PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I just don't undestand eBay bidders

Darth Cruel
11-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Now...I am USUALLY a non-judgemental person.

And I am certain that this person has a good reason for paying $9,000.00 for a Playstation 3. A game console that will be easily available about January 20th for the normal $600.00 rediculous price tag (which is why I am staying with my PS2).

If it was for my kid for Christmas...I would give an IOU saying: "Sorry (child's name here), but I just refuse to pay the scalpers $9,000.00 for the PS3. You will be getting it late...but at a time when I won't feel like the biggest idiot in the world for paying an exorbitant amount for it. Love, Daddy Clause."

And here is something more to think about. This auction WAS up to $10,100.00. It appears that some of the bids were cancelled for whatever reason.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Playstation-3-PS3-System-60GB-Premium-Presale_W0QQitemZ130047198895QQihZ003QQcategoryZ62 054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

JimJamBonds
11-17-2006, 11:14 AM
I saw a blurb on CNN that there was a shooting at a Wal Mart with people waiting to get PS3... not sure if it was fatal.

Slicker
11-17-2006, 03:21 PM
I read about that too JJB. Apparenlty a couple of people were robbing the PS3 line and one person wouldn't give up the loot and they shot him/her.

As for the eBay bidding, that's there fault. These things'll be down to $300 by next Christmas. If Little Jimmy wants it that much make him get a damn job.

LTBasker
11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Some wonderful human-race inspiring incidents regarding this $600 chunk of plastic and metal, from wikipedia:

* Customer shot while waiting outside a Connecticut Walmart. (ABCNews.com)

* Three PS3 campers robbed at gunpoint outside Springfield, OR Circuit City. (KMTR.com Oregon)

* Two gunmen rob a GameStop store in Elk Grove, CA, steal several PS3's. (CBS13.com Sacramento, CA)

* Several customers shot with BB guns while waiting outside a Central Kentucky Best Buy. (WKYT.com Kentucky)

* Police temporarily shut down a Palmdale, CA Wal-Mart after some customers got unruly. (Dailynews.com

* Man arrested after fight breaks out at Ottawa store. (CBC.CA Canada)

* A dentist in Columbus, GA hired 60 temp workers to wait inline for 15 systems for his grandchildren. He later ditches plan after complaints from other customers. (Ledger-Enquirer)

* One customer quits job to wait in line. Another postpones buying engagement ring for his girlfriend in order to afford PS3. (TGDaily.com)

* Pregnant mother ignores contractions while camping outside a Secaucus, NJ Best Buy. (NJ.com)

JON9000
11-17-2006, 04:30 PM
some fake buyer jacked up all the auctions to $15,000 as a joke.

Slicker
11-17-2006, 04:41 PM
This is utterly pathetic.

CaptainSolo1138
11-17-2006, 08:29 PM
From thelastboss.com (www.thelastboss.com):

An inside source has tipped TheLastBoss that the retail chain FYE will only be getting 1100 PS3 systems for all of their 2200+ stores. Are you one of the 15,000+ people who preordered from FYE? I'd suggest doing the math, but you might went to stick that pencil in between your gritting teeth instead. The PS3 continues to look worse and worse as launch day approaches - if you think this news is bad then thank the gaming gods you don't live in Taiwan, which will only receive 500 PS3s for the entire country on launch day.

You stay classy, FYE!

Kidhuman
11-17-2006, 08:47 PM
What morons, I cant believe people were actually waiting inline for this thing for 3 days.

Jargo
11-17-2006, 09:09 PM
well they better not get in my way when i want to get through to tickle me elmo.......

CaptainSolo1138
11-17-2006, 10:43 PM
well they better not get in my way when i want to get through to tickle me elmo.......
We can hold hands and skip past them, until we part ways so I can get my paws on one of them new Cabbage Patch Kids.

Slicker
11-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I swear they do this on purpose.

Why on earth wouldn't they produce 1,000,000 PS3's for the states ALONE?

I think Sony is selling these on eBay for the $5,000 prices and pocketing the profits. It's all a ploy.

LTBasker
11-18-2006, 12:48 PM
If they were it would actually show a bit of intelligence on their part. The PS3 costs them about $800 to make, and yet the premiums cost $600. From how fast they sold you would think Sony is laughing all the way to the bank when really they're going to be waiting a very long time to make a profit from the PS3 consoles.

Darth Cruel
11-18-2006, 01:24 PM
If they were it would actually show a bit of intelligence on their part. The PS3 costs them about $800 to make, and yet the premiums cost $600. From how fast they sold you would think Sony is laughing all the way to the bank when really they're going to be waiting a very long time to make a profit from the PS3 consoles.

If this is true (and I am not saying it isn't as I read a news article that spoke, but not in detail, of a huge gamble that Sony is taking on these), then Sony will NEVER make a profit on them. Because if the retailers are selling them for 600.00 each...they are likely buying them for 300.00-350.00, I will even go 400.00, from Sony. That means that Sony is selling them for 1/2 of their production cost. And the numbers will never be there make that up. If production of roughly 1 million of them is 800.00 each, the number it would take to drop that production cost to a point that is profitable before an upgraded system come out is big enough that they would never sell them all.

The only thing that would change this theory is if the production of more units drops the pre-unit cost unbelievable fast. Assembly-line style production has the benefit of dropping per-unit cost with each added unit made, but these are pretty big numbers.

2-1B
11-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I don't mind waiting in line for Beanie Babies...but PS3 and Tickle Me Elmo ?
You're all crazy.

LTBasker
11-18-2006, 04:10 PM
If this is true (and I am not saying it isn't as I read a news article that spoke, but not in detail, of a huge gamble that Sony is taking on these), then Sony will NEVER make a profit on them.

Here's an article to confirm:

http://news.com.com/Is+Sony+eating+hundreds+of+dollars+on+each+PS3/2100-1043_3-6136204.html

With $240-300 loss on each system, even if they sell tons of accessories and get money from games they still won't be able to come close to breaking even. It's madness.

mtriv73
11-18-2006, 05:26 PM
It has to be the laser that is driving the cost up so much. I'm going out on a limb here :rolleyes: and assuming that the blu-ray thingamajigger inside it is indeed a blue laser. These are really nice because they have short wavelengths (488nm, I think) and can read info packed much closer together on a disk, but they're still awfully expensive. With increased production, the price on blue lasers should drop faster than a Maryland Terrapin can fumble a football (Sorry, I'm a little bitter about the way my wife's alma mater played today. Oh well, Go Hokies! Beat Wake Forrest![fingers crossed]) Look at laser pointers (I know it's a completely different animal, but bear with me for a second,) when the red ones first came out they were at least $100. Now they practically give them away with happy-meals. The same went with the green lasers. They started out at close to a grand but now they're way down in price. Blue lasers will be the same as will UV lasers. If they keep this unit in production long enough, they should actually start making money on them. Right now though, they're counting on people buying all the accessories and games to help them make a buck. It's worth it to Sony to lose some money now and not give up market share to microsoft and nintendo. If they keep the top-slot in the video game market then they'll be raking it in left and right for years to come.

Jargo
11-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Beanie babies? are they still going? I remember my first as if it were yesterday....

2-1B
11-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Beanie babies? are they still going? I remember my first as if it were yesterday....

They'll ALWAYS still be going...in our hearts.

Actually that's a damn good question that I didn't know the answer to so I went here http://www.ty.com/BeanieBabies_home and sure enough, they are still going! :)

Jargo
11-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Lord'a'mercy! will ya lookit dat.

jjreason
11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
The short-shipping is totally a ploy. You've got so many people wanting to buy these things right now.... WAY more than would ever seriously want to own/play one.... and it's all because of the ability to turn them over for big bucks BEFORE the complaints start rolling in about the backwards compatability problems.

I think that they'll make their money back on these (Sony, I mean). Even if they take a loss on the system itself, the peripherals and games make up part of it.... but the paying for online content is going to be the big cash-cow here.

For example, every car on Gran Turismo 5 (or whichever one is next for PS3) is going to cost money ($1 or something) and the tracks as well. Somewhere I read that for one person to have a complete set of cars and tracks, they'll have to pay in the neighbourhood of $1000 JUST for online content. That's crazy.... but you know people out there are going to do it.

LTBasker
11-19-2006, 01:28 AM
Well, even if they make money from peripheals and whatnot then it's going to take ALOT for them to even break even.

The total production run was 500,000. 100k for Japan, 400k for the US.

http://www.techimo.com/newsapp/i17240.html

Even if all the PS3s cost $600 and they were only losing $200 instead of $300 as well, then they're in the hole by $80,000,000. That's not including the 100k in Japan and however much they sell for. So even if they managed to break even on accessories, royalties, online content and whatever else, they still have to make alot more than just 500k more PS3s.

It's really late so I hope that means my math is wrong cause that just seems so royally screwed up...$80+ million loss...on a bloody console?

Darth Cruel
11-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Good links LTB...it even says that those consoles are typically sold for less than production cost. Interesting.