PDA

View Full Version : I can't wait to see the new Borat movie in 2 weeks.

2-1B
10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
"I like!" :grin:

He is definitely my favorite character from Da Ali G Show. While Ali and Bruno have some great stuff, Borat is easily the funniest. The cameo he had in the In Da House movie was a cruel tease.

El Chuxter
10-19-2006, 08:48 PM
That reminds me: I need to write a complaint letter to Comic-Con about this.

They (Sony?) had a preview in Hall H right before the family-friendly Stardust/Transformers panel. There was no specific programming information. There were a hell of a lot of kids. The preview they showed, with not even a "this may not be suitable for kids" warning? Borat fighting some fat guy for five minutes, both butt naked, with black bars that mysteriously vanished several times and left nothing whatsoever to the imagination, in fight poses that simulated gay sex, while shouting, "Eat my ***!"

Dude, I'm not easily offended, but with no warning at an event that purports to promote comic art to all ages? Absolutely inappropriate. In the proper context, of an R-rated movie, or even if the programming guide had clearly indicated that the preview would be for Borat and contain graphic material, no problem. Hell, Quentin Tarantino and Kevin Smith both spouted the f-bomb a few hundred times each during their panels, but everyone knows they love the dirty words. People who took their kids to those panels should've known what to expect.

I'm not at all kidding when I say that a guy walked in right before the preview started, and was with a daughter of probably four or five, and just stopped in the aisle with a horrified look on his face right beside the row I was seated in. I just don't want that guy with his daughter wondering, "How the **** am I going to explain this to her?" to be me in a few years.

2-1B
10-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Chux, I can only reply to that with a quote from Borat, "High Five!" lol lol lol

Seriously though, that is odd...it couldn't have been a real trailer because those are all "approved for all ages" (that is if they have the green intro screen, whereas the red screen is the restricted one but you don't see that one very often).

They probably should have put a warning in the programming guide...but then again if they don't do it for Kevvers and QT, why do they get a pass on this? Shouldn't they be flagged, too? I don't think it's a given that everyone knows how crass they are...what if there were some Jersey Girl fans there who wanted to see the filmmaker ? lol lol lol lol lol

Nevertheless,
"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakstan"
looks like it could be one of my favorites of the years...I was so happy to find free promo posters at the theater a few weeks back, and I even had my pic taken with the oversized cardboard cutout of Borat inside the theater. :crazed:

El Chuxter
10-19-2006, 08:58 PM
Nah, they typically show all sorts of exclusive stuff at Comic-Con. Usually it's acceptable stuff, which was why this was so shocking.

Like I said, it doesn't offend me, but there's a time and place where things are unacceptable. Like you don't take Slicker's Mom to a church.

2-1B
10-19-2006, 09:04 PM
That's what I meant, that it had to have been a promo clip they cut for uses other than wide released trailers. It does sound odd that they wouldn't have a clean version to show...they probably do for most of the horror movies they preview, even !

El Chuxter
10-20-2006, 11:01 AM
They generally like to show "special" stuff at Comic-Con that otherwise won't be seen for months, sometimes ever. Remember how I told everyone Superman Returns would rock? Yeah, I got to see some kewl stuff. It's how I know for a fact that TMNT and Spider-Man 3 will likely be the two best films next year. This year, they also showed some awesome Pirates 2 bloopers and intentional CG gags that I hope are on the DVD (like Elizabeth Swann fighting evil pirates using two lightsabers).

But you can trust me on one thing: if this bit isn't cut, it is the most graphic sequence I've ever seen in a film. If I hadn't been in shock that they were showing it, it would've been hella funny, too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm really looking forward to this flick too. Cohen is a fantastic actor and it amazes me that he has such a wide range of characters. Although, I think one of my all time favorite skits on the show was when Bruno interviewed that Minister and kept asking about gay things he could/could not do.

"Being fabulous!"

Plus, this movie is getting RAVE reviews from the press. Should be great! :thumbsup:

2-1B
10-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Yeah JMGuy, Bruno is great ! :D I love it when he uses the phrase "fantastish"

And the way he gets people to lampoon themselves without knowing is brilliant...like those college dorks on the beach who he had doing one goofy thing after another, making themselves look foolish, but as soon as he told them to say "yay gay Austrian TV!!!" they turned on him and THEN drew the line out of distaste for Bruno...hilarious. lol lol lol

General_Grievous
10-21-2006, 01:07 PM
I can't wait for Borat either, Cae. I was reading Entertainment Weekly and they said it may be one of the funniest films ever. I also saw the Ali G movie and I was a bit disappointed by it, but I've seen every episode on HBO.

2-1B
10-21-2006, 01:21 PM
I think EW nailed it with their comments about why the movie was't that great...I didn't think the scripted storyline worked either, I just prefer these characters in "real life" settings. lol

I'll dig up that pic I took with Borat in the theater, it's around here somewhere...

2-1B
11-04-2006, 10:11 AM
I love the avatar homage, GG.

Why did I post this thread in TV ?

Well, tonight's the night, I'll be seeing Borat and I can't wait ! ! !

2-1B
11-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I loved it, I just wish it was longer. I imagine there are some great deleted scenes out there just begging to be included on the DVD.

I almost couldn't see it though because it's not playing in my town so we drove 40 minutes to see it...we got there at 9pm and the sign said 9:30 Borat Sold Out...needless to say I wasn't going to drive that far and NOT see it, so I scanned the marquee to see what else was playing and I noticed Man of the Year was listed for 9:25 pm. We bought tickets for that goofy looking Robin Williams movie and just sat down in the Borat room anyway. It worked and we got to see it, so I was very relieved.

Too bad my $8.50 won't be included in the theatrical returns.

El Chuxter
11-05-2006, 01:38 PM
My complaints about the material shown at Comic-Con aside, I was actually thinking about seeing this based on how funny everyone says Ali G is. I'd never watched his show. . . until yesterday, when my bro-in-law visited and wanted to watch the marathon on HBO Comedy.

Is the movie more than just him walking around saying, "Hello, I am Yakov Smirnoff Borat, I love the US and A, [insert unfunny ethnic joke here]?" Because that's all I saw in a couple of hours worth of the show, and it looked like a textbook example of an unfunny fifth-grader trying too hard to get a laugh.

Mind you, I'll normally laugh at anything. I just about peed in my pants the first time I saw the old "Moove Over Butter" commercial with the singing cow. But this... it looked like some loser trying to rip off The Daily Show's fake news reports, but somehow missing the point that they're supposed to be funny.

2-1B
11-05-2006, 01:54 PM
I completely disagree with your review of the show but for what it's worth I think the movie should have had even MORE of his interviews...they had real interviews with real people who weren't in on the fact that he's playing a character, and that's what I love about the whole concept.

The movie has him going on a road trip in the "US and A" doing those types of real interviews and it is definitely hilarious...but the movie is tied together with a good amount of footage of him in character but not goofing on real people.

It's a great movie though, and the scenes in question that they showed at Comic Con were definitely over the top! I loved it.

The racist jokes are great because when Borat says them he sometimes gets people to agree with him. It must be weird for Cohen, a Jew himself, to say such things and then expose real people who actually agree with him because they think he's on their "side." Good stuff.

General_Grievous
11-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I just saw it last night and I nearly pi**ed myself with laughter. I was in a packed theater and everyone loved it. There's nothing funnier than two grown men running and wrestling in the nude in the middle of a business conference. Yagshemash! :D

2-1B
11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I need to know at what point Pam Anderson was aware of what was going on...because that "wedding sack" was one of the funniest things in the whole movie, GG ! ! !

El Chuxter
11-05-2006, 02:20 PM
Eh, Samantha Bee could kick his butt in fake interviews. Just give her a bran muffin and a large cup of espresso. :p

General_Grievous
11-05-2006, 02:28 PM
that "wedding sack" was one of the funniest things in the whole movie, GG ! ! !

Oh, definitely. And did you see how hard that security guard tackled him in the parking lot? But on another note, this was an offensive movie. I only got offended by one thing. At the end, when Borat's got an iPod and his neighbor got an iPod mini, Borat said "iPod minis are for girls". I found this most offensive because I am a guy and I own an iPod mini. :mad: :p Besides, everyone knows the iPod shuffle is for girls.;)

2-1B
11-05-2006, 02:54 PM
Eh, Samantha Bee could kick his butt in fake interviews. Just give her a bran muffin and a large cup of espresso. :p

Good for Samantha Bee, but let me know when she's capable of pulling off 3 completely different characters.

Oh, definitely. And did you see how hard that security guard tackled him in the parking lot?

That's what has me wondering...I've read that Cohen and Anderson are friends or at least know each other so she had to know he was going to do *something* ahead of time. Her reaction to his marriage proposal was too perfect though, I don't think she's capable of acting that well. So I'm sure she knew something was up when she saw him there, obviously, but they must not have told her what exactly he was going to do. As for the security guards, yeah he got hammered pretty good so it makes me wonder if they left those guys out of the loop or just told them to let him have it and Borat would suffer for his art.

2-1B
11-12-2006, 10:38 PM
I saw it Friday for my second viewing and still loved it, the DVD should be fantastic when it comes out !

UKWildcat
11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
Ah Ha! Here is where that thread is. I was looking all over the "Other" section (since it was a movie - I know, based off a TV Show) and couldn't find this thread.

Well, I just caught this movie last Friday and thought it was hilarious. I would have seen it sooner but the theater didn't have it here until last weekend, since it had a limited opening. What a great movie though. Very funny stuff. Like Caesar mentioned, the dvd release should be fantastic and I'm very much looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

Btw, did you all hear where the Frat guys in the RV are the first to sue them? Idiots. lol

2-1B
11-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Yeah, those guys sucked, I really hated them whether they were fake or not. It just goes to prove what Cohen was saying in Rolling Stone, that the movie highlights the absurdity of certain views regarding race, gender, etc. and those frat boys nailed it in that regard.

Now, I'm not going to say Cohen doesn't go overboard sometimes :D (come on let's be fair, as much as I love him and his work, HOW ELSE do you expect people to react when you come back from the bathroom with a bag of s***? lol )

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Good for Samantha Bee, but let me know when she's capable of pulling off 3 completely different characters..

Ba Zing! Yeah, i love Sam Bee, but she couldn't hold a candle to Borat.

That's what has me wondering...I've read that Cohen and Anderson are friends or at least know each other so she had to know he was going to do *something* ahead of time. Her reaction to his marriage proposal was too perfect though, I don't think she's capable of acting that well. So I'm sure she knew something was up when she saw him there, obviously, but they must not have told her what exactly he was going to do. As for the security guards, yeah he got hammered pretty good so it makes me wonder if they left those guys out of the loop or just told them to let him have it and Borat would suffer for his art.

and yeah, Pam was in on it. The only official actors in the flick were cohen, his producer, the prostitute, his family and Pamela anderson. Those parts were scripted, but the rest, not so much.

Saw it yesterday and laughed my a-- off. Everybody said, "dude, one scene in that movie will be in your mind always and will haunt your dreams." I know that scene now and yes, it's now burned in my brain. :thumbsup:

2-1B
11-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Hey JMG....

give me your tears, gypsy.

lol lol lol

General_Grievous
11-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Everybody said, "dude, one scene in that movie will be in your mind always and will haunt your dreams." I know that scene now and yes, it's now burned in my brain.
Was it the "hand party" scene in the hotel room? :p

2-1B
11-18-2006, 06:18 PM
and the hotel hallway, hotel elevator, hotel lobby, and hotel convention room. lol

Rocketboy
01-09-2007, 12:19 PM
DVD on March 6

High five! (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18328)

The disc will come with deleted scenes and scenes from "Borat's" visits to the Toronto International Film Festival, Cannes and Comic Con.

UKWildcat
01-09-2007, 06:50 PM
:thumbsup: Very Niiice!!! :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-09-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm really looking forward to those deleted scenes. I remember a scene from the trailer that wasn't in the movie of Borat in a Civil War reenactment.

2-1B
01-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Gin Quee !

General_Grievous
01-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Yagshemash!

2-1B
01-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Jin-dob-ree

Slicker
03-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I saw this on DVD the other day and holy carp is it hilarious!!

The hotel was definitely the best/worst scene in the movie.

As for the frat boys, I thought they were all douches that, if real, only picked him up because they saw cameras. I call that "MTV syndrome".

2-1B
03-10-2007, 11:06 PM
"Slicker is number four prostitute in all of SSG"

UKWildcat
03-10-2007, 11:15 PM
"Great success"

Slicker
03-10-2007, 11:49 PM
"Slicker is number four prostitute in all of SSG"
Very niiiice!

2-1B
03-11-2007, 12:04 AM
High Five !

General_Grievous
03-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Waa waa wee waa!!! King in the castle, king in the castle, go do this!!

bigbarada
03-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I saw it for the first time yesterday on DVD and I didn't much care for it.

There were a few funny scenes; but I kind of wish I had seen it before I knew that many of these people weren't in on the "joke." People lost their jobs and businesses lost money because of this comedian, it's just hard to laugh at that.

I really felt bad for the Jewish Bed & Breakfast owners. :cry:

El Chuxter
03-12-2007, 12:53 AM
I found Borat to be a lot like accidentally firing a nailgun into my groin.

Everyone seems to find it funny except for me.

Well, me and BigB.

And I still say this shtick should not be funny to anyone familiar with the works of a certain Mr Yakov Smirnoff.

General_Grievous
03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
People lost their jobs and businesses lost money because of this comedian, it's just hard to laugh at that.

I really felt bad for the Jewish Bed & Breakfast owners. :cry:

While I agree with you in the sense that I did feel bad about the Bed and Breakfast owners (even though nothing bad happened to them), I did not feel bad at all for some people like that racist who ran the rodeo. If he lost his job, then that's fine by me. Hell, I'd even find that funny. And when he broke a lot of the antiques in the store, I'm sure it was paid back in full off-camera.

bigbarada
03-13-2007, 09:44 AM
What would have been funny is if Pamela Anderson had NOT been in on the joke. :D But of course, she can afford a lawyer, while all the other people they exploited cannot, so that somehow makes it comedy. :rolleyes:

Yakov Smirnoff was pretty funny for a while, until he just ran out of material. Except his humor wasn't mean-spirited or crude and the only person he made a fool of was himself, not unsuspecting victims.

El Chuxter
03-13-2007, 10:13 AM
One says, "In Soviet Russia, blah blah blah." The other says, "In Kazakhstan, blah blah blah." That's what I was referring to.

Of course, Yakov really was from the Soviet Union. Cohen just pretends he's these different people from other countries or ethnicities and pokes fun of them in a crude way. It's not really any different from if I put on blackface and made a movie saying that, lawdy lawdy, I wants me some chitlins and watermelon, yassih mammy.

"But he pretends to be an antisemite, and he's really Jewish! It's irony!" Yeah, buddy, welcome to the party. You're about fifty years late.

Da Ali G show comes across as a totally half-baked middle school attempt to ape the silly interviews on The Daily Show. And the movie? Well, he uses a lot of Michael Moore's tactics, but without any point. Agree or disagree with Moore, at least he's trying to make propaganda. Cohen's just trying to make himself rich.

And at least one of his other characters will have a movie soon, so we can expect more of this.

Cohen is the first person to be both the giant douche and the turd sandwich. I hope he somehow winds up serving a life sentence in a Kazakh prison, surrounded by antisemites who will abuse him 15 times a day for the rest of his life.

General_Grievous
03-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Da Ali G show comes across as a totally half-baked middle school attempt to ape the silly interviews on The Daily Show.

In my opinion, it's way funnier than the Daily Show. Not one person who has been on the Daily Show(with the exception of Steve Carell) has the comedic talent that Sacha Baron Cohen has. Plus, as Borat, he brings out the true ignorance in people, which I think is a talent.

2-1B
03-14-2007, 09:35 PM
Eggactly, General Grievous, it is WAYYYYYY different than Blackface and I don't understand how El Chuggster could make that comparison.

bigB, why do you feel bad for the B&B owners ? :confused: The movie did absolutely nothing to show them in a demeaning light, they were put forward as very nice and harmless people. :confused: The only joke they were involved with was the fun being poked at anti-semitism with the over the top tossing of dollar bills at the cockroaches. I'm sorry but I don't see why you would feel bad for them ?

I suppose I should also feel bad for those idiot frat boys, too. :D

General_Grievous
03-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I was just thinking about Borat figures, or lack thereof. McFarlane should really crank out some Borat figures. They would sell like crazy! They could have:

Borat (regular suit)
Borat (green one-piece swimsuit)
Borat (rodeo attire)
Azamat (let's leave him with his clothes on, thank god)

They could have accessories like the chicken in the bag, the Baywatch magazine, the bear's head, a rubber fist, and of course, soundchips! :p

2-1B
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Borat's sister with trophy.
Borat's amputee neighbor with new hand.

UKWildcat
03-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Pamela with an accessory wedding sack that fits over her figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I finally saw this last weekend, and I felt like I had already seen it. Every single joke was already either shown on TV or explained in full detail in magazines and newpapers. It was pretty funny but I don't think it was the whole cultural phenomenon it was made out to be.

2-1B
03-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Pamela with an accessory wedding sack that fits over her figure.

do you mean her action figure or her figure? :confused:

I like. lol

UKWildcat
03-18-2007, 10:13 PM
do you mean her action figure or her figure? :confused:

I like. lol

Which ever you prefer I suppose. lol

:thumbsup: