PDA

View Full Version : "Sculpting a Galaxy" comes out today? Opinions?

markstudy
11-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Sculpting a Galaxy comes out today ( well I guess the soft-cover)

Whats the word?

Thanks

Jayspawn
11-14-2006, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the boards markstudy!

I ordered mine through Amazon and it should arrive anyday now. It was $31.50 with FREE shipping -no book store can beat that.

Anyways, I'm excited about the book. Looks like a great coffee table book and I cant wait for mine!

This should be in the book section though.

pbarnard
11-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I saw the extras included in the limited edition, but like the Dressing a galaxy, including swatches and replicas of originals makes it way outside my budget. The content of the books is something to behold though. It gives you apreciation for the art and detail needed to make a film (even the bad ones).

Jargo
11-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Christmas present list material. Or in my case birthday, 'cause 'that' day doesn't exist in my house.

And I suppose any books that gather together barrowloads of pics and designs from the LFL archives is good.

*edit: "is good". I most humbly apologise. ARE good. Are good.....*

Bel-Cam Jos
11-14-2006, 06:42 PM
I have a 10% + 10% off your ENTIRE ORDER coupon I have to use before December, and I expected to git this'n with it, plus a coupla others. I reckon I'll have ta head ta that there book sellin' place and pick 'er up!

Since I heard the ILM designer who wrote it (name escapes me right name, want to say Lauren somebody or something Lauren... :confused: ) at this year's Comic-Con, I should get it. Why? I dunno... :tired:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-19-2006, 09:08 AM
I picked up Lorne Peterson's book Sculpting a Galaxy. I owe a BSLOS for not knowing the guy's name. It looks cool. Found no soft cover version, however, but I just bought the "cheap" $50 one without the extra neato stuff. :greedy: I plan on perusing it over the next several weeks.

While these aren't true lyrics, but "commentary" during a song, that makes them even worse:
"This is the real deal, y'all...
I'm feelin' those lighters..."
- "Outside" by Staind, featuring Fred Durst :upset:

JediTricks
11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Don't you have to now give a BSLOS for mentioning Fred Durst? :p

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Don't you have to now give a BSLOS for mentioning Fred Durst? :pActually, if you look closely, JT, "freddurst" is an acronym for "bslos." Or "Dr. F. Rusted." :D Yeah, yeah, uh huh, F.D. is in the rest home, y'all. :tired:

BTW, should this thread be re-directed to the Comics/Books section now?

El Chuxter
11-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Probably.

If you need a Fred Durst-related BSLOS, remember that he and his cronies covered "Faith."

JediTricks
11-21-2006, 06:43 PM
"Dr F Rusted" gets you out of the doghouse. Thread moved

stillakid
01-11-2007, 01:53 PM
I ordered the Deluxe edition of Sculpting a Galaxy from Sideshow Collectibles months ago.

Late December I get an email notice that the book has shipped via FedEx.

First week of January I still hadn't received the package.

FedEx website tracking indicates that the package arrived at their sort facility on December 22.

A phone call to FedEx results in someone telling me that the package was scanned in when it came off the truck, but they can't tell me where it actually is. No delivery attempts were made, so the package must be in the building.

I visit the sort facility later that day. Two actually as I am given the run-around regarding which building the website was referring to. The computer indicates that the package was definitely scanned as being on the truck and then scanned coming off, but now the people back off and claim that they can't really confirm that it ever made it off the truck. :confused:

They initiate a "lost package" investigation which will take ten days after which they will call is "lost" and the sender (Sideshow) will take over.

I call Sideshow that same day and I am told confidently that in the event FedEx has lost it, they always hold back copies in case this happens.

Today...FedEx has called it "lost." I am to take the issue up with Sideshow.

I call Sideshow. The nice woman on the phone tells me that they will deal with FedEx and I can have a refund or another copy. I elect for the other copy.

I am called back when it turns out that the two (only two...limited edition) copies they had on standby were left out in the rain by someone so they are unsellable. I can have a full refund. Period. :mad:

So, the question is, what FedEx employee saw the name "SideShow Collectibles" on a really heavy insured box and took it off the back of the truck? What I can't believe is how nonchalant everyone is about this. It's a frickin' $400 book and it just "vanished" and nobody really cares. It's really unbelievable.

Second question, do I ever trust Sideshow enough to order from them again?

El Chuxter
01-11-2007, 02:05 PM
That really and truly sucks, man. I wouldn't blame Sideshow, though. This is totally FedEx's fault, and hopefully the package still might turn up, someone (or someones) will be canned, or both.

I'm not blaming any individuals, but I've worked off and on with shipping over the past several years at my current job. On the whole, UPS, FedEx, and the postal service suck. If everything goes as planned, wonderful. And 99% of the time, everything does go as planned. But that 1%... forget it. I've sent packages overnight by FedEx and been told that there's nothing they can do if they don't arrive on the promised date. I've seen more UPS packages lost to supposed train derailments that somehow never are mentioned in the news. I've had certified letters that take six weeks to go fifty miles, then suddenly are abandoned because the carrier supposedly (but really didn't) attempt to deliver them multiple times.

A few months ago, a friend sent my wife a package, and sent it to our old address by mistake. She insured it and had tracking and all that good stuff, and we were told it was delivered, and hadn't been returned to the post office. We had to drive 40 miles to the old house, only to be told by the old man (who seemed quite honest) that it hadn't been delivered. The post office told us there was nothing they could do, but the next day, it mysteriously appeared in the office. Why someone lied about it being delivered, I don't know.

Hell, last night, I got some baby furniture from Babies R Us delivered by UPS. They left a frigging 100 pound box on the doorstep! And the box was totally destroyed. (We're dealing with getting it replaced, as the furniture inside was indeed broken.)

Unfortunately, aside from getting a refund or replacement, you're typically SOL. It does seem odd that Sideshow only had two extra copies, which were both destroyed due to incompetence, though.

stillakid
01-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Sh**, I'm still f'ing giddy. :D

Mostly out of annoyance, I went ahead and order a new copy from Amazon and paid just a little extra for it to be delivered next day.

J.... F.... C...t, this is one of the most incredible Deluxe books I've ever seen. Seriously, if you have the $$$, I HIGHLY recommend getting the Deluxe.

First, it came in a gigantic huge box from Amazon. Inside that box was another big box. Inside that box was another box. Inside that box is the large redish book-box. It opens from the top (held together magnetically) and reveals a scale model of the Landspeeder with occupants as well as several recast pieces of the Death Star surface. The enclosed DVD and booklet explain the origins and purpose of both items as they were built and used in the film.

There are two books. The main larger book which I have only begun to browse and a smaller softcover that seems to deal mostly with the digital "models."

This will go VERY nicely with the Dressing a Galaxy that sits on my shelf along with the two Chronicles books and the ILM "Art of Special Effects."

Really, this is SO cool. I've got some work to do today, but I am looking very forward to sitting down with this tonight and taking it all in.

bobafrett
01-12-2007, 02:47 PM
Awesome, I wish I had the money to get it.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2007, 09:38 AM
I have been reading the non-deluxe book over the last few weeks; it's on a table, and when I have a few minutes, I get through some pages closer to the back cover. It's cool, and nice to have the perspective of a different type of creator (have heard director and actor and fan A LOT, just got the costumer a couple years back) for a change. But I'm content with my "crappy" simple $50 book, thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Rocketboy
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I got an email from DeepDiscount (http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=53504746&utm_campaign=sculptingagalaxy&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=10-10-08&utm_source=WhatCounts) and they have the Deluxe "Sculpting A Galaxy" for $149.99 (62% off)!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-16-2008, 07:22 PM
I noticed something about the Art of Ralph McQuarrie book (which looks WONDERFUL) is over $100, too. I just can't shell out that kind of dough for books, as much as I love 'em. Passed on Chronicles, the deluxe Sculpting editions, etc. :cry:

Blue2th
10-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I would love to have that deluxe Sculpting the Galaxy. Lots of cool extras.
Probably going to have to settle for the regular edition. Sideshow has them for $49 on the gift card list, and I have that gift card from the Crystal Skull DVD.

I would love to have that McQuarrie book. Is that the deluxe edition over $100 or the regular one?

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2008, 10:11 AM
There was a website I stumbled upon (don't know it, but I'm sure a search of "Ralph McQuarrie" and "art" "book" would turn up) that had some for sale (although it was tough to navigate, considering how basic it was, IIRC) and the price was something over $100 (I think it was actually closer to $150). I saw an eBay auction (international, I believe) recently for the Japanese language book from the Celebration there, and it's over $100 US once you include shipping. Not sure if they're the same book or not.

Why $o much? :$$: :greedy: