PDA

View Full Version : No wonder I spend so much on gas!!

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2006, 03:02 PM
And I thought it was just because of the high price!!

CHICAGO - Want to spend less at the pump? Lose some weight. That's the implication of a new study that says Americans are burning nearly 1 billion more gallons of gasoline each year than they did in 1960 because of their expanding waistlines. Simply put, more weight in the car means lower gas mileage.

Using recent gas prices of $2.20 a gallon, that translates to about $2.2 billion more spent on gas each year.

"The bottom line is that our hunger for food and our hunger for oil are not independent. There is a relationship between the two," said University of Illinois researcher Sheldon Jacobson, a study co-author.

"If a person reduces the weight in their car, either by removing excess baggage, carrying around less weight in their trunk, or yes, even losing weight, they will indeed see a drop in their fuel consumption."

The obesity rate among U.S. adults doubled from 1987 to 2003, from about 15 percent to more than 30 percent. Also, the average weight for American men was 191 pounds in 2002 and 164 pounds for women, about 25 pounds heavier than in 1960, government figures show.

The study's conclusions are based on those weight figures and Americans' 2003 driving habits, involving roughly 223 million cars and light trucks nationwide.

The estimates "are probably pretty reliable," said Larry Chavis,an economist at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. "I don't know if it's going to encourage anybody to go out and lose weight to save gasoline, but even for individual families, it could have an effect on their budget."

JimJamBonds
10-26-2006, 03:26 PM
What I'd like to know is how much tax money was wasted on this study.

2-1B
10-26-2006, 09:16 PM
I heard this on the news this morning and they estimated that 100 pounds in the car would equal about $40 per year...

JetsAndHeels
10-26-2006, 10:17 PM
I heard this on the news this morning and they estimated that 100 pounds in the car would equal about $40 per year...

That means I am spending 160 a year :)

LTBasker
10-26-2006, 10:29 PM
Well don't I feel guilty. Man. I'm gonna go blow $500 on some exercise equipment right now so I can save about $40 (assuming I'm overweight by 100 pounds) a year and not feel like a gas guzzling jerk anymore.

I assume it's ok to be in shape and drive a hummer or escalade though?

plasticfetish
10-26-2006, 10:44 PM
There we go, yet another reason not to store a corpse in your trunk. (Time for another trip to the river now I suppose.) :dead:

InsaneJediGirl
10-26-2006, 11:48 PM
I think you posted this just because it mentioned UNC :p I cant see how my extra fat has that much of an impact,but if the goverment wants to look at it postively,its $40 less that you have less to spend on food lol :D :D