PDA

View Full Version : Walt Disney Classics DVDs

Jek Porky 2002
11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
This one is really for anyone in the UK.

I have recently started collecting Walt Disney Classics 2 Disc Special Edition DVDs following a recent trip to Disneyland Paris. I have a friend who has already been collecting these for a number of years so I know that if kept shrinkwrapped they can become quite valuable in a short space of time. I have already started building a small collection of my own;

Cinderella
Lady And The Tramp
The Lion King
Pocahontas
Mulan
Tarzan
The Emperors New Groove: The Ultimate Groove
Lilo And Stitch

Other 2 disc sets that I know have been released but I haven't got myself yet are;

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Bambi
The Little Mermaid (coming 7/11/06)
Beauty And The Beast (3 Disc)
Aladdin

I know that once they are released they are only available for a limited time before they go out of print and become quite valuable so I was wondering if there are any others out there that I have missed off? Bearing in mind that I know that nearly all other disney classics are available on single disc DVD, I am only interested in those that have been released onto 2 disc (or more) sets. Can anyone help me?

I am only intrested in the "Walt Disney Classics" series (Snow Whiteand the Seven Dwarfs to Home on the Range) not any other Disney features.

I think I covered a fair bit there so sorry if I confuse anyone!! Hope you understand my question!!

El Chuxter
11-05-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure about the "Classics" label, especially in Europe, but at one point or another there have also been 2-disc sets for:

Dinosaur
Atlantis
[These weren't two of Disney's biggest hits, but are awesome movies. Both incredibly underrated.]

Toy Story (the one I have is 3 discs: one for each movie and a bonus disc)
A Bug's Life
Monsters Inc
The Incredibles
Fantasia (3 discs, includes Fantasia 2000 as well)

Peter Pan is forthcoming, and I think The Jungle Book and Pinochio are, as well.

Sadly, they briefly discontinued releasing single and double disc versions on the release date, and the (supposedly completed) Lilo & Stitch 2-disc set has never been released. I think they announced it (again) sometime last year, but (again) it was cancelled at the last minute.

And, of course, there are the Treasures, which are older Disney shorts and TV shows, and vanish very quickly once they're released. If you want to get the set of those, you have your work cut out for you. One from about two years ago (The Complete Goofy, Volume I) totally disappeared in less than a month.

General_Grievous
11-06-2006, 02:39 PM
I've got a few myself. I own all of the Pixar DVDs, and the Platinum Editions of Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, and The Little Mermaid (yeah, so I own the Little Mermaid, you wanna fight about it? ;) ). And you're right, JMG. Jungle Book and Pinocchio are coming next year. And they are also revisiting a lot of Disney animated films for the 2-disc treatment.

The one I wanted but missed out on was the Region 1 2-disc Tarzan DVD from a couple years back. They're for sale used on amazon, but they're a bit pricey.

Jek Porky 2002
11-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Thanks for that info guys! I must have missed the Atlantis 2 disc set then.

I got my copy of the Little Mermaid yesterday and it had a trailer for the Peter Pan special edition but no mention of whether it was 2 disc or not.

So where did you find out about the Jungle Book and Pinoccio DVDs then? I have not heard about these!

El Chuxter
11-07-2006, 10:29 AM
Peter Pan has been confirmed as the next Platinum Edition in the states, and all Platinum Editions are two-discers, so no need to worry on that one.

As for The Jungle Book and Pinocchio: Disney initially "tested the waters" on DVD several years back, releasing only a few movies to the format. When they exceeded expectations, Disney announced they'd release all their films on a permanent basis, minus a few (seven?). Those weren't specifically named, but Snow White and Beauty and the Beast were the first, and by process of elimination, folks quickly figured out the others included Lady & the Tramp, Aladdin, The Lion King, Sleeping Beauty, and The Jungle Book. New films would be released as single discs (available forever) and double discs (for a limited time release).

About two or three years ago, they sort of went back on the announcement, and said several titles were going "back in the vault" (read: out of print). These included Pinocchio, The Little Mermaid, Fantasia, and Peter Pan. They also then released Treasure Planet and Lilo & Stitch only as single discs. (No loss on Treasure Planet, but a tragedy for L&S -- especially since the set was supposedly already completed!)

