PDA

View Full Version : AOTC Figures...the Final Straw?

Jon
01-31-2002, 05:55 PM
When I was 6 years old saw Star Wars & Empire Strikes Back for the first time and I was able to see Return of the Jedi in Theaters! I had my parents, grandparents anyone I could get to buy me Star Wars figures and ships...which I promptly destroyed and buried in the snow and threw down the sewer and fed to the dog......

When POTF2 came out I was so thrilled to go out and buy everything that I had as a kid that I foolishly killed. I wasn't in it for the money value, or resales or trading or variations or cards, just loved Star Wars and all the figures...I quickly ran out and bought He-Man Luke and Ally McLeia and Big Bad Lando not really realizing how bad these figures looked. It was just that they were back again. As the line grew....(and slowly the price)...I searched all the Meijer, Toys' R Us, Kaybee, Targets and Wal-Marts that the greater Lansing, MI area had to offer and I did very well. The line recreated the figures I once had and expanded to figures that there always should have been and I was in heaven.

Phantom Menace comes out and after seeing it 4 or 5 times in the theater and realizing that I actually get bored halfway through it I begin wondering if I want the now higher priced figures and vehicles. I decided to slow it down and only buy the figures I liked from the original trilogy...but I already had TPM figures and I hate imcomplete sets....I ran out of room in my house, and wallet for things like $70 B-Wings??? $100 Royal Starships???

I quit collecting for about a year, recently I pulled out my figures and decided to complete the POTF2, POTJ and TPM figure lines and get ready for the AOTC figures....Well I just saw them and I have to say they pretty much look sucky. They look bigger, unposeable, how the freak is Padme going to stand? Are they 3 3/4" anymore or did the guys who made He-Man figures start making Star Wars figures. What happened to normal figures who had arms and legs and we decide what to do with them? I'm afraid that the Star Wars figure collecting days may soon be over come April 23. When I saw those figures today I practically shed a tear. I have to get a new hobby....at least He-Man really is coming out again this year........... Lament of a betrayed Collector

JEDIpartner
01-31-2002, 07:16 PM
First of all your grief is evident. You started this thread on the POTJ section... ;)

Secondly... there are a lot of others out there who share your feelings. These figures are terrible. I was discussing earlier, off the forums, that the reason these will sell is the same reason Britney Spears sells... we expect less so we buy into it and settle for shoddy goods. I am really going to be quite critical over the choices I will make on which figures to buy. Thye are going to be getting a good, hard look before I plunk my money down on these.

Jargo
01-31-2002, 07:20 PM
I would comment here but I'd get drowned out by the people who take happy pills before looking at AOTC star wars figures. Sadly they are in the majority and will buy all the poo stuff and perpetuate a cruddy new attitude to figures from Hasbro.
I feel your pain Jon.

AOTC figure haters unite in solidarity. Power to the band of brothers! (and occasional sister ;) )

InsaneJediGirl
01-31-2002, 08:46 PM
I totally agree with you Jargo:D

*Sets up the Fans In Favor of Better Figures(FIBF)....movement?*

bigbarada
01-31-2002, 09:34 PM
I feel you guys! Hasbro has betrayed the collectors yet again, and this time it won't be so easy to woo us back to the fold.

I for one never bought Hasbro/Kenner's excuse for the buffed up 1995-96 line. Superhero figures were the trend so they felt that they had to make the figures more dynamic to sell in a superhero market? :confused: Star Wars doesn't follow trends, it sets trends. This was just the first indication to me of Hasbro's lack of faith in the SW liscense.

It seems that lack of faith has resurfaced yet again with these horrible Ep2 toys. They led us collectors on all of the last two years, saying that we were their primary market and our input was valuable to them. They even had a few fan choice polls to help convince us that they were genuine. Now that Ep2 is coming up, Hasbro drops us like a hot potato and compromises the integrity of the SW line to cater to kids who couldn't care less about action figures in this day and age.

What's that saying? "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice....."

Lord Tenebrous
01-31-2002, 10:24 PM
Maybe if we buy JP3 and Butt Ugly Martians figures, remove the heads, and mail them to Hasbro, they'll get a clue.

They're in the hands of retards...the B.U.M. (:stupid: ) tv commercial calls them "B-K-M". :stupid: :dead:

I'm surprised the spelling seems okay on the cards. So far.

Jayspawn
01-31-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm with ya Bigbarada! Hasbro definatly betrayed the Collectors. But theres still a chance to make it up to us.

SithDroid
02-01-2002, 12:39 AM
Like I've said before. Even if Hasbro wanted to please the collector, they aren't going to stop production of the new toys. The deadline is too close for them to make a new sculpt, plus they have probably already been mass producing these figures for the past 2-3 months. Anyone wonder why hardly anyone has seen the R4-M9 wave? Its because Hasbro only REALLY cares about getting the EP II figures ready. When it all comes down to it, Hasbro is all about money. Hopefully they will learn from this disaster once the initial wave of EP II stuff doesn't sell real well.

JediTricks
02-01-2002, 01:57 AM
First off, thank you for keeping this thread SPOILER FREE (and continuing to do so). It really is appreciated by some of us.

Secondly, I sympathize with ya there Jon, most of the first waves of Ep 2 look pretty rank, I'm very disappointed in the direction Hasbro has taken. Even more frustrating for me is how cool the vehicles look, how are some of these ridiculously-overposed freaks going to fit in there? But, I think I'll still be in there enjoying the collecting toys scene, even if AOTC figures diminish that a little. I guarantee you that I won't be completist anymore though, that is FOR SURE.

I'm sick of people telling me how I should just shut up and take it, as if Hasbro deserves the right to treat us, and SW, in this shabby manner.

LTBasker
02-01-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I'm sick of people telling me how I should just shut up and take it, as if Hasbro deserves the right to treat us, and SW, in this shabby manner.

Well said.

Amanamike
02-01-2002, 02:13 AM
Im pretty new to this game of being a completeist collector. This was so much fun with all the new figures coming out month after month in the potj lineup. Then WHAM!!! SMACK!!! KICK ME IN THE JEWELS!!!!! Hasbro tries to choke me with this crap they call a toy line!!! AOTC figures look bad. I guess they think we lost our imagination so they decided to pose the figures for us. Oh well my hopes were up, now they are just probably gonna be those memories of almosts and what ifs. Why cant some other company take this line over and do something with it?? Please for the love of god someone do something. We are telling HAsbro we love spending money on their stuff and that we actually enjoy waisting 1000s of dollars on toys. So they try to give us this garbage?? I guess they dont like our money. I give Hasbro the one squirt salute to their new line up AOTC toys.

GNT
02-01-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Amanamike
Then WHAM!!! SMACK!!! KICK ME IN THE JEWELS!!!!!

Ok,But its going to hurt alot ;) I say one of us should go and work at Hasbro,move up into a high position and fire the people responible for this crud!

LTBasker
02-01-2002, 03:09 AM
Why stop there? We should just take over Hasbro. :D

Fixer
02-01-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Why stop there? We should just take over Hasbro. :D

Amen brother. Okay, I've got...$8.74 in my pocket. Who's with me?!? ;)

InsaneJediGirl
02-01-2002, 09:56 AM
Sounds good to me LTBasker:evil:

*Pulls a paperclip out of her pocket..*I got a paperclip!

jedi master sal
02-01-2002, 10:26 AM
I've got a dirty snotrag and an attitude.

Those toys (AOTC) stink like bantha poodoo.