PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about the Beatles

El Chuxter
11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Okay, the reason for this thread is that I've never found two people who can agree on what the Beatles' best work was.

So--and don't mull this over; just answer with the first thing to come to mind!--what do you think was the one greatest album and one greatest song by the Beatles?

Album: Abbey Road

Song: Eleanor Rigby

Slicker
11-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Awesome thread idea, Chux. Especially since I've been listening to them damn near non-stop lately.

Album: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Song: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

The song was the toughest part. I wanted to put Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus, or a Day in the Life.

El Chuxter
11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
The song was the toughest part. I wanted to put Strawberry Fields, I am the Walrus, or a Day in the Life.

No kidding. If I'd posted it just a few minutes later, the answer could've been Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Rocky Raccoon, I Saw Her Standing There, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, I Am the Walrus, heck, any of about thirty other songs. ;)

Kidhuman
11-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Tough question sChux, I could run a bunch off. I cant recall the album but I am going with :

Song: The continuing adevntures of Bungaloo Bill.

Darth Jax
11-09-2006, 07:35 PM
album: sgt. pepper's
song: we can work it out.

the song was hard to stick with cause after seeing your second post chux i nearly changed it to something.

Blue2th
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Though every album of theirs is good to me, my band currently does six of their tunes: "Something", "Run for your life", "Ballad of John and Yoko", "Norwegian Wood", "Michelle", "Things we said today". There's alot of Rubber Soul in there, but my personal favorite is Abbey Road. Favorite Song is "I want you" This album is their peak musically. The later stuff the songs are alot harder to play also because well, they were better musicians as they got older. This is just my (a guitarist's) point of view.

2-1B
11-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Ballad of John and Yoko is probably my favorite Beatune.

JimJamBonds
11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Sgt. Peppers.

All you need is love.

Droid
11-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Album: Revolver
Song: If I Fell (my favorite, not necessarily their most masterful which would likely be A Day in the Life)

Bobby Fett
11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Album: Sgt. Pepper

Song: I Will

Rogue II
11-10-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm going to have to listen to Sgt. Pepper, Abby Road, and whatever the other Beatles album(I think it is the White Album) I have and Get Back to you on this one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Album - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Song - A Day in the Life

2-1B
11-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Can we turn it around for a minute and say what we think the worst Beatles song is ?

I suggest Yellow Submarine, man do I ever hate that f***ing song.

Kidhuman
11-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Worst song is Back in the USSR

El Chuxter
11-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Oh come on. Worst has to be "Revolution 9." Eight minutes of noise and John (?) chanting "Numbah nine, numbah nine." :eek:

2-1B
11-12-2006, 12:08 PM
I'll take that over Yellow Sub. ;)

Kidhuman
11-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Oh come on. Worst has to be "Revolution 9." Eight minutes of noise and John (?) chanting "Numbah nine, numbah nine." :eek:

Smoke a fatty and drop a tab and you will love that song.

Jayspawn
11-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Album: Abby Road

Song: She Loves You

Jayspawn
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Back in the USSR is a great song! Sorry but its one of the best on the White Album. I've heard McCartney sing it live twice and it never fails to please.

JimJamBonds
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM

Revolution #1 is good though.

El Chuxter
11-13-2006, 10:20 AM
As is the unnumbered "Revolution," since they're the same song at different tempos. Not sure how that mess got to share the title.

JimJamBonds
11-13-2006, 01:11 PM
As is the unnumbered "Revolution," since they're the same song at different tempos. Not sure how that mess got to share the title.

I think you answered your own question. :D

Droid
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
For worst song, is anyone familiar with "What's the New Mary Jane?" off of Beatles Anthology #3. I have only managed to listen to it all the way through one time.

I also don't care for You Know My Name (Look up the Number).

Or Blue Jay Way off the Magical Mystery Tour.

dindae
11-13-2006, 02:34 PM
Album: Revolver

Song: In My Life

JON9000
11-13-2006, 02:58 PM
"Lovely Rita" My man's talking about a double team with some sisters, no less!

"Revolver"

El Chuxter
11-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Okay, since we have Favorite Album, Favorite Song, and Least Favorite Song, why not add to the fun?

Favorite Beatle?
Note: "Fifth Beatles" (primarily Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best, Billy Preston, and Eric Clapton) are ineligible.

I'm going with George.

dindae
11-14-2006, 02:57 PM
I would have to go with Paul. Mainly because when looking at the credits for the songs I like he was listed more often.

Darth Jax
11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
definitely paul. he had the better solo stuff as well.

least favorite song would tend to be while my guitar gently weeps.

Kidhuman
11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Blasphemy Darth Jax.

Fav Beatle: Ringo

2-1B
11-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Ringo sang Yellow Sub, right ? He's my least favorite.

Fave might be George, I dig a few of his tunes and John had some good ones.

Paul bothers me, I'm not much of a fan of his. Some songs are okay.

So yeah, George and John.

"My Sweet Lord" makes me wanna convert to Hinduism !

El Chuxter
11-15-2006, 12:01 AM
I like Paul and John as a duo, but the sum of their collaborations is much greater than them as individuals. Sure, solo they had "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Imagine," but those are kinda flukes. Sorry. John Lennon is not the greatest songwriter ever.

Droid
11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Gotta vote Paul.

General_Grievous
11-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Best Album: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Best Song: "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band". It's just my favorite of theirs, even though I also love "Eleanor Rigby", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "All You Need Is Love" and "Yesterday".

Worst Song: "When I'm Sixty Four". It just doesn't appeal to me.

Favorite Beatle: John

JON9000
11-16-2006, 02:19 PM
Okay, since we have Favorite Album, Favorite Song, and Least Favorite Song, why not add to the fun?

Favorite Beatle?
Note: "Fifth Beatles" (primarily Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best, Billy Preston, and Eric Clapton) are ineligible.

I'm going with George.

What about Yoyo Ono? I mean Yoko Ono? I vote yoko.

2-1B
11-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Another Question: Best and Worst cover versions of Beatles' tunes ?

Best: Aerosmith doing Come Together (and Helter Skelter as well since they play it live sometimes), Tesla doing We Can Work it Out, Tiffany doing "I Saw Him Standing There" (kidding about that last one...kinda lol ).

Worst: Hello, Goodbye on that annoying phone commercial, the new Macy's ad where they butcher that song whose title I'm blanking on but you know what I mean, and Motley Crue doing Helter Skelter.

Blue2th
11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
The worst thing about the Beatles is knowing everytime their songs are used in a commercial, Michael Jackson's bank account goes "cha-ching":(

Rogue II
11-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Didn't Michael Jackson sell the rights to the Beatles because he needed the money?

Darth Jax
11-19-2006, 11:01 PM
best cover - magical mystery tour by cheap trick (but aerosmith does come together well).

worst cover - ticket to ride by the carpenters.

El Chuxter
11-19-2006, 11:49 PM
Carpenters' "Ticket to Ride" does, uh, exhale heavily.

Best... much tougher. Let me get back to you on that.

Kidhuman
11-20-2006, 07:07 AM
Best: Alot of Beatles covers out there especially Come Together. I happen to like U2's version of Helter Skelter.

Worst: Tiffany's

Blue2th
11-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Didn't Michael Jackson sell the rights to the Beatles because he needed the money?
No, Jacko still owns the publishing rights. He did put them up as collateral for a loan from Sony. If he defaults, Sony gets them.

Droid
11-20-2006, 01:46 PM
Best Cover: A Little Help from My Friends as performed by Joe Cocker and played as the opening theme to the Wonder Years (the full version is a bit long though)

Worst Cover: Anything from the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band though Donald Pleasance singing I Want You may take the cake. If you aren't aware of this fiasco check the web. The Bee Gees and various celebrities perform the Beatles' hits! How did it fail?

Darth Jax
11-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Worst Cover: Anything from the movie Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band though Donald Pleasance singing I Want You may take the cake. If you aren't aware of this fiasco check the web. The Bee Gees and various celebrities perform the Beatles' hits! How did it fail?

frampton rules.

dr_evazan22
11-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Album: Abbey Road

Song: Help!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2006, 11:37 AM
Ugh. I started watching some of this crap the other day just to see how bad it was, and I barely got ten minutes in. They had to freakin' take every single reference in that album (and others, too) and put it in the movie. Mr. Kite, Strawberry Fields (a person???), Billy Shears, and everything else. I had to just turn it right off when the Bee Gees appeared, I mean, come on now.

El Chuxter
11-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Everything from that movie isn't bad. Aerosmith's "Come Together" was quite good. However, I will grant you that it's my least favorite Aerosmith cover of a Beatles tune. :)

Who aside from Caesar can be the first to name the others without cheating?

2-1B
11-22-2006, 09:38 PM
I forgot to mention the one Chux is referring to...that would be on my list, too. :)

CaptainSolo1138
12-01-2006, 09:18 PM
White Album

"Taxman"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Since we're in a Beatles thread . . . has anyone picked up the Love album yet? I'm looking forward to getting this sometime soon, as it seems like it would be amazing (and from what I've heard, it is).

El Chuxter
12-04-2006, 05:55 PM
I picked it up. It's not bad, but for the most part nothing truly spectacular. There are a few songs (Strawberry Fields Forever, Because, and While My Guitar Gently Weeps) that make it worth picking up if you're a fan. If you're not, I'd stick with the original recordings.

Rogue II
12-04-2006, 06:31 PM
What exactly is on the Love album? All I know about it is that it has something to do with the show performed Circus De Solei.

Rogue II
12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Has anyone ever heard the Foo Fighters cover of Blackbird? Its not bad.

Jayspawn
12-13-2006, 09:34 PM
What exactly is on the Love album? All I know about it is that it has something to do with the show performed Circus De Solei.

Love is a remix of songs and sounds all previously done by the Beatles. It was arranged by George and Giles Martin, George who did the orginal Beatles music. And its set to Circus De Soleis' dancing, spinning, flipping, etc. Some of the tracks are close to the original recordings, most of them are a mixture of music of some songs and the words of another. Its a good listen.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2014, 08:59 AM
Ba-Bump! With all the 50th anniversary coverage lately:

Favorite George (as lead vocalist) Beatles song?
Favorite John song?
Favorite Paul song?
Favorite Ringo song?

JimJamBonds
02-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Here Comes The Sun
All You Need Is Love
Hey Jude
With a little help from my friends.