PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars - Where Science Meets Imagination

Mad Slanted Powers
10-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Rocketboy posted about this exhibit over at SWC (http://www.swcollecting.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=512) a few months ago. The exhibit is in Portland, OR now, and I went to see it on October 18. My pictures aren't as good as his, but I have pictures of a few things he didn't post pictures of. I just made a quick site with iPhoto and iWeb on my iMac and posted it here (http://web.mac.com/madslantedpowers/iWeb/Star%20Wars/Star%20Wars%20at%20OMSI.html). Once there, you can either click on the individual pictures or click the Start Slideshow button.

jjreason
10-29-2006, 10:02 AM
Must have been nice to meet The Deuce - was he as cool as you thought he'd be, or was it one of those disappointing celebrity sightings that sours your opinion of that star?

Dar' Argol
10-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I traveled out to Ohio back in August to see JP and go see this in Columbus. It was a nice exhibit. Did you get a chance to go in the Falcon cockpit "ride"??

Mad Slanted Powers
10-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Must have been nice to meet The Deuce - was he as cool as you thought he'd be, or was it one of those disappointing celebrity sightings that sours your opinion of that star?I was more impressed by FX-7 next to him. The fact that 2-1B just has metal poles for legs and no feet sort of makes him less impressive. Perhaps I was slightly disappointed with the overall exhibit, but it was still cool to see some of the stuff in person. I especially would like to have a Falcon in that scale if it opened up and had an accurate interior to place my figures in. I think the Destroyer Droid was the most unexpected thing to me. The figures, films and games make it seem like it is not that tall, but this one may have been taller than me.

Yeah, I traveled out to Ohio back in August to see JP and go see this in Columbus. It was a nice exhibit. Did you get a chance to go in the Falcon cockpit "ride"??Yes, that was interesting, but probably not worth $5 just to go on it. The droid thing in the main exhibit didn't cost any extra and it was a better show. It was a bit more informative with the talk about real world robots and their functions.

I didn't bother to try much of the hands on things where you could assemble a droid or a mag-car with Lego-type parts and such. I did watch most of the videos they had next to each display. Some had behind the scenes stuff on the movie, others had descriptions of real world examples of things and environments from the movies.

bobafrett
10-29-2006, 07:00 PM
It looks very much like the exhibit that went through Chicago just after Episode I came out. I loved it so much, I went back again too see it a second time. I didn't have my digital camera then, so I don't have any of the pictures online.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I wanted to borrow my mom's digital camera, but she hasn't really figured out how to use it yet. She didn't want to take a chance on it getting lost or stolen in the big city, so she gave me a Kodak disposable camera instead. Some of the pictures are all right, but some are pretty grainy. The flash reflecting on the glass is a problem on a few of them as well. The display with the Darth Vader costume was not lit up like the others, so that might have affected that one.

Dar' Argol
10-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Yes, that was interesting, but probably not worth $5 just to go on it. The droid thing in the main exhibit didn't cost any extra and it was a better show. It was a bit more informative with the talk about real world robots and their functions.

$5!?!?!?! I didn't cost us anything, just a 1-2 hour wait in line . . . . and after a 6hr C3 line, that was nothing! I'll have to get JP here but I don't recall any kind of Droid thing . . . . . May have missed it . . .

Mad Slanted Powers
10-29-2006, 11:41 PM
$5!?!?!?! I didn't cost us anything, just a 1-2 hour wait in line . . . . and after a 6hr C3 line, that was nothing! I'll have to get JP here but I don't recall any kind of Droid thing . . . . . May have missed it . . . Yes, they charged $15 for the SW Exhibit, and $5 for the MF thing. The droid thing was about a 15 minute show. This page (http://www.omsi.org/visit/featured/starwars/swoverview.cfm) on the OMSI site calls it "Robot Object Theater Debate".

Robot Object Theater Debate
Entering a large-scale model of the rusted-steel interior of a Jawa sandcrawler, visitors meet C-3PO and (via video projection) real-world robotics engineer Cynthia Breazeal, director of the Robotic Life Group, MIT Media Lab. The robot and the roboticist debate the merits of R2-D2 and how researchers try to duplicate traits such as mobility, perception and cognition.

Edit - I only waited a few minutes for the Falcon thing, as I got to the museum at about 10:30am on a Wednesday.

JEDIpartner
10-31-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah... there was a droid thing. It was housed in something that was painted like the exterior of the Jawa Sandcrawler. I think it was one of those "wait in that line or wait in that line" sorta things. We opted for the Falcon line, which I will verify was for no charge.

Dar' Argol
10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Yeah... there was a droid thing. It was housed in something that was painted like the exterior of the Jawa Sandcrawler. I think it was one of those "wait in that line or wait in that line" sorta things. We opted for the Falcon line, which I will verify was for no charge.

Yeah, but JP, we paid $20 . . soooo maybe we were paying and didn't know it . . . . and I missed the sand crawler . . must have been when I was drooling over the Stormtrooepr armor . . . .

Mad Slanted Powers
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
The Falcon thing was in a totally different part of the museum in Portland, so I had a separate ticket to get on it. Then I went to go into the main exhibit and I mistakenly handed the Falcon ticket stub and the guy was confused. Then I was confused, thinking I used the wrong ticket on the Falcon. Then I found the right one and got everything straightened out.

JEDIpartner
11-01-2006, 12:22 PM
Okay... that post exhausted me. LOL