PDA

View Full Version : If YOU ALONE could pick the 8 Greatest Hits figs for 2007

jjreason
11-11-2006, 08:22 PM
How would you do it? Would you base it on the "awesomeness" of the figure? The "Hard-to-get-it-ness"? Did you miss a figure that you covet?

For me, it's a combination. So, without further ado, I hereby reveal to you the 8 figures I'd re-release if I were in charge, complete with rationale. Numbering system DOES NOT denote my feelings with respect to each figure - they're all awesome in their own wonderful ways. I also assumed that we'd get to see a significant number of "key characters" rereleased as part of this line (Commtech Han, anyone?), so I tried to stray a little ways off the beaten path for most of my pics.

1. R1G4, from the Saga collection (2004). Why? He's amazingly cool and different - and was never available at Canadian retail.

2. Zuckuss, from the POTF2 collection (circa 1998). Why? Besides the exclusive Bounty Hunters 7 pack, this figure has not seen a re-release. Unlike 4-LOM, I see absolutely NO need to upgrade this figure - and he was never available at Canadian retail (sensing a trend?).

3. Super Poseable Stormtrooper, from the VOTC collection. Tons of people like troop builders, here's one we haven't had a chance to get other than it's initial release.

4. FX7, from the POTJ line. Another perfect droid that was only available once.

5. Sio Bibble, from the Episode I line. Very hard to find, and a nice figure once you have him.

6. TC14, also from Epsisode I. Another very nice figure that was especially tough to get at retail.

7. R4-P17, if that's the correct name for Obi Wan's astromech from late in the ROTS line. Great sculpt, I'm hoping we'll get an R2 like this one in 2007 as well.

8. Grand Admiral Thrawn, from the POTF2 EU wave. I never got him, and actually quite liked the character in those Zahn books. I'd buy him for sure if they put him out again.

Kidhuman
11-11-2006, 08:56 PM
Sio Bibble
Padme (acension gun)
Stormie(VOTC)
Clone Trooper(SA CW Line)

will add the other 4 later

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Some good choices. I think an ideal greatest hits wave should have a mixture of core characters, hard to find figures, and army builders. Of course, they should all be quality figures as well. Your list has quality figures, hard to find figures and one trooper. I think if you added a Luke, Han, Vader and Obi-Wan to the mix, you'd have a nice case of 12 figures.

Now, that is what I feel would be the best strategy in terms of Hasbro having a good assortment of figures to sell. Personally, since I pretty much have every figure, I'd mostly be interested in army builders.

Tycho
11-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Great topic JJReason! I'm about to sort of rip your choices apart, but it's not personal. I really DO think it's a great topic.

Now I'm a diorama builder and the way I shop is by listing all the figures I need for my scenes (like 8 of those latest Naboo troops) and then I go out and buy them all immediately while the wave is still shipping. So really, I never missed out on any figure I wanted unless they were in Battle Packs or Evolutions sets and I couldn't get them individually carded and didn't need the rest.

I'm also mostly done with my troop building, but there's one or two...

How would you do it? Would you base it on the "awesomeness" of the figure? The "Hard-to-get-it-ness"? Did you miss a figure that you covet?

No.

Maybe - as I said, "if it came in an Evolutions pack or with other stuff I didn't need and thus didn't buy."

No. Technically.

For me, it's a combination. So, without further ado, I hereby reveal to you the 8 figures I'd re-release if I were in charge, complete with rationale. Numbering system DOES NOT denote my feelings with respect to each figure - they're all awesome in their own wonderful ways. I also assumed that we'd get to see a significant number of "key characters" rereleased as part of this line (Commtech Han, anyone?), so I tried to stray a little ways off the beaten path for most of my pics.

Ditto what JJReason said.

NO -
R1G4, from the Saga collection (2004). Why? He's amazingly cool and different - and was never available at Canadian retail. - But I'm sorry to hear he wasn't available in Canada. Never? Or was he just uncommon?

NO -
Zuckuss, from the POTF2 collection (circa 1998). Why? Besides the exclusive Bounty Hunters 7 pack, this figure has not seen a re-release. Unlike 4-LOM, I see absolutely NO need to upgrade this figure - and he was never available at Canadian retail (sensing a trend?). - Did Canada really get screwed out of figures, or did you just not want to shop at 6:45 in the morning to make sure you got them? That's the only time I ever saw and bought Zuckuss in the USA, myself.

NO -
Super Poseable Stormtrooper, from the VOTC collection. Tons of people like troop builders, here's one we haven't had a chance to get other than it's initial release. Others would find this figure very useful I'm sure, but I have a box with about 7-8 more 1995 stormtroopers I never needed to open for my scenes yet. And I just don't need them. I have easily over 70 1995 stormtroopers, all bought in 1995-1996-1997 and I'm done with them. I also do not do an "Emperor's Arrival" diorama, so I don't need them in neutral poses and the 95 pre-pose is not that bad.

MAYBE -
FX7, from the POTJ line. Another perfect droid that was only available once. Darth Vader's FX-6 or whatever it was in ROTS would be useful with a scene consisting of Deluxe Operating Table Vader, Palpatine, the Chopper Droid, and some sort of "21-A."

NO -
Sio Bibble, from the Episode I line. Very hard to find, and a nice figure once you have him. I have enough of Sios. I might like an aged Sio from the Clone Wars / ROTS era, but that's a new figure, isn't it?

NO -
TC14, also from Epsisode I. Another very nice figure that was especially tough to get at retail. I got several to be TC-14, U-3PO, E-3PO, etc. I'm done.

NO -
R4-P17, if that's the correct name for Obi Wan's astromech from late in the ROTS line. Great sculpt, I'm hoping we'll get an R2 like this one in 2007 as well. I'm glad we were offered it. I bought a few and put them in the ARC-170 and around, but I'm done.

NO -
Grand Admiral Thrawn, from the POTF2 EU wave. I never got him, and actually quite liked the character in those Zahn books. I'd buy him for sure if they put him out again. I like his character too, but he needs a resculpt. The figure was never as good as it needed to be.

so my other picks:

2) Anakin Skywalker from AOTC, "Evolutions" figure. I still need roughly 8 Anakins without an angry look on their faces for AOTC scenes - with a Jedi robe, too. Softgoods could be fine, but molded plastic if it is just hanging down, not "in action" or being "wind blown" would be great.

3) SA AOTC Lieutenient (blue) Clone Trooper from the Entertainment Earth 4-packs. I never bought the EE troop builder sets because there would be more Sergeants (green - offered in the final saga2 's 22 soon actually) and more Lieutenients (blue) than there would be captains (red - initially offered in May 2002) or Commanders (needed on a very limited basis and available in the Clone Wars 2-packs with Yoda, or through the EE sets since you'd need the other clones they include anyway).

4) Clone kid - originally packaged with Lama Su. I'd like a two-pack or something.

I think that's it for the moment.

pbarnard
11-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Trying to distinguish if people want the most obscure, the ones they missed out on, or an actual greatest hits...I think it's a line designed for the people who need a figure/character and have that a constant need, be it kids, collectors etc. So this should be the "entry level" type of figure.

VOTC Stormtrooper
Dutch Vander (can rotate it out with Biggs or Wedge or Zev or even Luke on the same body...can also make shorter by switching lower legs with VOTC Luke Pilot)
Imperial Officer (keep rotating the head sculpts)
Random Astromech
Rotate the Protocol/misc droid by wave
PotJ Bespin Han or VOTC ANH Han
TSC #13 Vader w/#38 accessories
Rotate the Clone here.

It allows it to be continued and updated throughout a year imo.

jjreason
11-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Tycho - we did, and still do, get screwed out of figs. Annually. If you'd like an understanding of what figures never came to Canada, just imagine EVERY final wave you found at retail before a packaging change - and that's the list. The first wave we ever missed was the last "Freeze Frame" wave of bad guys: Ishi Tib, Zuckuss, Piett, Rem Helmet Vader - and I can't recall what else. Since then we've missed the final EpI assortment, the final POTJ assortment (which was awesome, if you recall - BoShek, Teebo, etc), etc, etc, etc - to the point where myself and other Canadian completists have had to bother our US friends almost endlessly to get what we want.

I shop A LOT - hours and hours each week. I pretty much always get exactly whatever I want from whatever we get up here.... "due diligence" is not an issue with me at all.

We always gripe to Hasbro Canada, but they always try to placate us by offering us the newer figures a bit earlier than you guys get them down there (we got Saga2 first last year, and I'm assuming we'll get the 30th Anniversary stuff before you guys this winter). But enough about the rant, I have all of the figures I mentioned in my list save Thrawn - and I've had to resort to some pretty bad business to get a few of them (ie ebay).

I chose a list of 8 background characters because I read somewhere that the fans will choose 8 of 24 "Greatest Hits" figures for next year - and I figured that Hasbro would be filling the other 16 spots with the regular repacks of core characters (Vader, Ani, R2, Han, etc).

Mad Slanted Powers
11-11-2006, 11:10 PM
If you'd like an understanding of what figures never came to Canada, just imagine EVERY final wave you found at retail before a packaging change - and that's the list. The first wave we ever missed was the last "Freeze Frame" wave of bad guys: Ishi Tib, Zuckuss, Piett, Rem Helmet Vader - and I can't recall what else. Since then we've missed the final EpI assortment, the final POTJ assortment (which was awesome, if you recall - BoShek, Teebo, etc), etc, etc, etc - to the point where myself and other Canadian completists have had to bother our US friends almost endlessly to get what we want. Perhaps me being close to Canada explains why I have trouble finding those same waves. I didn't start collecting until Episode I, but just about every final wave of figures has been hard to find. I'm not able to go early in the morning. I normally just check on Saturdays anymore. Back in the Saga and OTC days, I would often go after work once or twice during the week.

Back to the Greatest Hits topic though. If you think back to the vintage days, there were just 12 figures for a while, and there ended up only being 20 (21 counting Boba Fett) before the ESB line started. I think those original 12 (substituting Tarkin for the Death Squad Commander), are most of the figures a kid would want or need from ANH. I could probably come up with a similar list for each movie. However, that's 72 figures if you have 12 per movie. Plus, whenever I try to pick 12 characters from each movie, it's harder for all the other movies. There are either too many outfits to choose from for a character (Padme), or the character is basically unchanged in other movies (Chewie).

2-1B
11-12-2006, 12:51 AM
2-1B (POTF2)
FX-7 (POTJ)
Bossk (POTF2)
Ephant Mon (Fan's Choice)
Captain Typho (AOTC)
Teemto Pagalies ('cause of how you can make it look like his bag is hanging out)
Captain Tarpals (TPM)
Stormtrooper (VOTC)

Tycho
11-12-2006, 02:27 AM
That Canadian situation sucks JJReason.

But Vader RH / Zuckuss wave was not the last 98 FF wave:

C1: Luke Bespin, Leia Ewok, Lando Gen., Endor Reb
C2: Biggs, Lak, Wicket & Logray
C3: Darth RH, Ishi Tibb, Piett, Zuckuss

then:

C1: Luke New Likeness, Leia New Likeness, C-3PO, R2D2
C2: Ugnaughts, 8D8
C3: Ree-Yees, Death Star Trooper

then:

C1: Mon Mothma, Chewie Chains, Lobot, Prune Face
C2: Thrawn, Mara, Space Trooper, Luke DE, Palpatine DE, Imp Sent., Kyle, Dark Troop, Leia DE
C3: AT-AT Driver, Leia Hoth, DS Droid, Pote - went to FanClub

I think I forgot a C2 wave, but I don't recollect at the moment. The point is that Vader RH came early in 1998 (1st Quarter anyway) and it was not the last of the C3s, though maybe that assortment did skip Canada altogether.

I believe you when you say you looked for them and couldn't find them. I'm sorry for your experience.

jjreason
11-12-2006, 07:26 AM
I'm not sure why we skipped that wave, but I remember finding the Ceremonial Luke wave and feeling like we'd been passed over. Was removable helmet Vaders's wave the last WITHOUT the freeze frames? Either way, that whole wave of blue-accented cards didn't come up here (and neither did the Expanded Universe wave, since we're half on that topic).

Caesar - I'm horrified to say that I'm going to dig out my Teemto figure right now, I had no idea there was an "action feature". :(

EDITED: Based on your post Tycho, it looks like we were completely skipped for Collection 3 cases. None of them came up here, and I wound up paying approx $20 each for them using ebay. Ugly.

EDITED part 2: Looking back, I'm sure we DID get some Collection 3 figures, because I have FF slides for a bunch of them in my slide folders - but they were all repacks (Snowtrooper, TIE Pilot, Boba Fett, etc). It must have been the last wave or 2 of C3 figures that didn't make it up here.

Regardless, I'm so far off topic in my own thread that I should likely pay the penance of some BSLOS - so I'll go Canadian:

Always too hot, never too cold
You make your last shot
Too hot to hold.

- pre-angst Alanis Morrissette, back when she was a dance pop queen known only as "Alanis"

2-1B
11-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Caesar - I'm horrified to say that I'm going to dig out my Teemto figure right now, I had no idea there was an "action feature". :(

Turn his belt by about 90 degrees and have a laugh.

Rogue II
11-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Since it is the 30th Anniversary, I'd use a Vintage style cards

1) TC-14
2) Imperial Officer
3) VOTC Stormtrooper
4) VOTC Han
5) Evolutions Vader
6) 300th Boba Fett
7) Wedge (OTC?)
8) Blue Snaggletooth (from Cantina exclusive)

Tycho
11-12-2006, 12:04 PM
. Was removable helmet Vaders's wave the last WITHOUT the freeze frames?

No. I think you answered this question for yourself, but RH Vader was never released before FFs.

EDITED: Based on your post Tycho, it looks like we were completely skipped for Collection 3 cases. None of them came up here, and I wound up paying approx $20 each for them using ebay. Ugly.

I'm very sorry. That's really bad planning on Hasbro-Canada's part. C3 was the bad guys and how can you play with action figures and have only good guys and no bad guys? They really made a mistake.

EDITED part 2: Looking back, I'm sure we DID get some Collection 3 figures, because I have FF slides for a bunch of them in my slide folders - but they were all repacks (Snowtrooper, TIE Pilot, Boba Fett, etc). It must have been the last wave or 2 of C3 figures that didn't make it up here.

No - IIRC those repacks shipped alongside the new figures in their cases so there'd be something left after stores stocked C3. There were 4 new figures (the primary ones we're dicussing: Piett, Vader RH, Zuckuss, and Ishi Tibb - who was actually made as a Rebel, but whatever) and while a 12-pack case could have included 3 of each of them, I think only Vader RH had 3 to a case, and that gave you 9 /12 and thus the other 3 were used to give the case some troops and figures with longer peg-lifes (Snowtrooper, TIE Pilot, Fett, etc.) Hasbro wanted something of their product on the pegs if that case came in. A collector - army-builder-type like myself would have bought whole cases out of a store had it been all 3-3-3-3. Thus there would be no Star Wars figures left for any customers who shopped that store after 7:05 am (that Wal-Mart now opens at 6am and it would be frustrating as hell if I didn't have a connection elsewhere that was hooking me up with Gungan Rep Beens. I do not want to do 5:45am!)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-12-2006, 01:13 PM
I would probably just pick figures that were hard to find. They don't need to rerelease great figures that everyone has. Also, besides the 8 that RS picks, there will be many more throughout the year. Anyway, here are my 8 picks, knowing that we will also be getting the standard main character reissues alongside them.

1. TC-14 (Episode I)
2. R2-B1 (Episode I)
3. Queen Amidala (Battle - Episode I)
4. Sio Bibble (Episode I)
5. Pit Droids 2-pack - would be rotated between the actual 2-pack and various 2-packs made up from the overseas bonus ones
6. Battle Droids (Security - POTJ) - a two-pack, like Hasbro said they wanted to do with Battle Droids from now on, and would be rotated between red ones and blue pilot ones
7. Clone Trooper (Clone Wars) - would be rotated between the various colors, with both regular and battle damaged versions from the EE packs
8. Stormtrooper (VOTC)

JON9000
11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I would choose based on the fact that it is a "Greatest Hits" line and include the main characters... 4 from each era!

VOTC HAN SOLO

VOTC CHEWBACCA

VOTC BOBA FETT

VOTC STORMIE

EVOLUTIONS AOTC ANAKIN

EPISODE I PADME

SUPER ARTICULATED CLONE TROOPER

EVOLUTIONS COUNT DOOKU

:thumbsup: These would have the added bonus of also selling like hotcakes, with the exception of Padme, maybe. But I needed to give some love to at least 1 female, and it wasn't going to be gragra!

jjreason
11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
I would choose based on the fact that it is a "Greatest Hits" line and include the main characters...

Good idea, I was kind of assuming that these characters would be represented in the other available slots for next year (though they likely won't send out the nice versions that you've suggested).

Jargo
11-12-2006, 04:20 PM
I just wouldn't pick any.

I'd do boxed sets of similarly themed figures. with one new figure in each set as a sweetener. especially with droids and smaller characters. I definitely wouldn't call anything a greatest hits item because it isn't great to everybody. it's a subjective term.

the last greatest hits selection contained nothing i would have deemed great. I mean to me, a good set would be something like The Emperor with a new cloak that isn't massive, Janus Greejatus, Kren Blista - Vanee and two crimson guards.
or Bail Organa, Captain Antilles, Captian Colton and that female aide I always forget the name of who wears a sort of greeny grey uniform.
or Dooku, SBD, Palpatine, Obi and Anakin.
or Endor han, Leia, 3PO, R2 with his mechanisms all popped out and a Biker scout.

all contain older figures, but rather than just some random selection you get a scene in a box. much handier for those who want to catch up and those who are new to collecting.

true boxed sets aren't all good, but they don't clog pegs and hold up the fresher stuff. shoving older figures in boxed sets means the regular line can happily chug along at its normal pace. The only thing I'd change with the current boxed sets designs is to make the boxes smaller and not have the figures scattered across the backdrop. more compact packaging akin to the bounty hunters set or the millenium falcon crew set. simple clean packaging.

which isn't what you wanted to hear i don't suppose. I'm just tired of all this masses of packaging with figures. it's uneconomical as a consumer and harmful to the environment. I'd sooner get one box with multiple figures than lots of single carded figures.

jjreason
11-12-2006, 05:12 PM
It's totally fine, I'm just interested in hearing how people would decide upon the figures really.... moreso than I am exactly who they'd pick. The idea stemmed from my frustration with how RS was going about having people vote for their choices - I don't think they set that up very well.

dindae
11-12-2006, 05:51 PM
I would simply do a few rounds of here are all of the figures vote for all of the ones you want to see and then take the highest ranked into the next round. I don't think face offs are a good way to do this simply because if two really good figures are put up against each other then one is eliminated even though it may be the 2nd best figure offered. As far as figures I would like to see it is purely army builders beause I have almost everything else since I'm still a completist to a certain extent. Figures I want more of are Stormtrooper, AOTC Clone Pilot (for the gunpod), battle droids (red and tan), and possibly more white AOTC clones.

pegger
11-12-2006, 05:54 PM
The problem with the RS vote is that people are voting for previously hard to get figures... not greatest figures...

I myself am voting for the pit droids, because they are CRAZY expensive on ebay...

The fact that the darktrooper might win is proof of my opinion. I mean the figure is OK - but it is by no means an "ultimate" version of this figure..

If I was to pick the top 8 versions:

1. VTSC Biker scout
2. Evolutions Dooku
3. Evolutions Ep 2 Anakin
4. ROTS #41 Clone trooper
5. SA Ep. 2 Clone trooper
6. FX-7
7. VTSC Pilot Luke
8. VTSC Endor Han

These are the ultimate versions of these characters. I don't think they can improve upon the molds...In my minds, that's what a "greatest hits" line should be...not rehashed stuff...that can or should be improved upon.

TheDarthVader
11-12-2006, 05:55 PM
1. ephant mon
2. tc-14
3. sio bibble
4. amidala acension gun
5. zuckuss
6. dutch vander pilot
7. biggs darklighter pilot
8. votc stormtrooper

that is all

Devo
11-12-2006, 07:47 PM
2. Evolutions Dooku
3. Evolutions Ep 2 Anakin
7. VTSC Pilot Luke
8. VTSC Endor Han

These are the ultimate versions of these characters. I don't think they can improve upon the molds.

I know its beside the point of this thread but these molds could be improved on IMO with normal swivel necks. The ball-joints are grotesque and ruin the hair&jaw lines. Endor Han's hair is wrong for this film (ROTJ) and he's a skinny runt. The pilot Luke looks like he could kick seven shades of excrement out of him. And indeed the Evolutions Dooku was a disimprovement on the ROTS basic figure if you ask me - if Dooku was to be included in the line I'd go for the ROTS one.

I'm not voting on this line actually. Everytime I think of a figure I'd like them to reissue I then think 'no, I'd rather see a resculpt and if this version gets put out again and it warms pegs it definitely won't get a resculpt for years to come'.

pegger
11-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I know its beside the point of this thread but these molds could be improved on IMO with normal swivel necks. The ball-joints are grotesque and ruin the hair&jaw lines. Endor Han's hair is wrong for this film (ROTJ) and he's a skinny runt. The pilot Luke looks like he could kick seven shades of excrement out of him. And indeed the Evolutions Dooku was a disimprovement on the ROTS basic figure if you ask me - if Dooku was to be included in the line I'd go for the ROTS one.

I was going to say that you're missing my point but then you said....

I'm not voting on this line actually. Everytime I think of a figure I'd like them to reissue I then think 'no, I'd rather see a resculpt and if this version gets put out again and it warms pegs it definitely won't get a resculpt for years to come'.

And you basically got my point.

Turbowars
11-13-2006, 10:27 PM
1. R1G4
2. Zuckuss,
3. Super Poseable Stormtrooper, from the VOTC collection.
4. FX7, 5. Sio Bibble, 6. TC14, also from Epsisode I. Another very nice figure
5 R4-P17

Wow JJ, your list is almost what I was going to say, but I'll change a few for my better liking. I'll add

R2-R9
VOTC Chewy
VOTC Scout
R1-G4
Zuckuss
VOTC Stormy
FX-7
Saga R5-D4

TheDarthVader
11-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Turbo, why oh why R5-D4?

Turbowars
11-14-2006, 07:15 PM
Turbo, why oh why R5-D4?
What? Why? He's awesome!

Why Sio?

TheDarthVader
11-14-2006, 10:48 PM
R5 was awesome, but I can still find him. :)

Sio because many people missed him the first time around, he was short-packed, he was hard to find, and, finally, the sculpt and paint were very nice. Also, he would look great on a 30th anniversary card.

Turbowars
11-14-2006, 11:14 PM
I believe this has nothing to do with finding these on the pegs or not. We are picking 7 of the Greatest figures and Sio is far from. The only thing that makes him remotely desirable is that he was in the last wave of EP1, but you already knew that.

pegger
11-15-2006, 06:26 AM
I believe this has nothing to do with finding these on the pegs or not. We are picking 7 of the Greatest figures and Sio is far from. The only thing that makes him remotely desirable is that he was in the last wave of EP1, but you already knew that.

I agree with Turbo. Sio was "nice" certainly not a "greatest ever." While I would like to see another Sio - I'd rather a new sculpt (like in his Ep. 2 outfit).

Rogue II
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I saw R5-D4 on the peg this weekend. Seems like the WM ant Targets near me have been restocking Greatest Hits, the Jabba Wave, and the Tatooine Wave lately instead of the Endor/Naboo Wave.

Old Fossil
11-15-2006, 02:13 PM
I guess for me it's a matter of (a) what I would still buy if I saw it at retail and/or (2) what I think should be available.

1. Saga AT-AT Driver. (I buy these whenever I see 'em. Can't help it.
I mean, just LOOK at the incredible attention to detail on those guys!!!)
2. 501st Trooper from the Jedi Temple Assault Battle Pack.
3. VOTC Stormtrooper. (2 per case is adequate.)
4. R2-B1 -- not a straight reissue: use the R4-G9 mold. NO shiny dome.
5. Red Royal Guard. (Why they chose to reissue the blue one escapes me.)
6. VTSC Biker Scout. (1 per case is adequate.)
7. Clone Wars Saesee Tiin. (Would look great on the new cardback.)
8. R4-I9, or whatever the black Imperial R4 droid's designation is.

I would not buy #'s 5 or 7, but I know they'd move quickly at retail and some collectors & kids missed out on them. Troopers nearly always sell; droids do fairly well; Jedi move eventually. What we DON'T need are too many core character reissues. I like the way Hasbro's been handling Luke lately -- 1 per case assortment, like the Tatooine and Endor versions. Throw in 1 Luke or 1 Han or 1 Vader or 1 Anakin or 1 Obi-wan per case, and I wouldn't complain... too much.:p

jjreason
11-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Great choices - and I'd be ALL over a nice, new R2-B1 like you describe. I also liked your rationale. :thumbsup:

Tycho
11-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I think this has been discussed but there are a few reasons why people vote the way they do:

Couldn't find the figure before
Need these to army build / diorama fill-in
Want these on a 30th Anniversary cardback
The figure wasn't available single-carded before
The figure was just one of the best ones ever made and this person already has it

I think if the figure wasn't available as a single-card before, like Evolutions Anakin from AOTC, then it would be a cause for me to vote for it.

I hunt before the scalpers can get their hands on these figures at the retail stores (well when I have to go out hunting at all) so I find everything and haven't had trouble army building either.

I think it's smart if Hasbro keeps Luke and Han out there in some form, Vader too. They're Batman, Robin, and Joker for this line and are needed to start new collectors that wouldn't buy Lushros Dofine or Malakali as their first figures. That being said, there's very few versions of these characters that I could possibly want any more, and most of them are not action oriented if they were produced (such as Luke in the Medical Frigate, or a very Deluxe Han Carbonite or Bespin Torture). But I'm not going to vote for re-issues of those figures even though I do think VOTC Han and the oft-recycled CommTech Cantina Han are great figures, as is the Saga1 Hoth Han. But I don't need them, won't buy them, so why should I vote for them?

OK, there's something to be said for getting the figures to move by supporting the release of the main characters again and adding new collectors to our ranks. But that's strategy. I feel more comfortable voting with my dollars.

bigbarada
12-10-2006, 02:53 AM
I'm going to pick based on overall quality and availability. In other words, the best all-around figures that have only been released once or twice and really need to be released again.

In no particular order, just as they come to mind:

1. Saga TIE Fighter Pilot - unless Hasbro is planning to make an SA version soon, this is one of the best figures ever made! But it was only released twice and even then was very hard to find (I only saw about 3 or 4 on the shelves).

2. Ephant Mon - perfect on the very first try :thumbsup: even though he will never be released on a card again, according to Hasbro.

3. Amanaman - ditch the stupid Salacious Crumb and stick him on a regular card.

4. R1-G4 - another "got it right the first time" figure that has only seen one release.

5. FX-7 - so accurate he is more like a mini-prop than a toy.

6. VOTC Han - this figure is perfect in every way, and I kind of worry that rereleasing him will kind of diminish the "special-ness" of the figure; but he's one of the few original VOTC figures that hasn't been rereleased in some form. He was also one of the stars of the VOTC line, IMO.

7. Evolutions Vader - THE perfect Vader that really needs to be released on a regular card.

8. OTC Luke & Yoda Dagobah - actually I'm cheating a little bit because they are really sold as two figures, but you can't have one without the other and it's still my favorite version of Luke and the best Yoda face-sculpt I've seen.

mericen
12-11-2006, 11:31 PM
I would like to see more variety:

1. Wedge Antilles
2. Jar Jar Binks- Naboo Swamp
3. Ree Yees, but with corrected legs
4. Spacetrooper
5. Dexter Jettser
6. The Jedi temple library droids 2-pack
7. Lando Calrissian-VOTC
8. Gamorean Guard

DarkArtist