PDA

View Full Version : The Official Daily Show/Colbert Report Thread!

El Chuxter
11-05-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't really have anything to say at the moment. I just uploaded the rockin' Samantha Bee avatar to spite Caesar and his defense of that half-baked fake newsman Borat, and realized there's no single place to discuss this, the greatest hour of television. So discuss, and make this post worthwhile!

I'll say this much: I'm glad to have the goofy-looking lady back. The "new blood" has yet to really prove itself, and with Colbert, Carrell, and the funny Corrdry brother having moved to other projects, and Mo Rocca facedown in an alley somewhere, she's now officially the funniest correspondent on the show. Last week's bit about her coming home to Columbus (despite being from Canada) and completely BS'ing the whole report was comedy gold. Especially her breastfeeding her baby while at waiting on tables at Hooters.

Jon?

2-1B
11-05-2006, 04:25 PM
She's certainly no Sacha Baron Cohen but I think Sam Bee is awesome, I'm not spited at all by her in an avatar. She rocks!

The Daily Show, however, has gone downhill for me over the years. It's still a good show but not what it once was. It doesn't help that a much superior show, The Colbert Report, comes on right afterward to show it up more.

For me the funniest half hour on TV is The Office followed by The Colbert Report. Those are the only 'must see' shows on my schedule, in fact there have been many times that I didn't bother with The Daily Show only making sure to turn it on for the last 5 minutes so I could catch Jon's interaction with Stephen.

TDS is still a good show though, I do enjoy it whenever I manage to catch it. I still have some of the old episodes with Craigers on tape though and I miss those old days sometimes. Jon Stewart is great too, though. I think I wish it wasn't so political all the time...

I do have one complaint about The Colbert Report though, the one thing I don't like is Tek Jansen. WTF is that nonsense? I actually hate those segments and turn the channel, what a waist of airtime. Other than that, the show is comedic gold!

JediTricks
11-06-2006, 02:18 AM
Sam Bee taking some downtime last year was great because it was for her pregnancy and they replaced her with her husband, Jason Jones, an actor who has really done a lot to become a good addition to the show, and when Sam came back they did so much with it without being loud and ridiculous. TDS is still pretty much the most solid entertainment I get any day of the week, I kinda wish they'd go a full hour or at least dump half the interviews - too many lame ones. However, I really think Sam Bee is all wrong for "This Week in God"... everybody has been since Colbert left.

Dan Bakkedahl is somewhat funny but does often need to be reined in some more, his segments generally end up going astray too often.

John Oliver, the british guy (the one with the glasses), is generally pretty funny but his pieces are not targeted enough yet.

Rob Riggle hasn't been funny much of his time, he's gotten better in the last few eps but ultimately he does feel out of place so far, he needs to lock his "persona" down to something a little stronger.

Lewis Black is a genius.

Demetri Martin's "Trendspotting" is only funny about 10% of the time, there is some gold in his bits but it takes a lot of digging to get to it.

John Hodgman absolutely deserves the success he's now enjoying, his near-deadpan science correspondant stuff should get its own special awards.

Dave Gorman, the other British guy (the facial hair one), is fairly funny, he's hardly their best and like the other Brit he doesn't really feel pointed enough in his reporting, but he does make me laugh.

Aasif Mandvi, the Middle Eastern guy, is utterly hilarious, his delivery is always spot on, he has some really sharp stuff written for him and he uses it so well, and I hope they'll start using him for bits beyond the middle east material - not that he isn't great at it, but he's got more, I can tell.

Larry Wilmore hasn't had much screentime yet but as Senior Black Correspondant he may have some of the funniest lines of 2006, he has perfect delivery and a real pointed style to his writing that isn't just the average "angry black guy" material floating around today, it's smarter than that and has more to say. Like Aasif, I really hope they give him more material to work with beyond the Black Correspondant role... sorry, "Senior" Black Correspondant. ;)

El Chuxter
11-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I hadn't seen Lewis Black on the show in so long, I thought he'd left totally for a career in crappy cinema.

Totally in agreement on This Week in God. Colbert should've taken it with him.

2-1B
11-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Larry Wilmore hasn't had much screentime yet but as Senior Black Correspondant he may have some of the funniest lines of 2006, he has perfect delivery and a real pointed style to his writing that isn't just the average "angry black guy" material floating around today, it's smarter than that and has more to say. Like Aasif, I really hope they give him more material to work with beyond the Black Correspondant role... sorry, "Senior" Black Correspondant. ;)

The man is a genius when it comes to The Office ! ! !

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I think that TDS has turned into the new SNL: not because it's cutting edge comedy (sometimes it is), but because its actors (don't try to use that old The People's Court line about them not being actors, face it) end up getting better jobs elsewhere.

Demetri Martin's comedy takes some work and focus, so it's easy to miss much of his humor. I like it. Too bad he can't sing poorly and fake-play guitar more.

JediTricks
11-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Last night's live election results show wasn't that great, I really felt like they should have had Jon and Stephen on a single desk a la CNN and such, it was not the crossover reporting it should have been. There were 3 really great moments last night:
- Jon Stewart not getting censored when he asked the audience if they were applauding because a guy got s**t on by an elephant;
- The "entry polls" piece was awesome, especially that sleazy last part;
- Colbert throwing a tantrum near the end of his show.

2-1B
11-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I didn't think it was that great, either. Then again, it was only billed as the midtacular and not a spectacular.

Every time Jon Stewart does his Joe Lieberman impression, I have to laugh.

JediTricks
11-09-2006, 03:55 PM
It's just a Droopy impression really. It doesn't help that Joe really sounds like that though. :p

Last night's TDS was pretty good, Howard Dean often makes for a good interview. Jason Jones' bit as the absentee ballot was a howler.

Colbert was funny but didn't really deliver as strongly, and just like Monday they used a bit that we just saw on TDS (Monday it was "Haggard the Horrible" and last night it was Britney & K-Fed).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
I started watching The Daily Show around the 2004 elections, I think, when it started to get more publicity and whatnot. Maybe it was before that, since I got America: The Book in December 2004 so I must've been watching longer? Anyway . . .

These two shows are some of my favorites. I don't stay up to watch them in their initial airings (12-1 here in Colorado) but I always see them the next night at 9-10, so I'm kind of always a day behind.

Speaking of SNL, Rob Riggle was on that show a few years ago for a season (or maybe just half a season) but he quit and then turned up here. I like the new reporters; I mean, Rob Corddry was probably the best but I really like John Oliver's stuff. :D

And oh, crap, I forgot that Demetri Martin is coming here in two weeks, I still need to get tickets. The man is freakin' hilarious in stand-up.

2-1B
11-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Bring back Brian Unger.

El Chuxter
11-10-2006, 09:23 AM
My God, I saw the new Tek Jansen theme song last night and carped my britches. Twice.

VIVA PORPY!!

JediTricks
11-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Bring back Brian Unger.Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time.

TDS was pretty good, Dustin Hoffman really comes alive playing off of Jon.

Colbert was alright, the PK Winsome bit felt like it needed a little more structure but had some chuckle-worty material. The bit with the Antarctic researcher was awesome.

2-1B
11-11-2006, 12:49 AM
Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time... a long time.

I remember some episodes where he filled in for Craigers as host...I thought he fit in nicely. :)

JimJamBonds
11-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Bring back Brian Unger.

Yeah what's that cat up to these days?

2-1B
11-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Not much, just a bunch of crusty looking projects...IMDb has some stuff on him.

El Chuxter
03-22-2007, 11:17 PM
So.... What did everyone think of the showdown with Willie on Tuesday?

http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/?lnk=v&ml_video=84015

(Unfortunately, you have to sit through an ad first, but Viacom is cracking down on the ol' YouTube.)

2-1B
03-22-2007, 11:24 PM
It was okay, pretty goofy with the ice cream thing...but definitely better than any Tek Jansen bit. lol

I liked the segment he did about that Polar Bear Cub they want to kill.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-23-2007, 06:04 PM
When I saw that Bobby was playing guitar, I laughed my *** off for some reason. :lol:

JediTricks
03-23-2007, 08:04 PM
A fairly entertaining ep, not quite as pointed or interesting as I'd like, but fun stuff all around. And then Colbert cheated by not eating Willie's ice cream. :D The stuff at the end after the credits was good, Bobby sneaking onto the bus.

