PDA

View Full Version : White Tie Fighter Anniversary Ship

TheDarthVader
11-14-2006, 07:16 PM
What the hell? This is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, Hasbro! That means that it has been 30 years since the first Star Wars. Well, it has been about 10 years since the out of scale POTF2 grey tie fighter made its debut. What are you guys thinking?! The way you are treating this 30th anniversary is, how do I put it, LACKING. This is an anniversary year, GO ALL OUT.

Why didn't Hasbro use the larger winged tie fighter mold? WHY? Someone please tell me why. I wanted a white tie to go with my blue and grey ties in the PROPER scale. Why did Hasbro have to make the white one off scale with the little baby wings? Please tell me. This one will look completely STUPID next to the other two now. Does anyone else feel this way?

Blue2th
11-14-2006, 07:25 PM
I agree. Somehow the old TIE looks stunted. I will never buy another one, no matter what color they make it. It's obsolete now that I've got the large panel versions.

dindae
11-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Total agreement.

Devo
11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
I've managed to miss both releases of the large scale winged TIE so I'm not yet totally and vehemently opposed to the small wing version. However I see no use for a white TIE fighter in my collection.

jedi master sal
11-14-2006, 11:33 PM
I'd pass on this whether it's large or small winged. I just can't see paying $40 or more again for this ship. It' needs to be closer to $30, while $25 would be very acceptable. Since that's not going to happen anytime soon, it's a no for me.

dindae
11-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Umm Sal, its going be in the midsize vehicle line so that means the $19.99 price point.

Rogue II
11-15-2006, 09:46 AM
Since I haven't bought a TIE Fighter up to this point, I may grab this one. The Vintage TIE and X-Wing I had as a kid are long gone. I have the POTF2 X-Wing that is based off the Vintage mold, so this TIE should fit right in.

Dark Marble
11-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I will pass on this one too. I have two of each of the big wing ties and would not object to adding two more white ties to my collection if the big wing versions come out down the road. The body is there and the wings are there, it is only a matter of time before they are put together.

kool-aid killer
11-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Right now, i plan on picking it up. Believe it or not, the wings arent factoring into that. I want another TIE and this ones color scheme is more appealing to TRUs recent exclusive TIE. But, like Marble already said, im sure that one day Hasbro will put the color on the larger wings, its probably just going to be a bit before it happens.

Jargo
11-15-2006, 03:40 PM
pice of carp. They go to the frackin trouble of creating the new mold for the wings and altering the rear of the cockpit bubble so it's more accurate and then go and re-release the stubby wings version again? jackasses. ooooh go on, see if you can squeeze a few more dollars out of the vintage molds. just keep on squeezing.

the 30th anniversary of really innaccurate scaling.

jjreason
11-15-2006, 03:43 PM
I have no large winged TIEs either, and no interest in buying another stunted one. Easy pass.

JediTricks
11-15-2006, 04:40 PM
What the hell? This is the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, Hasbro! That means that it has been 30 years since the first Star Wars. Well, it has been about 10 years since the out of scale POTF2 grey tie fighter made its debut. What are you guys thinking?! The way you are treating this 30th anniversary is, how do I put it, LACKING. This is an anniversary year, GO ALL OUT.

Why didn't Hasbro use the larger winged tie fighter mold? WHY? Someone please tell me why. I wanted a white tie to go with my blue and grey ties in the PROPER scale. Why did Hasbro have to make the white one off scale with the little baby wings? Please tell me. This one will look completely STUPID next to the other two now. Does anyone else feel this way?Consider this, it's been 29 years since this mold originally was released, this is the same mold as the 1978 TIE Fighter just with a myriad of changes, and why the wings aren't one of them, I don't know. I don't get why Hasbro thinks kids will want a white TIE Fighter - new cockpit hatch or not - and I especially don't get why Hasbro thinks kids will want a badly-out-of-scale, misshapen, chibi TIE Fighter. This thing seems like a recipe for not selling.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I think I might get it, but I'm afraid that you guys won't let me. :sur:

kool-aid killer
11-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Consider this, it's been 29 years since this mold originally was released, this is the same mold as the 1978 TIE Fighter just with a myriad of changes, and why the wings aren't one of them, I don't know. I don't get why Hasbro thinks kids will want a white TIE Fighter - new cockpit hatch or not - and I especially don't get why Hasbro thinks kids will want a badly-out-of-scale, misshapen, chibi TIE Fighter. This thing seems like a recipe for not selling.

Maybe Hasbro thought a TIE at $20 would appeal to kids (or actually their parents since they are probably the ones buying the toy) more than one at $45. Perhaps we could ask Hasbro that question (why one is released in proper scale, but the other isnt) in the next round of Q&A's.

Dark Marble
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
Perhaps we could ask Hasbro that question (why one is released in proper scale, but the other isnt) in the next round of Q&A's.

I was thinking the same thing kool-aid. I figure the answer would be the "ships at a $20 price point" pitch. I wonder if the bigger wing Tie could be released without the pilot in a smaller package for $30. I really don't see why it is $45 while the ARC-170 or Snowspeeder with pilot came out at $30. But what do I know?

JON9000
11-16-2006, 11:58 AM
not everybody can afford to drop $45 on a toy. $20 is a much better price point and therefore justifies the smaller panels. Also, it's in scale with the VINTAGE ship, so it's a nice throwback. GOOD WORK HASBRO!!! :pleased:

Jargo
11-16-2006, 02:15 PM
nothing justifies the small panels. if hasbro put the thing in a smaller box without a window panel and without a figure and not assembled they could ship out the larger winged tie for $30.

at this stage the larger wings are an older mold. there's no expense for tooling. the cockpit bubble is an older mold. no cost for tooling. so the only tooling cost is the new cockpit hatch. woo.

to have made a far superior version of a product and then continue shipping out the inferior is just insane. No kid is going to be taken in by this stubby TIE unless they're really dumb or window lickers. There is no reason to use this old stubby wings version. even at a celebration point like the 30th anniversary. if that were sense then the VOTC figures would have been molded like vintage figures which would just suck. and so this version of the rubbish stubby winged TIE sucks.

I feel the same about the vintage x-wing too. and the Falcon. the x-wing has been superceded and the falcon needs a brand new sculpt. no excuses and no spin. this is the 21st century and we as consumers deserve better value for our money.

JediTricks
11-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Maybe Hasbro thought a TIE at $20 would appeal to kids (or actually their parents since they are probably the ones buying the toy) more than one at $45. Perhaps we could ask Hasbro that question (why one is released in proper scale, but the other isnt) in the next round of Q&A's.Bah, the thing barely looks like a TIE Fighter, at this point no kid is going to give a crap about a TIE Fighter and any who do are going to want more accuracy than this. Plus, what kid is going to care that it's white like in ANH to commemorate the 30th anniversary? I doubt any at all.

I still don't see how they think that thing is worth $45 after it was out at $40 only a year before, and I don't see how they thought it was worth $40 except in terms of the amount of space it took up on shelves, which it did.

Anyway, about the question, you post it, I'll add it.

not everybody can afford to drop $45 on a toy. $20 is a much better price point and therefore justifies the smaller panels. Also, it's in scale with the VINTAGE ship, so it's a nice throwback. GOOD WORK HASBRO!!! :pleased:IT IS THE VINTAGE SHIP! Just because Joan Rivers gets tons of plastic surgery every year doesn't mean she's someone else. It's the same stupid 1978 Kenner mold just with some retooling along the way. It's a piece of crap and needs to be retired along with that goofy-looking 1978 X-wing, both of which were designed on early Lucasfilm prototypes since the finished models weren't ready at the time Kenner needed to get started.

nothing justifies the small panels. if hasbro put the thing in a smaller box without a window panel and without a figure and not assembled they could ship out the larger winged tie for $30.This is completely true, look at the ARC-170, that box could accomodate the larger TIE's removed panels easily and it's a $30 box. Hell, Hasbro could redesign the larger panels to assemble in halves and it'd fit in a $20 box.

at this stage the larger wings are an older mold. there's no expense for tooling. the cockpit bubble is an older mold. no cost for tooling. so the only tooling cost is the new cockpit hatch. woo.And the stupid new hatch that doesn't even look right - who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the hatch open from the SIDE?!? Bean-counters who didn't want to change the cockpit mold's current inaccurate hinge points, so instead they make a more accurate-looking hatch but they force it to fit within the old mold's parameters instead of just making it right. They're spinning their wheels trying to keep this old tooling going so they can milk it for profit again and again, older molds cost a lot to keep going so they could have dropped it altogether and just done a new one from scratch, but they want to suck the blood out of their mold purchases until they're dried up old husks.

to have made a far superior version of a product and then continue shipping out the inferior is just insane. No kid is going to be taken in by this stubby TIE unless they're really dumb or window lickers. There is no reason to use this old stubby wings version. even at a celebration point like the 30th anniversary. if that were sense then the VOTC figures would have been molded like vintage figures which would just suck. and so this version of the rubbish stubby winged TIE sucks.Great point, although I don't get the "window licker" comment.

I feel the same about the vintage x-wing too. and the Falcon. the x-wing has been superceded and the falcon needs a brand new sculpt. no excuses and no spin. this is the 21st century and we as consumers deserve better value for our money.Hells yeah! Look at all the products out there better than the Kenner Falcon, that thing is a lot of empty, unusable space and its inside is ugly as sin and it can't even fit the figures.

TheDarthVader
11-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Good point JT. Who in the world decided to have the cockpit open from side to side? What a dumb idea! The wings, for me, is the main concern. You can't give us two awesome tie fighters and then come back with a white one that is inferior. This is a really messed up release on Hasbro's part.

What it reminds me of is Hasbro putting that dirty paint on those ANH stomtroopers that are in that new battle pack. UUUUGH! Those stormtroopers are fugly. They have the mold and paint for the VOTC stomies available so Hasbro /b]should have[/b] made more VOTC stormies for the pack.

If the wings had been in scale, I would have purchased TWO of these.

JON9000
11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Hells yeah! Look at all the products out there better than the Kenner Falcon, that thing is a lot of empty, unusable space and its inside is ugly as sin and it can't even fit the figures.

I was so super-jazzed about the light up engines I was willing to cut Hasbro a lot of slack on the Falcon. I think the engines are probably the single coolest feature upgrade in the line.

we will *never* get a true to scale Falcon because the cost is prohibitive and it is really a monster ship. And as long as any Falcon is not true to scale there will be complaints.

As for the white wings... if you have a correctly colored and scaled TIE in the market right now why is everyone so grouchy about an incorrectly colored tie having an incorrect scale? Just buy the one you want.

dindae
11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
TDV they did state that they are correcting the stormtroopers in the Tantive battlepack.

JediTricks
11-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I was so super-jazzed about the light up engines I was willing to cut Hasbro a lot of slack on the Falcon. I think the engines are probably the single coolest feature upgrade in the line.Yes, the engine blast thing is great, but the ship around it is less-so. They could have put that engine design on a new mold and it'd still be great, and it wouldn't suffer such an ugly interior.

we will *never* get a true to scale Falcon because the cost is prohibitive and it is really a monster ship. And as long as any Falcon is not true to scale there will be complaints.Nobody is talking about a to-scale Falcon right now, just a BETTER toy version.

TDV they did state that they are correcting the stormtroopers in the Tantive battlepack.Yeah, but they're still using the Evolutions mold that has no mid-torso articulation.

dindae
11-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, but they're still using the Evolutions mold that has no mid-torso articulation.

Meh, I don't mind the sculpt, but the dirt paint would have reduced them to what it appeared they were covered in.

As far as the Falcon goes, I would love a bigger version that allowed 4 figures in the cockpit and more detail on the inside. I don't think I will see that but I will hold out hope that I will eventually be able to get 2 figures comfortably into the cockpit.

JON9000
11-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes, the engine blast thing is great, but the ship around it is less-so. They could have put that engine design on a new mold and it'd still be great, and it wouldn't suffer such an ugly interior.

Yeah, there's always room for a little more improvement, I guess. But I doubt you'll see hasbro doing anything else because the current falcon is very popular (check the ebay closing prices, I was shocked).

Yeah, but they're still using the Evolutions mold that has no mid-torso articulation.

Well, I know you prefer the Commtech to the VOTC stormie because of scaling issues, but is the Sandy version still as small, or is it closer to the VOTC with better articulation? Either way, get rid of the dirt, and I'll be all over this like dirt on a sandtrooper.

Besides, they can't practically give away VOTC figs in a battlepack, because it might undermine the desire *AHEM* some people have to army build with $10 figures. :greedy:

Rogue II
11-16-2006, 04:54 PM
What it reminds me of is Hasbro putting that dirty paint on those ANH stomtroopers that are in that new battle pack. UUUUGH! Those stormtroopers are fugly. They have the mold and paint for the VOTC stomies available so Hasbro /b]should have[/b] made more VOTC stormies for the pack.

In one of the other sites Q&A, Hasbro said that that was an error. The stormtroopers won't be dirty.

Hasbro is probably going after idiots like me that sort of like the nostalgic value. Although, I understand why everyone doesn't like this release. Even on clearance at Target, $30 seemed too much for the TIE with larger wings.

If it can handle the figure, I'm wondering if this mold would be better suited for the Galactic Hero's line.

Jargo
11-16-2006, 04:59 PM
*Feels weak and trembly because JT agreed again*

Slicker
11-16-2006, 06:30 PM
They probably found a warehouse full of old TIE parts.

I'll buy one though...

JediTricks
11-17-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah, there's always room for a little more improvement, I guess. But I doubt you'll see hasbro doing anything else because the current falcon is very popular (check the ebay closing prices, I was shocked).Weird since the TRU one last year didn't sell all that great and was the same mold. Anyway, I'm not talking about "a little more improvement", the mold is seriously lacking... lacking an interior, specifically. :p The inside just isn't very good, it makes poor use of available space, it's ugly as sin (the inside of the cavity is largely undeveloped even in the figure areas, this is not something that is done nowadays), and can barely fit any figures.

Well, I know you prefer the Commtech to the VOTC stormie because of scaling issues, but is the Sandy version still as small, or is it closer to the VOTC with better articulation? Either way, get rid of the dirt, and I'll be all over this like dirt on a sandtrooper.Actually, I've revisited my position on the issue after comparing CTC to VOTC Stormtroopers, they're the same size actually, the VOTC figure is just a tiny bit slimmer but so neutrally posed it makes him seem even smaller. The VOTC Stormtrooper has the superior look but can't take too many poses due to very stiff posing, but I now consider it the superior figure (although not the end-all, be-all version). Anyway, I believe the Evo Sandtrooper is the same height as the VOTC Stormie and actually based on its body mold with changes to the neck area and obviously the torso.

Besides, they can't practically give away VOTC figs in a battlepack, because it might undermine the desire *AHEM* some people have to army build with $10 figures. :greedy:They sold the VOTC body as a basic this very year, if you don't mind the slight orange the TSC Sandtrooper is perfect for that. The excuse doesn't hold up, plus they either had to retool the Evo Sandie's head or they're making extra parts and paint apps by using the Evo Sandie over the VOTC Stormie, so fiduciary reasons are questionable. :p They wouldn't answer WHY they're using that mold in the question I asked them this week, so I can only speculate.

In one of the other sites Q&A, Hasbro said that that was an error. The stormtroopers won't be dirty.They reconfirmed it today with our own question, but sidestepped the issue of WHY they were using that mold.

Hasbro is probably going after idiots like me that sort of like the nostalgic value. Although, I understand why everyone doesn't like this release. Even on clearance at Target, $30 seemed too much for the TIE with larger wings.At $30, it wasn't too much, that ship is beautiful with the larger wings and the box is a great presentation.

If it can handle the figure, I'm wondering if this mold would be better suited for the Galactic Hero's line.Heh heh, it can handle it like a marble can be held by a bathtub ;) but you have a funny idea there nonetheless.

JON9000
11-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Weird since the TRU one last year didn't sell all that great and was the same mold.

Seriously. I suppose that's how it works... if only 20,000 people want a Falcon, well, it might sit on the shelves. But if it isn't on the shelves, look out on ebay!!

DarkArtist
11-19-2006, 11:55 AM
makes me wonder if Hasbro is going to re-release the POTF X-Wing mold as well. afterall since we got yet another re-release of the vader TIE perhaps we will see yet again the x-wing. I also wouldn't be surprised if we got another release of the Falcon as well.

My thing is if they are going to be re-releasing older items I would love to see Hasbro re-issue the speeder bikes but use the original Kenner Tan Color.

JON9000
11-19-2006, 07:23 PM
I also wouldn't be surprised if we got another release of the Falcon as well.

I can almost guarantee it. I just sold my POTF2 Falcon on ebay for $152. The demand is there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-19-2006, 07:42 PM
As far as a re-release of the 1978 X-wing, I wouldn't rule it out. They did it in 2004 for the OTC, after they already had the 1998 Power F/X one which they later converted into the Dagobah one in 2002 and the Red Leader one in 2003 (and Dagobah again this year). Even though it's small and ugly, I got it since I missed out on it in 1995.

I wonder how far they're going to go with vehicle re-releases next year? They announced that the Sith Infiltrator and V-wing will be the only all-new ones, and we already know about the repaints of the Vader's Sith Starfighter, AAT, and Hailfire Droid. They went pretty much all-out on repaints, repacks and retools on vehicles this year, but I think they'll likely redo more next year (here's hoping for a damn B-wing finally).

DarkArtist
11-20-2006, 07:43 AM
other vehicle re-releases may be Luke's Landspeeder, after all it is one of the iconic vehicles from ANH, the Y-Wing, another ship that fans want, even better if they would give us an empty droid socket with it. I'm guessing we will see perhaps speeder bikes again since they are a small vehicle and would sell. This would also be a good time to re-release both the TIE Interceptor and Bomber again.

As far as figures goes, I guessing a ton of repacked Luke, Han and Leia's and of course Vader.

JediTricks
11-20-2006, 06:22 PM
My thing is if they are going to be re-releasing older items I would love to see Hasbro re-issue the speeder bikes but use the original Kenner Tan Color.Oh man, no way, that mold is on its last legs, did you ever check out the version in the POTJ Imperial AT-ST & Speederbike set? There's only one word for that thing - dilapidated. It's in extremely sorry shape, parts popping off, material tolerances no longer accurate, nothing on it works right, it needs to be put in a museum.

DarkArtist
11-21-2006, 07:20 AM
Oh man, no way, that mold is on its last legs, did you ever check out the version in the POTJ Imperial AT-ST & Speederbike set? There's only one word for that thing - dilapidated. It's in extremely sorry shape, parts popping off, material tolerances no longer accurate, nothing on it works right, it needs to be put in a museum.

No No No, I am just refering to the color used on the Kenner version that light tan color. As far as the actual mold, no way perhaps the most recent version of the bikes but just using the tan color as a throw back to nostaglia.

Jargo
11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
yes. a better speederbike is need. one where the troopers feet actually reach the pedals. In fact alterations to it so it's a one piece structure rather than a three piece glued together would help. and a clear stand so it hovers rather than stands and droops on a flat surface. and painted rather than molded in one or two colours of plastic.

Why go to the trouble of making an SA scout tropper and then all it has is a bike that's still in essense the cruddy vintage mold. but made with cheaper flimsier materials.

the AT-ST needs redoing too. the POTJ release was like jello. just sort of folded up on itself and warped all over the place. That was one item i sent to the garbage dump. total wste of money.

Lobito
11-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Whats the idea of making the tie white...? Are they repainting the toys they had in the factories, or are thy producing them again using the same mold... We are reaching a point on which they'll make 10 x-wings, 10 Ties, 5 At At's, 5 Imperial Shuttles, etc., ridiculous, since Hasbro took over the list of unreleased figures diminished a 50% of chances to get produced. Its been a while since i wrote in the forums, so if i had spelling mistakes...blah sorry!! Hello again to all.:thumbsup:

Jargo
11-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Good to see you Lobito. :)