A few months after everyone ran out and bought up these titles, they announced they were expanding the Platinum Edition line, and it would now include some titles that had been previously released, and they'd be released two per year. The announcement mentioned Platinum Editions of Fantasia, The Little Mermaid, and Pinocchio. (Again, it's not too tough to figure a Platinum Edition of Peter Pan from that info, and now it's been confirmed.)

They've also re-released several formerly single-disc films like Mulan and Pocahontas as double-disc sets, though they're not under the Platinum Edition banner in the states.

When Lilo & Stitch 2 (I say "ugh," but Mrs Chuxter seemed to like it for some odd reason), the packaging mentioned the two-disc L&S as "coming soon." However, it's been over two years, and no announcement, so I'm not holding my breath. Sad, really, as that's one of the greatest animated features they've produced without Tim Burton or Pixar.

General_Grievous
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I just ordered the 2 disc Tarzan DVD used from amazon for about $30. I found a good deal on it. It'll be nice to cap off my Disney animated collection. That is, unless I decide to buy The Jungle Book next year.

Jek Porky 2002
11-12-2006, 04:41 PM
I've just ordered Atlantis The Lost Empire 2 disc collectors edition from ebay, it comes with a special cardboard outer casing, only 20.00, hopefully I've picked up a bargain there!

General_Grievous
11-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Dinosaur
Atlantis
[These weren't two of Disney's biggest hits, but are awesome movies. Both incredibly underrated.]
I guess because they weren't "traditional and wholesome" Disney films. Heck, "Atlantis" is probably the most violent Disney movie next to "The Incredibles".

El Chuxter
11-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Plus it has the classic line:

"Ho ho ho! Voulez vouz couchet avec--
SMACK!

And of course, Vinnie's whole thing about blowing up the laundromat next door. "Then one day, boom! No more Chinese laundry."

Yeah, not quite kiddie fare. But still an awesome movie.

Jek Porky 2002
11-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I watched Atlatis last night and I do have to say, it's not what you'd call a "traditional" Disney film! There are one or two things in there that make you think.

At one point Commander Rourke states that "we've been up this creek before" I'm guessing that "this" is an anogram. Also they have a charactor that smokes, which I think for a kids movie released 2001, is a bit unPC. She also states at one point that sge sleeps in the nude, which I think is also slightly riskae!

El Chuxter
11-14-2006, 11:44 AM
I'd totally forgotten about her! She rocks! As does Cookie (who was, sadly, the last role ever played by the late Jim Varney).

Even more "adult" (if you know what's being said) is the scene when the "surface dwellers" realize the Atlanteans can understand all languages. Moliere starts to ask Kida to sleep with him, and she cuts him off by knocking the hell out of him!

Jek Porky 2002
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Of course, this isn't the first time Disney have snook dirty little messages in thier movies. In the Rescuers there is a scene where there is a picture of a naked woman hidden in the background. In the Little Mermaid the reverand who is marrying Eric and Ursula gets very "excited" in the trouser department and on the Lion King at one point Simba flops down and hits the ground and if you slow down the scene the cloud of dust that this creates spells out the word s*x!! Ibelieve there are more in other Disney films too.

El Chuxter
11-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Yeah, but those are hidden, and you have to look carefully for them.

Rogue II
11-16-2006, 12:10 PM
Or in the case of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, you just need to hit pause at the right moment.

JimJamBonds
11-16-2006, 12:49 PM
In Alladin the Princess says something like "all good teenagers take off their clothes."

El Chuxter
11-16-2006, 01:08 PM
There are a bunch of old shorts where you can see Minnie Mouse's underwear, and others where Donald Duck isn't wearing pants.

Jek Porky 2002
11-17-2006, 07:23 AM
I have heard about that bit in Aladdin but never seen it, at which point is it?

JimJamBonds
11-17-2006, 08:44 AM
Sorry I don't remember where that thing is in Alladin, we watched it in high school about 10 yrs ago.

Donald Duck, Pluto and a whole mess of others NEVER wear pants... the perv!