PDA

View Full Version : Flash sucks! Sites that rely on it suck more!

El Chuxter
10-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I am getting really damned irritated at the increasing number of sites that are totally dependent upon Flash. Target.com is the latest. I check their ad every week, and today discovered that it's only available in Flash. Pretty much the entire page is various little Flash files.

I hate Flash. It's a cool tool for animation, but too freakin' many web "designers" think it's the be-all, end-all.

So I get to wait an extra minute or two for this crap to download so I can watch animation of the pages turning? Give me a break! How is that an advantage?

To any of you who are web designers or aspire to be, give people an opportunity to quickly and easily get the info they want and leave your site happy. Otherwise, you suck more than Slicker's Mom.

2-1B
10-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't understand why all these websites have to be so flashy in the first place...for god's sake, I'm not watching TV here, I'm just trying to get some information. I want it presented cleanly and in list form. I shouldn't have to click 8 times to get to where I want to go.

stillakid
10-22-2006, 04:00 PM
I don't understand why all these websites have to be so flashy in the first place...for god's sake, I'm not watching TV here, I'm just trying to get some information. I want it presented cleanly and in list form. I shouldn't have to click 8 times to get to where I want to go.

I have a response to that, but you'll have to click here (http://www.purple.com)to read it. :D

JediTricks
10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
What's funny is that sites that use flash as their basis show far fewer clicks and sales than sites that use flash sparingly, but more and more sites on the web are going to flash anyway because of the interactive nature that they think users want. Flash works best in small doses and where a page isn't dependent on its loading, I've seen lots of entertaining flash uses but a certain level of flash becomes too much, Target's ads are a good example because up until a month ago it was a combo between flash and HTML, and they gave you the option to go all HTML, but now that it's all flash it is slow-loading and annoying to use. Still, of all the browser plugins out there, Shockwave Flash is by far the most stable and usable that I've encountered.

mabudonicus
10-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Seriously, some pages like yahoo mail and a few others often crash my browser (there's one add for some cell-phone crap or something that disables my bookmarks pulldown menu even)
It's likely to do with my pice of carp PC and components, but there's some sites I won't touch just cos the browser takes a while getting all the temp files back again. There was one friend of mine who wasted weeks making this fully interactive site for selling Carnivorous plants and after trying to navigate it for over an hour I gave up- shortly afterwards there was a new, low-tech version in it's place that works PERFECTLY

Good Rant, Chux!! :beard:Isobars&

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Mabs, it could be that your flash plugin is too old.

mabudonicus
10-25-2006, 03:33 PM
That's also part of it- I have not been able to get the current one installed- Firefox will not allow me to do it within the program itself (using the "update" functio) nor look for it manually- and on sites where it does work, it still screws everything up as I'm sure my machine is too old for the newfangled internet as it runs now

I have tried to fix the problem but have given up- if I MUST look at something in FLASH, my current, un-updated IE runs it fine from some reason :beard:Isobars&

El Chuxter
10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Silly me would say that's another drawback to Flash.

JediTricks
10-25-2006, 04:14 PM
It's not a common problem.

mabudonicus
10-25-2006, 08:23 PM
I'm not a common dude, either, but I still hates me that FLASH ;) :beard:Isobars&

2-1B
10-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Flash is useful for guarding this wastepaper basket, so...