PDA

View Full Version : Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Kidhuman
10-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Anyone else reading this book? I am finding it pretty interesting. Although I stay away from most EU, I like the pre-prequel stuff because its basically up for grabs in the story telling. What did/do you think of this book?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2006, 10:31 PM
As is often the case for me, I am waiting for it to come to my local library. So, I'll remain spoiler-free until I start/finish it. I look forward to completing you trai- er, reading it (must be coming under the influence of the Dark Side.

OC47150
10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
I saw it at the bookstore yesterday for the first time. The dust cover intro sounded interesting.

Like Bel-Cam, I might see if my library is getting a copy.

Kidhuman
10-30-2006, 09:26 PM
I just finished the book and thought it was quite good. A solid story all around. Would reccomend it to you guys. When someone else is finished we can discuss it a bit. I dont want to spoil it for everyone.

Tycho
11-15-2006, 06:57 AM
I'm reading it now. There are several options:

we can use foeded text to discuss it

those that haven't finished this book can stay out of the thread until they've read it

the forum moderator can add "spoilers" to the title of the thread to warn folks

and remember, I have only gotten to Chapter 2 - I started reading this nary a few minutes ago.

I just looked up the title in these forums because I just loved the beginning and the fight in the mine and that bite that Dessel took out of crime ;) Hehe.

Tycho
11-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I'm going to start discussing spoilers. I haven't finished reading even the first 7 chapters yet, but this book is really good.

Drew S. is a very talented author! I'm liking how the story is unfolding already and he has a very good grasp of the Star Wars EU of this era.

I love the arguments about who is justified in their objectives in the war - the Jedi and the Republic, or the Sith - and also how the breakdown of the fighters splits quite naturally between the Core Worlds and the Outer Rim.

What a great understanding of the Star Wars universe by this author!

Kidhuman
11-20-2006, 07:10 AM
The breakdown of the war was great. It almost made ya feel like joining the Sith in their plight. I dont think you have gotten to the war scene by your last post yet, but that was some bad arsed shooting by Des.

Tycho
11-20-2006, 11:55 AM
When he took out the lookouts on the gunships at the Republic watchtower?

Yeah, that was cool.

I'm at the point where he's training on Korriban and he just used the Force to kill that other Sith Apprentice, he's been threatened by one of the top proteges, an Iridonian Zabrack*, and he's being called before the Dark Lords.

I love how he got the name Bane, by the way, and how the tradition was started (for the Sith Lords to take new names for themselves). Also the explanation for why practicing the Sith arts was a crime in the Republic.

Yes, all the reasons why Des joins the Sith are perfectly logical. It does make you angry and fire you up to join the Dark Side! Great author!

*I wish Star Wars authors would choose less obvious aliens for their characters sometimes. Darth Maul was an Iridonian Zabrack and having another one at the Sith Academy, even 4,000 years before, must be smoothed over so that it would finally make Palpatine's choice as an apprentice traditional, instead of unrealistically coincidental. "Drew" does use his own alien species - I can't fault him for that. Bane's initial rival - the first Sith apprentice he killed, was some kind of horned reptilian species. But since a Zabrack has already been prominently featured in a movie as a Sith Lord (Maul), why not choose a Gotal, a Saurin, a Givin - something not used before. I think the Zabrack choice panders to the Maul-rats. But like I said, in another book, at another time, if Palpatine chose a Zabrack because of some Sith history or tradition, then OK.

But next thing you know, they'll be riding TaunTauns...:rolleyes:

We'll see how this will work out.

The First Battle of Ruusan was described well. I thought Kopecz was too fat to imagine him as a fighter pilot. He's illustrated a lot in the Jedi vs. Sith comics that document the Last Battle of Ruusan, you know. But heh, who am I to question one with the Dark Side? The use of a Twi'lek is pretty good and it's also pretty logical why Ryloth, a Rim planet, would side with the Sith anyway. In every Star Wars instance, they've wound up Anti-Core to their core. Ryloth is a harsh world.

