PDA

View Full Version : Jarhead

Tycho
11-18-2006, 04:34 AM
This is a decent movie. I'm not done watching it yet. I'm at the 90 minute point but may take a break and get some sleep as it's 1:30 in the A.M.

But:

1) I had no idea that it rained down oil when Saddam lit the oilfields. I mean the movie shows it raining oil so that puddles of it collected in the sand and globs of it blinded our soldiers that weren't wearing protective goggles.

2) Girlfriends were hardly faithful and most back in the states took less than 60 days to start cheating. This didn't surprise me one bit. It really sucked bad to be a Marine over there and unable to try and cope with having a girl back here. You might as well kiss her goodbye. Marriages without children also commonly failed. You get your girl pregnant before you deploy, and if you live, you survive to divorce and pay alimony and childsupport. For all the virtues of the Republicans perpetuating their family values rhetoric, they certainly do NOT support our troops. There's little or no counseling or concern for the soldiers who are losing all that mattered to them in their civilian life over here.

3) The enlistees are often as stupid as we all think John Kerry tried to point them out to be. The movie only reinforces that stereotype, besides shows them to be classless - desecrating Iraqi corpses who might not have been combatants, or even Iraqis for that matter.

4) You have to wonder if this is always about oil over there - by international interest or just the Bush family and their supporters. Why else would Saddam burn his wealth in the oil fields? But to deny us what he also saw as our objective over there?

The movie is highly relevant to today's current events as well.

Meanwhile, it's also like the Full Metal Jacket and Platoon movie of our generation's wars (Iraq and Iraq 2, the sequel).

Like I mentioned, I'm not done watching it yet, but sometimes a movie will just make me think and I have to stop and write down my thoughts while I'm thinking them.

More to come later. What was your impression of Jarhead?

Tycho
11-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Well, I finished the movie and saw the Marines return home after Desert Storm and come to be in contact with a burned out Vietnam Vet, find dead end jobs, and girlfriends who have left them and moved on.

To me, it continues to reinforce what we all really think John Kerry meant, or should have meant.

Sorry, but get some skills, go through college, do something with your life, or live all of it in "The Suck" whether you're in or out of the Marine Corps.

2-1B
11-18-2006, 04:33 PM
I saw this movie in the theater and liked it but I definitely fell for the branding gag. :D

BanthaPoodoo
11-22-2006, 02:17 PM
I have a good friend that was in Iraq & he said that Jarhead was way over the top & that it nothing like the real thing....

Was a good movie though!

Tycho
11-22-2006, 02:48 PM
It would be cool if you could get your friend to post because he'd be great for explaining the differences.

Now the guys in the movie were part of a sniper unit. The best comparison with real life would be one with someone assigned to the same job in the Corps. A supply truck driver, for example, would have a totally different experience.

JimJamBonds
11-25-2006, 06:34 PM
I haven't yet watched the movie but I read the book and thought it was quite good. Hey Tycho yeah there was cheating going on but if you read the book you'll find out there was plenty of cheating going on as well when they were in the 'Pi.'