El Chuxter
02-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Strike or no strike, last night's three-part crossover with Conan had me rolling. I even watched Conan to see how it ended, and I normally don't watch anything that's on that late (unless nudity and/or gratuitous violence is involved).

The message from Huckabee that wrapped it all up was the funniest part of all. It's nice to see that the guy has a sense of humor, no matter how wacked out he might be.

Sadly, with this being on two different networks, and with the networks cracking down on posting their stuff, this will probably never be seen again.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Damn, I didn't watch Conan and was planning on seeing TDS/TCR tonight during the earlier reruns. I figured they were going to do something like this but a little bit of heads up would have been nice.

El Chuxter
02-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I wasn't sure if they would or not at first, since Colbert ended with Jon and Stephen trying to break into Conan's studio. But then there was a teaser about it being concluded on Conan.

It's unfortunate, since Comedy Central reruns those two shows ad nauseum (today, and they're sure to be the episodes picked to rerun Monday), but it's unlikely the Conan part will be rerun anytime soon.

However, you might want to watch this before it gets taken down:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OLfvf-L8pXc.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Holy nuts, that was nothing short of amazing. Thanks for the link.

2-1B
02-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah what's that cat up to these days?

He fell off the face of the earth, much like you falling off the face of SSG.

JediTricks
02-06-2008, 01:10 AM
Funny bit, loved the Eye of the Tiger freeze-frame ending from Rocky 3, but Huckabee's hokey ending ruined it for me, even the schticky part. Plus, it was a little disrespectful to Colbert who really did give him bumps in his visibility back when he had just single-digit poll results last year.

El Chuxter
02-06-2008, 01:22 AM
C'mon, man, you know all four of them were in on this.

JediTricks
02-06-2008, 02:07 AM
Until he was on Colbert, he was "Huckahoo?"

El Chuxter
09-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Ye olde bump.

Is it just me, or have Colbert's subtle satirical jabs at the GOP gotten a lot less subtle in the last week or so?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't know, but it has gotten a lot more awesome recently. They both have.

stillakid
09-07-2008, 01:30 AM
I don't know, but it has gotten a lot more awesome recently. They both have.

Stewart is funny anyway, but he's at his best when he doesn't have to try. The Republican machine provides it's own humor. The researchers at Comedy Central manage to find the Conservative blowhards contradicting themselves. All the show has to do is run the clips side by side and the Republicans provide the comedy.

Sad thing is, it would be funnier if it wasn't all true.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Well, satire needs truthiness :D to be truly effective. You know it's sad but true. \m/ :metallicarules:

Can't recall it right now, but there was a clip the other day about the RNC that got me LOL.

stillakid
09-07-2008, 11:58 AM
This clip from the other day should be run on EVERY news network from now til the end of the election. Anybody who still votes Republican after seeing this is clearly not interested in truth:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=184086&title=sarah-palin-gender-card

And the sad truth is that most Republicans will just refuse to watch it or write it off as unimportant. :shaking head:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Can't recall it right now, but there was a clip the other day about the RNC that got me LOL.Caught a rerun, and it had it: it was the Joe Lieberman/Fred Thompson as Droopy/Foghorn Leghorn. :ahsayahsayboyah: Still hilarious. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
The "Stephen Colbert Christmas Special: The Greatest Gift of All" last night was very funny, but not LOL funny.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-24-2008, 08:40 PM
I love me any Feist I can get so I liked it (both to the eyes and the ears). I thought it was pretty funny overall, though. The goofiness of the format was a great fit for Stephen.

coalbear23
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
If you guys watched the Colbert Christmas special, check out the Colbert Christmas widget. You can listen to "Another Christmas Song" and check out some other fun stuff. It's pretty awesome!

http://go.thesyn.com/acolbertchristmas/

JediTricks
11-29-2008, 04:48 PM
I thought the special was good enough to go out and buy at the store. The sentimentalism at the end was a bit much, but there were some big laughs the first 4/5ths.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
The build-up for the Cramer/Stewart interview wasmore than the meeting itself, but Jon proved he can handle the "serious" journalist side of his "news" program. A decent one, and I have new-found respect for Mr. Mad Money as he let Jon run the show and didn't try to out-comment or out-funny him. Although, Cramer looked REALLY uncomfortable there, bodily and verbally; very much out of his element.

JediTricks
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
The unedited interview has about 8 more minutes of footage mixed in, and Cramer isn't quite as passive in it, but he's still basically allowing himself to be a martyr which is downright painful to watch.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
And what was last night's Final Jeopardy answer? "What/Who is Stephen Colbert?" (it was from the category "Space News," based on him getting the name of some piece of equipment on the space station [their treadmill, IIRC]). Makin' it big!

El Chuxter
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
It was a pretty easy Final Jeopardy question, since it gave the full name of the treadmill (which was a backronym for Colbert).

Bel-Cam Jos
12-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Guess who's on the cover of Sports Illustrated in a speed skating outfit...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2009, 12:23 AM
And guess who's on TDS January 5.

Give up? It's George Lucas, to talk about the book Blockbusting. Unexpected, to be sure.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2009, 04:32 PM
But the more important question is: will they cowtow to him, or overtly/subtly mock him?

JediTricks
12-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Cowtow, definitely. Jon Stewart freely admits that he kisses up to every guest. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
01-29-2010, 08:50 PM
I've met a guest from the CR! Arthur Benjamin, the mathemagician, was on Wed. night. His skills, while unusual, are quite amazing (his appearance on the show does not do him justice).

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Jon Stewart has a new look, but I shan't say how. :beard: And he had one of his serious shows last night.

JimJamBonds
08-05-2010, 12:42 PM
And he had one of his serious shows last night.

Let me guess, an extra special show where he rips on Republican's? lol

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
:beard: No, I'd say it was bipartisan anger. :beard:

JediTricks
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Jon Stewart has a new look, but I shan't say how. :beard: And he had one of his serious shows last night.
Watching it now. The beard is not a strictly new look, he's been rocking it for a few weeks now. Damn, the point he's on is really good, health care for Sept 11th responders being scuttled because it's being paid for by taxing businesses here who use tax-haven countries to avoid paying any US taxes despite using US resources. That bit was pretty good, not too serious, on-point, called out everybody, I'm not seeing what you're on about.

The second bit is about the Lebonese and Israelis shooting at each other over a tree, and isn't that serious either.

I'm not seeing what's so serious here really. Standard TDS fare.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Just the fact that he made a point to mention he was frustrated from the start of the 9-11 bill issue, and appeared to be serious about it. Yes, the tree story was quite TDSWJS-esque.

JediTricks
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
As opposed to TDSWKC-esque? ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Both shows have recently made announcements about making announcements. Tune in for more (less?) details.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-16-2010, 11:47 PM
Tune in for more (less?) details.So's, get yerself ta the Capital on 10/30/10 ta gather togetha!

2-1B
10-03-2010, 03:32 PM
that Rick Sanchez fellow caused quite stir this week.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Obama on TDSWJS last night. Colbert gets the bump in the wrong way; no uber-famous guest for you!

I would LOVE to be at the rally this weekend... :(

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 09:45 AM
I would LOVE to be at the rally this weekend... :(... but you can feel a part (apart? :fear: :evil: ) of it today: 9am PST on CC. :sleeping: :sanity:

Blue2th
10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
He needs us once more. It's time to gather what Jedi we have left and...

Bel-Cam Jos
10-30-2010, 10:05 PM
This was quite a performance. I watched the whole thing, even ignoring phone calls (likely election soliciting) and door knocks (likely more soliciting). I found myself predicting several bits (Stephen in the 'Chilean mine,' once formerly-Cat Stevens came out I knew Ozzy would follow and I couldn't remember the artist of "Love Train," Father Guido too).

GREAT:
- Colbert's puppet
- the wave that collided
- John Legend
- Jon's last speech
- the energy of The Roots (especially the tuba player)

PRETTY GOOD/DECENT:
- Kid Rock
- Sam's reading of The Greatest Poem Ever
- both patriotic songs (to start and end)
- medals given out (especially the tight T-shirt and the 26-out perfect game pitcher)
- Star Trek "geekage" and R2-D2

NEEDED WORK:
- the correspondents in the crowds
- the jumbo screens' timing
- sound systems
- "counting" all the crowd demographics
- most of the Mythbusters

It still would've been cool to have attended it, but seeing it was good in itself. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Stephen Colbert's song with Jack White's coven of goth witches last night.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Stephen got his Superpac. Now we need an extended-hand-grabbing-at-the-audience Smiley. :D :greedy:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Now that Super Pac-er Stephen is listing (LISTS... :drool: ) his "Heroes" on the crawl below him each show, he busted up laughing on some "fake" names people sent in (can't type their names on this family-friendly site :eek: ), but I noticed one this Thursday that sith_killer99 would appreciate: John Galt.

JediTricks
08-20-2011, 03:43 PM
That piece he did on the fake names, where a 3-second joke turned into a minute and a half of giggling, that was priceless. I replayed it 3 times. "Heroe$", by the way. :D

I think it's awesome that he actually used the money to make ads during the Iowa straw poll.

Now it's 2 weeks without Colbert.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Now it's 2 weeks without Colbert.But that fortnight for both shows is due to end next week (apparently they'll still get Labor Day off, and resume Tuesday).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
On Monday, George Lucas was on TDS to pimp Red Tails, his new Tuskegee Airmen film. Some of it was good, some of it was interesting, some of it was weird, some of it was a bit disturbing. Typical Lucas-speak.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-14-2012, 08:18 PM
I picked up Stephen Colbert's "children's book" (it really isn't appropriate for kids), I Am a Pole (And So Can You), which was decently funny, for as long as it took to read the short book. The dust jacket comments are probably as funny as the "plot" of the story.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Now it's 2 weeks without Colbert.Could be more, as DirecTV is still fighting with Viacom and dropped CC as a channel. But online viewing is possible, just not the same thing. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2012, 02:48 PM
These TDS and TCP shows this week should win some awards. Colbert's opening crawls for the Rep. convention have been pretty funny.

El Chuxter
09-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Agreed. Sam Bee's bits have been masterpieces (not that all her bits aren't great, of course--after Colbert, she's probably the most consistently hilarious correspondent in the history of the show). Can't wait for next week.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-01-2012, 12:21 AM
After the east coast storm, both TDS and TCR are now back on with new shows.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2012, 10:56 PM
TDS had an amazing bit about the "War on Christmas," which I won't go into to keep it out of the Pit, but I had never considered one aspect: The Flintsones Christmas special occurred thousands of years before there was even a birth of Jesus!

JediTricks
12-08-2012, 04:11 PM
TDS had an amazing bit about the "War on Christmas," which I won't go into to keep it out of the Pit, but I had never considered one aspect: The Flintsones Christmas special occurred thousands of years before there was even a birth of Jesus!Heh, yeah, that cracked me right up, dunno how that never occurred to me before.

Colbert this week was doing up The Hobbit's release because he's an uber-geek for Tolkien, had interviews with Ian "Gandalf the Grey" McKellen, Martin "Bilbo Baggins" Freeman, Andy "Gollum" Serkis, and Peter "the director" Jackson, as well as doing up his whole set in Hobbiton best.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-15-2012, 10:50 AM
And both shows are off until next year... that is, IF there is a next year! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
And both shows are off until next year... that is, IF there is a next year! :eek:And JS comes back with a vengeance, and a cold.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Jon will take over for Jon for a few weeks this summer, so Jon can direct a movie.

JediTricks
03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Jon will take over for Jon for a few weeks this summer, so Jon can direct a movie.You mean John will take over for Jon.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I thought they both were 'H'-less.

JediTricks
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
I thought they both were 'H'-less.I got that. It's not the case though. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
03-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Interesting that it's the British one who doesn't drop his 'H's.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2013, 03:27 PM
So, how do people feel H-John is doing so far?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Apparently, no one has any feelings whatsoever. ;)

Last night, Stephen's "video" for the song of the summer of the century was awesome! Mega-cameos.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2013, 10:50 AM
And still emotionless after all these weeks. :rolleyes: No-H Jon returns after Labor Day. The big question: sans :beard: or scruffy-looking?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Answer: both. In the opening sketch: usually bearded. On set: clean-shaven, but much tanner. Good to be back.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2013, 12:57 PM
On the show (last new one of 2013, it seems) last night, Jon announced that John is getting his own HBO show and therefore leaving TDSWJS. :( Quite funny highlights clip of Oliver's run there.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2014, 10:44 AM
Colbert addressed the CancelColbert campaign, based on a Tweet he didn't make on an account he doesn't use on a topic missing the context. Ah, "real news;" you unspire us with your fastness and confuzz us with your dumbness sometimes...

JediTricks
04-05-2014, 03:38 PM
Scuttlebutt has Colbert as the frontrunner to replace David Letterman next year. I think he'd be a good choice, but it wouldn't be a good choice for him because he wouldn't get to have as much fun and it seems like that's what he looks for in his work. Also, he'd have to retire the "Dr. Stephen T. Colbert DFA" character, or at least just save it for occasional use.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
Scuttlebutt has Colbert as the frontrunner to replace David Letterman next year. I think he'd be a good choice, but it wouldn't be a good choice for him because he wouldn't get to have as much fun and it seems like that's what he looks for in his work. Also, he'd have to retire the "Dr. Stephen T. Colbert DFA" character, or at least just save it for occasional use.Scuttlebutt isn't just the name of Beta Ray Bill's ship, it seems to be true for Tek Jansen, too; at least according to TDS tonight. Waiting to see how TCR brings up the issue.

JediTricks
04-12-2014, 03:18 PM
It is entirely true, and Colbert won't be doing the show in-character either.

Apparently, by passing over Craig Ferguson, he will get $5 mil to stay where he is.

JimJamBonds
04-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Apparently, by passing over Craig Ferguson, he will get $5 mil to stay where he is.
I need to get me a contract like that!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-27-2014, 10:03 AM
On the show (last new one of 2013, it seems) last night, Jon announced that John is getting his own HBO show and therefore leaving TDSWJS. :(I myself do not get HBO, but tonight's the debut of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-16-2014, 08:03 PM
I noticed that the little word/comment in The Colbert Report intro (as he's falling with the flag) has had numbers of decreasing values (I think it was 95 for the last episode). Number of shows left until he leaves for CBS? :(

Bel-Cam Jos
06-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I didn't report that the replacement for TCR once Stephen moves to CBS will be Larry Wilmore, TDS's "Senior Black Correspondent," on his show to be called The Minority Report. That should be funny, and a great transition, especially following right after Jon Stewart.

JediTricks
06-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Larry Wilmore is a really funny writer and actor, I hope this works out, especially since I won't have any more Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson to fall back on after this year.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Larry Wilmore is a really funny writer and actor, I hope this works outIt would be awesome to have Stewart, Colbert, Kilborn, Oliver, Rocca, Littleford, Carell, et al on his first show, a la the last Barbara Walters appearance on The View.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2014, 12:14 AM
I myself do not get HBO, but tonight's the debut of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver.With a free preview weekend, I saw an episode of JO's show; it's weird not hearing the "bad" curse words bleeped. He talked for the entire 30 minutes, without commercial breaks or other humans shown in-studio; another oddity since I'm used to those "we'll be right back" and correspondent interludes.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-12-2014, 02:26 PM
I think both shows return all-new episodes this week, after their annual July 4th 2-week hiatus.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-28-2014, 08:47 PM
TDS is on location in Austin, TX. TCR is still in NYC (not sure how many exact episodes are left: 20-some?),

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2014, 09:26 PM
We all know "The Colbert Report" is coming to an end, but the final episode now has a date.

The long-running cable news satire starring comedian Stephen Colbert will air December 18 for the final time. Colbert is set to take over "The Late Show" next year on CBS.

Fans of the award-winning "Daily Show" spin-off on Comedy Central have been waiting for the final shoe to drop since CBS announced earlier this year that Colbert would assume hosting duties following David Letterman's retirement.

The funnyman made the announcement during Thursday night's episode of the 'Report" while also pitching his latest book, America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't.I seemed to have missed hearing that last night (or did I fall asleep before the end?).

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Last night's opening quote while Stephen leaps with Old Glory was something like:

19 bottles of shows on the wallIt's getting close. :sad:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Not sure, but that may have been the first time that Jon Stewart was billed as an actual guest on TCR.

Three weeks left, if the 12-shows-remaining number is accurate.