PDA

View Full Version : The American President

Tycho
11-16-2006, 03:42 AM
Michael Douglas plays the President along with an all-star cast that includes Martin Sheen as the White House Chief of Staff and Michael J. Fox as his media relations expert. Look for Spider-Man's Aunt May as the President's secretary.

Meanwhile, a liberal Democratic President who's widowed, faces a strong Republican challenge from a rival in the Senate while he tries dating again with Annette Bening, who plays a lobbyist for an Environmental Action Group trying to get the United States to confront the global warming crisis by mandating that US auto manufacturers reduce the emissions from new cars by 20%. The conflict lies in that the President wants to also pass gun control legislation as part of his anti-crime measures and members of Congress will trade votes between one act or the other, but not both. It's a very realistic look inside Washington, as everyone is trying to get re-elected.

The Republicans are portraying the President as anti-family values for having his lobbyist girlfriend spend the night while he's a single father raising a daughter by himself. *sigh* Meanwhile, they're pursuing her alledging that she's a wh()re and digging up the dirt on her that 13 years prior she was at a protest right behind those burning an American flag.

The President ultimately makes an impassioned speech about the freedoms garaunteed by the Constitution including the right to peacefully protest and that the protestor is the symbol of American freedom, not the flag they are burning. It's a point of view I'd long forgotten to consider.

Meanwhile, the drama goes on with a subtle sense of humor, but if you love political intrigue, like The West Wing, then this movie's for you. I am glad I rented this one and I now intend to buy myself a copy as I'll surely want to watch it again sometime.

Darth Jax
11-16-2006, 07:18 AM
just stay off dupont circle when you go to buy it or you'll be stuck.

JimJamBonds
11-16-2006, 08:33 AM
What can I say I'm a sucker and watch this movie everytime I see that its on. Once again good call!