PDA

View Full Version : Stuck it to a scalper today....

tagmac
11-15-2006, 07:02 PM
At my comic shop. This was a guy who unfortunately remembered me from when I used to buy off a flea market dealer (who recently got out of the figure business) several years back. Not a young guy either - gotta be at least in his late 40's. I'm ashamed to admit that I used to be firendly to this guy, even though I knew he was a scalpr, and once bought an AOTC Clone Pilot off the guy for retail price (likely because he had so many, he couldn't sell them). the bum must have no life, cuz his entire trunk was filled with HTF figures from SW, McFarlane, and others.

When the ROTS 2-packs came out last year, I ran into this guy in TRU in the SW section. This guy pretended act friendly to me, asking if I was still collecting, right before proceeding to grab every 2-pack with the 501st Clone in it. I was so furious, I walked out, wishing I'd asked the guy if he was "still scalping."

Last week, I see this guy is now selling the figs to my comic book shop, which now explians where the figs are going since the two flea market dealers are long out of the business. I ignored the guy last week, and when he tried to wave to me in the parking lot, I pretended I didn't see him. Well, today, as i'm going into the store, I see this idiot parked illegally, getting out of his car by the entrance, and I tried to ignore him. He yells out "hey, you still interested in star wars," and I completely blew him of, giving him a nasty "I'm not interested" while never stopping 'til I got in the store. Needless to say, I was extremely PO'd, wishing I could have told him off about how he's screwing little kids and true collectors out of figs, but it wasn't worth belaboring it. I'm just glad to not be lining this guy's pockets myself, but it's frustrating to know he's still out there screwing the rest of us out of figs just to make a fast buck while supplying comic shops. I'll never buy anything but comics from this store as a result now.

El Chuxter
11-15-2006, 07:04 PM
You called the cops on his illegal parking, right?

tagmac
11-15-2006, 07:09 PM
LOL...probably should have, but he'd have likely been gone by the time they got there, and no way was I wasting time at that place once I saw there were no SW comics in this week.

Darth Jax
11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
LOL...probably should have, but he'd have likely been gone by the time they got there, and no way was I wasting time at that place once I saw there were no SW comics in this week.

subscribe to TFAW's newsletter. you'll get email updates with what's new in the world of comics. i almost never buy anything from them (though every blue moon they do have great sales), but i rarely miss a release date anymore.

jedi master sal
11-16-2006, 11:56 AM
So in what way did you stick it to this guy? You just blew him off? Meh...I was hoping you called the cops on his illegal parking. Hell you could have talked to him then for a few minutes until the police arrived...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-16-2006, 01:13 PM
So in what way did you stick it to this guy? You just blew him off? Meh...I was hoping you called the cops on his illegal parking. Hell you could have talked to him then for a few minutes until the police arrived...

I'm curious about that too! I've told Scalpers they were "Abhorrent pieces of Sh** who would rot in Hell" and said stuff to them. My buddy and i even showed fake interest in a peg warmer figure from the AOTC line only to turn a corner, sneak a peek and see the scalpher buy every last one he could find on the pegs: I think it was Jango Fett pilot. hehehehehe :thumbsup:

Next time, don't be afraid to mouth off, release your anger! It gives you focus! Makes you stronger! :crazed:

El Chuxter
11-16-2006, 02:11 PM
My friends and I have done that to people who ask which ones will be valuable, if they seem like jerks. "You definitely want to get Lushros Dofine. I'm surprised no one's picked them all up yet. If I had enough money, I'd buy all of them myself!"

Of course, if they're nice, or grandmothers, or cute girls, I tell them the truth: ain't none of this going to be worth more, ever.

dindae
11-16-2006, 03:09 PM
ain't none of this going to be worth more, ever.

WHAT?!? You mean the Freeze Frame Weequay I paid $500 for and the Luke Theater edition I paid $80 for have doubled or tripled in price yet? :upset: :upset: :upset:

Seriously though I just sold my carded figures to Brians Toys simply because they were willing to take the whole ball of wax. I got $2800 for everything from POTF2 to POTC. I know I could have gotten more but I didn't want to screw with it.

As far as scalper go there aren't many out here like in some areas. The only figure I bought from a "scalper" was at a dinky little con and the figure was the tan vested Jedi Luke and I paid $35 which I didn't want to pay but he came down from $50. Since I decided to open all my figures I had held off on opening this one since I had paid so much for it. Then I found one a a garage sale for $2 to open. Eventually I will trade or sell the other.

Old Fossil
11-17-2006, 12:40 PM
Hard times for scalpers these days, hard times...

...good riddance!

Jayspawn
11-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Dont think you really stuck it to him tagmac. He probably just thought you were in a bad mood.

When you talk to him next, ask him how he feels about scalpers. Great way to stick it to him with the start of a friendly conversation.

jedi master sal
11-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Okay here's sticking it to a scalper:

So we all know the Mace Windu Battle packs has been slowly trickling in. I knew a fe weeks ago the street date in my local area was the 19th (Sunday). Works for me since I'm off. So I, along with my fiancee, tread down to one of two planned Target stops for the morning.

There's a crapload of people there and man I started getting frustrated, but then quickly realized they were there for the Nintend Wii. Whew!
So I'm the actual first customer there (not for the Wii). They open the doors and I'm off to find Mace and the grape clones. We get to the isle and no packs. Hmmm, so I ask one of the employees and gave him the number to check on.

So (and this is were it gets good), these three Hot Wheels guys show up. Mind you if I had been a scalper I could have easily snagged what they were looking for because I was a good 3 minutes ahead of them. And we all know that's a lifetime for when the store opens. Anyways, those guys a guffawing at the same stuff on pegs, then I here not one but two of them exclaimed they foudn the variant, and one specifically state he was going to go home and put it up on eBay. So I pegged them for scalpers or at least the one. I'm still waiting for the stock boy to come back. Two of the HW guys leave, but the third ambles over to SW (and Aisle over). He asks me whats "new and exciting" in SW. I immediately recognize that this was the scalpers voice, so I play the game.

I responded to him by saying, "Nothing and if there was I can't tell YOU" (emphasis on the you)
He says "Can't or won't?"
I said, "Take your pick."
He grumbles something (sounds like arsehole but the "real" word)
So I say to him, "Look bub (yeah I called him bub), you've got your thing, I've got mine, so go away." And you know what? He did. Once again calling me a name. Heh heh. I loved it because had he been there not 10 seconds later he would have seen what I was waiting for, a minty fresh Mace Windu Battel pack. The stockboy only pulled one for me, and I asked for more. he said they onnly had three left, and I said I'd take them. (It's their policy to sell to the first customer who wants an item howeve many that customer asks for) Only thing disheartening about this was I know Battle Packs come in a case of 6, so they either sold two or the stock people were keeping some back for themselves.

No matter, I got my booty and ****ed off a scalper at the same time. All was good. (It got even better as I scored anoterh 4 packs at the other Target I went to) Could have had all 6 from that case as it was "fresh," but I didn't want to be greedy and kindly put those remaining two on the shelf for the lady who brought them out to me.

BTW, that "commander" in the set is freakin' sweet!!! Just about the best fig Hasbro has ever put out. I'd really be nitpicking if I said anything bad about it, so I won't. GREAT JOB HASBRO!!!

-Sal

Darth Cruel
11-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I am currently attempting to perpetrate the ULTIMATE undermining of scalpers. I will fill in more detail as I progress.

Tenric78
11-21-2006, 05:07 PM
At my comic shop. This was a guy who unfortunately remembered me from when I used to buy off a flea market dealer (who recently got out of the figure business) several years back. Not a young guy either - gotta be at least in his late 40's. I'm ashamed to admit that I used to be firendly to this guy, even though I knew he was a scalpr, and once bought an AOTC Clone Pilot off the guy for retail price (likely because he had so many, he couldn't sell them). the bum must have no life, cuz his entire trunk was filled with HTF figures from SW, McFarlane, and others.

When the ROTS 2-packs came out last year, I ran into this guy in TRU in the SW section. This guy pretended act friendly to me, asking if I was still collecting, right before proceeding to grab every 2-pack with the 501st Clone in it. I was so furious, I walked out, wishing I'd asked the guy if he was "still scalping."

Last week, I see this guy is now selling the figs to my comic book shop, which now explians where the figs are going since the two flea market dealers are long out of the business. I ignored the guy last week, and when he tried to wave to me in the parking lot, I pretended I didn't see him. Well, today, as i'm going into the store, I see this idiot parked illegally, getting out of his car by the entrance, and I tried to ignore him. He yells out "hey, you still interested in star wars," and I completely blew him of, giving him a nasty "I'm not interested" while never stopping 'til I got in the store. Needless to say, I was extremely PO'd, wishing I could have told him off about how he's screwing little kids and true collectors out of figs, but it wasn't worth belaboring it. I'm just glad to not be lining this guy's pockets myself, but it's frustrating to know he's still out there screwing the rest of us out of figs just to make a fast buck while supplying comic shops. I'll never buy anything but comics from this store as a result now.

Are you always this passive agressive?

Tycho
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
WWDBD?

"What Would Darth Bane Do?"

I've been reading Path of Destruction as a religious text and I think I'm going to become a Born Again Sith.

So WWDBD?

He'd first kick out both the scalpers knee caps so he'd be in pain but imobilized.

He'd then receive the Battle Packs you'd been waiting for in order to humiliate and crush the spirit of the scalper.

Next he'd ignite his lightsaber and cut off the scalpers' hands. Then he'd offer a Battle Pack to the scalper, who of course would not be able to hold it with no hands.

Then he'd take the severerd hands off the floor and gag the scalper with his own meaty paws.

While the scalper was panicked and trying desperately to breathe, Darth Bane would raise him off the floor with the Force and suspend him there above the toy isle until the life was ebbing out of him. Then, just as he was about to die from asphyxiation, he'd release his Force grip on him so he'd crash back down to the floor, reigniting more pain from his broken knee caps.

The air would be attempting to rush back into his lungs while at the same time, the scalper was trying to painfully exert a scream!

Finally, Bane would either slice his head off with his lightsaber and mount it on the Hot Wheels pegs, or run him through the chest and splay his body out on the Pirates of the Caribbean collection.

That would be how a Sith might stick it to a scalper!

pbarnard
11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
WWDBD?

I've been reading Path of Destruction as a religious text and I think I'm going to become a Born Again Sith.

So WWDBD?

He'd first kick out both the scalpers knee caps so he'd be in pain but imobilized.

He'd then receive the Battle Packs you'd been waiting for in order to humiliate and crush the spirit of the scalper.

Next he'd ignite his lightsaber and cut off the scalpers' hands. Then he'd offer a Battle Pack to the scalper, who of course would not be able to hold it with no hands.

Then he'd take the severerd hands off the floor and gag the scalper with his own meaty paws.

While the scalper was panicked and trying desperately to breathe, Darth Bane would raise him off the floor with the Force and suspend him there above the toy isle until the life was ebbing out of him. Then, just as he was about to die from asphyxiation, he'd release his Force grip on him so he'd crash back down to the floor, reigniting more pain from his broken knee caps.

The air would be attempting to rush back into his lungs while at the same time, the scalper was trying to painfully exert a scream!

Finally, Bane would either slice his head off with his lightsaber and mount it on the Hot Wheels pegs, or run him through the chest and splay his body out on the Pirates of the Caribbean collection.

Sure, if you're a blantantly obvious. A Sith like Sidious/Palpy would have some unwilling patsy, say, an inarticulate backwatered worlds village idiot who speaks like a bad racial joke call the police, make up a false report and wait as the scalper is raped in prison and try than try to figure out how to get into the pants of your aides much hotter girl.

El Chuxter
11-22-2006, 11:05 AM
Tycho, sometimes you scare me. :p

Darth Cruel
11-22-2006, 02:33 PM
WWDBD?

So WWDBD?

C'mon now, Tycho. Isn't this just a little too saw-it-on-TV/read-it-in-a-book? I bet you have a better imagination than this. WWTD(what would Tycho do)?

Tycho
11-22-2006, 02:51 PM
What Would Tycho Do? (WWTD?)

Hehe. I'll have to think about that. But I have a great story from my past I'll relate in this thread soon I think.

DarkArtist
11-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Wow Tycho, that was brutal. I myself would just give hime the merchandise and as he was walking up to the register to pay for it zap him with a fury of Sith Lighting and watch his body wiggle from the pain. Then I would walk over to the crispy remains, throw him a peg-warming crispy Anakin figure and say

"Wow, look, it's that new scalper action figure everybody's been talkin' about." Too bad they never made a charred Beru and Owen set, that would really work at that moment.:laugh: :laugh: