PDA

View Full Version : LEGO Ep 2 Slave 1

JediTricks
02-01-2002, 01:25 AM
heh heh, sounds like a ballgame score. But in fact, it's the first official image of the upcoming Episode II Lego Slave I - a total departure from that clunky ESB version they put out a while back. See pics: http://209.197.117.27/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=16&show_article=186

I don't know how to feel exactly, they definitely redeemed the Slave I for Lego after that first one (I consider the first Slave I to be a major disaster), but there seem to be many specialty pieces for major elements of design. Ultimately, this vehicle looks like the perfect melding of specialty pieces and classic pieces, and has a lot of opening flaps and a few hidden weapons. The cannons on this new Slave 1 are light years ahead of those silly little pea-shooters on the first slave 1, and the wings are definitely different, although I think Lego has them set up a bit wrong. The idea of a rotating cockpit is fascinating, I can't wait to see how they pull that off. Ultimately, I think this will be a somewhat unsatisfying build but a good finished toy.

InsaneJediGirl
02-01-2002, 10:49 AM
Orginally posted by JediTricks
Ultimately, I think this will be a somewhat unsatisfying build but a good finished toy.

I agree with you JediTricks.I dont know how the cockpit will rotate either..without destroying the rest of the Slave I.I think
I shall get this Lego,it would be interesting to put with my other Legos.Plus..I like the Jango Fett figure it comes with:D

LTBasker
02-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Wings are too small, pylons are too high up (or they're just too thin for that height), the body is too tall from the base, the base is eh, and the whole thing is too smooth and has too many specialty pieces, IMO. Boba would've looked better with the harry potter hair piece and well at least they took into consideration on Jango's blasters....they gave him revolvers. :D

LusiferSam
02-06-2002, 11:23 PM
I don't think the first Slave 1 was that bad, all be it small. But this one looks great. As for the rotating cockpit I have good ideas how Lego will do it. First is a mechanical that is hand operated, second is a gravity operated one like in the Lego B-wing. I also have to agree with LTBasker, there are far too many specialty pieces. The specialty pieces is what's sucking the life out of most Lego sets today.

JediTricks
02-07-2002, 03:31 AM
I believe the cockpit will be connected via technic rods to the wings, so when you rotate the wings into a position, you're also rotating the cockpit.

LTBasker
02-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Or they could be using the ol' smooth tile technique and making it to where you have to remove the hardly connected cockpit and move it yourself.

I also noticed the tail piece with the guns on it is too short, it should be longer than the base... :D

JediGoofy
02-08-2002, 05:57 AM
The rotating cockpit issue make me think to a question about the pilot position.

When the Slave 1 is flying in the "vertical" position (with the tail down) the pilot is front to the space. When the Slave 1 is flying in the "horizontal" position (taking off or landing down) I think he should be front to the space again (with his back to the tail, now in horizontal position). But in this case a simple rotation of the seat it is not enough, the pilot should also change the position on his seat, or the seat should rotate along two axis, because otherwise in the "horizontal" position he would face the tail!

Do you agree with me, or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Ciao,
JediGoofy

LTBasker
02-08-2002, 07:05 PM
Or if it's just removeable they can make it to where in kinda like an even elbow bend like: L and it would just be like knocking over the L so that the other end is sticking up. So if it's removeable then all you gotta is take it out, flip it around, and place it back in. Nothing real big, and you wouldn't have to remove the figures in the process.

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Most Slave 1 toys with rotating cockpits have the seats face the rear in horizontal "landing" position for easier egress. I think it's like this in the "behind the scenes" books as well. Of course, there's a much easier way to do this, like the non-rotating cockpit of the Action Fleet Slave 1, where the figure comes out and simply sits in the seat in the opposite position.

JediGoofy
02-09-2002, 04:00 AM
I agree with your solutions, jt and ltb, even if the seat facing the rear, in horizontal "landing" position, seems to contradict the movie when the Slave 1 takes off from Bespin landing platform in ESB (was Boba Fett flying backward? :confused: ).

I am wondering which is the Lego solution for their Ep2 Slave 1 rotating cockpit. But jt will tell us after Toy Fair. :D

Ciao,
JediGoofy

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 07:42 AM
I'm 99% confident about my post concerning Lego's design here, and Toy Fair doesn't even start till tomorrow. :D

I did some research in the "behind the scenes" books I have (Incredible Cross-Sections and SW Chronicles) and the pilot definitely faces backwards in horizontal "landed" position, along with the 2 passenger seats, which WERE beneath the main pilot's seat in ESB but are now behind it in Ep 2. It probably isn't hard for Fett to rush into the cockpit, jump into the seat, hit the 'take off' button and fly the ship straight up till he changes the attitude - and once he's done that, he's no longer facing backwards.

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Makes sense... but I still think it would be easier for LEGO to do a removeable cockpit piece, it'd be more fun cause they could add a "cargo hold" under it to store accessories and such.

JediTricks
02-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Slave 1 in the Cross-Sections book is pretty small inside, this set is nearly to scale with that. There appears to be enough room to build the small prison cells (they're just bunks under the main cockpit) and the rest is weaponry. It looks like there will be room for cargo in the lower "spine" on this Lego set, you can see another set of doors that isn't for the pop-out weapons.

LTBasker
02-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Yeah, but who wants their Jango to go floating out in space just for his little revolvers when Boba could just reach under the seat for'em?

JediTricks
02-10-2002, 09:47 AM
The pop-out weapons are near the center of the ship, they are small quad-cannons. I do hear that Jango is the quickest draw in the old west though. ;)

JediGoofy
02-28-2002, 07:47 AM
Hi JT,
now that you saw Jango Fett's Slave I at Toy Fair (my compliments for your reports and pictures) can you explain us how Lego managed the rotating cockpit issue?

Thanx! :)
JediGoofy

Lord Tenebrous
03-28-2002, 11:57 PM
Hmmm...the box has no explanation whatsoever. But it does appear from the pictures that there's a levelling swivel, so when it's landed, the cockpit is sitting (figures looking to front of ship), and when in flight mode, the figures are looking out of the window, rather than it being above their heads.

Oh, I don't know, I have no place to put it unboxed, so I'll just have to conclude that gravity's a major factor in the cockpit position. Although with that logic, the cockpit would be constantly moving with the pilot's actions.

I still have some unredeemed gift certificates, so I'll try to get another for "scientific analysis".

CooLJoE
04-23-2002, 06:17 PM
Personally I hate the new Slave I. The first Slave I that lego made (ESB version) was alot more to scale. The new one is bigger than the x-wing and the tie fighter. And Slave I should not be that big. It looks like it could rival the Falcon.

Sure it has the more scale interior and the rotating cockpit, but I choose scale over special features.

So my vote goes to the original Slave I Lego.

JediTricks
04-23-2002, 08:24 PM
CoolJoe, the original Slave 1 LEGO did is way out of scale, according to the pics in the SW Chronicles book. Slave I is supposed to be bigger than the main body of the Imperial Shuttle, nearly twice as big as the X-wing, and over half the size of the Millennium Falcon. It looks to me like this new Slave 1 is much closer to scale than the previous one.

Wolfwood319
04-23-2002, 08:28 PM
JT is right. The scale of the first was way too small (much like the Hasbro one, no) but this one is closer.

And Slave I should not be that big. It looks like it could rival the Falcon.

Uh, actually, it is that big. Much bigger than a fighter. It does somewhat rival the Falcon, as their both mid-size ships, not fighters, not cruisers.

Very few vehicles, whether they be LEGO or Hasbro are made to scale size. Just check out the incredible Ship cross-sections book by DK to see just how big or small some ships are.