PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Touch Headstone

vulcantouch-mom
10-28-2006, 01:17 AM
This is to let y'all know a headstone has been ordered and the final layout should be as shown.

I hope I got the avatar color correctly, JT, your design will greet the Colorado sunrise. This should be ready in about 6 months. When it's finished, I'll get pictures and post them on the SNAPFISH album and will be sure to make it available to anyone who's interested, if I haven't posted enough to include the URL.

I'm still waiting to get out the boxes, except for Mothman, whose box flew to the UK, this morning.

G'nite, everyone:sleeping:

VT-Mom

sergiurusu
10-28-2006, 01:57 AM
Jean's Headstone is beautiful! It makes the visitors remember what a great person he was...

vulcantouch-mom
10-28-2006, 02:04 AM
I'm pleased with the way this will finish out, though it's not the one originally chosen, as you know. However, considering the difference in cost and where the funding came from, I'm sincerely thankful to have this for my son. Your collection items should be arriving shortly. I'm most anxious to know they've arrived safe and sound.

Your friend,

vulcan-touch mom :) :) :)

2-1B
10-28-2006, 09:49 AM
That looks wonderful, VTMom. :) You are doing a great job. :)

It looks like the design has 2007 in it though, hopefully that's already been corrected in the proof?

Kidhuman
10-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Very lovely headstone VTMom.

vulcantouch-mom
10-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Mom and I are sitting here - I showed it to her as she was sleeping, when I got it ready and posted here. We are just amazed and grateful that you noticed it. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, perhaps this is how I'd miss errors when I typed?!?lol I've always been one who can't see the forest for the trees - and now, I'm looking at the wrong tree:eek: !

I shall correct that immeeeeeeeejatly and e-mail the mortuary.

Tenk yew veddy much!

vulcan touch-mom:o :thumbsup:

vulcantouch-mom
10-28-2006, 11:55 AM
Thank you, KidHuman. I've shared your compliment w/Mom.:love:

Tootles:yes:

Vulcan Touch-mom :) :) :)

2-1B
10-28-2006, 01:09 PM
No problem VTMom, we have a habit of catching typos around here and it sometimes even leads to a good teasing between ourselves. See bobafrett's "redeculous" thread for just one of many examples. :grin:

That really is a fitting tribute you've come up with there, though. I am in complete "agreeance" with kidhuman. :yes:

vulcantouch-mom
10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Where would I be without yous guys :yes: . I've e-mailed the mortuary and now they know the third "7" in the sequence. He left on August 7 - rests at Section 67, Block 18, Lot 5, Grave 7 and now 2007 is shown as the year he died. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm? Why can't I get my font to go back to the teeny-tiny one?!?:(

Well, we're going for a bit of a ride - it's sunny, clear and supposed to get to 62 today.

See y'all later, Caesar :yes:

VT-mom :) :) :)

JediTricks
10-28-2006, 11:44 PM
It looks very nice. The design at the top appears to be in sync with how he asked me to put his avatar together, the color looks just like the one he chose for the design - originally it was whatever color the materials he had on hand were, white from stamps or blue from pen ink, but that's the purple he had me go with on his avatar, he was pretty specific about it :). Thanks for sharing this Carolyn, hope you and the family are doing well.

vulcantouch-mom
10-29-2006, 07:22 AM
I was curious about that. Thanks for your kind words, JT, they mean a lot, especially as you'd put it together for him and wanted your approval of it looking correct. I'd never worked w/pixels before and, after struggling with my very basic PAINT, getting a messy image I worked on for over an hour--accidentally enlarged the purple copy/paste image and saw it could be done that way. How did the design come to be? Was he thinking of something specific? Somewhere here, I have the design he often used on restaurant tickets. I'll have to scan it, when it shows up, - it's neat. There's a combination of an open-centered cross with a circle, I believe, at the center, and 4 arcs (like little eyelashes) placed almost like an "s" shape would appear, if memory serves. I admired it whenever I saw it.

It's just past 5AM and I'm gonna re-heat my "Bed Buddy" (long sock-type thing w/pellets inside that get nuked) and put it back between my shoulderblades. I'm going to retY-uh to the dy-VAN for a bit more rest. I'm regressing to the 'chicken-lady' stage (up w/the chikin's:D ).

Thanks again, JediTricks:yes:

vulcantouch-mom :) :cross-eye :zzz:

JediTricks
10-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Yours came out fine, I'm just sorry to hear it gave you so much trouble to create.

I don't remember why Jean wanted it purple exactly, but he originally referred to it as "blue-VioleT" so it could be as simple as the initials - he had a thing for words with the "VT" initials in them. :D

I remembered that most of the discussion between VT and me about the avatar happened on the board, I was able to check the files in my computer to see when they were created, then went into my attachments listing and was able to pull up all the conversations about the avatar, Jean explained that its shape is based somewhat around the arrows on top of Boba Fett's helmet, and that you can sorta make out a "V" and a "T" in the shape as well. The conversation took place across 3 threads over several months, I'll link you to the first relevant posts in each:

I don't know the genesis of VT's logo, but the need for the avatar came to be when we moved to these VB forums in 2001 which offered custom avatars, and I was the sucker Jean knew who had photoshop and the meager skills with which to use it. ;) He put the logo on every package he sent me in one form or another, and he was especially pleased with the one he did on one package and had me translate it to a graphic. Later, after we worked out the look (you can see it happening in the threads I cited above), Jean adopted the thicker, wider look of it from the avatar on his packages.

Chicken Lady stage, would that be a la "Kids in the Hall"? :D

vulcantouch-mom
10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Thank you for the info on the avatar. I actually enjoyed working with the pixels - it gave me a whole new appreciation for what my Daughter-in-Law, Christie, goes thru when she does dolls. She does websites and themed wallpaper with multiple images, as well and produces some beautiful results.

One of the items he got, from Marilyn's collection, I believe, is a very heavy Boba Fett bust-type thing that sits out here on a drum table he used to sit next to when we watched DS9/STV and TNG. I've never seen one like it and have no idea what it was first sold for, but it's really cool. It's a bit more than 5#, is metal, I think, numbered 2518/5000 and "Legends in 3 Dimensions on the bottom. It's got a 3 1/2" disk area on top of a heavier bottom, that's got the sculptor's name and the Lucasfilm ID. I just picked it up to see what you were referring to on the helmet. BF was always his favorite, style-wise, from the time he was first seen because there was only one (well, until we saw the clones ;) ). Guess I forgot about the 30 year difference between the first SW film and "Attack of the Clones". As I was checking out prices, etc. I saw images of the original Boba Fett and wondered who he was? Different century, different actor lol .

Oh geez, Jéan T's cousin, Dennis Callaway (son of his Dad's brother-in-law's brother) took his life last night. I just got an e-mail from Steve. He's in the funeral album. I've included a gravesite photo that has him, his Mom, Barbara (Ralph's sister), his Daughter, Stephanie, and his Dad is walking to the West (Dick Callaway). One year ago, Michelle, Steve's only sister, lost her son to suicide as well. We learned that when Mom and I went to the HEARTBEAT suicide survivor's meeting last month.

Good grief! Stuff needs to settle down:shocked: .

Well, JT, I'm going to get back to work on the toys. I'm nearly finished with the Excel worksheet I'm putting together of all the unclaimed pieces. That will give me a much clearer base to work from for a final search for pieces I've yet to locate. There are 6 boxes waiting for word from their intended buyers, and still 7 boxes of unclaimed items, including those that weren't taken as originally planned. Whatever I don't move will be picked up by Mike and Laura. After that's finished, I'll be working through Jéan T's room, sifting, sorting and organizing the hundreds of books, collection pieces, artwork, audio and videotapes, CD's, DVD's, etc. I've cleared some stuff, but it will be months before I'll be able to clear it to set it up for myself. I'm in no hurry and will probably display a lot of his things as I've always shared his love of the collections, movies, art, etc. He was truly 'my' son, in so many ways.

On to the fun stuff!!:thumbsup:
vulcantouch-mom :) :) :)

JediTricks
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
"Legends in 3 Dimensions" is the company that made that Boba Fett bust, it came out in the late '90s I believe, and they only did a few pieces because there wasn't enough demand at the time for high-end Star Wars collectibles the way there is now. Here's the detail page at StarWars.com on it: http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/item-detail/6822

Did you find the little arrows on the helmet, just above the brow? I've only seen that Legends bust in stores and only a couple times, I would assume the arrows are there but I can't be totally sure. Jean often mentioned his bounty hunter nature, I'm not too surprised he dug the Boba Fett character in the original incarnation - where even Fett's smallest actions spoke volumes. :)

That's awful to hear about Jean's cousin! Shocking stuff.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help out sorting the other pieces from Marilyn's collection. Take care.

vulcantouch-mom
10-31-2006, 08:31 PM
I'd have sworn it was metal:shocked: . Yes, I see the little arrows which are the center of the avatar, aren't they? Apparently, this one is nearly at the middle of the numbered pieces. They did 1000 w/an all green rocket pack and 4000 w/the multi-colored, as this one is. Thank you for the information, JT, it helped me better appreciate why it was his favorite character.

I did locate a bigger image of the bust, itself and have included it here.

Yes, we seem to be losing young men at an alarming rate. I haven't heard back from Steve, but have asked about funeral arrangements and where they live. As I've never met them, I've no idea if they're local or not.

Well, this is nearly the end of a delightfully surprising and exhausting day. Christie got about 1/2 hour of sleep last night and asked if we could take the boys for a few hours while she tried to get some rest. Ken's back at work today (6A-6P) for the next 4 days and, between the boys having wiped themselves out playing, Ken not having gotten much sleep last night, either, their house should be emitting massive "Zzzzzzzzzz's" tonite. :silly: Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm gonna get the number of the truck that hit me:tired:.

Happy Halloween:bandit: 'trick or treat'!

VT-mom :) :) :)

JediTricks
11-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, it's cold-cast porcelain, very thick, heavy, dense, and hard which also makes it cool to the touch like metal, plus they painted it to look like metal. Metal at these pricepoints doesn't come out as nicely because it has to be thinner and the tooling costs more, and that picture you attached shows just how nice the piece is - if they had made it a few years later, it probably would have been resin instead of porcelain for fragility and cost's sake. Thanks for the scan, that bust is pretty nice, I can see why Jean wanted it, there's a lot of detail in it and they got the undersuit right, even that poofy neck collar.

The all green rocketpack is from Empire Strikes Back while the multi-colored red, yellow, orange one is from Return of the Jedi.

Yes, those are the arrows, a small detail casual fans might not notice, it's not something that even shows up well in the film, but Jean had an affinity for the hardware of Star Wars so it's not all surprising to me that he'd pick something like this to identify with. :)

Hope you got lots of sleep and had a nice Halloween. :twisted:

vulcantouch-mom
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
I remember first learning about subliminal messages from he and Ken when they were in grade school. They had fun finding the missed errors in movies, etc.

Mom forgot all about Halloween, wondering why the motion light out front kept going on, thinking it was people walking to and from the church just north across the street (where the post-funeral reception was). I didn't think anything of it and am used to her noticing everything going on outside and commenting on it, so I just let it flow right over me :yes: . Sooooooooo, this morning, we took it to my Uncle Dick, who'd arranged for us to use the meeting hall in August. He'll get it to the church to be enjoyed :thumbsup: . I did get sleep in-between the dog wanting to go out or her snoring - she's hilarious when she does that lol . It kinda comes out like an Ewok with a wheeze.

Time to snooze - tomorrow's another long day. I hope you have a terrific one, JT.

vulcantouch-mom :) :) :)

LTBasker
11-02-2006, 03:50 AM
I remembered that most of the discussion between VT and me about the avatar happened on the board, I was able to check the files in my computer to see when they were created, then went into my attachments listing and was able to pull up all the conversations about the avatar, Jean explained that its shape is based somewhat around the arrows on top of Boba Fett's helmet, and that you can sorta make out a "V" and a "T" in the shape as well.

Ya know, I never really noticed the V and T thing, I always thought the center was supposed to be an eye, like his keen-eye for finding things no one else can. I suppose it's meant to hold more than one meaning like everything else about him. :D

vulcantouch-mom
11-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Yes, LT, if you check the photo in Post #15, above you can see the <l> above the helmet eye area. J&#233;an was so creative and saw much in many things, most of us missed or may not have grasped. Probably why he got so much out of visuals, associations, etc. that stayed with him.

I'm going back to snooze a bit more. Mom's got an appointment later, and my peepers aren't ready to be perky just yet.

Tootles!

VT-mom

JediTricks
11-02-2006, 05:14 PM
Ya know, I never really noticed the V and T thing, I always thought the center was supposed to be an eye, like his keen-eye for finding things no one else can. I suppose it's meant to hold more than one meaning like everything else about him. :DThat's why it's art. :thumbsup: