PDA

View Full Version : American History X

Tycho
10-27-2006, 07:49 PM
This is an excellent movie, but I think a point it makes is lost if you are too politically correct and don't address the issues.

I don't think race versus race crime nor crime within any race should be committed - nor should political maneuvering be used to demote any race.

Affirmative action is a temporary necessity I'll put up with - for blacks. In 1865 slavery was officially ended. In 1965, (100 years later) protests led to real enforcement of civil rights and steps taken to level the playing field. If affirmative action is voted to end (the vote occuring today) and the ending set for 2065, that should put an end to the injustice debate. Why? A generation is usually demarkated as every 30 years. There is room for 3 generations to save their money, grow their assets, and move up in social and economic circles from 1965 to 2065. Sure there are prejudices now (I admittedly hold some), but through time, I think much of that will go away with each new generation.

I also agree that promotion based on race quotas - like the example of the hiring of firemen that it is revealed had ticked off the father in AMERICAN HISTORY X, is unfair and could even be dangerous.

I think that it was a travesty that Eddie Furlong's character was murdered at the end of the movie - but predictable in light of all the stereotyping that is done in the film, and the predictions one can make from just looking around honestly at society.

The points the White Supremicists make in the film are very real. Only someone trying to be politically correct for the sake of their own self-propogated image is going to argue contrary. However, the Supremecists stereotype ALL non-whites as being responsible for the challenges facing mixed and majority-varied-ethnic communities.

They ignore characters like Sweeny (Avery Brooks, who was awesome in his role) and the contributions someone like himself can make if they had the chance - or even the black guy working the laundry in the prison that saved Ed Norton's character from likely being killed by the black prison gang.

Race is a difficult issue to deal with and there is no clear answer. Being all politically correct is not it - though neither is being some form of racial supremicist or another. Prejudices and stereotypes are not wrong in and of themselves either - acting poorly based on those prejudices and stereotypes as your excuses is what's wrong. Any misconceptions about someone based on a group with which they belong, is not the fault of that individual, unless they themselves are propogating it. I'm not sure how anyone can be responsible for the actions of their whole race - or actually even their own children (I'm sure it's not easy) - but they can rest in peace if they are doing their best anyway.

Rocketboy
10-27-2006, 11:19 PM
I don't remember much about this movie, except that I was really disappointed after how amazing I had heard it was. Very overrated.

Jayspawn
10-31-2006, 11:22 AM
I dont think its overrated at all. Under in fact. Very powerful. Furlong getting murdered in the end was the icing on the cake. This is Edward Norton's best acting.

Great acting by Ethan Suplee (Fat Seth). He's lost a bunch of weight since then but it was a great, stand-out role for him.

2-1B
11-01-2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, just compare Ethan Suplee in American History X vs. Remember the Titans...really amazing how different the characters are and the way he plays them. Good acting work in AHX, I agree.