PDA

View Full Version : Which suckers here are now using IE7?

JediTricks
11-01-2006, 05:40 PM
I got the automatic update notice for IE7 today, I hear they staggered the automatic update shoutouts so that they wouldn't get slammed with downloads, I have mine set to request permission to download components before installing, and chose not to take IE7 just yet. It's nothing personal really, I just don't trust Microsoft whatsoever to make initial release software that actually works. :p (To be fair, I don't trust ANY developer's initial release software, I always wait for the word on the street and a few updates in the version.) A site I was doing code for ran into some problems when a user using a late Beta version of IE7 reported a couple issues that caused the entire site to not load for them, very frustrating (we're talking ultra-minor code stuff here).

So I was curious, which one of you fine folks actually have taken this mangey stray into your homes and put it to work? How is it going so far? Anything noteworthy good or bad?

bobafrett
11-01-2006, 09:21 PM
I was going to go ahead and upload it, but decided that I would wait and see from others.

jjreason
11-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I'm a mozilla fan myself, so IE7 is a non-event at my house. Let us know what you think, though.

CaptainSolo1138
11-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I'm a mozilla fan myself, so IE7 is a non-event at my house.Same here. We can't use IE at work because of the security risks, so I came to love Firefox. The new version of which, by the way, isn't anything special.

UKWildcat
11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I too use Mozilla.

I'm sure I'll take IE7 for a test drive soon, although I'll probably use a computer at work first. ;)

JediTricks
11-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Soooo.... nobody?

El Chuxter
11-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Slicker is using IE7, which is why he vanished off the face of the earth.

Rogue II
11-02-2006, 04:17 PM
You must be talking to the wrong group of nerds.

bigbarada
11-05-2006, 10:44 AM
I use Safari, so I didn't even know that there was an IE7 coming out. However, it's the same story with Apple as it is with Microsoft, you dont' really want to mess around with the initial versions of new software. When we upgraded our college to OS 10.4.0 Tiger, we lost the use of a few major programs (like Maya) until we could download 10.4.1.

2-1B
11-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Deckard Smith uses IE7 and it works wonderfully for him/her.

Jargo
11-05-2006, 05:46 PM
no way would I put it in. I hate tabbed browsing. I don't intend to do any updating until MS Vista is fully released in 2010. the release upcoming is only half the full operating system. likewise I'll wait for a browser that is fully compatible and problem free before upgrading. My main concern next year will be hardware upgrades and making my stem fully Vista ready. which in reality means building a whole new PC from scratch to deal with the might and weight of Vista and all it's gigabytes of data. plus enough RAM to deal with a small country and it's data storage/handling.

besides, what's wrong with IE6? I haven't had any problems with it at all.

besides a good mate of mine is a MS accredited engineer and any probs he sorts out generally. and my 'other' good mate is IT support for Universal music publishing UK. both of whom are testing various softwares constantly.
When both of them tell me that MS has managed to get something worthy of installing up and running then i'll go for it.

JediTricks
11-06-2006, 01:45 AM
no way would I put it in. I hate tabbed browsing.oookay, you do know that using tabbed browsing is completely at the discression of the user, right? Personally, I love it, instead of having a bunch of browser windows using up my windows toolbar and eating system resources, I have a bunch of tabs open instead which uses less resources and keeps my toolbar clear for other programs. I'm using 4 tabs right now - SSG forums main page, "new posts" page", this actually thread, and this very reply window.

besides, what's wrong with IE6? I haven't had any problems with it at all. Massive security holes in quantity and quality, and it is out of date by about 5 years so it is not using windows resources to their full potential.

darthvyn
11-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Same here. We can't use IE at work because of the security risks, so I came to love Firefox.

that's an awesomely progressive workplace, then! surprising!

The new version of which, by the way, isn't anything special.

false. faster rendering engine, google searchbar suggestions, and built-in passive form field spell-checker? that's the hotness!

anyway, i've been testing IE7 at both of my jobs on and off, and while it is a HUGE improvement over IE6, that's like saying getting punched in the throat is better than getting kicked in the balls.

the CSS rendering engine is vastly superior to IE6, but it's still missing some things that browsers like moz have had for a long time now. it has some cool features, like tab thumbnail previews, but they're only that: cool features, as opposed to major enhancements.

however, the top toolbar is a total mess... i don't understand why they would've put all the buttons in different places than ALL OTHER BROWSERS!!!

i had issues with something i designed at one of my jobs: a drop-down menu, much like the one at the top of this site, but it was all CSS, no javascript... it was working fine in IE6, FF1.5 and 2.0, but IE7 wasn't letting it happen... turns out IE7 was the one that was being a stickler, and needed the site to be in "standards compliance mode" - with a full doctype declaration at the top - for it to let it work. however, as it was an old site, there was a lot of code on there that wasn't going to work in FF if i put said DTD at the top of the page, so i had to find a work-around to put IE7 into standards mode. i did, and it works now, but it was a pain in the butt, seeing as how all that code that was in that site was optimized for IE6(!!!!!) and now IE7 wasn't letting it work.

all in all, i think it's a valiant effort on the part of M$ to get into the standards movement (ten years too late) but ultimately futile, seeing as how they need to first develop a time machine in order to catch up to FF.

just stick with the fox.

JON9000
11-06-2006, 02:23 PM
I use Avant browser. I love tabbed browsing, eliminates the need to close however many windows at the end of a session.

Slicker
11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Slicker is using IE7, which is why he vanished off the face of the earth.HAW!!!

I was in the process of moving. And let me tell you, Slicker's mom is none too easy to move.

Jargo
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
oookay, you do know that using tabbed browsing is completely at the discression of the user, right? Personally, I love it, instead of having a bunch of browser windows using up my windows toolbar and eating system resources, I have a bunch of tabs open instead which uses less resources and keeps my toolbar clear for other programs. I'm using 4 tabs right now - SSG forums main page, "new posts" page", this actually thread, and this very reply window.

Massive security holes in quantity and quality, and it is out of date by about 5 years so it is not using windows resources to their full potential.
well i have software to deal with anything coming through any holes. always on stuff so it deals with events as and when without bothering me.

I have a big screen with a big toolbar. leaving multiple windows open isn't a problem really. one site I go to i have ten chat windows open as a matter of course. plus any other programmes i'm running and the media player.

I don't know exactly what it is, I just don't like tabbed browsing. *shrug*

2-1B
11-06-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't like tabs either.

I do like Tab.

darthvyn
11-07-2006, 08:44 AM
I use Avant browser. I love tabbed browsing, eliminates the need to close however many windows at the end of a session.

problem is, avant is just a heavily modified skin for IE6, which means you're just using IE6 with tabs... so you're still susceptible to all the IE6 security failures.

from the homepage (http://www.avantbrowser.com/):

Try Avant Browser, the top rated multi-window browser in Internet, which adds a batch of features and functionalities to Internet Explorer.

(i don't know what the hell they mean by "top rated... browser in Internet" either...)

and the most laughable quote, on their FAQ page

Is Avant Browser a secure browser?

Yes, Avant Browser is secure. Since it's based on Internet Explorer, Avant Browser is as secure as Internet Explorer. Avant Browser supports all SSL secured websites. Avant Browser's encryption length is the same as Internet Explorer's.

Jargo
11-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I should say I have actually used Vista and IE7 at a mates place. spent a weekend playing around. and trying out stuff on the computer too

badabum CHING!

thank you. thank you...

Vista seems very showy but annoyingly so. sliding and gliding and fading. yes yes very nice but half the OS is still not completed you morons. Obviously on someone elses computer I couldn't mess with settings too much but from what I saw I'm not in a hurry to go there.
likewise with IE7 I just found I got more lost with tabs than I would with windows on the taskbar. in the same way I never liked that option when you get lots of windows open there to have them suddemly vanish to pop up menu tray. I hated that.
However. seeing as I've given myself until 2010 to get used to Vista being around. and by then there's bound to be completely new browsers and ways of accessing the net, I'm not worried at about skipping IE7.
I mean it's only five minutes since windows 98 second edition and the dawning of IE5. then broadband and then all this CSS stuff. bah! far too much to take in as a casual end user.

badabum CHING!

thank you. I - thanyooooo...

JediTricks
11-07-2006, 07:26 PM
however, the top toolbar is a total mess... i don't understand why they would've put all the buttons in different places than ALL OTHER BROWSERS!!! That is MS's MO, they want to make sure they are so ubiquitous that everybody will be used to the way THEY do things and feel uncomfortable using any other software. Lately it seems to backfire in their faces though.

i had issues with something i designed at one of my jobs: a drop-down menu, much like the one at the top of this site, but it was all CSS, no javascript... it was working fine in IE6, FF1.5 and 2.0, but IE7 wasn't letting it happen... turns out IE7 was the one that was being a stickler, and needed the site to be in "standards compliance mode" - with a full doctype declaration at the top - for it to let it work. however, as it was an old site, there was a lot of code on there that wasn't going to work in FF if i put said DTD at the top of the page, so i had to find a work-around to put IE7 into standards mode. i did, and it works now, but it was a pain in the butt, seeing as how all that code that was in that site was optimized for IE6(!!!!!) and now IE7 wasn't letting it work.I thought this dropdown was all CSS as well. Anyway, that totally sucks about IE7 doing that, it's been pulling that with a bunch of my pages, including one time I forgot to put the "--" in before the ">" and even though every CSS-enabled browser from Netscape 4 to IE6 and Mozilla Firefox can move beyond the issue, IE7 is such a stickler that it wouldn't let it. Friggin' SUCKS!

all in all, i think it's a valiant effort on the part of M$ to get into the standards movement (ten years too late) but ultimately futile, seeing as how they need to first develop a time machine in order to catch up to FF.A standards movement that isn't even required anymore since most browsers are already upgraded well beyond the issues of that time. Man do I hate MS for IE7 being such a code-b**ch.

just stick with the fox.If it were more than 20% max of the webshare, I'd love to, but stupid IE still ruins... I mean "rules", the web.

I don't know exactly what it is, I just don't like tabbed browsing. *shrug*My initial point was with Firefox and Mozilla browser, you only use tabs when you choose to, they're anything but required.

El Chuxter
11-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Right now, I'm using it on my brother-in-law's computer. I can say that I do not like it. I can say that as strongly as I can say that Transformers Classics rock.

vulcantouch-mom
11-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Like a dummy, I uninstalled my butterfly (IE7) a couple of weeks ago, after getting really tired of having to spend 15-30 minutes getting into it and staying in it each morning. Geeeeeeeeez, you'd have thought I was on dial-up:cross-eye . Anyway, I'd gone thru the issues a few months ago, being a faithful defragger, virus-scanner, keeping TIF's and cookies cleared and history deleted daily. This time 'round, I was hoping to recover my lost address book (which had been a victim last time) and my SENT ITEMS located on my PC, no less, that had also left town without so much as a 'by your leave':frus: . Neither came back and, last night, I entered, re-entered and re-entered an e-mail of some length only to have it whine about needing to closes IE. No, really?!?:rolleyes:

Soooooooooooooo, for those of you younger, WISER users, you've probably saved yourself oodles of "ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH's" for now. I'm getting more and more open to the idea of Firefox (my Daughter-in-Law uses it). Coming from a staunch MSN fan, that's saying something.

Okay, I feel much better now :yes:.

Bye, guys:) :) :)

JediTricks
11-26-2006, 01:27 AM
My mom's husband installed IE7 at work because Auto Updates recommended it and it wiped out some really important work files, stuff not even remotely related to IE at all... nice job MicroFools! I swear, MS should just go hide in a cave over this "upgrade".

vulcantouch-mom
11-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Bad MSN:upset: Do they still have the 'shot yourself in the foot' award? I miss the good old days of being able to just call them and have everything resolved. Ah well, mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmoreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!: (

Time for snoozing - G'nite y'all:tired:

VT-mom :) :) :)

JediTricks
11-26-2006, 02:48 AM
I believe you can see that award every time you boot up your computer and it says "Windows by Microsoft" ;)

mtriv73
11-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I made the mistake of installing the update for IE7 last monday. It took me 3 days to fix everything. I didn't lose any files (that I know of) but my browser crashed after every third or so page I would view. It is unconscienable for them to release programs that are this bad.

vulcantouch-mom
11-26-2006, 08:40 AM
Ever so clever and full of knowledge Oh, Mighty JediTricks. :yes: I just knew you'd have the answer lol

Geez, now I can add that to my 'mantle' full o-awards :rolleyes:

Thank ever so for my first laugh of the week;)

VT-mom :) :) :)

SirSteve
11-26-2006, 10:28 AM
Being a web developer/designer, I had to install it so I can see how it renders my designs. Tabbed browsing does have its benifits... it uses less CPU resources compared to having a number of windows open. Someone else said it but IE6 is horrible at CSS rendering. We have to use all kinds of "work arounds" that Firefox does not require.

IE7 does make SSG and ActionFigs.com render incorrectly. It's a tricky one because the "work around" that fixes IE6 breaks IE7... Actually, IE7 is rendering it the correct way but most people will stick with IE6 for a while. I will be doing some upgrades/fixes in about a week that (I hope) to fix the rendering issue for both versions of IE along with a major upgrade for our Content Management System (News).

darthvyn
11-26-2006, 07:05 PM
wow! i had no idea IE7 installs were causing so much to go awry... i've installed it on two computers at this point and didn't notice a thing - except that it's still second fiddle (at best) to firefox.

yeah, SirSteve, the CSS hacks you're using are par for the course i'm afraid. so far i've had better experiences with sites rendering in IE7 than most, i guess, but i've been coding with IE7 in my head for a long time now. in fact one of the projects i was working on (e-books for columbia university) actually RELIED on IE6 being in quirks mode to replicate position:fixed; css abilities. but it was also forward-compatible with IE7, which doesn't require quirks mode. (the xml declaration at the top of the page throws IE6 quirks, but keeps IE7 compliant...)

JediTricks
11-27-2006, 07:10 PM
IE7 feels like Microsoft took a look at the internet train problems and decided the answer to it would be to paint a tunnel on wall for Wile E. Coyote to slam into.