PDA

View Full Version : where is everybody???!!!!???!!

good shot jansen
08-22-2001, 11:28 AM
have we all got something better to do of late? or do we not like these "new and improved" forums? (see my analogy 8/21/01 under vt the bouty hunter legend thread)

it's been 8 days since this puppy's been up and running, and we seem to have quite a drop off on the amount of chatter one usually finds here. (82 posts total)

i usually pop in in the morning, post to a couple of threads, and then check in again about lunch time expectin' to see a flurry of activity, however, lately it seems i keep checkin in and my morning post seems to be the last post standing.

(hell, i've even takin to goading xuff and boba fett over at xanthra (http://xanthra.com/bbs1/) into toontoesque blood baths just to keep a running dialouge going).

anyway, i was just wondering if it was the "new forums" which have resulted in a drop off, or if we're just coincidentally off and doing other things to keep us from posting with our usual gusto!

Fulit
08-22-2001, 11:30 AM
I bet things will pick up after the new waves and ships hit.

good shot jansen
08-22-2001, 11:31 AM
that's never stopped us before from being chatty!

Fulit
08-22-2001, 11:35 AM
I know that personally, I have felt that things have been in a slump for a while. I find myself without much to say for some reason, I guess mostly because it's all been said at this point. Now see, sitting here talking about it, well, thats giving me something to say.:D

vulcantouch
08-22-2001, 01:13 PM
. . .to quote david patrick kelly's (http://members.nbci.com/dreamdekker/visualstimulation.html) reply (in 48 Hrs.) to the parking garage attendant who expressed astonishment that dpk'd left his car there for Three Years: "i binn BIZZEEEEE!!!!" :p
still am, but meanwhile if it's a fun scrap you're lookin for, maybe the scalper and 1001 threds here (http://www.startrektoys.com/micro/)'ll serve for the time being :cool:
vt
np: dennis mccarthy, "kirk's death" from ST: Generations score ;)

britcit3
08-22-2001, 01:32 PM
Evenin' all,

I think that not everybody knows that the forum has moved.

I know that I didn't until GSJ emailed me!

Cheers

BC3

good shot jansen
08-22-2001, 01:39 PM
btw, vt, when you next speak to your pal, tokyo joe, see if he has any info on this (http://www.hlj.com/xwing.html). it's awsome! the article also mentions something about a tie fighter!!! i was doing a google search for tsukuda hobby, when i stumbled upon this x-wing. if possible, i would love one!

Grif
08-22-2001, 03:46 PM
I have not been posting as much because I do not want to get addicted to this new forums.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
08-22-2001, 11:28 PM
I'd have to agree with Fulit. It seems that Micro Machines have all but disappeared from the shelves from local stores and all the questions or points that I did have, have been exhausted or answered. I guess I am running out of things to say. But on a brighter note, I found a Toyfare Dagobah X-wing for 10 buckaroos and an AF Flash Speeder for $5 at a Flea Market last Sunday :D But pretty much all of my collecting efforts have shifted to POTJ for the time being (until the next wave of MM comes out).

JediTricks
08-23-2001, 12:40 AM
Boy, that X-wing model is fantastic, I wish the Action Fleet one looked like that! Wow, do I feel like a sell-out for saying that.

Anyway, I can see where it'd feel kinda like MM is a non-discussion anymore because of the lack of product, but I personally have not been posting in here lately because I've been busy moderating these forums and other stuff. But I actually have been seeing a lot more interest in MMs from other folks lately, so we should start more conversations, like why SOMEONE better start some new Trek MMs soon or my head is going to implode.

Good finds LBC! $10 for that X-wing is less than retail!

good shot jansen
08-23-2001, 11:20 AM
have we a grass roots ground swell on our hands?

we always knew that galoob was da dope, and the potwhatever wuz whack! bout time people started realizing that mm's is where it's at!

i keep trying to goad xuff,foc, and boba fett into coming over here from xanthra, but in less you wanna talk in the 3rd person all the time, and blow each other up, (or slice a limb, decapitate, etc...etc...) they don' wanna play. :rolleyes:

the more people's we get's over here, to keep mm's alive, the better chance we might have in seeing this line continued!!!!:)

vulcantouch
08-23-2001, 12:40 PM
TOONTO sucked. it was always lame- except, of course, when i created the "toonces the driving cat" persona and drove em all offa cliff, that is :)

good shot jansen
08-23-2001, 01:32 PM
i always wondered, who initiated alpha beta storm?

of course if ya gotta kill me after tellin' me, then i don't gotta know that bad!:eek:

as fer what tooto became, i agree, it took on a lame persona rather quickly, however, as i recall, i was amused with the threads original premis, do you open your toys?, and how it was cleverly done in a 12 step program settin'.

vulcantouch
08-23-2001, 01:49 PM
storm alpha, storm beta (apr. and sept '99, respectively)
mandant: "enabran tain" (actual identity to be disclosed only on aforementioned kill/tell basis :eek: )
executor: moi :cool:

RJarvis
08-23-2001, 03:57 PM
Wow...GSJ...I didn't think that anyone actually remembered TOONTO, much less how it started...Although it became something far different from what I intended, it was fun for a while...

brings a tear to my old eye to think that somebody still remembers...

:)

Ross W. Jarvis

good shot jansen
08-23-2001, 04:24 PM
where ya been keepin yourself of late?

tawk about a ghost from x-mas past (any of you toontonites start singin' carols, your gonna get such a pinch) :p

i completely forgot it wuz you who started that roller coaster off and running!

welcome to the new and improved ssg. as we are the only ongoing, always something fun to tawk about, mm based (well sometimes loosely) and all things sw/st galoob chat room (well at least the only one which counts)(imho):p , why's doncha sit a spell, and join in on a regular basis?

we'd be honored if you would join us.

i don't know how often you check in (i do recall you postin' something about a year ago) but as it has now been nearly two years since the destruction of the buzz, and we is still goin' strong, you might wanna think about makin' this your waterin' hole.:)

anyway, great to hear from you (and in such timely fashion i might add), as you can tell, we wuz jes tawkin' bout your baby!(which of course leads me to believe that although you don't chat much, you do stop in and hover about, just to see what might be cookin)

britcit3
08-23-2001, 06:02 PM
Toonto? - Que?

BC3

jeddah
08-24-2001, 06:15 AM
To Open Or Not Too Open = the acronym TOONTO. It was an old long thread; an institution for some of the old BBers on the old Galoob board. Some of us were never visitors but VT invented a c-frequenter of the TOONTO thread called Toonces, a cat that allowed us to kill off anyone in the thread by a car crashing off a cliff at the end of the post. Altho’ Toonces appearances were infrequent – can’t remember who held the password for his appearances, this - it was all VT’s brainchild.

Oh, the original point of the thread was to discuss the pros and cons of opening your mms/afs or not. It shortly descended into role playing - a few BBers who never posted to any other threads squatting exclusively in the TOONTO thread.

Not being into fanfic and rpg meself, I think I only visited once when I killed off JT (RandyRanger) by accident. There are rumours that my Glamour may’ve been seen in there recently

No doubt someone after me will post something more accurate. You know facts don’t sit well with us arty types. Besides this is like 3 years ago so…

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 10:56 AM
OMG! First a TOONTO mention and then Ross? What next, someone complaining that JKF isn't on enough? VT insulting everybody and everything in posts longer than your arm? Military Buzz Boarders coming in and saying how stupid we all are for liking Star Wars? ;)

I miss the buzz board, friggin' Hasbro!!!

jeddah
08-24-2001, 11:01 AM
LOL - I just remembered the military buzzers! They DID, didn't they! Always coming in, disgorging some unintelligible yabber about nomansland and the superiority of military AFs and then just bugger off somewhere for a few weeks. I used to laugh my socks off :)

It was funny. :D

Poor Swaffy must'ev been in an awful quandary - as a military AF collector - about the unorthodox hit n fade 'tactics' of the plunderers ;)

jeddah

Baal
08-24-2001, 02:04 PM
All that stuff back at the BB, was some of the funniest things I've ever had the pleasure of being a part of.
I'm still trying to get ToyScrapper to come say hi to VT.
And Toonces was the best ever.
I can't believe no one has ever seen the SNL skit with Toonces as Arnold Schwartzen, Schwartzin, well you know who, it was called "The Tooncinator"
Well anyways, I'm here.
Let the screaming begin.
Baal
]};{>

Friend of Clam
08-27-2001, 01:42 AM
God I hate this place. It probably doesn't even censor CHEESE.

NOTE to GSJ (as you'll probably only read this far): I do NOT plan on making a habit of posting. I merely checked to see where you'd gone and after seeing this had to set the record straight.

Xuff and I try to rarely post in 3rd person on his BuzzBoard (http://www.xanthra.com/bbs1), but with BF there's just no other way sometimes. That board was intended first as a nostalgic location to be used soley for mm and sw discussion (as opposed to this over crowded/ over topical hell). Restarting the TOONTO was secondary (as it existed as an escape from the heated debates or lack of activity - plus neither Xuff nor I felt we had the proper authority to really restart it as Ross, Rich, Eclipse, and even R2-MO were the principle "moderators").

A clarification of the "To Open Or Not To Open" thread (archived here (http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/toonto)): This thread was probably one of the longest and most unique threads on the board in which people assumed the role of people in an OA meeting (Openers Annoymous for those collectors who can't resist the urge to open products as beautiful as Galoob mm's). Lasting for about 2.5 years it had three main phases. The first phase, "The RomanGalactic Empire," began with the second post as Ben "Caesar" George declared himself Emperor. A battle of sophisticated nature ensued as people opted to become his advisor or score a redhead from Purple Dave's Planet of the Redheads. With the only true violence caused by Callista and Boba Fett as they could not come up with non-violent ways of showing their dislike of "Caesar" (and his retalliations) a trial for Boba Fett ensued (unfortunately this, and all other semi-related threads were lost). The notorious second phase, "The Bob Empire," for which most people began to despise this thread, consisted of a war between BOB CATHTY (aka Bob Cathey) and Boba Fett over Bob's way of writing one thosand as 1.000 instead of 1,000. Lacking all intelligence this phase ended under Richard Krueger's mind-nubbingly boring (though non-violent, sensical, and much needed) guidance (and RPG, also lost). The third phase, The Parody, began as Giordi Laforge and I (Friend of Clam) started as an immature race to ditch "Newbie" status and make names for ourselves (as far as I'm concerned I won). As this wore on a star wars parody developed which caused the thread to almost double in size. The phase ended with Boba Fett (now Thoth hotep) going overboard (again) and alienating Darth Maul before going into Board-wide mourning.

Though not the main feature of that board, it certainly gave it a sense of personality this board lacks (I blame it more on the every-post-at-once format). I also prefered it to the myriad of bring back stmm's posts.

If you wish to respond to this or would like more information please take it to the Xanthra (http://www.xanthra.com/bbs1) or my E-Mail address (basketweavingclam@yahoo.com) as I do not wish to return here.

Friend of Clam
08-27-2001, 01:45 AM
OH MY GOD, HOW CAN YOU CALL THIS HOME WHEN CHEESE ISN'T CENSORED!?!?!

good shot jansen
08-27-2001, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Friend of Clam
OH MY GOD, HOW CAN YOU CALL THIS HOME WHEN CHEESE ISN'T CENSORED!?!?! :rolleyes:

done!

:p

btw, welcome to ssg ya big palooka!

np: emerson lake and palmer - karn evil 9, 1st movement 2nd part

welcome back my friends to the show that never ends

vulcantouch
08-28-2001, 12:43 AM
. . .doesn't mean you gotta skulk away all Mad :rolleyes:
i agree with you that the key word to describe the xanthra reincarnation is "nostalgic". i.e. No Longer Relevant :p
to answer jdah's wonderin, actually Several of you possessed the key to the tooncemobile at one time or another; i passed the password among a number of you so you could all take a lethal spin behind that wheel, whether or not you were familiar with the original snl toonces premise (a cat who could drive a car. . .just not very well) :)
baal: i know about tooncinator, but who's toyscrapper again? someone you've kept in touch with from the galooBB?
vt
np: toonces theme song

good shot jansen
08-29-2001, 05:19 PM
........over at the buzz board, i direct you to The BBS 1 Political Debate Forum (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Meteor/7109/Column.html), mr. touch is in typical form, wielding his words as a jedi master would handle the light saber.

mr. touch exhibits in these direct, point and counterpoint thrusts why he is the bane to all scalpers and hypocrites who inhabit the mm space world.

unfortunately the horizontal scroll control for this lively debate has been lost in a black hole somewhere, and to properly view it without giving up in frustrated angst, it is recommended that the entire text be selected, copied and then pasted (using paste special and then selecting unformatted text) into your favorite word processor. i've tried this out in both word and word perfect, and it works just fine.

since his banning back in 98 from the buzz board, mr. touch was the publisher, editor, writer, and copy boy of the bbanned vt update e-mails which i am sure if interested, mr. touch would be more than happy to provide upon request.

enjoy!:D

vulcantouch
08-30-2001, 11:20 AM
but gsj neglects to mention that, though the conflict was sincere enough, it was also being strategically flared to serve a larger purpose. knowing that May undrcut some of its subsequent breathtaking force :eek:
but hey, if it's the God Of Fire of old you seek, might dig this (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/002946.html) :)
vt
np: elvis, "burnin love"

SWAFMAN
09-01-2001, 01:03 PM
GAWD DAYUM - I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!

btw - Jeddah, re: "Poor Swaffy must'ev been in an awful quandary - as a military AF collector - about the unorthodox hit n fade 'tactics' of the plunderers....." I wish I'd been more involved in the forum back then. It sounds like it was lively, to say the least. I only posted a few times to the BuzzBoard, but read it a lot. Say, as long as you're reading this (maybe?), can you clear-up a translation problem for me? I just watched the movie "Snatch" - loved it!!!! It reminded me of a cross between Peter Sellers' "After the Fox" and Tarantino's "Reservoir Dogs." But can you explain something for me (like EVERYTHING Brad Pitt said in the entire movie?????????????? -- just kidding
;) ), no really, is a "pikey" slang for a gypsy? Does England really have gypsies? I mean, like, Romanian or eastern european nomadic bands of con-artists roaming around the land? Brad Pitt's character didn't look or sound eastern european!

britcit3
09-01-2001, 01:24 PM
In fact, there is a semi-permanent camp about 2 miles from where I live in North Lancashire and literally hundreds of them pass through my town.

Forget the old romantic notion of Romany travellers - most UK gypsies (including Brads Pikey Mikey) are Irish tinkers.

I have personally had several bad experiences with these folk - like when I was managing a hotel and a gypsy wedding was booked - they caused about £22,000.00 worth of damage and the staff had to remove several human faeces from the carpet - lovely job.

BC3

britcit3
03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
bump....

soz couldn't resist ;p

BC3

sergiurusu
03-27-2010, 02:10 AM
Unfortunately things have changed...

RJarvis
03-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Unfortunately things have changed...

yes...yes they have :sad:

Ross

JediTricks
03-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow, golden shovel award to this thread!