PDA

View Full Version : Bob Barker to retire

CaptainSolo1138
10-31-2006, 09:09 PM
How sad. (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/31/tv.bobbarker.retires.ap/index.html)

I've watched the Price is Right for the better part of my life. I remember watching it before I left for kindergarten in the afternoon, I remember watching it when I was home "sick", I remember watching it in my late teens as my version of "Good Morning America" and today I still watch it every day on my lunch hour. Sure, his retirement was inevitable, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

I really hope they don't try and replace him with some young "hipster" (For some reason I can see someone like Hal Sparks taking his place :rolleyes: ).

My favorite part of the AP release today was Bob saying that he'd like to focus on movies now, but he refuses to do any nude scenes. :p

It's been a pleasure, Bob. Thank you.

pbarnard
10-31-2006, 09:11 PM
It's the last of the morning game shows. I wonder if it could survive a host change.

Kidhuman
10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Wow, thats sad news. Who is going to remind me to nueter my pets now?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Sad to see, but inevitable. 82 years old and the guy is still going strong, but in the last couple of years his hearing has faultered significantly, and his razor sharp mind has diminished a bit.

No other host could pull off with Bob has done, to host gameshows for 50 years, TPIR for 35. He knows the rules well for the numerous pricing games and can explain them to such a simplicity that even a baby could understand. He has an incredible wit and banter among the contestants (although an infamous naughty banter with his beauties :shocked: ).

Now it is curious to see who takes over the reigns. So many gameshow hosts of the 90's and this decade have sucked, Louie Anderson, Donny Osmond, Richard Karn, Paula Poundstone to name a few. These quasicelebrities were picked because of they had some name recognition but all of them failed as hosts. I hope they don't go that route. There is some young blood out there, like Todd Newton of Whammy! fame, but I don't see anything great about him. I did hear rumors that CBS was to cancel the show after Bob leaves, but that seems to farfetched considering the ratings the show brings in.

El Chuxter
10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
How will this affect our talking about CHUCK NORRIS?

figrin bran
11-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Can he convince John Madden into retirement as well?

JediTricks
11-01-2006, 06:53 PM
"That's not true, that's impossible!"

Who will a myriad of women come to wear stupid shirts for and hug inappropriately at CBS Television City in beautiful Hollywood-ajacent now???

2-1B
11-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Forcing female subordinates into sexual favors seems to have kept this guy spry over the years. :rolleyes:

Caps you can be the one to start the sequel thread as well, "Bob Barker to expire." lol

Who knows, maybe Sandler will go back to the well and kick out Happy Gilmore 2...Bob might come out of retirement for that one. :grin:

JimJamBonds
11-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I hope I'm as active as he is when I'm 82. Thanks for the memories Bob!

Rogue II
11-02-2006, 05:09 PM
I hope I'm as active as he is when I'm 82. Thanks for the memories Bob!

When I'm in my 80s, I hope I'm like Bob Barker and/or Hugh Hefner. Either one.

Does anyone else find it crazy that he's been working on the same TV gameshow longer than most of us have been alive?

2-1B
11-02-2006, 09:14 PM
Can he convince John Madden into retirement as well?

Are you NUTS, sir ? ? ? :eek:

Madden is just starting to hit his peak ! Look ahead to this week's matchup of the Colts v. Pats...it will be orgasmaddenic ! ! !

CaptainSolo1138
11-03-2006, 09:43 PM
"Ya see, Peyton makes a great quarterback because he throws the ball so well."

2-1B
11-04-2006, 11:01 AM
"And Tom Brady is a great quarterback because he makes everyone around him better. He makes them play better and, and that's the sign of a great quarterback. Peyton Manning's a great quarterback who throws the ball well but in the playoffs the first guy you want to lead your team is Tom Brady because he, he makes everyone around him just play better."

JON9000
11-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Madden is nothing without his foil, Pat Summerall. "Aikman.... Irvin.... touchdown."