Anyway, so far I really like this book.

Tycho
11-21-2006, 04:03 AM
Drew does an amazing job describing the impact Githany has on Bane when she arrives at the Sith Academy. I love how sensual she's described, and how she is so cunning at making use of her gifts. She is exactly what I suspect of most attractive women!

Meanwhile, before Bane initiates his "only 2 rule," it's so awkward seeing how the Sith train much like the Jedi, with an Academy and apprentice class, etc. It's exciting to watch Bane come up in this system, and know that in the end he is going to reject all of it and restart the Sith from scratch.

There's also some tantilizing clues as to the origin of the title "Darth" and how Bane adapts it.

And notice the flawless transition from the character we started out with as Des, to Bane and Darth Bane that he'll become. You feel like you know both Des and Bane intimately.

This is such a cool book!

Kidhuman
11-21-2006, 06:33 AM
Githany was a great character. She is such a b**ch too. She plays everyone she comes in contact with. Bane seeking the "origin" of the Sith is cool. My second favorite character has to be the combat teacher. (K-something, for got how to spell it)

Tycho
11-21-2006, 09:09 AM
I don't know if you've bought or read the Jedi Vs. Sith comics, but you can see Githany, Bane, Kiel Charny, Lord Hoth, Kaan, Kopcez and a lot of the others, including a young girl, Zannah (Rain), who might've become Darth Bane's first apprentice after the only-2 rule.

Kas'im is the Twi'lek Sith Lord that was most directly Bane's immediate Master. The other Twi'lek Kopcez sponsored him originally. They were silent rivals of Qordis, the presumably human, "Sidious-like" character that ran the Sith Academy.

Drew Karpyshyn in the author (I finally have the book in front of me while I'm posting). He didn't create a lot of these characters - Dark Horse Comics did. But it is so great to see them fleshed out as mostly novels can - though much more in the comics is told from the Jedi point of view.

In the comics, 3 kids who's culture has them using nicknames, Bug, Tomcat, and a girl, Rain, are taken by the Jedi to be trained by fire on Ruusan. The Jedi took many as younglings, as had been the custom back then, but they threw them into a war zone in this case.

The kids were all cousins, orphaned in the war actually. The two boys were rivals and it ends up that Tomcat defects to the Sith and Githany starts to train him. Bug stays with Kiel Charny and the two ex-lovers and their cousin-turned-enemy apprentices (unofficial apprentices to be sure) all confront each other.

Lord Kaan comes up with that thought-bomb idea, to wipe out the Jedi in the Force itself, but it will also wipe out the Brotherhood of Darkness along with it, but Kaan gets desperate and if he can't have victory, neither will the Jedi.

It is 3,000 years later that Kyle Katarn (Dark Forces lore) releases the Jedi and Sith spirits trapped by Kaan's treachery.

Darth Bane never goes along with Kaan's plan and takes care of himself and abandons the Brotherhood of Darkness. Githany's killed in the crossfire. I believe the young child Rain kills Kiel Charny before Kaan unleashes "unlimited power." Bane is impressed and takes Rain with him. She tells him her real name is Zannah.

It's a good comic, but it's hardly been one of my favorites until now. When I finish this novel, it certainly deserves another reading!

- And because I know from experience of the struggle to get original Star Wars work published, it is very rare to see a novel, especially a promoted hardback, written up around a different author's characters - from the comics nevertheless!

Darth Jax
11-21-2006, 11:49 AM
you obviously haven't gotten to the end of the book yet tycho, but with as much as you enjoyed the comics. you'll like the way the book ends.

El Chuxter
11-21-2006, 11:54 AM
This has been sitting on my shelf since it arrives. I was so burned out by the sheer stupidity of the Legacy comics and novels that I've not been ready to tackle a possibly disappointing novel without any main characters. Sounds like everyone likes it, though, so I'll get on it soon.

Kidhuman
11-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I liked it and think you will too.

DJ, I do believe you are right about Tycho liking the end of it.

Darth Jax
11-21-2006, 02:20 PM
it seems that post ROTJ novels (except for most of zahn's work) really isn't that good. the pre-ROTJ stuff is much better cause the authors can detail a story but the final outcomes need to match what comes later in the movies.

i enjoyed this one much more than i thought i might.

Tycho
11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I can't put it down. I'm merely taking a break as I brace myself for the inevitable Master-Apprentice fight that is coming.

Darn these characters were handled so well. I think that I'm sort of familiar with them from the Jedi Vs. Sith comics add to my ease with which I accept and appreciate this story.

It is also one of the best Star Wars books I've read in a very long time.

Tycho
11-22-2006, 10:41 AM
I finished Darth Bane: Path of Destruction!

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Did I mention I liked it?

The story finished EXACTLY spot on with the comic IMO. There were no surprises in the ending, but it really fleshed out the story told by Dark Horse very well.

I'm much more fond of that era in Star Wars history now, though Farfalah gets on my nerves.

That General Hoth (the planet was named after him!) knowingly went in and attacked in the face of the Thought Bomb with Jedi volunteers (and how it was described) was incredible. I'm all the more appreciative of Kyle Katarn for releasing them, as well. I think I'll re-read that Dark Forces graphic novel as a matter of fact.

Drew Karpyshyn has come up as one of my favorite Star Wars authors in spite of their only being a single book by him. This one is worth it!

Wow! Enjoy reading this if you get the chance.

Kidhuman
11-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I thought General Hoth was a funny name also. I kept thinking about AT-AT's everytime his name appeared.

Tycho
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
I take it that some Republic expeditionary team discovered the ice planet sometime after the Last Battle of Ruusan, and the world was named in his honor, as it was as unyeilding as he was.

Darth Jax
11-22-2006, 08:06 PM
was the planet named Hoth in ESB or is that what we've all just assumed and it's become the planet Hoth by consensus? didn't they refer to the Hoth system aboard the bridge of the star destroyer with Vader?

Tycho
11-22-2006, 08:38 PM
A system can be named for its star or main planet.

Our star is called Sol, thus the solar system.

Terra means earth. In Star Trek, our system is often called the Terran System by alien species.

I don't think there's one authority on an official process for naming systems. So the planet might've been called Hoth, or it could have been called Klondike.

That line would sound odd though: "General Veers: prepare to land you men behind the Klondike Bar!"

OC47150
12-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Finished it this morning. Very good. Tycho was right: it was hard to put down.

Liked character's transformation from Des to Darth Bane. He had to lose himself to find himself.

I would've liked to have read more about the campaigns on Ruusan. From the setup, it read similar to WWI-style fighting: win an acre, lose an acre.

Farfalla reminded me too much of a pretty boy, more of a Lord of the Rings character than Star Wars with his armor and looks.

I hope this isn't the last we read of Bane.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
The paperback on this one is now out. Usually, the add-in story has been an e-book related to the main book, but this one goes back to a chapter (or part of one) an upcoming novel. Based on the excerpt of Death Star in the paperback, that book looks good; in about only 10 pages or so, it mentioned Tarkin, Vader, Motti, Daala, the Rebels! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
12-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Awesome book, I read through all the comments and couldn't agree more with them. A great fast read too, I didn't want to put it down. The sequel comes out after Christmas so I'm looking forward to checking that out as well. Darth Bane The Rule of Two. :thumbsup:

Tycho
12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Yeah, it's a great time for Darth Bane's fans, as the figure with removeable head cage is coming out in the Evolutions line and "Dressel?" looks downright cool there as well.

This was one of the best Star Wars books I read in a long time!

DarthQuack
12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Checked out the new book today in B&N today....I'll get it tomorrow with an xmas gift card...looks good though. Any other takers? I also finished up Heir to the Empire, now on to Dark Force Rising.

Tycho
12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Darth Bane is a really good book.

The HTTE stuff is great, too. You're reading the good ones.

jediguy
01-13-2008, 04:14 PM
I've read Path to Destruction, and Rule of Two, and I enjoyed them both
I don't know anything about the dark horse comics, so I was surprised to read here that most of the characters were someone else's creation

Tycho
01-15-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually, this stuff traces itself back to Kyle Katarn and the Dark Forces video game series.

In a graphic novel - a book with pictures, not a comic trade paperback - Kyle Katarn is described as going back to the planet Ruusan some time around "Return of the Jedi." He releases the trapped Force-essence of all the Jedi and Sith who fought there like 1,000 years before.

To tell that story, the Jedi vs. Sith comic was created, which described Lord Khan vs. the Jedi LORD Hoth (I take it the Jedi got power-hungry or inspired in this manner as well - or Hoth had a provincial title like Count Dooku). Dressel (Darth Bane) served under Lord Khan, but vehemently disagreed with him and sought to destroy him - as what ultimately happened in a sense - with Khan destroying himself.

Both the above stories had different authors: Dietz and Darco Macan respectively I think.

The new Darth Bane stuff that begins with Dressel's early life and explores his Sith training goes back further than that, but actually turns out to be the best installments yet.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2008, 05:29 PM
My local library still ain't got a copy yet. Don't matter, as I am in the middle (technically the first 1/3 :rolleyes: ) of final exams, so ain't gonna be readin' nothing soon. Cain't you tell I's in the rite frame of mine to grade student essays? :lipsrsealed:

Banthaholic
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Finished RoT tonight and it was awesome! It wrapped up some Jedi vs Sith story line nicely, and included some other SW arcs from other EU sources. Worth picking up IMO.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm a bit over halfway finished. Once it got to the "10 Years Later" part, it got better. Too lame in the let's-complete-that-Jedi vs. Sith-comics-series beginning, for me. Migth get this book done by the weekend. I expect to have plenty of time tomorrow to read from 3-7 PM PST. [whisper, whisper] What?!? That game is tomorrow?!? :D

Tycho
02-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Well since there are only 2, The Sith are better at Tennis than Football. :D

-ancient wisdom found in Darth Rivers' holocron but thus far ignored by Darth Brady's Brotherhood of Perfection.

And it's funny because I wanted to do an EU tie-in story for Dark Horse back in the day, and they were suggesting that Lucasfilm didn't think tying up all the continuity was the priority here.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Darth Bane: Rule of Two
Well, this was a groaner to start with, but I really liked it about halfway through. I figured out how it'd end, but I still enjoyed the dialogue and descriptions (a little graphic with the death and injury scenes, eh Drew? :rolleyes: ).

Tycho
02-09-2008, 07:42 AM
I finished Darth Bane RULE OF TWO this morning and I really liked it.

Drew is a good author.

I did NOT see the ending coming when Zannah called the Jedi in. There were so many possibilities, one being that she'd take Darovit as her new apprentice, though he was weak.

I also had wondered about that guy on Serreno (Dooku's future homeworld, btw) and the whole Separatist thing.

A lot of good red-herrings made the story twist and stay unpredictable and kept you reading.

Also the obelisks thing growing on Darth Bane was really well-explained. Nice job.

The whole story was really inspired by characters the author didn't create but borrowed from Darco Macan's Dark Horse Comic (Jedi vs. Sith) but Drew did a wonderful job. When I wrote for Dark Horse, I tried to do that in reverse and put novel characters into the comics to fill in the continuity that way. Lucasfilm said they didn't really want to seek out stuff to just smoothe over the continuity at the time (1999-2000). This seems to backpeddle on that decision.

I was encouraged to write my own original work - which I did - though it is historical fiction and not in this genre. I don't know if I'll ever be able to write for Star Wars, but it's less my priority now as I have my own stories (non-sci-fi) that I want to tell.

Still, I'd like to write Darth Plageuis if James Luceno isn't doing that.

Meanwhile, Drew (I can't spell his last name without the book in front of me) is very good!