PDA

View Full Version : Does Wanting to Sell a few things Signify the Beginning of the End?

jjreason
11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
So as I sit here, I'm contemplating selling a few Star Wars pieces that just don't excite me any more..... as a matter of fact, they probably never did. Nothing serious, a few figures that are more on the periphery (Silver figures, Xmas figures, Star Tours, that sort of thing).

My concern is this: has anyone ever started selling a few pieces and then gotten carried away? I still love my stuff, but I'm certainly in a lull right now. I don't want to regret anything down the road.

Anyone?

CaptainSolo1138
11-17-2006, 05:43 PM
I know what you mean, jj. About a year ago I got rid of my loose Sio Bibble, a figure I was actually proud of since I very rarely find the "hard-to-get" figs. Since then, I've only had minimum desire to purchase a fig, certainly not enough to actually do it. We just moved into a new place and I'm not even certain that I'm going to take "my men" ;) out of their RubberMade prison. It's not even that the hobby isn't exciting for me anymore as much as it that the hobby is flat out boring.

I was PMing with Caesar a week or so ago and realized that I couldn't tell you the last time I posted in or read with any sense of "need to know" the figure threads here. The quality of the threads aside, the actual SW product being referenced isn't even enough to garner my attention. And with so many of the "usual suspects" (i.e. variants, exclusives, repacks, etc.) running rampant, I don't see myself ever getting back into the swing of things, opting rather to buy a random figure here and there if I happen to see sometnig that catches my eye.

El Chuxter
11-17-2006, 05:59 PM
I've got to say that, as the "Best Figure Poll" continued, I found myself voting and thinking "Why the hell do I even have that piece of crap?" more and more. It's finally gotten to the point in the poll (AOTC Deluxe) where I started passing on a lot of the bad figures. When I am in the store, I pass on about half of the stuff now. Things that are new figures (Gragra) or marked improvements (Rebel Endor Troopers) I'll pick up. I've passed on so many silly clones, or waited until they've been cleared out at half price. I think this year's been a pretty major shift downward for me. I've looked at so many of the exclusives this year and thought either, "That's stupid" or "Cool, but no way at that price." Even last year, I was buying all sorts of crap without thinking about it. I passed on most of the exclusives this year: Demise of Grievous, Snowspeeder, Dagobah X-Wing, AT-AT, 501st Stormtrooper, Skirmish in the Senate. I'm likely passing on the comic 2-packs, the tins, the Mace's Squadron set, and all but one figure in the final wave.

So, yeah, I don't think I'm done, but the way Hasbro's running things, I'm losing interest in a pretty wide swath of the line. The last things to get me really excited in the SW toy world were the Unleashed, which Hasbro is determined to kill. I actually find the Galactic Heroes a lot cooler than the basic figures right now, and I see so many stupid Lava Vaders and Utapau Clonetroopers and such gathering dust and wonder why they're even there.

By the way, on the very off chance that anyone bought the Snowspeeder and doesn't want Zev, I'm willing to talk. That's a figure I'd like to have, but no way at $30.

Darth Cruel
11-17-2006, 07:21 PM
I think it signals the end. I am seeing more and more of that. It seems to me that as some of the younger collectors get a little older...they "grow" out of the collecting. It just looses it's appeal. I am one of the few people that I know that made it through without loosing the love. There is nothing wrong with loosing interest...it is just a fact of life. And actually...there are some people who SHOULD stop collecting. The ones who put bills on the back burner until the last possible minute so they can get the latest figures that got released shouldn't collect. It takes a lot of maturity and responsibility to put the needs of the family over the needs of the collector. I never made it to that level of maturity so I had to make up for it with extra responsibility...in particular I got a job that would support both my family AND my collection.

Or...I could just really be full of crap.

Slicker
11-17-2006, 07:24 PM
If you were a completist then it's just one step closer, jj. If not then it's just thinning out the ranks to make room for new arrivals.

I guess I'll be the buzzard here and say that when you get a list together PM it to me.:yes:

jjreason
11-17-2006, 08:40 PM
:D Sure will, Slicker.

Money's not the issue, there's always been enough to cover the bills (though sometimes it wasn't by much). I don't see it as "growing out of it" either - I've been collecting SW figures since 1978. The simple fact is this: some of the stuff I have sucks, and I don't want it anymore.

I was always a completist - even as a kid "ho humming" while I got figures like the Imperial Officer and Obi Wan Kenobi, satisfied only inasmuch as I got to cross them off the list on the cardbacks. Since 1995, I'm well over 95% complete for loose figures, even including tripe such as the TRU 4 packs, a million terrible vehicle pack-ins and deluxe figures.... you name it.

I just feel it's time to be more choosy.... it's like El Chuxter said: "why do I even HAVE some of this crap?" hits the nail on the head.

Kidhuman
11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
JJ, I feel ya. I sold off a few things I didnt want recently, no need to have em around. Like Chux, I passed on alot of stuff this year, especially rehashed items and exclusives like Grievous. I mainly bought clones, no need ot keep getting the same figure over and over like Kit or Mace. I am only in it for new items or much improved stuff. I think the whole UGH thing did it in for me.

Rocketboy
11-17-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm in the same boat with the rest of you.

I rarely buy any Star Wars toys anymore. The only thing out there that I can say I really want is the Artoo Potato Head and maybe that big Galactic Heroes Bounty Hunter pack whenever it comes out. Every new figure I see I have a ho-hum attitude about. Even venturing down the toy aisle I just glance at the figures and rarely look behind whatever is up front.

And its not just the figures/toys, but rather Star Wars in general that I'm losing interest in. I'll still pick up reading material (Insider, Legacy comic, and Last of the Jedi) but it doesn't excite me the way it used to anymore; they're mostly just "office" reading. Hell, I still haven't opened the OOT DVDs yet.

I'd also like to get rid of most of my figures from my POTF 2 collecting days, but there just isn't a market for 'em.

2-1B
11-18-2006, 01:28 PM
I gutted a good percentage of my collection and really trimmed it down with zero regrets. I don't buy much of anything anymore but once in a great while something will grab my interest. Not often, though.

I didn't buy the OOT DVDs, either.

I still love Star Wars though, it's fun and I like to read the web and Insider but that doesn't cost much money. I'd like to get a few of the newer books from Amazon to catch up on the magic (I'm talking about documentary type books, not fiction).

Jargo
11-18-2006, 05:45 PM
well mr. jj, I reached a point where i wanted to be rid of it all. Even considered just throwing the whole lot into the garbage masher at the local dump.

But then i sat down and thought about the parts of the movies i liked best and narrowed it down to just Tatooine themed stuff. It cleared my loft of superfluous stuff and gave me a focus again. Instead of having so much stuff i had nowhere to show it off or keep it stored properly now I have three to four shelves that look good. no cramping stuff onto shelves, you can see my figures clearly and they're contextually collated.

so i would advise that ridding oneself of certain items isn't the end, just a re-organisation and prioritisation. (if that's a word, and if it isn't it should be)

jjreason
11-18-2006, 06:44 PM
Well, maybe it's time then. You wanna know what's interesting? My son likes to play star wars as well..... but he ALWAYS digs out his suitcase of old, battered vintage figures now, instead of his Falcon-case of newer ones. They're worn, loose and look awful compared to his modern figures - but they're his favorites by far.

The interesting part that I promises is this: for me, it's been the vintage figures exciting me as well. I think I've almost come full-circle.... the constant search for the new stuff (and near-constant "ho hum" feelings when getting it) is wearing me out.

JON9000
11-18-2006, 08:45 PM
I've sold a *lot* of stuff over the past year and made a pretty penny doing so. I've taken the figures I actually wish to keep out of their packages and sent the rest off on auction. The only figures I miss are Dutch Vander and Saga Hoth Han. I could buy a 50" Plasma with the proceeds, and I may yet do so.

I've used the money to fill in some holes elsewhere, pick up a vintage item or two, get the Sideshow Premium Format Leia (which I love), and put the money down for GG Slave Leia. Honestly, I just don't have room for that stuff where I am, and it has been collecting dust in my parent's basement, which isn't fair.

Old Fossil
11-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Most of the new stuff bores me, too, and my two-year old gets most of the proceeds from my extra money now... I often end up leaving toy departments with something for her, and ZIP for my SW collection.

I decided that my collection needed some focus. To that end, I set up 11 glass shelves, and privately declared that if it doesn't go on one of those shelves, it doesn't go in my collection, period. SO I have never bought Lushros Dofine, Mace's Starfighter, any Titanium figures, any 12" Sideshow figures, no GG or MR stuff... mostly just the better quality OT and PT figure offerings of late.

I've spent $100 in the past 2 months on SW stuff. That's not a lot by my standards, and I see the downward trend continuing. There's just not much else out there -- or on the way -- that I really want.

...Except for more AT-AT Drivers. I love those guys.:love:

Val Da Car
11-19-2006, 03:49 PM
I used to collect clones by the dozens.....but I am running of space for me to adequately store or display them. I am looking to thin out the ranks and maybe combine a diorama or two (like Jabba's Palace & the Cantina).

I have also expanding to the MR mini sabers (to the tune of 21 minis).

And now I am looking at the GG mini busts (clone wars) but thinking about other options.

mabudonicus
11-20-2006, 09:44 AM
You know, JJ, I think your son probably is picking up on the "play energy" stored in the vintage ones- I know there's something special about the vintage figs I own that the new ones will just never have- heck, just looking at some of them gives me real fond memories- I love "posing" them and recalling all the wacky things I used to do with them, the good ol days when the Empire was Vader, one stormie, a snowtrooper and a Death Star trooper (Usually with an assist from Hammerhead and Greedo)

I know my "collecting days" are LONG over, I sometimes get tempted by the odd fig, but in the last year I have gotten a grand total of 2 figures, and both were for mainly sentimental reasons.

I had a feeling when you were last down this way that you were on the edge of going VERY slack on collecting, and your recent "saw it, turned it down" posts have reinforced that... at least you will never "grow up", but you can still re-organize priorities without losing the fun, eh??
:beard:Isobaws&

InsaneJediGirl
11-23-2006, 11:18 AM
I havent bought a new Star Wars figure since January...but I will buy the Comic Packs. Mainly just because I'm a huge EU fan. The last figure I bought a few weeks ago wasnt even Star Wars.

I still love the movies and Star Wars itself...but to me the figures are "ho-hum" . Nothing really stands out to me,and nothing I would pay near $7 for in the store. I still collect,just the comics and books...I'm thinking of getting a few vintage figures but I dont see myself going crazy anymore.

As for the growing out of it...I dont know. I started when I was 11 and I'm 21 now. I dont feel "grown up"(or act it)...its just a general lack of interest on what is put on the shelves.

Blue2th
11-23-2006, 12:16 PM
I say it doesn't signal the beginning of the end, but rather a focus on what you really like to collect. I have a lot of SW stuff filed away out of sight out of mind so to speak in boxes. If I think about some of the older "buy everything Star Wars" I have, and some of it is craptastic, (though I need to find that huge Darth Maul throw rug!) I do believe I will eventually unload alot of it on the internet or give it away. There's nothing wrong with thinning the herd so to speak. I for one will always collect something, 'cause it's in my nature. Yet I don't buy super multiples of army builders or everything Star Wars anymore. There's some stupid stuff out there, so I focus on what I think is cool......I collect therefore I am.

decadentdave
11-23-2006, 01:10 PM
I think it's definitely the beginning of the end for Hasbro. I used to be a fanatical completist and now I've gotten to the point that I just don't care. Now that I'm in my mid-thirties, my interests have changed and now I focus on quality higher-end collectibles like Sideshow and Master Replicas. Most of Hasbro's junk is just crap. It will never be worth a lot of money that secondary dealers try to inflate the value of. For every $20 re-hashed item Hasbro produces is money that I could be putting towards a more expensive high-end quality piece. For example, the commemorative tins are $30 each times all 6 of them and that sets you back $180 or about 3 Sideshow figures if you look at it that way. I know I'd rather buy 3 new Sideshow figures than 6 metal tins with a bunch of repacked figures I already have. The repaints do nothing for me. I just don't care anymore. Plus I'm saving gas money because I don't drive around to every Walmart and Target in town like I used to. The stuff I buy now is only available online and I never have to leave the comfort of my home.

jedi master sal
11-23-2006, 04:20 PM
I think it's not just the beginning of the end but as mentioned a change of focus. All of us are getting older whether we are almost 40 somethings (like me) or teens who were kids at the time of TPM. I think the plethora of rehashed figures has really played on our collecting practices. I know proof positive that had all of the figures been new in the tin set (and not rehashes or bare upgrades), I would have bought them. Even though I have plenty of Vaders, Chewies etc. But eventhat is starting to play on me.

I'm still army building, but even I am slowing down a little here (and you fellows that know me, know that's something). I stopped at 8 sets of the Mace Windu Battle Pack, even though I could have had 16 sets. I've been passing up more figures than I've been buying. That doesn't bode well for Hasbro. Start multiplying that attitude and practice by us all and I think Hasbro is going to take a huge hit on SW in 2007. And the thing is, you just KNOW they are going to blame us. NOT kids, they'll blame it on collector's losing interest, which will be an admittal of the fact that it was a collector line all along... Anyway, they'll say interest is waning, instead of the truth which is that we are tired of the same crap being sold instead of new stuff and toys we've been asking for for years. AT-TE anyone...

I've got a massive project coming the week between Christmas and New Years, in that I'm going to reorganize my whole collection and pull out things I don't want, extras, etc, that I'm willing to sell and/or donate. Then consolidate what's left. To put some kind of scope on this, I now have over 100 31gal tubs filled with OPENED SW stuff. Thank goodness, 95% of this is already cataloged and it will be fairly easy to do, even if time consuming.

(So look for me to be selling quite a bit next year. Some things are goodies, some not so and will most likely go right to eBay in lots to just get rid of.)

I don't mind it being the end for me (well in 2007). I really am looking forward to building those huge dioramas I've been talking about for years. (I don't want anyone thinking I've been BSing them for this long...heh heh)

El Chuxter
11-24-2006, 11:02 PM
The thing that's scary, for me at least, is that the new Legacy series has totally broken me of my book/novel completism. I know everyone doesn't feel the same way, but I think it's absolute tripe, 100% against the very spirit of what is Star Wars. I'm only reading (much less buying) stuff set in the years prior to the NJO now, which looks like it's going to be less than half of what's coming out.

Sorry, but when you say Leia's son becomes a Sith Lord, the EU has officially jumped the shark. Keep in mind that, prior to jumping the shark, we had such great moments as IG-88 becoming the Death Star, Greedo being ground into a drink and a funeral held for only his head, Dengar being Boba Fett's best man, and a giant lump of intelligent rotted meat named Waru. Now you know how %$^&ing ridiculous I find the Legacy mess.

2-1B
11-24-2006, 11:22 PM
What I don't get is, why didn't they grind up Greedo's head, too ? :confused: How would that not be as tasty as his body ? :confused: