PDA

View Full Version : What Have YOU Done?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-01-2006, 10:50 PM
This might sound ominous and accusatory (no, YOU did it! :rolleyes: ), but it's actually a serious topic. I just finished a two-week run of the play Our Town, where I played undertaker Joe Stoddard, as well as signing in the choir (and I have a terrible voice, but it's amazing what a group of people can do to drown out those who stink) and in the wedding scene. It's one of the best experiences I've ever had, even with 2 prior months of rehearsals. It made me wonder, what are the accomplishments you've made in your lives? And any time to make lists is a good time! :D

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN (OR SO) ACCOMPLISHMENTS (in no particular order):
1. 3-month driving trip (16,000+ miles) across southern part of U.S.
2. winning Employee of the Year in '95.
3. Our Town play
4. attending summer Writing Project seminars ('03, '05)
5. attending speech by Desmond Tutu at college
6. getting my BA degree in Social Studies and Teaching Credential
7. coaching my youth basketball team to the '95 league championship
8. running a 4:32 1500 meter (4:52 equivalent mile) race
9. ?
10. ??

bobafrett
11-01-2006, 11:00 PM
1. Employee of the month at Wal-Mart February 2000
2. Employee of the month at Wal-Mart February 2001
3. Trooper of the month June 2005
4. Trooper of the month June 2006
5. Raised $1,200.00 for the american cancer society 2005
6. Raised $1,050.00 for the american cancer society 2006
7. raised my son the last four years, single
8. I'm thinking, I'm thinking

2-1B
11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
posted nearly 10,000 times at SSG

JimJamBonds
11-01-2006, 11:18 PM
Collected all three variations of the 2006 Robin Yount bobblehead.
Ran a marathon.
Watched Saw I and II with Caesar back-to-back last Saturday.
Hit a deer with my car.
Not quit UPS.
Won my work fantasy football regular season title and Super Bowl (not the same year).
4th highest poster on SWCollecting.com

pbarnard
11-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Won the ACS Distinguished Service Award when I graduated with my BS Chem (with a whole list of minors/co-majors) from Creighton. Although that Merck Index is a pain to move everywhere.
Got accepted into my neuro program, and got a small grant of 150k for equipment and materials this summer (got 25k or so left I wish I could use as sallary but some adminstrator is screwing me over with it)
Whistle blew on a company covering for an oil drilling company poisoning a small town at my first job (and waiting the statue of limitations out so I don't get sued)
Have gotten 2 Summer REU grants, 1 at Creighton and 1 at Iowa before I was accepted in my program
Self taught myself carptentry and have built my book cases, dvd case, SW Case, Kitchen Pantry, Cantina dio, Jabba palace dio, Death Star Detetion Dio.
Convinced at least 3 people to adopt a child at various stops along the way
Think i'm sitting at 3 scientific publications as name tacked on, soon to be 4 (1st as primary hopefully...submitting tomorrow, will know in a few months). 2 poems published as well.
Been frisked by the Secret Service 2 times in 3 weeks during the Election 2000 (Once in St. Louis and once in Milwaukee). Bonus Al Gore remembered I had blue hair and dreads the second time.
Been finger printed but not arrested so I could work on some DoD projects.
Some how hoping to make this list irrelevant in 4-5 years except for #6.

Kidhuman
11-02-2006, 12:54 AM
I pooped twice today

jjreason
11-02-2006, 08:51 AM
1 (TIE) Have maintained a happy and healthy marriage for over 11 years.
1 (TIE) Have fathered and am helping raise 2 healthy, beautiful children.

- Have instructed nearly 200 children in drug awareness and ways to avoid other risky behaviours, only one of which I've encountered later in a negative way.

- Chased a bank robber on foot for 6 blocks, arrested him and recovered $800 from his person (he also confessed on the way back to the office).

- Have wrested a knife away from a suicidal female, possibly saving her life.

- Have been involved in the seizures of over $1,000,000 worth of illicit drugs.

- Have assisted a number of prostitutes get spots in detox and rehab centers which has actually helped a few of them get off the street.

- Have shot a perfect pistol score on qualification day (meaningless to lots of people, but I put a lot of pressure on myself to attain this goal so it's satisfying to me).

- Have managed to stay a loyal Tigers fan even through the dark days of the past 19 years :D

mtriv73
11-02-2006, 09:21 AM
In no particular order...

1. got my BS's in Biology and biochemistry from Virginia Tech: Go Hokies!
2. have worked in HIV and HPV research
3. Have 6 journal articles published in some really good scientific journals; presented a poster at a big meeting of the scientists in my field in Atlanta last month.
4. Have 2 more articles submitted and pending publishing
5. Founding father of my chapter of a fraternity that does not haze or pledge...ever
6. Joined a group called the Jaycees here in MD and became chapter president in 3 years.
7. Went on to become a state level Individual Development Vice President this year.
8. Raised over $45,000 the year of my presidency for charity (mostly) and chapter activities
9. Helped build a 1 mile haunted hayride in what was just a forrest before which accounted for $28,000 of the above.
10. Sat on the committee which started a citizen corp chapter in my town
11. managed to collect all the star wars stuff I can without my wife divorcing me.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I pooped twice today

I'd say that this trumps, by far, any other accomplishment that is listed on this thread.

El Chuxter
11-02-2006, 06:50 PM
I pooped twice today

If you don't mind my asking, why were you in the shower twice in one day?

CaptainSolo1138
11-02-2006, 08:37 PM
*I've had my beautiful wife put up with me for over two years
*I've been to eight states
*Went from a 1.00 GPA in highschool (And managed to graduate. Hooray for Saginaw Public Schools!) to a 3.25 GPA as a triple major in college
*I am currently in the top position at my job, with five people below me
*Earned an Associates Degree, which after my aforementioned stint in highschool, was a big deal to me and gave me the drive to keep going
*Ate an entire "Big Ben" at Bennigan's (So what if I'm proud of it?!:) )
*I've put my paws around the Stanley Cup
*Made Dean's List
*Got engaged on the loading platform for Millenium Force at Cedar Point
*#1: My freakin' sweet twins, Hayden and Hannah

2-1B
11-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Triple majors are three times the loser. lol lol lol

Seriously though...

"I was editor of the school magazine!"
--Lemmy, in Airheads

JimJamBonds
11-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I once ate an entire Grande Meal from Taco Bell in 80 min.

LusiferSam
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
1. Finish high school in three years with a 3.75 GPA (stuid english)
2. Earned my Eagle Scout rank.
3. Earned a BA in physics in four years at one of the top party schools in the county.
4. Have an undergrad GPA of 3.49 (I took and academic *** kicking my freshmen year and fall semester of my junior year).
5. Scored 75th percentiles in Analytical, 65th percentiles in Quantitative and 22nd percentiles in Verbal on the GRE all without studying for it.
6. Accepted into graduate school.
7. Earned a Masters in physics.
8. Make Dean's list and President's list several times.
9. Have a complete collection of vintage SW figures.
10. And did all the academic stuff when being dyslexic.

JimJamBonds
11-02-2006, 09:32 PM
3. Earned a BA in physics in fours at one of the top party schools in the county.

Where was that?

LusiferSam
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
Where was that?

University of Colorado, Boulder

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-03-2006, 07:35 PM
University of Colorado, Boulder
Cool, that's where I'm planning on going.

Hmm, my list of accomplishments is smaller due to the fact that I'm only 16, but oh well.

I went to the district spelling bee three times, but pretty much sucked when I got there.
I recently won an award for my political cartoons in the school paper, which was pretty cool.
I like the movie I made (see sig line), and hopefully can make better.
Uhh, I'm not too shabby at school? Dunno, I haven't done anything worthwhile yet, I guess. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
11-03-2006, 07:38 PM
posted nearly 10,000 times at SSGThis thread is about what you've DONE, not what you've nearly done; call us when you have completed this task. :yes: :p

9. ?
10. ??
9. Chosen to give graduation speech in high school.
10. Traveled to Europe and Mexico twice, Hawai'i once.

And since in my earlier post, I listed that I was "signing" in the choir, when it should've been "singing" (no one who attended would've noticed, though :rolleyes: ), I offer this BSLOS, which I have sadly now memorized (and probably lost some Star Wars EU trivia tidbit to make room for it, too :upset: ):

"Blest be the tie that binds
our hearts in Christian love;
the feh-ellowshi-ip of ki-indred mi-inds
is li-ike to that above.

Before our Father's throne
we pour our ardent prayers;
our fee-ears, our ho-opes, our ai-aims are wuh-one,
our co-omforts a-and our cares.

We share each other's woes,
each uh-other's burdens bear;
and oh-often fo-or each o-other flo-ows
the sy-ympathi-izing tear."

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Make it stop! Make it STOP!!!!! :eek: :o

Jargo
11-03-2006, 09:06 PM
1) remained 'ungainfully unemployed' for the entirety of my adult life.

2) maintained a relationship with my 'life partner' for over ten years with only three rows and no fights.

3)raised three guide dogs for the blind pups and had two pass with flying colours. one is still working. one failed after qualifying due to health problems and the third that didn't qualify also had health problems but all three are calm obedient well trained beasts and bundles of loyalty and devotion so that's a big achievement in todays society where dogs are so rough and unruly. it's a struggle and fight for a dog owner to raise a pup and have them turn out normal.

4) I've done things on webcam with fourty people watching I would never admit to by naming. and feel no remorse or shame for having entertained a bunch of people for two hours solid. it brightened their sunday afternoon and amused me.

5) I've managed to stay online signed up to many websites and avoided being banned for so long now I'm beginning to think I'm charmed. but also not particulary hated. treated with indifference yes, but not so much hated. and boy sometimes I can really push the boundaries trying. the internet is a fascinating way to play with words and their meaning. and in a small way play with peoples emotions. tis a fickle beast though.

6) I learned how to make a black forest trifle that no-one can resist.

7) I've performed in over 100 stage shows. in various capacities. some show i performed in and worked backstage as designer of set, props and costumes. and some I did set construction on too. I've performed in all kinds of venues and I did a good job. learned a lot about life, theatre and various arts and skills. but stayed amateur because I want to keep something I enjoy doing sacred. a career in theatre or in front of cameras has no appeal to me. a man may be king of the hill wherever he rests. he needs not climb an impossible mountain to feel it.

8) I've saved two people from killing themselves. suicide attempts. some say I was foolish, but I say both people were worth saving. I think both of them are selfish ******* but they needed to live. both young and with a lot to give and lots still to get out of life. whether that's good or bad experiences, it doesn't matter. what mattered was they made a call for help and I answered. I'm proud that I could help.

9) Finally after 38 years I fired my family. An unusual thing to be proud of but it freed me of several demons that plagued me and held me back most of my life. It allowed me to breathe a sigh of relief and finally start to learn how to relax and really be myself. I'm proud of the fact that my life belongs to me rather than me being controlled like a puppet. I'm proud i found the strength within me to stand up to them and walk away without so much as a glance back. liberation in a subdued fashion.

10) I'm proud of the fact that my star wars toys i got rid of went to a charity shop that benefits kids and my LOTR stuff went to a nine year old kid who really will appreciate them. I could have made pots of cash out of the stuff but didn't. I feel really pleased about that. I could do with the money to be honest but money isn't everything. sometimes it's cooler to just give stuff away. makes you feel healthier.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
posted (now over) 10,000 times at SSGSee? Caes, this is an accomplishment now. And an impressive one at that. My meager 2600+ posts and I bow to your superior posting total. :thumbsup:

Slicker
11-21-2006, 03:19 PM
I was just itching my taint and I poked a hole in my boxers.

CaptainSolo1138
11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
I was just itching my taint and I poked a hole in my boxers.
Funniest. Statement. EVER!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Addin' on some more...

11. was a movie extra in That Thing You Do! in '96
12. met Weird Al Yankovic and told him we share the same birthday (nerd... :rolleyes: )

Forgot to mention that the 1500 meter race included Dave Johnson, the dude who went to the Olympics (in '92? '96?), and I had a faster time than he... well, he wasn't in my heat, but his time was slower in a previous race. I beat an Olympic caliber athlete! Sort of! ;) I also was on the track at my college while Mike Powell (world record holder in long jump) was training.

Old Fossil
11-24-2006, 12:23 AM
In no particular order:

1. Wrote a book, The Green World. Epic fantasy. Still unpublished; not trying too hard to change that at present, but working on a new project instead.
2. Created a unique runic alphabet for my fantasy world, using three different futharks and the Gothic alphabet as bases.
3. Got my B.A. in History.
4. Took 2 semesters of fiction writing with author Steve Barthelme; the courses changed my way of thinking, more so than any of the history courses I took.
5. Hiked the backcountry of Glacier National Park; climbed Guadelupe Peak in Guadelupe Mts. National Park, Texas.
6. Have remained married 7 years, and am still in love with my wife.
7. Have a beautiful 2 year old girl who's got me completely wrapped around her little finger.
8. Survived Hurricane Katrina... and have prospered since.
9. Have managed to maintain close ties with my best friend for 20 years now.
10. Got my student pilot's license when I was 15.
11. Have managed to maintain several hobbies through most of my life: collecting Star Wars figures, coin collecting, gardening, birdwatching, and hunting. I hope to make #12 "a successful apprenticeship in falconry" after next year; "falconry," as Aldo Leopold said, "is the perfect hobby."

Grades and honors and job recognition used to mean something to me, but something happened to me in the last few years (not sure what; changing world view, maybe) that changed that. I did great on the GRE and the ACT and graduated high school with some honors, but I don't recall my scores or what honors I got.

Sometimes I think that just living another day, with one's own particular faith and values and inner child intact, is a tremendous accomplishment. Our materialistic, martial society (in America, anyway) marginalizes the importance of spirituality (true spirituality, not religion, mind you) to such an extent that we are driven to excel and be proud of things that are of little real consequence in the Great Scheme of Things. To still look up at the night sky with the same sense of wonder I had in, say, 1987, is no small feat, I think, and I'm actually proud of that.

I don't mean to trivialize anyone's list of accomplishments here, but I think what I've read on the previous posts speaks volumes about what people consider true successes.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2006, 10:48 AM
In no particular order:

1. Wrote a book,
3. Got my B.A. in History.
5. ; climbed Guadelupe Peak in Guadelupe Mts. National Park, Texas.
11. Have managed to maintain several hobbies through most of my life: collecting Star Wars figures, coin collecting, , , and .

, but something happened to me in the last few years (not sure what; changing world view, maybe) that changed that. and graduated high school with some honors, but .

To still look up at the night sky with the same sense of wonder I had in, say, 1987, is no small feat, I think, and I'm actually proud of that.

I don't mean to trivialize anyone's list of accomplishments here, but I think what I've read on the previous posts speaks volumes about what people consider true successes.I can agree with all you typed above (when did you climb Guadalupe Peak, OF? I did it in spring of 1994, while it was snowing at the base but sunny above the clouds at the peak, and wrote a subtle SW reference in the bullet box notebook), at least the ones I kept and didn't delete in the quote (well, I've started a few books... finishing 'em's a different story [pun intended] :D ).

BTW, I think trivializing others' accomplishments on this site is an accomplishment in itself. :p

Old Fossil
11-24-2006, 12:26 PM
I can agree with all you typed above (when did you climb Guadalupe Peak, OF? I did it in spring of 1994, while it was snowing at the base but sunny above the clouds at the peak, and wrote a subtle SW reference in the bullet box notebook), at least the ones I kept and didn't delete in the quote (well, I've started a few books... finishing 'em's a different story [pun intended] :D ).

BTW, I think trivializing others' accomplishments on this site is an accomplishment in itself. :p

Man, sounds like the Guadelupes were really beautiful when you were there, BCJ! Fresh snow at the foot of the desert mountains... Did you come up from Pecos, or down from Carlsbad, or from El Paso?

It was March of '98 when I went, I think. A solo adventure. Cold as a well-digger's ankles, and the wind... I thought it would sweep me right off the peak. There was still some old snow in some of the ravines beneath the pine trees. I don't think I checked that box, but the pilot's monument was a surprise to me.

I met a Scotsman on the way up (he was on his way back down). He strongly suggested a visit to the Chisos at Big Bend NP. That's where I want to go next.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Man, sounds like the Guadelupes were really beautiful when you were there, BCJ! Fresh snow at the foot of the desert mountains... Did you come up from Pecos, or down from Carlsbad, or from El Paso?

It was March of '98 when I went, I think. A solo adventure. Cold as a well-digger's ankles, and the wind... I thought it would sweep me right off the peak. There was still some old snow in some of the ravines beneath the pine trees. I don't think I checked that box, but the pilot's monument was a surprise to me.

I met a Scotsman on the way up (he was on his way back down). He strongly suggested a visit to the Chisos at Big Bend NP. That's where I want to go next.I had been at Carlsbad Caverns a couple days prior, so I think I came via El Paso. I climbed with a family (2 bros and a sis) from... uh, a place? I forget where. The snow wasn't heavy (more of a frost after it fell) but the ground was so hard that my tent stakes were bending. I slept in my car that night, and the inside of my windshield frosted over. All that was worth it for the views and the experience. I even met someone about a week later in San Antonio, I believe, whose comments in the notebook I recognized from speaking with him in person.

I'll try to scan a pic or two of the place.

2-1B
11-25-2006, 11:04 AM
I don't mean to trivialize anyone's list of accomplishments here, but I think what I've read on the previous posts speaks volumes about what people consider true successes.

Or maybe it speaks volumes about what people choose to take seriously on the internet. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2006, 11:12 AM
If it works (Han says, "it'll work... it'll work..." :o ), there should be a view from the base with frost on the trail, and another from maybe halfway up of the basin in the distance. You decide which is which.

BTW, I took 27 rolls of film on that trip. :eek: Not just to Guad. Peak, but I believe it was #1 on my list.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-27-2006, 12:32 AM
8. running a 4:32 1500 meter (4:52 equivalent mile) race
Ha! I ran a 4:12, but that was back in 1992. I'm more proud of my 10,000 meter time of 31:35, also in 1992. Not in that good of shape now.

Old Fossil
11-27-2006, 09:55 PM
If it works (Han says, "it'll work... it'll work..." :o ), there should be a view from the base with frost on the trail, and another from maybe halfway up of the basin in the distance. You decide which is which.

BTW, I took 27 rolls of film on that trip. :eek: Not just to Guad. Peak, but I believe it was #1 on my list.

Beautiful pictures, BCJ! What a lovely, lonesome country. I must go back!!!:love:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Wow. No one's done nuthin' in over a year. :( Me neither, I guess. Nah, I've done some stuff.

Last month, I was in a performance of To Kill a Mockingbird, in a tri-role as Nathan Radley (Boo's brother, one line: "Afternoon" ), Bailiff (three lines, two identical), and drunk mob voice (three off-stage lines). It was cool, and I even got a cast award that was totally unexpected. I give it a :thumbsup: .

Slicker
12-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Since this thread started I've actually done something worth while.

1. Moved to Japan
2. Went on a summer deployment
3. Went to Kuala Lumpur
4. Went to Australia (Sydney and Brisbane)
5. Went to Guam
6. Spent my Thanksgiving in Hong Kong on the Kitty Hawk
7. Had the CO of the boat walk through one of my fart clouds.

stillakid
12-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Worthwhile? Not sure what that really means, but here's what I think I've "accomplished" in my life so far (for what it's worth)....

1) graduated from college
2) moved to LA with no job/idea what the F I was doing and managed to get into the movie business with no family or friends to help.
3) got married (but probably shouldn't have :( )
4) father of two great children
5) traveled to and worked in several countries in my career (Jamaica, Mexico, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Greece, UAE/Dubai, Czech Republic, China)
6) have made many friends from around the world
7) wrote a book which will be published in June of '08
8) amassed a collection of Star Wars toys that I look at and shake my head at sometimes.
9) have developed a taste for Zanax and Jaegar Meister. :yes:
10) have gotten myself out of credit card debt! (I needed to get to 10)

Tonysmo
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
I uh.. got 3 lvl 70 characters living in the world of Azeroth..

and .. I got muh CCNA. :)

Mike Troxell
12-02-2007, 12:05 AM
Lost 130 lbs and have kept it off for over three years now.
Nothing else I've ever done has made me proud.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2007, 03:02 PM
Isn't there another similar, more recent thread around here?

Bel-Cam Jos
12-02-2007, 06:25 PM
7) wrote a book which will be published in June of '08

10) have gotten myself out of credit card debt! (I needed to get to 10)Will it be alphabetized under 'S' for Stilla or 'K' for Kid? :p I hope to add that to my own list someday, as well.

And I guess never getting myself INTO cc debt (so far, at least :fingerscrossed: ), could be one for me, too.

CaptainSolo1138
12-03-2007, 07:58 AM
7. Had the CO of the boat walk through one of my fart clouds.Holy sh*t! That's AWESOME!

Neuroleptic
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
1. Addopted my daughter even though we had to sell our house and move to a smaller one to afford to do it. Best 24,000 I ever spent.

. . . course, now I'm broke and can't afford the new target exclusive At-St sets. but it's STILL worth it.

2. Got my CMA (Certified Medication Aid) license. Not as big as the collage graduates here, I know, but I love my job. Some day I hope to become an art teacher, but I'm waiting for my wife to finnish collage first.

3. Got my job at Meadowlark Hills, a nursing home here in Kansas. Specificaly, I work in the dementia unit, and am the longest employed person down there (it's in the basement). You want to talk about knowing people need you? You should have seen the look on the LPN's face when I told her I was thinking about transfering upstairs.

. . . Course, now I'm just as crazy as the residents.

4. Kept some kids from shoplifting from a shop at the mall last weekend.

. . . course, that's not as great as catching bank robbers, or keeping people from killing themselves, but it's a good deed that ups my karmah points none the less.

5. Have kept myself out of credit card debt despite huge expense of addoption.

. . . Course, again, I don't have much worth anything. But I'm happy just the same.

6. Been married 3 years now.

. . . course, that's not as good as some of the people I know who have been married for 60, but it's a start!

7. Stayed with someone when they died.

8. Kept the wing's beta fish alive for 3 years at work

. . . course, he has lasted longer than any of the employees, except me.

9. Biult the Fine Mold's X-wing Starfighter and am working on the Y-wing.

. . . course, all those peices are teeny tiny since they are in 1/72nd scale. The X-wing took me 6 months to biuld and paint, and the Y-wing wich I am still trying to get paints for has even more parts.

10. Was made to move out from my parents when I was 18 even though they felt I couldn't make it on my own. Prooved them wrong by doing it with a job that paied nothing more than 6.25 an hour. I was able to keep myself out of debt, saved up 2,000 dolars in a year, was able to pay the rent on time, keep myself fed, and still paid my taxes.

. . . course, I didn't have a car.

TeeEye7
12-03-2007, 12:17 PM
4. Kept some kids from shoplifting from a shop at the mall last weekend.

. . . course, that's not as great as catching bank robbers, or keeping people from killing themselves, but it's a good deed that ups my karmah points none the less.

It's a bigger deal than you might think. I know jjreason would agree with me! :yes:

Kudos to you on your entire list! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
12-03-2007, 03:33 PM
CAtching shoplifters and detering them is a good thing. I used to do that for a job. Nothing like a thrill of catcing them, but kids with parents was a good thing, because I would just tell the parents what tey stole and then run to the cameras and watch et the sh*t knocked out of them in the parking lot.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
I don't want to put a damper on things here but you did ask BCJ ;) and it is and will always be my number one accomplishment in life, hands down!

1. The ability to drop EVERYTHING and take care of my MOM in her last days of suffering from breast cancer...be there for her for the little time there was, as she was for me for my entire life! I only hope and often think about..."Did I help in any way to relieve her suffering and fear?" First, I wish cancer on NO ONE, not even my worst enemy! It is horrible. Horrible still is to watch the one person you love the most suffer and deteriorate in front of your eyes and know that all they are thinking about is if you are going to be ok once they are gone!?

If my life was for that one single purpose, then I accomplished all I will ever need to.

2. The ability to hold the family together and come out STRONG since July 01 when it all started and April 07 when it ended. My Mom is the strongest woman I will ever have the pleasure of knowing and loving and being loved by!

3. The ability to live with and take care of my Grandma now, although she's damn self-sufficient at 87! Still works full-time and drives a pimped out PT Cruiser, it can be very difficult living with elderly people but she's a good egg and I love her ;)

4. The ability to get right back up on my feet and finish my Master's degree

5. Hired for a research job in my department...$1.5 million grant project - this is better than winning the lottery to me!

JimJamBonds
12-04-2007, 09:51 PM
4. The ability to get right back up on my feet and finish my Master's degree

5. Hired for a research job in my department...$1.5 million grant project - this is better than winning the lottery to me!

What is your degree in?

bobafrett
12-05-2007, 03:07 PM
8) revised I got engaged
9) raised $1,200.00 for the american cancer society
10) got sole custody of my son in court without having to hire an attorney.

Deox, I know watching my mom go through what she did with cancer was not something I would wish upon even my worst enemy. And what is your degree in?

2-1B
12-05-2007, 08:53 PM
What is your degree in?

Being hot.

8) revised I got engaged
Deox, what is your degree in?

Being hot.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Being hot.

Being hot.

or I might be just another cold booger on a paperplate ;)

8) revised I got engaged
9) raised $1,200.00 for the american cancer society
10) got sole custody of my son in court without having to hire an attorney.

Deox, I know watching my mom go through what she did with cancer was not something I would wish upon even my worst enemy. And what is your degree in?

I LOVE all the cancer funds you work on! I need to get more involved. One of my Mom's brother's is a detective for LAPD and his department did a collection for my Sis and I and we donated it to Breast Cancer research, but all forms of cancer need money. I especially hate seeing little ones that get it :(

CONGRATS on custody, THAT can be one of the biggest *****es in life to deal with!

What is your degree in?

B.S. and M.S. Crim Justice - Love the criminalistics classes, my fav. and I love research. Hell, I just love school.

El Chuxter
12-08-2007, 02:43 AM
I took a massive dump today. It came on suddenly, and I was in a store, which is something I normally prefer not to do. I know the other people in the bathroom were disgusted by the noise.

Deoxyribonucleic
12-08-2007, 03:05 AM
I took a massive dump today. It came on suddenly, and I was in a store, which is something I normally prefer not to do. I know the other people in the bathroom were disgusted by the noise.

YOU just made my night! :beard: :yes:

still laughing...

Mad Slanted Powers
12-08-2007, 03:15 AM
I bet that wasn't all they were disgusted by. I'm guessing the sound was the least of their worries.

Now I'm reminded of a line from that Code Monkeys show. "I just dropped a deuce in the brownie bowl."

CaptainSolo1138
12-08-2007, 01:58 PM
I took a massive dump today. It came on suddenly, and I was in a store, which is something I normally prefer not to do. I know the other people in the bathroom were disgusted by the noise.Did you walk out of the stall and give a "point n' shoot" to the gent nearest you? I've given a "point n' shoot".

DarthQuack
12-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Hopefully it was a clean break....those are the best, one wipe and you're good.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-09-2007, 10:22 AM
My serious thread! Ruined! By meddling kids and their "potty humor." In my day we'd have [comments ignored by popular "hip" posters with their new-fangled ee-lectronics and technolOgy] And that's the truth! :mad:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-09-2007, 02:13 PM
My serious thread! Ruined! By meddling kids and their "potty humor." In my day we'd have [comments ignored by popular "hip" posters with their new-fangled ee-lectronics and technolOgy] And that's the truth! :mad:Here's something back on the serious track. I ran today for the first time in three weeks. I put up my Christmas tree yesterday, and a couple strings of lights above my front porch.

bobafrett
12-11-2007, 09:46 PM
I managed to get a bag of salt after 2 hours of driving from store to store, only to find that they were sold out. I went back to Home Depot after hearing on the radio that I truck driver was on his way there with a load of salt. I got there only to find three 50 lb bags of prestone (I think) driveway salt. We are in for ice after it spent the whole freaking day raining and tonight the tempreratures are supposed to drop below freezeing.

Tycho
12-12-2007, 05:00 PM
I have annoyed the moderators at SSG on countless occasions.

Unfortunately, I am low on my stock of new ideas for continuing to do this as of lately, and I've heard that others on the boards here have surpassed me in this capacity.

It is true that I am probably aging. I just had a birthday. It is possible that I am maturing and becoming more mellow in my old age.

But for tradition's sake, I'll give it some thought as to how to become obnoxious again. It's just that I've kind of grown tired of doing that and it's time to pass on the mantle.

Tycho
12-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Sorry to double-post, but this is so cool:

Are there some kind of miniature MP3 recorders that you can carry with you in the event this happens again? That way you might be able to post the sound file on line so all of us can share in your glorious achievement.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-25-2007, 02:50 PM
I guess this isn't what I myself have done, but I finally saw The Rockettes in person this holiday. This wasn't a lifelong goal of mine or anything, but it's one of those things that many people know about (like seeing the Globetrotters [not yet done], going up the Leaning Tower of Pisa [been there and done that], going below Niagra Falls in a boat [been there and done that], going to the White House [been there and done that], seeing the movie Titanic [not yet done], owning a cell phone [plan on NEVER doing that :eek: ], etc.) and try to accomplish at some point.

These ladies :rollRRs: can literally kick your butt... and your shoulder, your stomach, your ears...
I found them attractive.
What am I saying? They were quite HOT! :yes:

Val Da Car
01-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry to double-post, but this is so cool:

Are there some kind of miniature MP3 recorders that you can carry with you in the event this happens again? That way you might be able to post the sound file on line so all of us can share in your glorious achievement.

Yes, they can be had at TRU in the mp3 section for $20 or so.

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm waiting for someone to respond to this by simply posting, "Your mom."

(Double points if it's in green letters.)

2-1B
01-03-2008, 12:45 AM
No Chux, it's "What" have you done, not "Who" have you done...

The correct answer to "what" have you done would be Slicker's Mom

Exhaust Port
01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
I'll try to add my serious .02 in an attempt to bring the thread back on course.

In no particular order:

1. Swam in Atlantic, Pacific and Gulf of Mexico but not at the same time
2. Been to 8 non-US countries (7 if you count East and West Germany as 1)
3. Earned my CDL and drove transit and charter buses for 4 years as a college job (best job ever!)
4. Soloed an airplane
5. Earned my Private, Commerical, ATP, CFI, CFII, CFIME (with gold seal) pilot certificates and fly professionally now.
6. Have done a lot of home improvements that I'm proud of with no previous experience
7. Graduated from college (finally)
8. Bought 2 transit buses with the plan to restore them
9. Gave into peer pressure and called a flight attendants niece.
10. Married that niece 22 months later.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-03-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm waiting for someone to respond to this by simply posting, "Your mom."

(Double points if it's in green letters.) it's
Ha! Double my points now! :D

Exhaust Port, that's impressive... most impressive. But I thought your #4 said "Soiled an airplane." :eek: I just lost my double points for putting that in brown letters. :sad:

Exhaust Port
01-04-2008, 12:54 AM
Ha, I haven't soiled an airplane but I've heard a few stories of folks soiling themselves IN airplanes. Ewwww.. ;)

El Chuxter
01-04-2008, 01:05 AM
I soiled an airplane once.

Mr Panam was not happy.

TeeEye7
01-28-2008, 07:29 PM
...what are the accomplishments you've made in your lives?

I had a doctor's appointment today, and I officially hit the magic five-year mark of being cancer free! :thumbsup:

I get pretty dang nervous every time in go in for my annual check-up.....

Kidhuman
01-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Congrats TeeEye.

2-1B
01-28-2008, 10:28 PM
I had a doctor's appointment today, and I officially hit the magic five-year mark of being cancer free! :thumbsup:

Good on ya ! :)
Keep showin' The Big C who's boss. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Keep showin' The Big C who's boss. :thumbsup:

Its Tony Danza

TeeEye7
01-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. That means a lot! :thumbsup: :D

Deoxyribonucleic
01-29-2008, 02:37 AM

That just made my night! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Congrats, TeeEye!

2-1B
01-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. That means a lot! :thumbsup: :D

I take it you mean "gentlemen" in a sarcastic tone ? :confused:

Kidhuman
01-29-2008, 10:51 PM

You take what you can get.

TeeEye7
01-30-2008, 12:07 AM
That just made my night! :thumbsup:

Thank you for that good thought; especially given your experience with this nasty, nasty stuff. Your words mean so much to me. My experience was "minor league" in comparison to what you and your family had to endure. I was extremely lucky in that mine was caught very early. I am humbled by your strength, diligence, love, and compassion you had in dealing with your mom and this horrible disease. I know how lucky your mom was to have such a daughter as you, D.

No. I mean "gentlemen" in the sense that I was addressing a couple of friends, with class and understanding of my situation; whose sentiments I genuinely appreciated. There's not an ounce of sarcasm in my tone. I'm at a total loss as to how you could take my statement to mean anything else.

KH is right: you take what you get. You both get my thanks for caring about my me and my situation. And my much brighter future! :thumbsup:

Cap: Thank you, also, for your good thoughts. Like it or not....you're also a gentleman in my book! :D

2-1B
01-30-2008, 12:14 AM
No. I mean "gentlemen" in the sense that I was addressing a couple of friends, with class and understanding of my situation; whose sentiments I genuinely appreciated. There's not an ounce of sarcasm in my tone. I'm at a total loss as to how you could take my statement to mean anything else.

:thumbsup:
It had nothin' to do with your statement, just me making a statement breakin' the balls of these fellas, particular the likes of Caps:

Cap: Thank you, also, for your good thoughts. Like it or not....you're also a gentleman in my book! :D

lol lol lol

:love: Cappy :love:

CaptainSolo1138
01-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Cap: Thank you, also, for your good thoughts. Like it or not....you're also a gentleman in my book! :DShhhhhhh...that's how rumors get started.

:love:Cappy:love::thumbsup:

2-1B
01-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Stay on topic please :thumbsup: , this thread is about other people's accomplishments and not my love for SSGJesus. :love:

Deoxyribonucleic
01-30-2008, 03:05 AM
Thank you for that good thought; especially given your experience with this nasty, nasty stuff. Your words mean so much to me. My experience was "minor league" in comparison to what you and your family had to endure. I was extremely lucky in that mine was caught very early. I am humbled by your strength, diligence, love, and compassion you had in dealing with your mom and this horrible disease. I know how lucky your mom was to have such a daughter as you, D.

WOW, again, you just made my night! You are truly a gentleman :) Even though you think it was minor league, it's still so scary all the same! Keep going in for scans and please keep us posted. I'm just SO happy for ya TeeEye!

I am going to get my first mamogram this year, even though I'm 35 and the recommended age is 40.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2008, 11:52 PM
I tried out for my first non-drama play, and for the first time, I [apparently] did not get selected. But I think I was also trying out with... the guy who played Feedback on the Who Wants to Be a Superhero? TV show.

Slicker
10-11-2008, 01:20 PM
I ate dog in South Korea. Nuff' said.

Blue2th
10-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Was it tasty? Will you ever be able to look at a dog the same way again?

El Chuxter
10-12-2008, 01:23 AM
For real? My wife's entire family is Vietnamese, and they've never eaten dog. Well, except for an unfortunate incident when her sister was about two, living in Saigon, and some neighbors didn't realize that eating dog was against her family's religion. (True story.)

Bel-Cam Jos
10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
What side dishes go with that? :eek:

BTW, "I ate dog in South Korea" sure sounds like an anagram of something. Give me time, and I can come up with a phrase...

... like "Doing the rookie at USA," or "O skating door, I hate u...e."

Tycho
10-28-2008, 09:07 PM
I did nothing really today except clean the kitchen counter of stuff I just stack there and had to sort through (bills, junk-mail, etc.) and then I watched 5 hours of Smallville on DVD.

I have no food here really, so beyond the bowl of cereal I consumed and some take-home mini-burgers from Denny's that I couldn't finish last night, I will eat out again (and then finally grocery shop) but The Shield is on at 7pm (because I get Direct TV on EST -which'd be 10pm East Coast) so I must stay home another 2 hours so I can watch it.

Then I might be really hungry and In-And-Out Burger sounds like a good plan. However, I also want chips 'n salsa, and maybe a mini-taco.

Hmmm. I could get fresh-mex from the restaurant downstairs. Now that I think about it - that sounds like a good plan. Then I won't be hungry and impatient for my show to be over, but rather sit back and bask in its glory as evil conquers justice once and for all! (You got to love The Shield)

And I will have chips 'n salsa to take it all in with!

:twisted:

Mad Slanted Powers
10-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I had a few days off and spent most of it organizing my Star Wars collection. First I went through the boxes of carded figures. I had them sorted by movie, but I now have them arranged by line.

The majority of my figures are open now. Some are on display, and the rest are in the plastic storage drawers like this (http://www.akro-mils.com/image_library/view.asp?id=2636) and this (http://www.akro-mils.com/image_library/view.asp?id=2641). I went through my checklists and located where each figure was, taking the figures out of the storage drawers. I then put them back in, but tried to arrange them by movie.

I used two 24 drawer units (http://www.akro-mils.com/image_library/view.asp?id=2636) for OT figures. One unit was mostly troops. I could fit quite a few in each drawer. The other unit was more general figures, and I tried to group them by movie and location.

I used three 44 drawer units (url=http://www.akro-mils.com/image_library/view.asp?id=2641) for the PT. Each unit was dedicated to a particular movie. This was a bit harder, because half of the unit was smaller drawers. A lot of those AOTC figures with their preposed stances and large accessories required the use of the big drawers.

In the end, I ended up putting away a lot of displayed figures. I still have a lot more that I want to do in organizing. I'd like to get at least a couple more of those storage units, but I couldn't find them at Target anymore, and the price went up a lot at Fred Meyer, where they were already more than Target by a fair amount.

bobafrett
10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I worked today. I had to put a cart corral back together with four bolts, 4 nuts and 32 washers. Since it isn't really busy with bike sales, I basically just looked around the store for odd fix up jobs. Then I came home, spent some time on the computer, e-mailed a coordinator about a Tuesday appointment in the future. Then we went out to California Pizza Kitchen for dinner to celebrate my step sons 19th birthday.

El Chuxter
10-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Slicker's Mom.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Slicker's Mom.Given that the thread is about WHAT you have done, are you implying that she is not human?

pbarnard
10-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Today, determining the optimal salt concentration for structural stability of small DNA (26-mer) strand and at what temperature the hairpin changes. Really important for people doing microarrays and RNAi studies for purification reasons. That's pretty much what I do every day now. I miss working with cells.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-18-2008, 08:36 PM
After going my whole life without doing so (and feel free to check out my profile to see just HOW long that is :rolleyes: ), I finally gave blood. The school was having a blood drive, and I could only make it near the very end; literally cleaned up with all the empty bottles for recycling, too. :pleased: Now all I have to do is wait the 2-6 weeks it takes to find out what type of blood I have (not listed on my birth certificate, no one else in my fambly seemed to know either). :D

Mad Slanted Powers
11-18-2008, 08:50 PM
I've often thought about giving blood but never have. Perhaps some day.

TeeEye7
11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Excellent, BCJ! :thumbsup:
I bet it wasn't as bad as you thought, either.

It was necessary to know our blood type for medical history when I was studying in Spain. Being a poor college student, typing was done for free at the blood bank when you donated rather than going to a lab and paying a bunch to find out the answer. The experience of giving blood wasn't as bad as I thought, so I continued giving blood when I returned. I was just short of donating 6 gallons of blood when I had to stop due to my cancer.

It's a very noble thing you've done, sir! :yes:

Tycho
11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Oh good! I'm looking for more O+ blood types to be my potential kidney donor (just in case).

Rocketboy
11-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Back when I was young and dumb I didn't gave a crap about donating blood.
Now that I'm older and less dumb and want to give blood I can't (due to the medication I'm on).

sonuvab*tch.

Lord Malakite
11-19-2008, 02:33 AM
What have I done? On Tuesday November 18th, 2008 at approximately 12:30 PM EST I "unofficially" broke a real life Twin Galaxies world record. Twin Galaxies is more or less the video game equivlant of Guiness (in fact whenever Guiness has a video game record in their book it comes directly from Twin Galaxies).

Anyway, I scored 583,830 points on Game C (Balloon Trip) in the classic NES game Balloon Fight. The official top score recorded on Twin Galaxies website for Balloon Trip is 507,070. So I beat the official score by 76760 points. Unfortunately my world record will have to remain "unofficial" for the time being. :( In order to be officially included as a record holder one's score must be verified as being legit either in person by a Twin Galaxies referee (who watched you set the record from start to finish) or by a mailed in recorded video entry of your performance (from start to finish). Since I was just messing around and wasn't really trying I didn't bother to record my performance. :sad:

Jargo
11-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Back when I was young and dumb I didn't gave a crap about donating blood.
Now that I'm older and less dumb and want to give blood I can't (due to the medication I'm on).

sonuvab*tch.

know what you mean. over here, gay guys aren't allowed to donate blood. apparently the world famous free to all National health service thinks we're all disease riddled hyper-promiscuous mutant ne'er do wells. :Ogre:

sith_killer_99
11-19-2008, 09:41 AM
I have donated blood many times (A+).

I have also been to South Korea, Japan, Afghanistan and a bunch of other countries I can't name here.

Lived for an extended period of time in MN, CO, VA, HI, KY and TX.

15 Month deployment to Afghanistan.

15 years active duty Army.

Completed a laundry list of military and civilian schools.

Husband and father.

Competed in an Ultra-marathon and relay race.

mtriv73
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Saturday night I was appointed Executive Vice President of the Maryland Jaycees. Between having a toddler, work, and this position next year should be interesting (and probably sleepless.)

El Chuxter
11-19-2008, 10:29 AM
know what you mean. over here, gay guys aren't allowed to donate blood. apparently the world famous free to all National health service thinks we're all disease riddled hyper-promiscuous mutant ne'er do wells. :Ogre:

Well, I know I don't want any gay blood. Yuck. :p

Then again, a transfusion of gay blood might make straight folks coordinate their outfits better. :D

Jargo
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
mmmm. like black blood makes you dance real good. and female blood makes you drive badly and lose the ability to park, see logic and turns you into a rabid monster whenever a store has a sale on. or just turns you into a giant shoe. lol

anyway. it isn't what you do in life that counts, it's how you do it. how you conduct yourself. A clear conscience is a far greater reward than any plaudit or accolade.

Rocketboy
11-19-2008, 12:41 PM
How do they know if you're gay or not?
Its not like you have to register your sex preference with the government.

Jargo
11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
you're supposed to declare all kinds of stuff before they'll even consider you. narcotics use, current medication past medication, medical conditions pertinent to the purity of the blood, sexual preference and history. prefeence for coke or pepsi, political leaning, religious preferences. and so on and so forth.
didn't used to be like that but there were several cases of bad blood given to patients who contracted terminal illnesses via transfusion or whatever so now they're all like uber cagey about who can donate blood and organs.

beggars can't be choosers i say.

Tycho
11-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Blood just needs to be screened for diseases, period.

Yes, lifestyle choices can make one more prone to sexually transmitted illnesses. But that's why they TEST the donated blood. It's really that simple England.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Blood just needs to be screened for diseases, period.

Yes, lifestyle choices can make one more prone to sexually transmitted illnesses. But that's why they TEST the donated blood. It's really that simple England.
That's what I was thinking, but maybe there are so many things to test for that they couldn't catch everything if they didn't know what they were looking for. I've never given blood so I wouldn't know what the screening process is here.

Slicker
11-20-2008, 06:32 AM
I've given blood many times (a lot of them were in high school because it got me out of class) but I've given at least a gallon or more for testing in the military and whatnot (I just gave a few vials for HIV testing about 3 days ago) and I also used to donate plasma in VA because I got paid quite a bit. It came out to about $120 per week donating just twice a week. How could I pass that up?! :thumbsup:

Jargo
11-20-2008, 08:29 AM
I gues the cost of screening all blood dictates that they filter out those deemed to be higher risk, therefore saving on testing lots of blood that then has to be abandoned due to being full of nasties.

still, it's the priciple of it really, assuming everyone of a certain sexual persuasion is promiscuous or a drug user. some of us are safe, clean living creatures.

sorry didn't mean to start a sub thread within this thread.

*shoves thread back onto rails*

Blue2th
11-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Blood contamination is not limited to those with a certain sexual preference, and doesn't discriminate.

I knew some people who died rather than receive a blood transfusion because of their religious beliefs. They felt that strongly about it's sanctity.

It's exactly these kinds of people that have led to many breakthroughs in blood substitutes out of necessity.

Tycho
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
A very wise man by the name of Samuel Adams suggested that you can substitute alcohol for blood. I think Jim Coors arrived at the same conclusion, as did Captain Morgan.

I'd love a donation right now ;)

Qui-Long Gone
11-20-2008, 02:20 PM
A very wise man by the name of Samuel Adams suggested that you can substitute alcohol for blood. I think Jim Coors arrived at the same conclusion, as did Captain Morgan.

I'd love a donation right now ;)

Tycho,

I'd donate one to you and one to myself! lol

pbarnard
11-20-2008, 02:24 PM
It's exactly these kinds of people that have led to many breakthroughs in blood substitutes out of necessity.

Or as we call that in the lab, "happy accidents":thumbsup:

bobafrett
11-20-2008, 11:34 PM
I give blood fairly regularly as time permits. Sometimes I give platelets, sometimes red blood cells, sometimes whole blood. I do it for the juice and cookies they have afterwards, also the positive feeling I get from helping out.

They do ask you a lot of questions concerning your sex life when you get screened. They also ask if you have visited a list of certain countries, if you have been incarcerated, have you ever shared a needle with someone, and other fun questions.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2008, 11:48 PM
They do ask you a lot of questions concerning your sex life when you get screened. They also ask if you have visited a list of certain countries, if you have been incarcerated, have you ever shared a needle with someone, and other fun questions.I had those same questions, but having them asked of me at a school was quite weird; I was hoping those were the questions just asked of adults. Countries in questions that were mentioned: England, France, and the continent of Africa. No problems with Australia, Asia, or South America? :confused:

And back to the general question of THIS thread, just like the poster I have on my classroom wall: "I broke my career best today; I've lived longer than I ever have before." :pleased:

Blue2th
11-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Maybe the reason they ask all these questions is they couldn't possibly screen every pint of blood that gets donated. It's just logistically impossible to screen for everything.

Makes you wonder if something gets through from time to time, then 28 days later...

As far as what I've done lately: I voted, got someone to vote for the first time, got someone to switch who they were going to vote for.

pbarnard
11-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Maybe the reason they ask all these questions is they couldn't possibly screen every pint of blood that gets donated. It's just logistically impossible to screen for everything.

Makes you wonder if something gets through from time to time, then 28 days later...

As far as what I've done lately: I voted, got someone to vote for the first time, got someone to switch who they were going to vote for.

With 96 and 144 well plates, it really isn't. Talking maybe .5 ML (maximum) of blood. The only expensive part is using the antibody or finding something that would screen for common pathogens. Slide that in a spectrophotometer that reads well plates, and you've screen for diseases in about the time it takes to prepare the plate (less than 5 minutes).

TeeEye7
11-21-2008, 11:28 AM
....if you have been incarcerated...

I wish my blood bank would use that word. On their questionnaire, they use the word "jail". I would always mess with them over that when they'd ask me and I'd reply "frequently". After a surprised and sometimes worried look, I'd tell them what I did for a living. lol

It's nice having a "get out of jail free card!" :thumbsup:

Tycho
11-23-2008, 04:42 PM
They do ask you a lot of questions concerning your sex life when you get screened. They also ask if you have visited a list of certain countries, if you have been incarcerated, have you ever shared a needle with someone, and other fun questions.

I corrupted the Captain's Log when I was captured and held prisoner on Romulus where they injected all of their prisoners of war with the same needle to deliver truth serum. Rest assured though, I didn't give away any United Federation of Planets secrets!

But my blood is kind of blue now and my ears are growing pointed. Also when I see Kristin Kruek, I think I lapse into an episode of Pon Far.

sith_killer_99
11-23-2008, 05:21 PM
But my blood is kind of blue now and my ears are growing pointed. Also when I see Kristin Kruek, I think I lapse into an episode of Pon Far.

Perhaps that is because Kristen Kruek is an alien. Seriously, bulbous cranium, large almond shaped eyes and a small pointy chin.

If her complexion were gray and she were bald she could have played a "gray" on the X-Files dude!:alien:

Tycho
11-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Kristin Kruek is NOT an alien!

TeeEye7
11-23-2008, 08:13 PM
SK99 is right: she's Canadian. That makes her an alien in the US. :p

;)

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2008, 12:37 PM
SK99 is right: she's Canadian. That makes her an alien in the US. :p

;)Everyone sing along with Genesis: "It's, no fun, bein' an illegal a-li-un."

One other thing I hope to do this long weekend is finally see a James Bond film in theaters.

Tycho
11-24-2008, 01:02 PM
I rented Casino Royale. I'd never seen it before and the new one is a continuation.

It started really exciting and then sort of slowed down tremendously. The end was alright - different (the fight in the collapsing building), but I didn't come away from it loving the movie or anything.

I do think Daniel Craig was cool as Bond though. "M" was interesting and the girl was hot of course. Glass-Eye was a good villain too, I suppose.

I might watch it again but I have to return my rented copy today and I enjoy other movies more. Tropic Thunder was a lot of fun.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I've never seen an entire Bond movie. I remember seeing the beginning of The Spy Who Loved Me a couple times when it was on TV, and perhaps a couple others around that time. I see Comcast has them all on Demand now, at least some of which are free. If I had time right now I'd watch some, but too many other TV shows that I'm watching now.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I now have a card that shows I'm perfect. ('naked' Threepio says: "Perfect?")

Got my blood type results, and I'm A+. :p I actually did put it in on my refrigerator under a magnet. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
02-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Today is the 15th anniversary of my 16,728 mile sojourn across the southern west and east of the country, which is an average of about 187 miles per day (and there were some days I never drove my car, so it's really higher than that). And every Feb. 13 I feel my wanderlust growing once again... :pleased: One of these years... I'll get to the places I didn't reach, or actually write about it in manuscript form.

bobafrett
02-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Um thanks for bringing this up. Everyone already pretty much knows what I did, and if you don't you can go to the front page of this very site, while supplies last!

pbarnard
02-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Um thanks for bringing this up. Everyone already pretty much knows what I did, and if you don't you can go to the front page of this very site, while supplies last!

Organs or web pages?

On that note, I'm going to have a poster presented at an upcoming conference on biotechnology.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2009, 11:15 AM
Um thanks for bringing this up. Everyone already pretty much knows what I did, and if you don't you can go to the front page of this very site, while supplies last!You're doing the site's NY Toy Faire coverage? Sweet!

[whisper, whisper]

Whoa! Really? Even sweeter! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I just got back from a 3-hour tour... a 3-hour tour. Sort of. The performing arts center in our area has asked me to help them with various events, in costume. So I was The Professor, along with The Rest.

What roles have I played for them?

on stage, in plays:
- Our Town as Joe Stoddard (undertaker), wedding attendee, & choir emsemble
- To Kill a Mockingbird as bailiff, off-stage hick voice, Nathan (not Boo) Radley

in other events:
- "Howling Mad" Murdock in the A-Team (award winning, too! :D )
- Atticus Finch (from TKAM Big Read)
- Fonzie (that event got cancelled, but I still showed up :ayyy: )
- Guess-What-Type-of-Negative-Employee-I-Am (for a business training session)
- whatever (while in a couple of improv classes)
- Sam Spade (from The Maltese Falcon Big Read)
- Prince Charming (with Cinderella)
- tall tale teller cowboy
- The Professor (of Gilligan's Island)

I really enjoy all these! :pleased:

Qui-Long Gone
05-22-2009, 01:13 AM
I really enjoy all these! :pleased:

Including raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens....?:yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
05-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I send you dog bites and bee stings, Q-LG, for mocking my favorite things! :mad:

Sorry; that was mean of me. :sad: Now I DO feel, so bad... :p

TeeEye7
05-23-2009, 11:09 AM

Your punishment should be to run around in an outfit made from window curtains!

Qui-Long Gone
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I send you dog bites and bee stings, Q-LG, for mocking my favorite things! :mad:

Simply remember your favorite things and then you won't feel so bad. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
What have I done??? Well this is my 3,351st post on this version of SSG.

Tycho
05-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I play an insane message board poster named Tycho on SirStevesGuide.com - Josh

EDIT: [Josh - no one said you could use my password and log on! :mad: I am not insane I am just inspired!!! - Tycho]

EDIT: Doctor - Josh / Tycho would you please take your medacine for your schizophrenia with advanced first degree narcissism?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2009, 11:06 PM
Uh, Tycho. This thread is what YOU have done, not what YOU ALL have done. :rolleyes:

Blue2th
05-28-2009, 11:17 PM
It's that Borg Collective chip the doc put in there. ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
05-28-2009, 11:31 PM
This thread title always reminds me of the Minor Threat song "In My Eyes", which has the line, "What the [expletive] have you done?"

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2009, 11:16 AM
This thread title always reminds me of the Minor Threat song "In My Eyes", which has the line, "What the [expletive] have you done?"No! This is supposed to be about positive things! :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
No! This is supposed to be about positive things! :thumbsup:
Well, depending on how you look at it, the song could be positive. It is critical of certain people, but it could also be a call to do your own thing and not just go along with what other people say and do.

You tell me you like the taste
You just need an excuse
You tell me it calms your nerves
You just think it looks cool
You tell me you want to be different
You just change for the same
You tell me it's only natural
You just need the proof
Did you [expletive] get it?

It's in my eyes, it's in my eyes (x4)
And it doesn't look that way to me In my eyes (x2)

You tell me that nothing matters
You're just [expletive] scared
You tell me that I'm better
You just hate yourself
You tell me that you like her
You just wish you did
You tell me that I make no difference
Well at least I'm [expletive] trying
What the [expletive] have you done?

It's in my eyes, it's in my eyes (x4)
And it doesn't look that way to me In my eyes (x2)

Qui-Long Gone
08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
^I think that was either my prom song or I lost my virginity a second time to that tune....:pleased:

Tycho
09-25-2009, 02:43 AM
I am taking cooking classes. These are my teachers: Linda, Reggie, and Patricia.

Reggie is also a published author and has been a source of advice for me on my novel. He's read it and liked it a lot, too.

bobafrett
09-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm glad to hear your still working on your novel! Cooking classes though, where did that come from? Are you trying to make yourself knowlegable so you can prepare fine cuisine for the ladies?

Tycho
09-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm glad to hear your still working on your novel! Cooking classes though, where did that come from? Are you trying to make yourself knowlegable so you can prepare fine cuisine for the ladies?

Do you realize how many girls versus guys go to cooking classes?

Who's talking about "preparing." When a GUY arrives at cooking class - it's ON!

But it's great to be knowledgeable about a great many things.

sith_killer_99
09-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Do you realize how many girls versus guys go to cooking classes?

Who's talking about "preparing." When a GUY arrives at cooking class - it's ON!

But it's great to be knowledgeable about a great many things.

This is the reason my friends and I took Home-Ec in school one semester.

The ratio was approx. 4 to 1. Cooking was great, sewing sucked!

TeeEye7
09-27-2009, 01:12 PM
This past Friday (the 25th) was my 24th anniversary with the department.

bobafrett
09-27-2009, 02:15 PM
This past Friday (the 25th) was my 24th anniversary with the department.

He see's lots of Dead people.

sith_killer_99
09-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Today I rescued a dog from a shelter here in Killeen, Texas, walked in, adopted him and left within 15 minutes.

Great little dog, good with the kids, laid back, sweet disposition, almost never barks.

He is 2 years old, house trained, crate trained, well socialized. Brown/tan in color, smooth coat, looks to be a Rat Terrier mix (maybe some Chihuahua and or dachshund).

I will post pics later.

He is thin, very thin, he looks sorta like the dog "Santa's Little Helper" from "The Simpsons" only about 1/4 the size (height wise).

I got lots of stuff for him, good food, a crate, toys, food/water bowls, leash and harness. Most importantly I gave him a much needed bath!!! Also took him for his first walk, with my daughter.

Taking him to the vet. this week, shots, microchip, neutered, etc.

Tycho
09-28-2009, 12:07 AM
That's a good thing you're doing there, SK.

Ruff Ruff!

You're a dog-gone good person! :yes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I got engaged last monday!! :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Congrats JMG! May you be the Dynamic Duo forever! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
10-26-2009, 07:29 PM

Congratulations!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Many thanks for the congrats and words!!! We're both very excited!! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Congratulations! But I thought Jedi Masters weren't supposed to get married . . . :p

DarkArtist
10-29-2009, 06:49 PM
let's see:

married my beautiful wife Tara in October 2005
graduated Magna Cum Laude from FIT in 1999
worked for Walt Disney World in 1996
became licensed by the State of NJ as an Inspector of Hotels and Multiple Dwellings 2009
became an uncle in 1999, 2005, and soon in 2010
bought a house in 2009 (currently trying to work on house)
got to finally go to Toy Fair 2009

El Chuxter
10-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Woah, how'd I miss this? Congrats, homie-g! :D

Kidhuman
11-07-2009, 10:43 AM

Congrats Monkey Man

DarkArtist
11-07-2009, 01:10 PM

That's awesome.... congrats JMG.:thumbsup:

JEDIpartner
11-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Awesome news!!!!!

Tycho
11-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Good work Dark Artist!

TeeEye7
01-07-2010, 04:16 AM
I worked in another record year for homicides in my area (combining city and county statistics...25 for the city.). 2009 saw us tie the all-time record of 98 homicides in a year (the record was established in 1994).

I worked 17 out of the 98 cases this past year. I'd have to do some checking to see how many I worked in 1994. The majority of the cases were either gang related or domestic abuse cases this year (as is the norm).

Can't we all just get along?

[edit] Update: I worked 8 homicides in 1994. We were fully staffed with 13 people in those days; unlike now since 6 people were laid off this year due to budget cuts and one retirement.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I can add in one, that fits several areas. I finally a) saw Ohio St. play a football game in person, b) finally saw a college bowl game, and c) finally attended a Rose Bowl game! And the Buckeyes won! My dad says he saw me on TV; he actually said, "you were wearing red and an Ohio State hat, right?" ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
I can add in one, that fits several areas. I finally a) saw Ohio St. play a football game in person, b) finally saw a college bowl game, and c) finally attended a Rose Bowl game! And the Buckeyes won! My dad says he saw me on TV; he actually said, "you were wearing red and an Ohio State hat, right?" ;)

My mom, sister and one of my brothers went to the 1976 Rose Bowl when UCLA beat Ohio State. The only college football game I ever went to was a Western Washington vs. Central Washington game in the early 90's. Alas, WWU dropped the football program last year.

bigbarada
01-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I've met Brock Lesnar and I inadvertantly ticked him off so bad that I'm pretty sure he wanted to punch me in the face. :eek:

I've also met Marcus Luttrell, ex-Navy SEAL and author of Lone Survivor (an EXCELLENT book if you haven't had a chance to read it yet).

Neuroleptic
01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Compleated my first year of full time college with straight As and Bs toward my secondary art education degree. Im ready for the next round of classes to begin already.

sith_killer_99
01-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Last year I went to Haiti to help out after the big earth quake, I ended up spending a couple of months there.

Then over the summer I drove across much of the country visiting family and friends. It was the longest road trip we've ever been on as a family. We took the dog with us, luckily he's small. lol :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
01-07-2011, 06:39 PM
I'm actually one of the pirates who don't do anything. I just stay home, and lay around. And if you ask me to do anything, I'll just tell you, I don't do anything. :tired:

sith_killer_99
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Along the "sports" line.

While I was in Hawaii I attended the Pro Bowl, John Elway was on the roster, but did not play due to injury. :cry:

Watched my Colorado Buffalo's play (and WIN) in the Aloha Bowl against the Oregon Ducks.

Attended several hockey games, while stationed in VA (Washington Caps).

Attended a Colorado Rockies game against AZ with my uncle....who is a BIG AZ fan. AZ won. ;)

I don't really like watching baseball on TV, but I do enjoy live games. Football is good anytime, hockey is fun to watch live, but easier to watch on TV.

I am not a basketball fan.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm curious if this list (LISTS... :drool: ) will fit, or if the text will require multiple-posts. Here's a compliation of all the places I've visited or lived, with some specific locations at each in some cases.

1. Acadian Village, LA
- Mississippi Valley Museum
2. Agora Hills, CA
- Paramount Ranch
3. Agua Dolce, CA
- Vasquez Rocks County Park
4. Alamogordo, NM
- Oliver Lee Memorial Campground
5. Albuquerque, NM
- Acoma Pueblo
- Albuquerque Museum
- University of New Mexico
6. Alexandria, LA
7. Alpine Meadows, CA
8. Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
9. Anaheim, CA
- Anaheim Convention Center
- Angels Stadium/International Field of Anaheim
- Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim
- Disneyland
- Disney’s California Adventure
- Downtown Disney
10. Apple Valley, CA
11. Arcadia, CA
- Los Angeles Arboretum
12. Arkadelphia, AR
13. Assisi, Italy
- Basilica de San Francesco
14. Aurora, OH
- Sea World
15. Austin, TX
- Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
- Botanical Gardens
- Driskill Hotel
- Governor’s Mansion
- Mount Bonnell
- Natural Bridge Caverns
- Texas State Capitol
- Texas State Cemetery
- Umlauf Sculpture Garden
- University of Texas
- Zilker Park
16. Austintown, OH
17. Avery Island, LA
- Tabasco Pepper Sauce Factory
18. Avignon, France
- Palace of the Popes
19. Azusa, CA
- Azusa Pacific University
20. Baker, CA
21. Balboa Island, CA
22. Balmorea, TX
- Balmorea State Park
23. Bandolier National Monument, NM
24. Baton Rouge, LA
- Louisiana State Capitol
- Louisiana State University
- Old State Capitol
25. Bardstown, KY
- My Old Kentucky Home State Park
26. Barstow, CA
- Calico Ghost Town
27. Benson, AZ
- Kartchner Caverns State Park
-
28. Bentonville, AR
- Wal-Mart Visitor’s Center
29. Berryville, AR
30. Big Bear, CA
31. Birmingham, AL
- Cherokee Beach Kamper Kampground
- De Soto Caverns
32. Bisbee, AZ
33. Biloxi, MS
- Beauvoir Jefferson Davis Home
34. Blythe, CA
35. Boardman, OH
- Forest Lawn Cemetery
36. Boerne, TX
37. Bolivar, TN
38. Borrego Springs, CA
- Anza-Borego State Park
39. Boulder City, NV
- Hoover Dam
40. Bradenton, FL
- De Soto National Monument
41. Brice Crossroads National Battlefield Site, MS
42. Brunswick, GA
43. Buena Park, CA
- Knott’s Berry Farm
- Medieval Times
- Movieland Wax Museum
44. Bushell, FL
- Dade Battlefield State Memorial Site
45. Cabazon, CA
46. Caddo Valley, AR
47. Calabasas, CA
48. Cambria, CA
- Nit Wit Ridge House
49. Camp Verde, AZ
50. Cancun, Mexico
- Bananas Beach Club
- Cancun Airport
- Chichen Itza
- Hard Rock Cafe
51. Canton, MI
52. Canton, OH
- Professional Football Hall of Fame
53. Canyon de Chelly, AZ
- Cottonwood Campground
54. Carlsbad, CA
- Legoland
55. Carlsbad Caverns National Park, NM
56. Carmel-By-the Sea, CA
57. Carson City, NV
- Nevada State Capitol
58. Casa Grande, AZ
- Casa Grande Ruins National Monument
59. Cascade Caverns, TX
60. Caverns of Sonora, TX
61. Charleston, SC
- Fort Sumter National Monument
- Oak Plantation Campground
62. Chattanooga, TN
63. Cherry Valley, CA
64. Chester, WV
65. Chicago, IL
- O’Hare International Airport
66. Choke Canyon State Park, TX
67. Claremont, CA
- Bridges Auditorium
- Cahuilla Park
- Candlelight Pavilion
- Claremont McKenna College
- Harvey Mudd College
- Pomona College
- Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden
- Scripps College
68. Clearwater, FL
69. Cleveland, OH
- Cleveland Municipal/Browns Stadium
- Cleveland Museum of Art
- Flats, The
- Hopkins International Airport
- Jacob’s Field
- Rock ‘N Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
70. Clinton, AR
71. Cochise, CA
72. Cochise Stronghold, AZ
73. Cologne, Germany
- High Gothic Cathedral
74. Colossal Cave, AZ
75. Columbia, TN
- Mule Day
76. Columbiana, OH
- Firestone Park
77. Columbus, MS
- Mississippi State University
78. Columbus, OH
- Battelle Riverfront park
- Columbus Museum of Art
- Franklin Park Conservatory
- German Village
- McFerson Commons
- Ohio Historical Center
- Ohio Statehouse
- Ohio State University, The
- Port Columbus International Airport
- Short North Arts District
- Topiary Garden
79. Concord, TN
80. Conneaut, PA
- Fairyland Forest
81. Corbin, KY
- Original Kentucky Fried Chicken Restaurant
82. Corona, CA
- Tom’s Farms
83. Corona del Mar, CA
84. Corpus Christi, TX
- Nueces County Park
- Texas A & M University, Corpus Christi
85. Cosmic Cavern, AR
86. Costa Mesa, CA
- Orange County Performing Arts Center
87. Crater of Diamonds State Park, AR
88. Cullman, AL
89. Dallas, TX
- C.R. Smith Museum
- Dallas International Airport
- Williams Square
90. Dana Point, CA
91. Death Valley, CA
- Ashford Mill Ruins
- Badlands Basin
- Dante’s View
- Devil’s Cornfield
- Devil’s Golf Course
- Golden Canyon
- Harmony Borax Works Ruins
- Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes
- Natural Bridge
- Scotty’s Castle
- Zabriske Point
92. Del Mar, Ca
- Del Mar Racetrack
93. Denver, CO
- Denver International Airport
94. Detroit, MI
- Detroit Metro Wayne County Airport
95. Devil’s Millhopper State Geographic Site, FL
96. Devore, CA
- Glen Helen Regional Park
97. Dickinson, TX
98. Dragoon, AZ
- Amerind Museum
99. Eddyville, KY
100. El Cajon, CA
101. El Paso, TX
102. Elgin, AZ
103. Ensenada, Mexico
- La Bufadora
104. Espanola, NM
105. Eureka Springs, AR
- Eureka Springs Historic Museum
- Great Passion Play
- Onyx Cave and Button and Doll Museum
- Pivot Rock and Natural Bridge
- Rosalie House
106. Farragut, TN
- Concord Campground
107. Fayetteville, AR
- University of Arkansas
108. Fayetteville, TN
109. Flagstaff, AZ
110. Flint, MI
111. Florence, AL
- Veterans’ Memorial Park
112. Florence, Italy
- Academia
- Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore
- Piazzo del Signoria
- Santa Croce Church
113. Florida Caverns State Park, FL
114. Fonainebleau Palace, France
115. Fontana, CA
- California Speedway
- Heritage Park
116. Fort Morgan, AL
117. Fort Smith, AR
118. Fort Stockton, TX
119. Fort Worth, TX
- Fort Worth Zoo
- Terrant County Junior College
120. Four Corners National Monument, AZ/CO/NM/UT
121. Frankenmuth, MI
- Bonner’s Christmas Decorations
122. Furnace Creek, CA
- Borax Museum
- Furnace Creek Inn
- Furnace Creek Ranch
- Furnace Creek Visitor Center
123. Gainesville, FL
- University of Florida
124. Galveston, TX
- Bishop’s Palace
- Galveston Island State Park
- Moody Mansion
- Texas Heroes Monument
125. Garden Grove, CA
- Crystal Cathedral
126. Gatlinburg, TN
- Cades Cove
- Great Smokey Mountains National Park
- Wa-Floy Mountain Village
127. Genoa, OH
128. Gila Bend, AZ
129. Girard, OH
130. Glendale, CA
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park
131. Glendora, CA
- Citrus College
132. Gordon, TX
133. Grand Canyon National Park, AZ
- Bright Angel Campground
- Desert Watchtower
- El Tovar Hotel
- Gardens Campground
134. Guadalupe Mountains National Park, TX
- Pine Springs Campground
135. Gulf Shores, AL
136. Hacienda Heights, CA
- His Lai Buddhist Temple
137. Harrison, TN
- Harrsion Bay State Park
138. Hartville, OH
139. Heidelburg, Germany
140. Henry Horton State Park, TN
141. Hesperia, CA
142. Hobe Sound, FL
- Jonathan Dickinson State Park
143. Hollbrook, AZ
144. Hollywood, CA
- Grauman’s Chinese Theater
- Hollywood Bowl
- Kodak Theater
- Pantages Theater
145. Honolulu, HI
- Byoda-in Temple
- Honolulu Airport
- Iolani Palace
- Pearl Harbor Memorial
- Polynesian Cultural Center
146. Hope, AR
147. Hot Springs, AR
- Hot Springs National Park
- Mount Ida
148. Houston, TX
149. Hubbard, OH
- Harding Park
- Hubbard Cemetery
150. Huntsville, AL
- University of Alabama, Huntsville
151. Imperial Beach, CA
152. Inglewood, CA
- Great Western Forum
153. Jacksonville, NC
154. Jefferson City, TN
- May Springs Campground
155. Joshua Tree National Monument, CA
156. Junction, TX
- South Llano River State Park
157. Junction City, AR
158. Jupiter, FL
159. Kempner, TX
160. Kill Devil Hills, NC
- Wright Brothers National Memorial
161. Knoxville, TX
- Bagwell Communications Center
- Sunsphere
- University of Tennessee
162. Koko Head, HI
- Blowhole
163. Lafayette, LA
164. Lake Arrowhead, CA
- Lake Arrowhead Village
165. Las Cruces, NM
- New Mexico State University
166. Lake Elsinore, CA
- Diamond, The
167. Lake Tahoe, NV
168. Las Vegas, NV
- Liberace Museum
- McCarran International Airport
169. La Verne, CA
- University of La Verne
170. Lawrenceburg, TN
- David Crockett State Park
171. Liberty, OH
- Liberty Park
172. Lisbon, OH
173. Little Rock, AR
- Arkansas State Capitol
174. Lompoc, CA
- La Purisma Mission State Historic Park
175. London, England
- British Museum
- Buckingham Palace
- Hard Rock Cafe
- Heathrow Airport
- Hyde Park
- Madam Tussaud’s Max Museum
- Picadilly Square
- St. Paul’s Cathedral
- Tower Bridge
- Tower of London
- Westminster Abbey
176. Long Beach, CA
- Queen Mary and Spruce Goose
177. Lookout Mountain, GA
- Lookout Mountain and Point Park
- Rock City Gardens
178. Lorelei Rock, Germany
179. Los Angeles, CA
- Armand Hammer Museum
- Bunker Hill Steps
- California ScienCenter museum
- Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels
- Dodger Stadium
- Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
- El Pueblo de Los Angeles
- Exposition Park
- Farmers Market
- Fashion Institute of Design and Marketing
- George C. Page Museum
- Greek Theatre
- Griffith Observatory
- Griffith Park
- Hard Rock Cafe
- J. Paul Getty Museum
- La Brea Tar Pits
- Los Angeles Children’s Museum
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- Los Angeles International Airport
- Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
- Mark Taper Forum
- Mormon Temple
- Museum of the American West
- Museum of Tolerance
- Orpheum Theater
- St. Sophia Cathedral
- Staples Center
- University of Southern California
- Walt Disney Concert Hall
180. Los Alamitos, CA
- Los Alamitos Racetrack
181. Los Osos, CA
- Baywood Park
182. Lucerne, Switzerland
- Chapel Bridge
- Lake Lucerne
- Mount Stanserhorn
183. Lynchburg, TN
- Jack Daniel’s Distillery
184. Malibu, CA
- - Getty Villa
185. Manteo, NC
- Cypress Cove Campground
186. Marianna, FL
187. Memphis, TN
- Confederate Park
- Lowenstein-Long Castle Hostel
- Memphis College of Art and Overton Park
- Memphis State University
- National Civil Rights Museum
188. Mercer, PA
189. Meredith Vineyards, VA
190. Meridian, MS
191. Mexico Beach, FL
192. Minden, LA
193. Mobile, AL
- Chickasobue park
- Fort Conde
- USS Alabama Memorial Park
194. Monte Carlo, Monaco
195. Monterey, CA
- Cannery Row
- Seventeen-Mile Drive
196. Montezuma Castle, AZ
197. Montgomery, AL
- Alabama State Capitol
- State Archives and History Museum
- First White House of the Confederacy
198. Morro Bay, CA
199. Moundville, AL
- Mound State Monument
200. Mountain Home, AR
201. Mt. Baldy, CA
202. Murfreesboro, TN
- Livestock Pavilion
- Middle Tennessee State University
203. Mustang Island, TX
204. Nags Head, NC
- Bodie Island Lighthouse
205. Nashville, TN
- Fort Nashborough
- Hermitage, The
- Opryland Hotel
206. Natchez Trace Parkway, TN
- Meriwether Lewis Monument
207. Natural Bridge, Al
208. Navarre, FL
209. Nevada City, CA
210. Newark, OH
- Newark Earthworks State Memorial
211. Newbury, OH
- Nelson-Kennedy Ledges State Park
212. New Iberia, LA
- Belmont Campground
- Live Oak Gardens
213. New Orleans, LA
- Archbishop Antoine Blanc Memorial
- French Quarter
- Garden District
- Greenwood Cemetery
- Jackson Square
- Loyola University of the South
- New Orleans Museum of Art and City Park
- St. Louis Cathedral
- Tulane University
- University of New Orleans
214. Newport Beach, CA
215. New York, NY
216. Niagra Falls, Canada
217. Nice, France
218. Niland, CA
- Salvation Mountain

219. Niles, OH
- William McKinley Birthplace Memorial
220. Nueces County Park, TX
221. Oak Glen, CA
- Oak Glen Campground
222. Oakland, CA
- Oakland International Airport
223. Ocala, FL
224. Odessa, TX
225. Ontario, CA
- Citizens Business Bank Arena
- Gardiner Warner Spring Auditorium
- Graber Olive House
- Guasti Regional Park
- Museum of History and Art
- Ontario Convention Center
- Ontario International Airport
- Ontario Motor Speedway
226. Orlando, FL
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Disneyworld (Magic Kingdom)
- Downtown Disney
- EPCOT
- Orlando International Airport
227. Oro Valley, AZ
228. Oxford, MS
- University of Mississippi
229. Ozona, TX
- David Crockett Monument
230. Palace of Versailles, France
231. Palm Desert, CA
- College of the Desert
232. Palm Springs, CA
- Living Desert Zoo and Gardens
- Palm Canyon
- Palm Springs Aerial Tramway
- Palm Springs Desert Museum
233. Panama City, FL
234. Paris, France
- Eiffel Tower
- Louvre
- Notre Dame Cathedral
- Sacre Couer Cathedral
235. Pasadena, CA
- Norton Simon Museum
- Pasadena Civic Auditorium
- Rose Bowl
- Victory Park
236. Pearblossom, CA
- Devil’s Postpile National Monument
- St. Andrew’s Priory
237. Pencil Bluff, AR
- Big Brushy Park
238. Pensacola, FL
- Fort Barrancas and National Museum of Naval Aviation
239. Perris, CA
- Lake Perris Fairgrounds
- Orange Empire Rail Museum
240. Perry, FL
241. Phoenix, AZ
- America West Arena
- Arizona Mining and Minerals Museum
- Arizona State Capitol
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport
242. Pigeon Forge, TN
243. Pisa, Italy
- Leaning Tower of Pisa
244. Pittsburgh, PA
- Carnegie University
- Civic Arena
- Duquesne Overlook/Incline
- Hard Rock Cafe
- Heinz Field
- Pittsburgh International Airport
- PNC Park
- Point State Park
- Station Square
- Three Rivers Stadium
- University of Pittsburgh
245. Plymouth, MI
246. Point Lobos State Reserve, CA
247. Poland, OH
248. Pomona, CA
- California Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Los Angeles County Fairgrounds
249. Raleigh, NC
250. Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Chaffey College
- Chaffey Community Art Association Museum of Art
- Epicenter Adult Sports Complex
- Heritage Park
- John Rains House
- Lewis Family Playhouse
- Red Hill Park
- Thomas Winery
- Wignall Museum and Gallery
251. Rancho Mirage, CA
252. Redlands, CA
- Fisherman’s Retreat
- San Bernardino County Museum
- University of Redlands
253. Reno, NV
- Moana Stadium
- Montreux Golf and Country Club
- Reno/Tahoe International Airport
- University of Reno, Nevada
254. Riverside, CA
- Benedict Castle
- Historic Fox Theater
- Jurupa Mountains Cultural Center
- Mission Inn
- University of California, Riverside
255. Rogers, AR
256. Rome, Italy
- Campidoglio/Spanish Steps
- Catacombs
- Circus Maximus
- Coliseum
- Forum
- Leonardo DaVinci Airport
- Palatine Hill
- Pantheon
- Trevi Fountain
- Victor Emmanuel III Monument
257. Roswell, NM
- Bottomless Lakes State Park
- New Mexico Military Institution
- Roswell Museum and Art Center
258. Ruby Falls Caverns, GA
259. Russell Cave National Monument, AL
260. Sacramento, CA
- California State Capitol
- Governor’s Mansion
- Old Sacramento
261. St. Augustine, FL
- Bridge of Lions
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument
- Cathedral of St. Augustine
- Fountain of Youth Archeological Park
- Lighthouse Museum
262. St. Louis, MO
- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport
263. St. Petersburg, FL
- Al Lang Stadium
- Pinellas Park
- Salvador Dali Museum
264. Salem, OH
265. Salton Sea, CA
266. San Antonio, TX
- Alamo
- Hard Rock Cafe
- Hemisfair Park
- Menger Hotel
- Natural Bridge Caverns
- Paseo del Rio/Riverwalk
- San Antonio International Airport
- University of Texas, San Antonio
267. San Bernardino, CA
- California State University, San Bernardino
- Camp Hunt
- Robert V. Fullerton Art Museum
268. San Diego, CA
- Balboa Park
- Bazaar del Mundo
- Cabrillo National Monument
- Gaslamp District
- Hard Rock Cafe
- Jack Murphy/Qualcomm Stadium
- Old Town San Diego
- San Diego Convention Center
- San Diego Natural History Museum
- San Diego Zoo
- Seaport Village
269. San Dimas, CA
270. Sandusky, OH
- Cedar Point
271. San Francisco, CA
- Coit Memorial Tower
- Fisherman’s Wharf
- Golden Gate National Recreation Area
- San Francisco International Airport
- Yerba Buena Center of the Arts
272. San Gabriel, CA
- Mission San Gabriel Arcangel
273. San Juan Capistrano, CA
- Mission San Juan Capistrano
274. San Luis Obispo, CA
- Apple Farm
275. San Marino, CA
- Huntington Library
276. San Pedro, CA
277. San Simeon, CA
- Hearst Castle
- San Simeon State Park
278. Santa Barbara, CA
- Mission Santa Barbara
- Santa Barbara Courthouse
- Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History’s Sea Center
279. Santa Catalina Island, CA
- Emerald Bay Camp
280. Santa Fe, NM
- New Mexico State Capitol
281. Santa Monica, CA
- Santa Monica Pier
- 3rd Street Promenade
282. Sarasota, FL
283. Seal Beach, CA
284. Selma, AL
- Old Cahawba
285. Selmer, TN
286. Shelbyville, TN
287. Shiloh National Military Park
288. Shreveport, LA
- Louisiana State University, Shreveport
289. Sierra Vista, AZ
- Fort Huachuca
290. Silver Lake Recreation Area, FL
291. Silver Springs, FL
- Ben’s Hitching Post Campground
292. Simi Valley, CA
- Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum
293. Slidell, LA
294. Solvang, CA
295. Star City, AR
- Cane Creek State Park
296. Stead, NV
297. Stones River Battlefield Memorial, TN
298. Stovepipe Wells, CA
299. Struthers, OH
300. Stuart, FL
- Phipps Park
301. Stubblefield Lake Park, TX
302. Tallahassee, FL
- Florida State Capitol
- Florida State University
303. Tampa, FL
304. Taos, NM
305. Temecula, CA
306. Tempe, AZ
- Arizona State University
307. Texarkana, TX
- Clear Springs Park
308. Thermal, CA
- Oasis Date Gardens
309. Tijuana, Mexico
310. Titusville, FL
- Astronaut Hall of Fame
- Kennedy Space Center, Spaceport USA
311. Toledo, OH
- The Docks
- Toledo Botanical Gardens/Toledo Arts Club
- Toledo Museum of Art
- University of Toeldo
312. Tombstone, AZ
313. Townsend, TN
314. Truth or Consequences, NM
- Geronimo Springs Museum
315. Tucson, AZ
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
- University of Arizona
316. Tupelo, MS
- Tombigbee State Park
317. Tuscaloosa, AL
- University of Alabama
318. Tuscumbia, AL
- Ivy Green
319. Universal City, CA
- Hard Rock Cafe
- Universal City Walk
- Universal Studios
320. Upland, CA
- Grove Theater
- Madonna of the Trail Monument/Ye Bridle Path
- Upland Memorial Park
321. Valencia, CA
- Six Flags Magic Mountain
322. Valentine Lake North Shore Park
323. Valyermo, CA
- St. Andrew’s Priory
324. Vatican City, Italy
- St. Peter’s Cathedral
- Sistine Chapel
- Vatican Museums
325. Venice, Italy
- Grand Canal
- Piazza San Marco
326. Victorville, CA
- Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum
327. Waco, TX
- Baylor University
328. Walnut, CA
- Mount San Antonio College
329. Warrior, AL
- Ave Maria Grotto
330. Washington, D.C.
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial
- Hard Rock Cafe
- Jefferson Memorial
- Lincoln Memorial
- Mount Vernon
- National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport
- Smithsonian Institution
- Supreme Court Building
- Treasury Building
- U.S. Capitol Building
- United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
- Vietnam Veterans’ Memorial
- Washington Monument
- White House
331. Weather ford, TX
332. Westwood, CA
- University of California, Los Angeles
333. White Sands National Monument, NM
334. Williams, AZ
335. Williamsburg, VA
336. Winfield, LA
337. “Y” City, AR
338. Yorba Linda, CA
- Richard Nixon Birthplace and Library
339. Youngstown, OH
- Arms Family Museum
- Mill Creek Park/Fellows Riverside gardens
- Youngstown Historical Center
- Youngstown Municipal Airport
- Youngstown State University
340. Yucca Valley, CA
341. Zwolle, LA
- North Toledo Bend State Park

JimJamBonds
01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm curious if this list (LISTS... :drool: ) will fit, or if the text will require multiple-posts. Here's a compliation of all the places I've visited or lived, with some specific locations at each in some cases.Dude you've been around. :D

65. Chicago, IL
- O’Hare International Airport
No love for Bobbafrett?:p

Mad Slanted Powers
01-08-2011, 01:54 PM
I was in O'Hare Airport a couple times in college when traveling to the NAIA National Cross Country championships in Kenosha, WI. We played hacky sack at O'Hare. I've never played hacky sack in Hackensack though.

TeeEye7
01-08-2011, 02:03 PM
I was at O'Hare in 1984 returning from Europe. Unfortunately, I didn't know Bobafrett then.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I met a junior high school classmate's dad on a layover at O'Hare airport.

Dude you've been around. :DWho will be the first one to quote that famous line from The Office?

bigbarada
01-08-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm curious if this list (LISTS... :drool: ) will fit, or if the text will require multiple-posts. Here's a compliation of all the places I've visited or lived, with some specific locations at each in some cases.

Wow! That's a massive list! :eek:

Let me try this:

Places outside the US that I have lived for 30 days or more:
Darmstadt, Germany - 2 years split between Cambrai Fritsch Kaserne and Kelly Barracks Kaserne, with maybe a little bit of time in the Nathan Hale Depot (December 1991 - December 1993)
Uijongbu, South Korea - 1 year (February 2000 - February 2001)
Camp Bedrock, Bosnia - 3 months (November 1996 - February 1997)
Slovanski Brod, Croatia - 3 months and 1 week. (February 1997 - May 1997)
Hill 754 "Casey 39er", South Korea - several weeks cumulative throughout the year 2000

Places outside the US that I have lived/visited for 30 days or less:
Toko-Ri, South Korea - periodically throughout the year 2000
Hohenfels, Germany - a few weeks cumulative (1992-1993)
Wildflecken, Germany - a few weeks cumulative (1992-1993)
Taszar, Hungary - 2 weeks cumulative (October 1996 - May 1997)
Camp Steel Castle, Bosnia - roughly 2 - 3 weeks cumulative (October 1996 - December 1996)
Guadalupe, Mexico - 10 days cumulative (February 2006 and June 2006)
London, England - 4.5 days (June 2008)
Mannheim, Germany - 5-7 days (sometime in early 1992)
Berchtesgaden, Germany - in the Bavarian Alps near Hitler's Eagles Nest (one of the most beautiful places in the world) - 3 days (sometime in the fall of 1992, I don't remember exactly)
Frankfurt, Germany - a few days cumulative
Heidelberg, Germany - a few days cumulative
Seoul, South Korea - a few hours to a couple of days cumulative (2000)
Dublin, Ireland - 3 hours (May 1997)
The 38th Parallel on the South Korean side (obviously) - only a couple of hours (fortunately) - (sometime in 2000)

bobafrett
01-13-2011, 09:03 PM
BCJ, How can you remember all the places you visited? I can't even remember Where I was last year at this time, let alone the list the size you have produced for our reading pleasure.

A funny story about O'Hare, the first time I went to O'Hare, I was to pick up my brother who was arriving at terminal 3. I pull up to terminal 1 on the furthest inside lane thinking I had to get in this line. It took me three hours to get to terminal 3, and my brother gave up and called a cab.
I now know that if I would have stayed on the outer lanes, I could have got to terminal three in a matter of minutes, not hours. San Diego airport has nothing on O'Hare!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
BCJ, How can you remember all the places you visited? I can't even remember Where I was last year at this time, let alone the list the size you have produced for our reading pleasure.

!!!!!I've kept that list (LISTS... :drool: ) going for the last 10 years or so, just adding to it when I travel or visit some new place. But I did have to do some research and memory recall to get it started. I also have other lists; in fact...

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN FAVORITE LISTS HE KEEPS UPDATING:

10. Plays seen in person (alphabetical by title, with venue)
9. Comic books bought (alphabetical with number, date, price paid, cover price, publisher, value)
8. Museums visited (alphabetical by name, with city)
7. Pittsburgh collectibles (alphabetical by product, in Pirates/Steelers/Penguins/Panthers sub-files)
6. Student data (letter grades earned based on missing assignments during term)
5. Car mileage and fuel costs (saved for each of 3 cars owned; currently for '05 Saturn)
4. Star Wars collectibles (alphabetical by General items, Prequel items, Comics, Books/Magazines, Kenner action figures, Prequel action figures, Post-1995 action figures, Trading cards; plus alphabetical Rolodex actions figures)
3. Star Wars references in history/philosophy/geography/etc. (in both alphabetical and by posting dates files)
2. Places visited (alphabetical by city, with specific locations within)
1. Books read by author (alphabetical, in four sub-files [A-D, E-K, L-S, T-Z])

Ta dah! :D I may or may not have some autistic tendencies.

sith_killer_99
01-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I've kept that list (LISTS... :drool: ) going for the last 10 years or so, just adding to it when I travel or visit some new place. But I did have to do some research and memory recall to get it started. I also have other lists; in fact...

BEL-CAM'S TOP TEN FAVORITE LISTS HE KEEPS UPDATING:

10. Plays seen in person (alphabetical by title, with venue)
9. Comic books bought (alphabetical with number, date, price paid, cover price, publisher, value)
8. Museums visited (alphabetical by name, with city)
7. Pittsburgh collectibles (alphabetical by product, in Pirates/Steelers/Penguins/Panthers sub-files)
6. Student data (letter grades earned based on missing assignments during term)
5. Car mileage and fuel costs (saved for each of 3 cars owned; currently for '05 Saturn)
4. Star Wars collectibles (alphabetical by General items, Prequel items, Comics, Books/Magazines, Kenner action figures, Prequel action figures, Post-1995 action figures, Trading cards; plus alphabetical Rolodex actions figures)
3. Star Wars references in history/philosophy/geography/etc. (in both alphabetical and by posting dates files)
2. Places visited (alphabetical by city, with specific locations within)
1. Books read by author (alphabetical, in four sub-files [A-D, E-K, L-S, T-Z])

Ta dah! :D I may or may not have some autistic tendencies.

I thought I was OCD, turns out I'm normal. Thanks BCJ! :thumbsup:

Also, I am slightly disturbed by the thought of a former teacher keeping such data about me, long term.

TeeEye7
01-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Also, I am slightly disturbed by the thought of a former teacher keeping such data about me, long term.

You may want to think that, SK. My wife is a teacher and she has many colleagues who do the same thing. The reason? In case some of their kiddies become famous or infamous. It helps them to "remember them when". One of her colleagues hopes to have fostered a future President of the US! I don't think is sounds so weird. Maybe a former teacher of yours hopes to see you in influential places one day!

JimJamBonds
01-14-2011, 07:32 AM
I have my dvd's on file arranged by name. For cd's they are by band and if there is more then one by a particular band then they are arranged oldest to newest. :itsasicknessbutheyatleastI'mawareofit:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-14-2011, 09:37 AM
You may want to think that, SK. My wife is a teacher and she has many colleagues who do the same thing. The reason? In case some of their kiddies become famous or infamous. It helps them to "remember them when". One of her colleagues hopes to have fostered a future President of the US! I don't think is sounds so weird. Maybe a former teacher of yours hopes to see you in influential places one day!
A student in one of the classes I taught as a grad student ended up being an all star in the Canadian Football League - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlondo_Steinauer

Lord Malakite
01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Unless you find yourself mimicking me nobody here should worry about being OCD.

sith_killer_99
01-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I have my dvd's on file arranged by name. For cd's they are by band and if there is more then one by a particular band then they are arranged oldest to newest. :itsasicknessbutheyatleastI'mawareofit:

Yeah, my wife and I do that, with our books as well, but BCJ takes it to a whole new level. :D

JimJamBonds
01-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, my wife and I do that, with our books as well, but BCJ takes it to a whole new level. :D
A handful of years ago I stopped buying books at such a crazy pace, if not I'd probably have a spreadsheet of my books as well.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2011, 10:10 PM

Also, I am slightly disturbed by the thought of a former teacher keeping such data about me, long term.The student data is not by name (see my list explanation) but simply by letter grade and percentages. Oh, and when I posted I was but the learner, but now I am the master of OCD. :D

And JJB, I don't buy many books; I might as well hear "NORM!" when I enter the library (tax dollars at work).

JimJamBonds
01-14-2011, 11:23 PM
And JJB, I don't buy many books; I might as well hear "NORM!" when I enter the library (tax dollars at work).
I kinda have that feeling as well, it was really "bad" when I was laid off, I was there a TON. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
02-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Somehow this slipped by:

Celebrated 25 years at work this past September.

bobafrett
02-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Somehow this slipped by:

Celebrated 25 years at work this past September.

And hear I thought you were just 25 years of age, Happy Anniversary.

JimJamBonds
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I finished 28th overall and 3rd in my age division in a local 15k this morning. Mr. and Mrs. 2-1B walked the 5k, then we met up at Subway.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2011, 04:41 PM
I finished 28th overall and 3rd in my age division in a local 15k this morning. Mr. and Mrs. 2-1B walked the 5k, then we met up at Subway.How fast? I did one back in September in 67:26. I might be doing a 4 mile race in early March.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Visited two more California missions this weekend: Santa Ysabel and San Antonio de Pala. I believe that makes seven or eight total now, of the twenty-two there are:
- Santa Barbara
- San Juan Capistrano
- San Gabriel
- La Purisima Concepcion
- San Diego Alcala
- Santa Ysabel
- San Antonio de Pala
- either San Luis Rey or San Fernando Rey

They sure do differ in their construction style and size.

JimJamBonds
02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
How fast? I did one back in September in 67:26. I might be doing a 4 mile race in early March.
1:04:03, I've had a bit of a hamstring issue so I couldn't really push myself too hard. Still I was a bit over a minute faster then last year so no complaints!

p.s. I was wrong, I was 24th overall not 28th.

TeeEye7
08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
I donated my 50th pint of blood yesterday. :tickled_pink:

sith_killer_99
08-05-2011, 04:38 PM
I donated my 50th pint of blood yesterday. :tickled_pink:

Oddly enough, you donated your 50th pint on President Obama's 50th birthday. :frog:

Congrats, that's a lot of blood!

Ando
08-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Starting Memorial Day weekend, I began walking 3-6 miles every day. I get up at 5:30 am and walk 2-3 miles and again before or after dinner. According to my log, I was at 242 miles, but that was a few days ago.

In the process, I have gone from 197 pounds down to 177 (as of today). My goal is 157 pounds, so I am halfway there.

Also, my wife has no idea where I am at this point.

sith_killer_99
08-05-2011, 09:03 PM
Starting Memorial Day weekend, I began walking 3-6 miles every day. I get up at 5:30 am and walk 2-3 miles and again before or after dinner. According to my log, I was at 242 miles, but that was a few days ago.

In the process, I have gone from 197 pounds down to 177 (as of today). My goal is 157 pounds, so I am halfway there.

LOL

I am currently doing around 2 hours of cardio a day. I usually hit the gym at 0500 and spend an hour on the elipitical machine. Then I go to PT formation and back to the gym for another hour.

JimJamBonds
08-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Nice work boys congrats, since I've (rere)started running (again) about 2.5 years I've lost roughly 25ish pounds, although most of that was within the first handful of months. I'm doing my next marathon on October 2nd and I'd like to lose 7-10 more lbs by then, but those pounds I'll have to work for ie. modify my diet. :sucks:

Mad Slanted Powers
08-06-2011, 11:51 AM
I'm doing my next marathon on October 2nd and I'd like to lose 7-10 more lbs by then, but those pounds I'll have to work for ie. modify my diet. :sucks:You'll probably lose that much during the marathon.

TeeEye7
08-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Congrats, that's a lot of blood!

Thanks, SK. It's a total of six gallons, two pints so far. I like to gross my wife out and tell her just to imagine six gallon containers in the 'frige with blood instead of milk to get an idea of how much I've donated through the years!

JimJamBonds
08-07-2011, 09:41 PM
You'll probably lose that much during the marathon.If its hot enough no doubt, a few weeks ago I lost roughly 10 lbs while on a 14 mile run. However I'd like to get rid of those lb's now, not the water loss later. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I got a cheap, crappy scale that probably doesn't work to well, but this morning it seems as if I lost 6 pounds after a 9 mile run, and gained 4 pounds back after breakfast.

Correction, that was a 7 mile run.

Ando
08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
MSP: I use a Taylor brand scale that I bought at Fred Meyer. It was around $25-$30 and it has a backlit LCD display. It measures in .2 lb increments. I weigh myself 2 times a day.

Once in the morning after my first walk and after I shower and again in the evening after my second walk and shower before I eat dinner.

I have also been taking raw apple cider vinegar 4-5 times a day. It's been speeding up digestion, helping with regularity, and helping with fat loss. It may not be for everyone, but it's been helping me. Just a tip.

Congrats on the blood donation milestone, TeeEye7! That's an amazing accomplishment!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Over the last 8 summers, I've read 229 books totalling over 61,000 pages. I enjoy doing that. :D

[edit] I started my 10th year as a HS teacher today. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2012, 10:16 AM
After this summer's awesome vacation, it's time to update in vague list (LISTS... :drool: ) format.

BEL-CAM'S TOP SPECIFIC THINGS DONE IN LIFE, IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER:
- was a passenger on a small airplane and landed on an Alaskan glacier (and saw Mt. McKinley w/o clouds)
- hiked into and camped down in Grand Canyon (on its 75th anniversary date)
- my almost-17,000 mile driving trip in '94
- visited 31 of the 50 states, and 7 different countries
- saw Pittsburgh Steelers, Pirates, & Penguins, plus Ohio State Buckeyes, WIN sporting events in person
- attended speeches by Desmond Tutu, Sandra Day O'Connor, Bill Gates, Bart Conner, Terrence Roberts, Ray Bradbury, Jeanne Wakatsuki Houston, Timothy Zahn
- accepted into Writing Project
- given acting pin award by cast of To Kill a Mockingbird play
- saw Frank Sinatra, Willie Nelson, Weird Al Yankovic in concert, the Rockettes perform (not at the same time)
- survived the year 2005
- given staff award by colleague at school
- earned 10-year pin in school district (which means 10 years of students learning & maturing)
- collected over $1500 in 8 years of recycling at school (and started student recycling fund scholarship)
- guided students who produced four solid yearbooks as advisor at school
- selected employee-of-the-year at hotel job
- ran PR in 1500m at track invitational where an Olympic athlete there ran a slower time in that event
- won a fantasy football league season
- spoke at high school graduation
- selected team co-captain of HS cross country team
- reached 10,000+ SSG posts :rolleyes:

Ando
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Hey everybody! Long time since I have been on the boards. So here's an update:

I am now well past 157.0 pounds. Friday morning I stepped on the scale to be greeted by a 149.8. My goal is 147-ish, but that's a 147 on a Monday after a weekend of burgers and snacks and treats, not before. Still walking 3 miles every morning and 3 miles every night. I have also added push ups and pull ups to the routine. I do 50 push ups and 20-30 pull ups (sets of 5 or 10) after each walk. I don't plan on doing any sit ups or crunches anytime soon. I am sure they will be beneficial, but my abs are starting to show through just from the walking (a lot of hills on my route).

What started all of this was a rejection letter from a life insurance company last spring. I bought into my dad's company and he told me to get a life insurance policy so that my wife and the company would be okay if anything happened to me. Apparently I had type II diabetes and didn't know it. My A1C was 14. Your A1C is a 3 month average of your blood glucose (this number is a percentage, similar to blood alcohol...). It's supposed to be 6 or less. This was in March 2011.

As of September 2011, my A1C was 5.5 and it was 5.5 when I went to the doctor in May.

I am on my 4th pair of walking shoes. Nike running shoes are great for running, not for walking -- the ACG line of shoes are perfect for brisk (4.5+ mph) walking on pavement. It seems counter intuitive, but stiffer soles are better than the cushy ones. My last pair of Nike's (Air Moto+ 8's) lasted 6-7 weeks before I wore through the soles in the front.

I completely reversed type II diabetes. Through walking and modest dietary changes. I eat less, but I never go to bed hungry and the only meal that I have skipped was one lunch last year for reasons that were completely out of my control. I just load up and "pig out" on fresh fruit now. Over the weekend, I ate about 3-4 pounds of watermelon and 3-4 pounds of figs from CostCo.

I figure I have walked about 2500+ miles at this point. And my wife still has no freaking clue where I am...

PS: Right after I got the 5.5 A1C blood test result, I contacted the insurance agent (he originally told me I could re-apply in 2 years) and told him that I had made some changes in my life. He called the insurance company and they gave me a second look and as of October of 2011, I am fully covered.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Where's the thumbs-up icon? Oh wait... :thumbsup: Great to hear, Ando!

Ando
07-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Thank you!

scruffziller
07-16-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm 37 and I still haven't committed suicide. Everything else is consequential.

scruffziller
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
How many kids have you successfully NOT killed because of your self control? :D

Mad Slanted Powers
07-16-2012, 09:54 PM
- hiked into and camped down in Grand Canyon (on its 75th anniversary date)I'm pretty sure the Grand Canyon has been around longer than 75 years. :)

- ran PR in 1500m at track invitational where an Olympic athlete there ran a slower time in that eventWas this before the Olympic athlete became Olympic caliber, or after? I think I had forgotten that you ran track and cross country. Do you still run much?

Good job and congratulations to Ando for your success in improving your health and fitness.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm pretty sure the Grand Canyon has been around longer than 75 years. :)

Was this before the Olympic athlete became Olympic caliber, or after? I think I had forgotten that you ran track and cross country. Do you still run much?

Good job and congratulations to Ando for your success in improving your health and fitness.No, I know I missed out on the special 75th anniversary post mark for the postcards I mailed that day (post office closed before noon), so clearly the canyon itself didn't exist prior to that 1919 date. :rolleyes: What is most impressive about the GC is how the US government created it so quickly and so massively. If today they were trying to create a Grand Canyon, you just know the quality and size would cut corners. ;)

It was in 1992, and the athlete was Dave Johnson of the "Dan and Dave" Reebok campaign. The 1500m wasn't his strongest decathlon event, but he was training for the upcoming Barcelona Games (also in the javelin and hurdles, IIRC). He had an entourage.
I can't remember the last organized, timed run I entered. :(

TeeEye7
07-19-2012, 01:35 AM
I can now add Air Force One to my list of presidential aircraft I've been through. My wife and I toured the Reagan Library yesterday and had the cool experience of going through the aircraft.

Way back when, my department worked with Secret Service for security when George HW Bush visited our area (we also helped when GW visited, too). I was able to sit inside one of the presidential helicopters that were taking Bush and his staff to view the (then) Federal oil reserve that is in my county (it has since been sold to a private company). The Marine contingent that provides security for the Pres along with Secret Service were very accommodating!