PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question about Pink Floyd

Kidhuman
11-11-2006, 05:40 PM
You know the drill:

Album: My favorite Album is not the one my favorite song is of off. For Albums I will go with The Final Cut

Song: Brain Damage/Eclipse

Blue2th
11-11-2006, 06:20 PM
Favorite album: Medley... Favorite song: Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave grooving with a Pict...if you can call it a song, off the album Umaguma. For anyone who's not heard this song, you will not believe your ears! What the! It is what it says. Just what the "Pict" is saying though is open to interpretation.:ninja:

LusiferSam
11-11-2006, 07:17 PM
You know the drill:

Album: My favorite Album is not the one my favorite song is of off. For Albums I will go with The Final Cut

Song: Brain Damage/Eclipse

:p That a solo album and those are two songs. :p

I'm guessing most people here would expect my favorite Pink Floyd song to be Lucifer Sam (although I really do like that song a lot). But you'd be wrong. It's Summer '68 from Atom Heard Mother. Album would be The Wall.

El Chuxter
11-11-2006, 07:18 PM
This one's tougher for me, since I don't know Pink Floyd as well, and mostly listen to the album's without even looking at the song titles (since they're best taken whole, for the most part). But here goes.

Album: Dark Side of the Moon
Song: Comfortably Numb

Kidhuman
11-11-2006, 08:51 PM
:p That a solo album and those are two songs. :p

I'm guessing most people here would expect my favorite Pink Floyd song to be Lucifer Sam (although I really do like that song a lot). But you'd be wrong. It's Summer '68 from Atom Heard Mother. Album would be The Wall.

listed in the discography (http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/disc_idx.html) and depending on which version of DSOTM you have it will list as one or two separate songs.

Rebo's_Guitarist
11-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Favorite album: Medley... Favorite song: Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave grooving with a Pict...if you can call it a song, off the album Umaguma. For anyone who's not heard this song, you will not believe your ears! What the! It is what it says. Just what the "Pict" is saying though is open to interpretation.:ninja:

Meddle:thumbsup:

Album - Varies from day to day, huge PF fan

Song - Ill pick one they dont play on the radio - Fearless, or maybe Interstellar Overdrive

Hey I know MrJabbaJon will reply, so have you (or anyone else) read the book Inside Out?

stillakid
11-12-2006, 07:20 AM
The Wall: Live in Berlin 1990

Song from that concert: Hey you as sung by Paul Carrack

I'm also a big fan of What Do You Want From Me? from The Division Bell

Darth Jax
11-12-2006, 12:54 PM
album - DSOTM unless you want to count echoes

song -money. when i was much younger i always loved another brick in the wall - cause we don't need no education.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Hey I know MrJabbaJon will reply, so have you (or anyone else) read the book Inside Out?
No I haven't, but I will be asking for it for my birthday or Christmas. :thumbsup:

That a solo album and those are two songs.
No, the Final Cut was released under Pink Floyd, even though Richard Wright was not performing with them at the time and Roger Waters wrote all the songs.

The Wall: Live in Berlin 1990

Song from that concert: Hey you as sung by Paul Carrack
This, however, was a "solo" album. Roger Waters left the band in 1984 and rejoined in 2005, so he was "alone" for this one but with other non-Floyd artists.

Pink Floyd is definitely my favorite band. My favorite stuff of theirs changes all the time. I love things about all their albums and songs, some more than others.

Album - Meddle
Song - Wish You Were Here

stillakid
11-12-2006, 04:06 PM
This, however, was a "solo" album. Roger Waters left the band in 1984 and rejoined in 2005, so he was "alone" for this one but with other non-Floyd artists.

Uh, yeah, I know. :sur: So? I mean, if you really want to get technical about what constitutes "Pink Floyd" and what doesn't, then anything post Syd doesn't really count either if that's what you're getting at.

LusiferSam
11-12-2006, 04:14 PM
No, the Final Cut was released under Pink Floyd, even though Richard Wright was not performing with them at the time and Roger Waters wrote all the songs.

I was only joking with KH. The liner notes say "a requiem for the post war dream by roger waters performed by pink floyd." A lot of Floyd fans call The Final Cut Roger's first solo album and A Momentary Lapse of Reason David's third solo album, although I'm not one of those fans. Had anybody said either of those albums were their favorite I would have given them crap about it.

Kidhuman
11-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I love MLOR, I love Dogs of War and One Slip. I read somewhere that Dogs of War was voted one of the worst songs of all time(was a few years back, dont remember where). Not my favorite album but a good one none the less.

stillakid
11-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I love Momentary Lapse of Reason. Essentially, I was never a fan of any of the Syd Barrett stuff. Roger certainly brought a level of epicness to the writing, but it is Gilmour's guitar that is equally iconic of Pink Floyd. It's a shame they couldn't get along and that Roger has to be such an arrogant arse about it all because as a team, they really had something special. The result is that Roger needed to bring together a diverse group to pull off what Gilmour could do on his own. And Gilmore is a decent enough writer on his own so that's nothing to shake a stick at either.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-13-2006, 12:43 AM
I suppose I'll go with Wish You Were Here for favorite album.

For song, I'll pick "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".

I don't think I've heard Meddle in its entirety, otherwise it might be my favorite Pink Floyd album.

dindae
11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Difficult to say I'm going to give it to the Wall. While I don't listen to it much anymore it is definately their most creative album. I find most of their other album have those part 123 songs which although I like them make it hard for me to vote for since there are only a handful of songs on the album.

song - Fearless

JON9000
11-13-2006, 02:55 PM
again, I have to go with what is seared into my brain from hearing it for the first time:

"Money" with its crazy time signature

from "Dark Side of the Moon"

As far as the Barrett stuff goes, I saw Floyd live in 94, and they opened with "Astronomy Domine" which was completely reworked into a pulsating Rock anthem. It brought down the house, and frankly, I thought it was the highlight of the show!

stillakid
11-13-2006, 04:12 PM
As far as the Barrett stuff goes, I saw Floyd live in 94, and they opened with "Astronomy Domine" which was completely reworked into a pulsating Rock anthem. It brought down the house, and frankly, I thought it was the highlight of the show!

I got to see them live in Cleveland in '87 on the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour. Can't remember much about what they played, but I was amazed that somehow, I managed to get a contact buzz off the cloud of pot smoke hanging in the air in an open-air stadium!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-13-2006, 05:27 PM
Yesterday at Borders, I saw that they had the Live at Pompeii DVD, which I will need to get (my friend gave me the audio files and they're quite good). I still don't have The Wall film or PULSE (DVD or CD) but they are definitely going on birthday/Christmas lists. They occasionally get in some gems at Borders; earlier this summer I got the London '66-'67 album which is pretty trippy (but you're not missing much if you don't have it).

What are some good solo albums from the band members? I have Gilmour's On An Island from this year which is pretty good and very similar to the later Floyd stuff, but actually better in some places. iTunes has several more solo albums which I will look into.

As far as the Barrett stuff (just Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Jugband Blues from A Saucerful of Secrets, and five or so other songs, really), I like it. At first, I really hated it, but I grew to appreciate it more. Jugband Blues is just so damn sad, especially when you take into account that it was his last song with the band before he went nuts. :cry:

JON9000
11-13-2006, 06:34 PM
There's a CD that came with the big boxed set called the early singles that some good stuff on it, like "Arnold Layne", "Point Me at the Sky", "See Emily Play" and other stuff.

The only solo album I've listened to is "Amused to Death" by Waters. It was about as good as the post-Waters Floyd stuff.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-13-2006, 07:15 PM
A friend from college probably has just about everything Pink Floyd. In college I borrowed the tapes and started listening from the first album. I don't recall how far I got, but I rememer liking the psychedelic garage band sound of Piper at the Gates of Dawn, particularly "Lucifer Sam" and "Astronomy Domine", and perhaps "Interstellar Overdrive" (I don't recall how that one goes other than the sample I just listened to on iTunes). Sometime after that, I saw a band called Jessamine play in a local bar. As I was listening, the lyrics to one song started to sound familiar, and I realized it was "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", which I recognized from listening to my friend's tape a year or two before.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-14-2006, 05:34 PM
There's a CD that came with the big boxed set called the early singles that some good stuff on it, like "Arnold Layne", "Point Me at the Sky", "See Emily Play" and other stuff.

The only solo album I've listened to is "Amused to Death" by Waters. It was about as good as the post-Waters Floyd stuff.
Point Me At The Sky is one of the few Pink Floyd songs I don't have (along with It Would Be So Nice, the few tracks from Zabriskie Point, those from the PULSE album, and maybe a few more I don't know about). I don't know anyone with this set and I don't really feel like spending hundreds of dollars on a set consisting of stuff I already have. Is it any good?

JON9000
11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Point Me At The Sky is one of the few Pink Floyd songs I don't have (along with It Would Be So Nice, the few tracks from Zabriskie Point, those from the PULSE album, and maybe a few more I don't know about). I don't know anyone with this set and I don't really feel like spending hundreds of dollars on a set consisting of stuff I already have. Is it any good?

The set or the song?

I think "Point" and "So Nice" are the only songs unique to the box set at this point, and that makes them a bitty to track down since these were released to cd before they could be ripped or napstered, and nobody thinks of it these days.

Point Me at the Sky is a good song, definitely from the psychedelic phase. I really like it. I had a friend that had the box set and I made a tape of the singles CD back in 92. I wouldn't pay $100 just to get it, though!

Rogue II
11-15-2006, 10:09 AM
I saw Pink Floyd twice during the '94 tour.

Its hard to pick a favorite song or album...I guess Learning to Fly would be the song at the moment. Album...Dark Side of the Moon because VH-1 Classic had a "Greatest Albums" type documentary on it recently.

On a side note, one of the greatest names for a song has to be "Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict" on Ummagumma

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2006, 11:57 AM
Okay then, what about these noodlers?

Favorite member?
Least favorite album (studio only)?
Least favorite song?

For member, I have to go with David Gilmour. For instance, on the Wall, all the songs he worked on are the best ones (Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Young Lust). And in their earlier stuff I like his voice best. Anyone who doesn't crap their pants when he gets to the solos in Comfortably Numb has something wrong with them.

Least favorite studio album is probably Ummagumma. The Narrow Way is great, but that's really all it's got going for it. It seemed less like an album than a loose collection of random songs (seeing as how each band member got to do their own stuff unchecked, proving that the whole is much greater than the sum of the parts). That whole era (1969-1970) wasn't so hot, but the other albums from then did turn out Fat Old Sun, the Atom Heart Mother Suite, the Nile Song, and Cymbaline, which I prefer to Ummagumma tracks. More is a close second for worst.

Least favorite song, is Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict. Just a little too far on the experimental side of things, I think, and there wasn't even any music in it. Someone tell Roger to lay off them mushrooms.