for the simple fact that I have a home phone where people can call me at. I dont want to be out and have my phone ring constantly. Its damn annoying and intrusive. Call my home, leave a message and I will get back to you.

CaptainSolo1138
10-20-2006, 08:57 PM
I had a chemistry professor who refused to have one because he usually left the house to get get away from his wife and daughter.

figrin bran
10-20-2006, 11:23 PM
i don't understand either why it would be so hard to fathom that some people would actually choose not to own a cell phone.

i've already explained why i don't want one and as i'm sure KH will attest to, when you have to answer phones all day, you discover that people over the phone are either

1) complete morons. they call b/c they need help but they can't really explain themselves and they expect you to just read their minds

2) complete jackals. they think that just b/c you can't see them, they feel a sort of immunity and then they yell and curse at you all they want.

after a day of this, i don't even want to answer my home phone when i get home and though i do recognize that there would be advantages to owning a cell phone, i can't justify spending money on one when i wouldn't even answer my calls anyhow. if all i'm going to do is listen to voicemail, i might as well stick to an old fashioned answering machine.

JetsAndHeels
10-20-2006, 11:26 PM
i don't understand either why it would be so hard to fathom that some people would actually choose not to own a cell phone.

i've already explained why i don't want one and as i'm sure KH will attest to, when you have to answer phones all day, you discover that people over the phone are either

1) complete morons. they call b/c they need help but they can't really explain themselves and they expect you to just read their minds

2) complete jackals. they think that just b/c you can't see them, they feel a sort of immunity and then they yell and curse at you all they want.

after a day of this, i don't even want to answer my home phone when i get home and though i do recognize that there would be advantages to owning a cell phone, i can't justify spending money on one when i wouldn't even answer my calls anyhow. if all i'm going to do is listen to voicemail, i might as well stick to an old fashioned answering machine.

Dear FB,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I will call you tomorrow about it.

Sincerely,

J&H

Tycho
10-20-2006, 11:33 PM
Kidhuman and CaptainSolo bring up interesting points.

However, you both are married. I am not. There's a huge "player's priority" difference in our interest in phone calls right there. - Not that I'm some kind of stud in the least bit.

I dont want to be out and have my phone ring constantly. Its damn annoying and intrusive.

I wish I got that many phone calls that it would bother me. I receive maybe 3 phone calls a day on my cell. I feel rather lonely when that count is below the average.

Again, you guys come home to your wives, possibly the most important persons in your lives. I have no one like that (however, now that I am also listed for a kidney transplant, it is imperative that the hospital can reach me immediately should a good cadaver transplant organ become available - thus making it so I might complete a day having surgery I never started the day with a plan for.)

But yeah, I haven't been listed for a transplant since '97 or I'd have had one by now.

Since then, having a cell has enabled me to have a few relationships with several girls that I never probably would have otherwise.

It was also how friends have found me to help me collect Star Wars, meet them for movies, coordinate ourselves at Disneyland or Six Flags, etc.

It's funny how we adjust to technology. I was getting my haircut today and had a very interesting discussion with the girl cutting my hair about I-pods. I don't own one, but she was selling me on the idea. It would have to go along in conjunction with re-doing my car audio and subscribing to i-Tunes. I'm not ready to do that, but I learned from her how it all worked. I never looked into that before, as I was resistant myself to that modern evolution in the music business.

JetsAndHeels
10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
I wish I got that many phone calls that it would bother me. I receive maybe 3 phone calls a day on my cell. I feel rather lonely when that count is below the average.

Pm me your number. I will have Samuel L. Jackson call you and tell you to see Snakes on a Plane.

sith_killer_99
10-21-2006, 12:06 AM
I hated having a cell phone.

I would not even own one right now except...

1. I have no home to which I may attatch a regular telephone.

2. I have been on a lot of long road trips lately and really want to have one for any emergencies that may arise.

Aside from that I find cell phones to be dam annoying. Not jujst because people call at akward times, but because too many people just don't understand cell phone etiquete! I could go on and on with examples, but I will spare everyone here the headache.

JetsAndHeels
10-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Aside from that I find cell phones to be dam annoying. Not jujst because people call at akward times, but because too many people just don't understand cell phone etiquete! I could go on and on with examples, but I will spare everyone here the headache.

The cell phone is probably the one thing that people have used in the rudest fashion. I have one for when I am on the road, and to make occasional calls to friends and that is it. I never exceed my minutes ever....I do not see the attraction of talking on any phone for long periods of time.
Everywhere you go now you will see people on their phones like its a matter of death, when they should be paying attention to what they are doing.

Tycho
10-21-2006, 12:18 AM
SithKiller, I agree with you about cell phone etiquette.

I don't think it's right to yap on the phone in a grocery store line, and ignore the checker - or do it at the bank, etc.

While waiting in the line for the movies (for things like Superman Returns) I asked if my place could be held while I tended to a long conversation away from everyone. I did take calls to help people seeing the show with us find me & friends in line - stuff like that - which were very quick calls). Of course I turn my phone onto vibrate mode during a movie and don't answer it (my Call ID records the non-blocked numbers and voicemail or text I might get - hate texting myself, btw).

But yes, the phones are very useful in an emergency. *222 calls down AAA auto service immediately if I'd ever need them, etc. 9-1-1 was once or twice useful to me as well, when I helped myself once, and helped others before, too.

Tycho
10-21-2006, 12:20 AM
I do not see the attraction of talking on any phone for long periods of time.

I usually "talk" on the forums here on on MySpace, but when I don't feel particularly great, need to lie down with my eyes closed, etc. I love talking on the phone because I feel connected to people and so much less isolated.

sith_killer_99
10-21-2006, 12:35 AM
I just got a vision...Clerks 3

Randal: Hey, remember that guy Bobbie, we went to High School with?

Dante: The guy with extreme acne and bad breath.

Randal: No the guy with buck teeth bad acne and red hair.

Dante: That guy. What about him?

Randal: He got his a** kick at the Kwikie Mart?

Dante: What?

Randal: Yeah, he's in the hospital they had to re-attatch his scrotum.

Dante: What happened?

Randal: Cell phone rage?

Dante: Cell phone rage?!?!

Randal: Yeah, he was standing in line talking on his cell phone and writing the cashier a check when the guy in line behind him just snapped.

Dante: He snapped?

Randal: The guy in line behind him. Have you ever noticed that you repeat half of everything I say? Anyway, the guy behind him just snapped and started kicking his a**. It took 3 cops a stun gun and a dog to get the guy off of him. In the middle of everything the dog got a little confused.

Dante: So, the dog got confused.

Randal: Yeah, remember "Stand by Me"? Chopper, sic balls!

Dante: Oh my god, is he gonna be all right?

Randal: Who gives a fu*k, he was one of those cell phone guys.

Dante: Oh, yeah.

Customer walks up...end scene.

Tycho
10-21-2006, 12:55 AM
That was funny. You and Kevin Smith should work together.

2-1B
10-21-2006, 12:58 AM
I had a chemistry professor who refused to have one because he usually left the house to get get away from his wife and daughter.

Sweet, that leaves more women for you and me. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
10-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Why does it suprise you that people dont have cell phones? I dont want one for the simple fact that I have a home phone where people can call me at. I dont want to be out and have my phone ring constantly. Its damn annoying and intrusive. Call my home, leave a message and I will get back to you.

Easy put the phone on silent then you won't notice when somebody is calling you. Its a far less guilty then ignoring the home phone rining WHICH YOU CAN'T PUT ON SILENT MIGHT I ADD!!! :D

figrin bran
10-22-2006, 02:23 AM
as i mentioned earlier, JJB, if you're going to always put your cell phone on silent, why even pay for one?

2-1B
10-22-2006, 02:29 AM
It's no different than paying for a landline phone with an answering machine to take messages. :confused:

Blue2th
10-22-2006, 07:17 AM
Easy put the phone on silent then you won't notice when somebody is calling you. Its a far less guilty then ignoring the home phone rining WHICH YOU CAN'T PUT ON SILENT MIGHT I ADD!!! :D
My old Southwestern Bell land-line phone with a cord has an off switch for the ringer and my answering machine also has volume control. I'll make sure any new all-in-one land line phone that I buy (to replace the cordless one that broke) has these particular features.

Kidhuman
10-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Exactly, I can shut the ringer off on a landline.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 10:02 AM
I risk sounding pretentious often. I'll get under someone's skin with this comment.

I have to weigh: Do I make the comment because it's true from my POV, or do I pretend to overlook what I might be thinking in order to be polite?

Hate me for what I am: I'm not polite. However, understand that I'm interested in being thorough, not hurting someone else.

My comment is that I think a few people here have spending on toys as such a high priority, that their budget won't allow for them to have any surprise cell phone bills they won't like to have to make payment on, and their social lives aren't as dependant on the cell as others, so they make their choice. The inverse of this decision would be that if they'd won the lottery, a cell phone and calling plan would be on their laundry list regardless of how they feel about calls anyway, as they could put their phone on silent -and cells actually offer cheaper long-distance routes to take (after peak times).

2-1B
10-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Uh, yeah Tycho, I think you have these guys figured out. :rolleyes:

What a stupid thing to say. :stupid: And on WHAT do you base that, anyway? :confused: Because they don't want to be bothered with a phone since they are all the time at work like KH and some others have said? :confused:

Okay, so then make the jump to saying it's because they buy toys. Uh, yeah. lol

That's not an issue of being polite, it's an issue of making bizarre and unrelated conclusions. And it sounds really obnoxious, so maybe it is a matter of not being polite afterall. ;) I certainly wouldn't take pride in that, though.

You, sir, are ANYTHING but thorough.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 10:45 AM
It was a possibility Caesar. I remember how annoyed I was when I got $150 bills when I first had a cell phone and didn't self-discipline myself.

When I first spent too much money, my thought was "my God, how am I going to afford all the toys I want?" I figure a tangible object (A SW figure or Transformer, something like that) is worth more than a nebulous "I had a phone conversation last month and I have nothing in my hands to show for it - nor do I remember what I was talking about anyway."

So while I DO have a phone, I think about others' reactions to things as I react myself. It may not always draw the right conclusions, but it's a place to start. So yeah, I always try to introspect someone beneathe their surface. I find it both somewhat challenging, and intelligent (not to just take people at their word, that is).

By the way, don't you correlate how much a person says they spend their time driving (for toy hunts for example) with the price of gas? If gas dropped to 99 cents a gallon, would you be more inclined to take a day you had free to go driving? With prices for gas as they still are, doesn't it make online ordering at least a little more appealing?

The same thing with cells, I'm sure. As I said, if folks around here won the lottery, they'll behave differently.

Kidhuman
10-22-2006, 11:01 AM
No matter if I won the lotto or not, I would not get a cell phone. If I won millions of dollars, your a55 could talk to my butler.

Isobars&:beard:

Slicker
10-22-2006, 11:09 AM
The only reason I have my cell phone is for the long distance deal.

Since my family lives 800 miles away it's just easier than using phone cards all of the time. I think my bill is around $80 a month. Nothing that's gonna break the bank.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Well, there you go. I started this thread with the intention of helping a lot of folks out there get the best cell phone deals. I might change myself if I found someone had a plan worthwhile for me.

Slicker, I'm not sure how my Verizon plan would work out for you, but it sounds like if it would, you'd save $20-30 a month, if you and I have similar calling habits.

If the topic helps you save even $20 a month (that's sort of like 3.5 Star Wars figures), then I'm glad this topic's posted and it helped you.

Like I've noted, my bill is about $50 / month, but I know it hardly costs the phone company that to offer me service. So if I could save even more, I'd go for it. Ideally, we should only pay $10 / month for this service.

Kidhuman
10-22-2006, 11:37 AM
So, if we decide to go with verizon, should we say you sent us so you get the discount?

Tycho
10-22-2006, 11:40 AM
So, if we decide to go with verizon, should we say you sent us so you get the discount?

I don't know of any rewards plan from Verizon of that nature. Not sure about other companies. But no, I don't have that as an alterior motive.

You can enjoy talking to me for free with the In-Calling Network feature though. It'll be like making a False-Phone Call because you're not being charged for it :D

Slicker
10-22-2006, 11:57 AM
I just realized that I didn't put my plan.

I'm through Verizon and I have 900 any time minutes unlimited nights and weekends and I also have unlimited text messages. It costs $60 a month but for some reason my usage charge is also $12. I could've swore that I was paying $60 a month for usage but whatever.:rolleyes:

Tycho
10-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Do you use 900 anytime minutes?

It sounds like you have a step-up from my phone plan, but I don't even use all my minutes.

Slicker
10-22-2006, 12:06 PM
Do you use 900 anytime minutes?

I actually come pretty close. I think the step down for me is like 600 minutes and I go over that so it's cheaper to pay for more minutes then to go over and have to pay out the arse for overages.&

It's also good to have more in case something comes up and I'm on the phone constantly.

sith_killer_99
10-22-2006, 12:13 PM
and cells actually offer cheaper long-distance routes to take (after peak times).

Actually, that's not true anymore. I had a home phone service with unlimited local and long distance calling for about $65.00 per month. My wife could spend 4 hours a day calling her mom back home (long distancde) and my phone bill was still just $65.00 per month. I don't know any cell service that can boast about that, unless they were on the same "calling plan" or some other bs where everyone is locked into some sort of contract!

As for your previous comment, you are close, in my case. I am a cheap SOB and I will be the first to admit that. So eight years ago I didn't want a cell phone because:

1. I would have been locked into a contract with a guaranteed monthly bill (I hated that).
2. Surprise bills you mentioned would have shocked the heck out of me, not that I couldn't have paid them. I was single and had no bills.

However, now days it's a different story. As I mentioned I needed a cell phone for emergencies. But I rarely use it.

I still don't really care for cell phones, and I can certainly see why some people choose not to have them.

So I don't really think your arguement holds water today, maybe 5-10 years ago, but not now.

2-1B
10-22-2006, 12:22 PM
By the way, don't you correlate how much a person says they spend their time driving (for toy hunts for example) with the price of gas? If gas dropped to 99 cents a gallon, would you be more inclined to take a day you had free to go driving? With prices for gas as they still are, doesn't it make online ordering at least a little more appealing?

Nope, I don't buy toys so the price of gas has no influence on me. They could drop the price of Star Wars figures to $1 each and I still wouldn't be buying toys. That's what KH was saying, that he had non-financial reasons for not buying a cell phone. I thought his reasons were pretty clearly laid out, oh well. :)

I do, however, correlate how much a person says they spend their time pulling down some fine ladies with the amount of time they spend bragging about it on the internet while also talking about toys...and so I develop theories on those issues. I just don't want to get under anyone's skin. lol

CaptainSolo1138
10-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I do, however, correlate how much a person says they spend their time pulling down some fine ladies with the amount of time they spend bragging about it on the internet while also talking about toys...and so I develop theories on those issues. I just don't want to get under anyone's skin. lol
I can just hear Boner Mazo and Dell Rusk now...

My wife and I share a phone, but we're moving within the next couple weeks and are considering dropping a landline all together and "adding a line" to our current plan for an extra $10 a month. There's already three phones on our current network (us, her mom and her dad) and we can have up to five. We all share 1500 minutes with free long distance and free nights (after 7:00pm) and weekends.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 12:42 PM
I do, however, correlate how much a person says they spend their time pulling down some fine ladies with the amount of time they spend bragging about it on the internet

And the total sum of my failures would require a whole website to list. :hurt:

I don't really brag about my successes. They are too often rare, as well as my own personal business with whatever girl we're talking about, unless of course half the forum members are at some convention and meet her.

while also talking about toys...and so I develop theories on those issues.

And you are right to do so.

Remember, women age and wind up looking a lot less like the girl you once fell for. They divorce (or you do), but barring they get 'em in the settlement, you keep your toys forever (well as long as you're alive to do so).

It's harder to keep women if they sense you have no longterm plans to offer them anything (like a way to mooch off you for the rest of your earnings and life, while pay for the kids they couldn't be responsible for on their own merits).

Part of being vulnerable to women, is being susceptible to being trapped like this. It's easier to find the exit to a toy store than a marriage.

Honestly, if I could help not wanting women, I wouldn't really need them for anything - but I'm made the way I am. And yeah, sexuality aside, sure I'm like everyone else in that I want some affection and someone to be close to, especially since my immediate family is dead and I'm all alone full-time with my bitterness.

InsaneJediGirl
10-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I use the Verizon Family Share plan since everyone else in the surrounding family has it. My parents added a line so I just pay my part into the bill. Works out pretty good,I really only use the phone at night when its free anyways.

I can understand why a lot of people dont like cell phones. I really dont like the phone all together and avoid it like the plague. I dont see how people can talk for more than a hour at a time and I dont really talk that long(interestingly,its the opposite for face-to-face convos).

Remember, women age and wind up looking a lot less like the girl you once fell for. They divorce (or you do), but barring they get 'em in the settlement, you keep your toys forever (well as long as you're alive to do so).

Not to get off topic,but thats why you marry someone with a personality and not just looks ;)

El Chuxter
10-22-2006, 04:09 PM
What I want to know:

Recently, Comedy Central has been airing late-night commercials for a text-message version of the old phone sex scam.

What kind of idiot would you have to be to pay $0.50 per message, plus normal charges, to get something like "U R Kewl, LOL" on your phone?

Tycho
10-22-2006, 04:12 PM
Not to get off topic,but thats why you marry someone with a personality and not just looks ;)

Ooops. I tend to forget sometimes that this is not an exclusively male fan-forum. *blush*

Anyway, I agree with you InsaneJediGirl, however, from my own experience I operate in 2 modes:

1) I leave the house and go about my business with NO (zero) intentions at all to meet and form relationships with the opposite sex - I don't cruise the club scenes or bars any more (usually) and I don't even really try to make new friends even. I'm naturally sort of social, so I get into conversations by accident sometimes, and though I don't know why, sometimes people actually like me (poor judgement on thier part, I guess).

2) some girl, usually dressed like "a looker," but definitely a looker nonetheless (that's looker, not another word I mispelled that starts with an "h"), gives me whiplash, and then I find my body following whichever way my head and neck turned, and then some brainless dialogue is coming out of my mouth and she smiles - or runs away as fast as she can. As I said before, my failures add up to a long, long list, but my successes have been fun, too. They haven't been my intentions as I start out my day, but rather my knee-jerk responses.

Back to the topic, I enjoy having a cell phone because she can call me and I won't miss her that way.

Blue2th
10-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Though maybe not a cell phone, I do believe there is a correlation between buying toys and not being able to afford other luxuries. I could have bought a boat or a cooler car to pick up Chicks with all the money I've spent on toys. Then of course, I would have to have a cell phone, so she could know every minute where I am, and vise-versa :ninja:

2-1B
10-22-2006, 04:47 PM
What I want to know:

Recently, Comedy Central has been airing late-night commercials for a text-message version of the old phone sex scam.

What kind of idiot would you have to be to pay $0.50 per message, plus normal charges, to get something like "U R Kewl, LOL" on your phone?

And ESPECIALLY when you can get those for free right here from me, Slick, and Caps. lol lol lol

Tycho
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
Though maybe not a cell phone, I do believe there is a correlation between buying toys and not being able to afford other luxuries. I could have bought a boat or a cooler car to pick up Chicks with all the money I've spent on toys. Then of course, I would have to have a cell phone, so she could know every minute where I am, and vise-versa :ninja:

As a former boater myself, I'd say buy what you'd personally enjoy in that category. Any time I've been out there I haven't yet met a Mermaid. So speed, comfort, and use - fishing, water-skiing, racing - whatever's your pleasure comes first - but make sure the balance is right as the open ocean is a lot different from lakes or the bay (and if your lake or bay gets busy like on the 4th of July, it's not pleasant if you don't have the right balance, that's for sure)

As to a car, I have a friend who uses flashy cars like BMWs and Mercedes' sports models to vallet-park right in front of clubs so he can be all about "being seen" and "his image." If you ask me, he dates girls that are worse than the ones I find.

InsaneJediGirl just tried to give me very practical advice about women - which of course I'm already too twisted to absorb (I guess - I AM thinking about what she said). But my pal purposely "hunts" women. I think the troubles I've went through this past year have revamped my behavior patterns like that. I still want that cell and react with whiplash to a hot woman - and that's what'll cause my snake to strike - but I rather like the times when I don't need to be on the prowl. Besides, after a while, you gather a large enough list of friends with benefits, that you can retire from being a full-time-predator.

As to a vehicle to drive? The best mileage is most important these days, as is using the least-polluting. However, an SUV does make for greater safety, passenger comfort, cargo-space, and 4-wheel drive power. A hybrid SUV would probably be the happy medium. I just don't drive enough at all now (because of my medical conditions and sleepiness moreseo than gas prices) so it seems like car payments would be an unnecessary burden at the moment. I'm using like 1 tank of gas per month! (20 gallons, approximately)

Blue2th
10-22-2006, 06:08 PM
As a former boater myself, I'd say buy what you'd personally enjoy in that category. Any time I've been out there I haven't yet met a Mermaid. So speed, comfort, and use - fishing, water-skiing, racing - whatever's your pleasure comes first - but make sure the balance is right as the open ocean is a lot different from lakes or the bay (and if your lake or bay gets busy like on the 4th of July, it's not pleasant if you don't have the right balance, that's for sure)

As to a car, I have a friend who uses flashy cars like BMWs and Mercedes' sports models to vallet-park right in front of clubs so he can be all about "being seen" and "his image." If you ask me, he dates girls that are worse than the ones I find.

Yeah, though there are some large lakes here, I know about the ocean from where I was born http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canton_Island As far as a vehicle, I own a 4X4 Toyota pick-up (which would tow a boat nicely).........There has been many a time lost hikers have used their cells to notify a rescue. I can definitly see a good reason to have one especially for emergencys.

Slicker
10-22-2006, 06:10 PM

Hmmm...I drive a "flashy" vehicle too yet I have never valet parked it. I think your friend has self esteem issues. Especially if he has a nice car and still gets girls like Slicker's mom.

2-1B
10-22-2006, 06:17 PM
That valet guy sounds like a real douchebag.

Tycho
10-22-2006, 06:19 PM
That valet guy sounds like a real douchebag.

He is. Ever seen the movie "Swingers?" That's so much like the pair of us it's not funny. I bought him that movie for his last birthday present.

Hmmm...I drive a "flashy" vehicle too yet I have never valet parked it. I think your friend has self esteem issues.

I think you're right. He used to be poor and joined the Navy to earn his money for college when he didn't have enough self-discipline to stay in school the first time. Now he's either rich, or in debt up to his eyeballs and changes girlfriends every so often so he's not with a girl that finds out about it. *sigh*

I'd like for him to find happiness, but it's not my problem. I think he'll die this way - living in his fake world. I have less women and a less flashy lifestyle, but I have more long-term friends and self-contentment than I've ever seen him with. His stress is real to maintain his illusion.

CaptainSolo1138
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
And ESPECIALLY when you can get those for free right here from me, Slick, and Caps. lol lol lolLOL Caesar u r kewl maybe we can hang out sumtime LOL

figrin bran
10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
if i won the lotto, i'd get all sorts of friends and relatives coming out of the woodwork and they'll just have to talk to my butler.

i don't recall myself nor KH ever saying that it was financial reasons for not getting a cell so like Caesar said, it's kind of bizarre for you Tycho, to just shoehorn (ha, isn't that one of JT's favorite words?) in that bit about toy collecting. but i'll tell you what, i could afford a cell more than i could afford a MPE Starscream :p

2-1B
10-22-2006, 11:25 PM
shoehorn (ha, isn't that one of JT's favorite words?)

Yes, especially with regard to the last 3 Star Wars movies. :crazed:

ps figrin U R kewl

Tycho
10-22-2006, 11:25 PM
but i'll tell you what, i could afford a cell more than i could afford a MPE Starscream :p

You're right: MPE Starscream costs about the equivalent of 2 months of my cell phone bills. I sure hope he's worth it!

figrin bran
10-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes, especially with regard to the last 3 Star Wars movies. :crazed:

ps figrin U R kewl

omg, u r lik so totally kewl 2!

CaptainSolo1138
10-23-2006, 03:14 PM
everboday heer is so kewl it herts

figrin bran
10-24-2006, 12:01 AM
i dunt kno n e udder place wit so menne kewl ppl!

Kidhuman
10-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Fine a lee I M kewl

figrin bran
10-24-2006, 02:07 AM
omg, evry1 iz lyk soooo kewl! evin jedytrix nd tyko nd slikr

Tycho
10-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Well, as a thread to help myself and others here find the best cell phone provider's deal, this thread might be declared a failure rather early.

Ironically, the tangent on text-messaging is turning half the participants into False-ValleyGirls. :upset:

figrin bran
10-24-2006, 03:02 AM
omg so we lyk toedally hyejacked dis thredd?

El Chuxter
10-24-2006, 12:52 PM
u r a duduhed

burn i got u gud

sith_killer_99
10-24-2006, 10:03 PM
u r a duduhed

Yeah...a False-duduhed.:p

False-Valleygurlz r betur thn slikrz mom.:Pirate:

Tycho
10-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I can see it now, schools will start having to offer "Verizon, Sprint, and Cingular" as foreign languages. :rolleyes:

figrin bran
10-25-2006, 01:49 AM
Well, as a thread to help myself and others here find the best cell phone provider's deal, this thread might be declared a failure rather early.

Ironically, the tangent on text-messaging is turning half the participants into False-ValleyGirls. :upset:

wiy due u h8 uz tyko? u r da suck nd da falz valy gurlz rule!

Tycho
10-25-2006, 03:27 AM
I'm disappointed, but I have a sense of humor. After all, I'm Tycho!

Slicker
10-25-2006, 04:49 AM
I'm disappointed, but I have a sense of humor. After all, I'm Tycho!I couldn't have said it better myself...oh, carp. I mean...i culd not have sed it beter miself. burrrrrrrn