PDA

View Full Version : Wii was supposed to be a sub-$100 console

Lord Malakite
11-18-2006, 04:49 AM
Here is a recent Business Week interview (http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2006/tc20061116_750580.htm) with Miyamoto I just happened to come across that shows some insight for the $250 price point. If nothing else it is an interesting read.

Rocketboy
11-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Too bad it wasn't.
I've always thought that the price is the way to win the system wars (as lomg as it is a good system).
$600+ is ridiculous for a video game system.

Slicker
11-18-2006, 10:00 AM
$250 still isn't a bad price at all for a game system that's so advanced.

Kidhuman
11-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah but 250 for Nintendos track record is horrid. A few good games at launch, 1 or 2 to follow and then nothing.

JediTricks
11-18-2006, 02:12 PM
I had read that the thing was developed initially as an add-on to the Gamecube, but Nintendo realized that addons nearly always fail.

That interview suggest this machine is essentially the console equivelent of an impulse buy: safe, sweet, cheap, not particularly filling.

$250 still isn't a bad price at all for a game system that's so advanced.SO ADVANCED?!? The machine itself is barely a hardware upgrade from the GC, take a look at this comparison I put together a while back:

Gamecube's stats:
CPU Clock Speed: 485 Mhz
GPU Clock Speed: 162 Mhz

Wii's stats:
CPU Clock Speed: 792 Mhz - 63% increase
GPU Clock Speed: 243 Mhz - 50% increase

-- now, others --

PS1 CPU at 34 Mhz
PS2 CPU at 297 Mhz - 873% increase

PS2 GPU at 147 Mhz
PS3 GPU at 650 Mhz - 442% increase

N64 CPU at 94 Mhz
Gamecube CPU at 485 Mhz - 515% increase

Xbox CPU at 733 Mhz
Xbox 360 CPU at 1600 Mhz - 218% increase.
This is the first next-gen console I know of where the hardware is less than a 200% upgrade from its current-gen version, and it's WAY lower than 200% with the Wii, 50% and 63% is pitiful.

Bobajames
11-23-2006, 02:51 AM
A. i have one, and it is fun as HELL.

B. PS3 will put me to bankruptcy

3. there are plenty of other advances for the wii that make it well worth $250 including - wireless internet (no pay subscription) with the ability to download every nes, snes, n64, genesis, atari, and turbografx16 game (in due time), fun things to do with pictures, connectivity and others, and the absolute funnest games around. i have been up all night playing it and am exhausted from wii sports' boxing matches (and drunk).

bottom line
1. wii
2. xbox
3. any other system
4. ps3

General_Grievous
11-24-2006, 02:50 PM
3. there are plenty of other advances for the wii that make it well worth $250 including - wireless internet (no pay subscription) with the ability to download every nes, snes, n64, genesis, atari, and turbografx16 game (in due time), fun things to do with pictures, connectivity and others, and the absolute funnest games around. i have been up all night playing it and am exhausted from wii sports' boxing matches (and drunk).

Now that's fun. But why would they include genesis games? And what's turbografx16?

Kidhuman
11-24-2006, 03:22 PM
You dont remember Turbogrpahics16? It was a short lived system that had some cool games for it like Bonks Adventure. Check it on, eitehr google or Wiki should have info on it.

CaptainSolo1138
11-24-2006, 04:26 PM
I'll find other things to flick and save my $250.

JediTricks
11-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Turbografx 16 wasn't that short-lived, in the US it was from '89 to '94 and in Japan from '87 to '99, it was a competitor to the NES and then Genesis, the release of the SNES basically buried the TG16 though.

They're releasing those older Genesis and TG16 games on the virtual console to add value and because their licenses are cheap enough after all this time to pad the list of titles, plus their games are fun. Still, I don't really get the idea of the Virtual Console when the games cost kinda high for 10 to 20-year-old titels, and there's no Super Mario All-Stars (that SNES cart should be a MUST HAVE), and the Wii's only internal storage is 512mb, and you have to store others on SD cards (at least SD cards are cheap, but still, to get the PS3's 20gb storage you'd need another $300 or so in SD cards).

darthvyn
11-30-2006, 11:01 AM
This is the first next-gen console I know of where the hardware is less than a 200% upgrade from its current-gen version, and it's WAY lower than 200% with the Wii, 50% and 63% is pitiful.

percentages look great, as long as the hardware actually WORKS. current reports show that the PS3 apparently can't handle that increase in computing power... hence lockups and freezing...

Rogue II
11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
percentages look great, as long as the hardware actually WORKS. current reports show that the PS3 apparently can't handle that increase in computing power... hence lockups and freezing...

Meh, don't argue with him. He doesn't buy into the controller gimmick and he is a bit too caught up in specs and graphics to be considered part of the Wii target audince.;) :D

JEDIpartner
11-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Wii are the world...
Wii are the children...

Rogue II
11-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Wii want the funk
Gotta have that funk

JEDIpartner
11-30-2006, 03:00 PM
...and this little piggy went "wii wii wii" all the way home!

El Chuxter
11-30-2006, 03:09 PM
You owe JT five cents.

Lord Malakite
11-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Here is another article I've just come across involving the sensor bar (http://wii.ign.com/articles/748/748011p1.html). For those of you who are the innovative type this may prove to be an interesting read.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
11-30-2006, 07:34 PM
percentages look great, as long as the hardware actually WORKS. current reports show that the PS3 apparently can't handle that increase in computing power... hence lockups and freezing...Yeah, same thing happened with the 360 last year, somehow Microsoft was able to keep the bad public image from tanking the machine though, Sony will probably follow suit.

You owe JT five cents.Nicely done! It's 3 cents per use though. ;)

Here is another article I've just come across involving the sensor bar (http://wii.ign.com/articles/748/748011p1.html). For those of you who are the innovative type this may prove to be an interesting read.:thumbsup:Damn, that's shocking, doesn't work past 9 feet OR LESS! I was fairly confident that's how the thing worked due to its uniform size, though I'm surprised it's the controller sending the info rather than the bar.

UKWildcat
12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Has anyone else checked out this website? Wiihaveaproblem (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/)

Evidentally some people are breaking pretty nice TVs (and other things) while playing the Wii b/c of the Remote slipping out of their hands or the wrist strap breaking. I'd be pi**ed off either way.

plasticfetish
12-02-2006, 04:41 PM
Those people are a lot of drunks and idiots. The wrist strap is to prevent you from dropping the thing on the floor, not keeping your boozed up girlfriend from pitching it at your mothers TV. (Gawd.)

General_Grievous
12-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Wii didn't start the fire. It was always burning since the world's been turning.

scruffziller
12-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Well the Wii seems to be getting folks back into physical action with video games and is a "family friendly" game system but I could care less. I saw the games and they are a load of crap. As much as I have been a Nintendo fan, this one I have no prob skipping. I am just glaaaaaadddddd that Twilight Princess is also out for GC. I will say those PS3 graphics for that one dragon game were downright impressive. But as I said before I will stick with my World of Warcraft.

JediTricks
12-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Who knew the Wiimote could do so much damage? Some of those busted TVs are really surprising.

darthvyn
12-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Has anyone else checked out this website? Wiihaveaproblem (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/)

Evidentally some people are breaking pretty nice TVs (and other things) while playing the Wii b/c of the Remote slipping out of their hands or the wrist strap breaking. I'd be pi**ed off either way.

those people are wiitarded.

Lord Malakite
12-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Found another site that might be worth checking out. WiiCade (http://wiicade.com/Home.aspx)

Once the Opera Internet browser is available, users will be able to use the Wiimote as a mouse. In what may be a happy side-effect of the Wii's motion-sensing controls, Flash games that only require a mouse can be played with the Wiimote.:D

scruffziller
12-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Found another site that might be worth checking out. WiiCade (http://wiicade.com/Home.aspx)

Once the Opera Internet browser is available, users will be able to use the Wiimote as a mouse. In what may be a happy side-effect of the Wii's motion-sensing controls, Flash games that only require a mouse can be played with the Wiimote.:D

GAWD!!! Can this system get any lamer!!!:rolleyes:

MrMet
12-05-2006, 02:57 PM
250 is cheap in my eyes. I'm 35 and remember my parents screaming no way in hell would they pay $200.00 for a game. That was the launch price of Atari 2600 in 1977. Stayed around 150.00 for a 5 year run before dropping to $99.00 in mid 80's. That same year my parents purchased our Home for 35,000. Gas was also alot cheaper, so on and so forth. I think $500-600 for a top of the line system today is about right............

JediTricks
12-05-2006, 04:33 PM
If the Wii were a top-of-the-line system, perhaps $250 would be cheap, but considering how much less processing power it has than the 360 which is $300 and how little more processing power it has from its predecessor, the Gamecube, which sells for $100... it doesn't seem like a bargain to me. The only technology upgrade you're really buying is the Wiimote control system which they're selling for $60 a set (mote & chuck).

Dar' Argol
12-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I've been looking at all the damge the wiimote can cause . . . . there is a lot of damage there.

My question is if nintendo is pushing this as the next best thing then why are they making this???

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/09/nintendo-shows-off-wii-remote/

Dar' Argol
12-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Oh I wanted to add:

Wii built this city! Wii built this city on rock and Rooooooooooolll!!!!!

plasticfetish
12-05-2006, 10:02 PM
iif nintendo is pushing this as the next best thing then why are they making this???Read up on it a little and you'll see...

"The Classic controller is used specifically in conjunction with the Virtual Console download service. With this service, players can download classic games from the NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, and Turbografix-16 game consoles."

From what I understand (and if anyone knows better please correct me), the Gamecube controller will work just as well.

("wiitarded" was very funny darthvyn)

Lord Malakite
12-07-2006, 12:35 AM
From what I understand (and if anyone knows better please correct me), the Gamecube controller will work just as well.

For most games the GCN controller will do.

Virtual Console games can be played using three different controllers. The Wii Remote itself (turned on its side) can be used for NES, TurboGrafx-16, and some Sega Genesis games, and the separately sold Nintendo "Classic Controller" can be used for all Virtual Console games. The controllers from the Nintendo GameCube can be used for all Nintendo systems' games, however Nintendo's site claims that it can only be used with some TurboGrafx-16 and Sega Genesis titles

Platform--------Wii Remote--Classic Controller---GCN Controller
NES---------------Yes----------Yes---------------Yes
SNES--------------No-----------Yes---------------Yes
N64---------------No-----------Yes----------------Yes
Genesis-----------Some---------Yes---------------Some
TurboGrafx-16-----Yes----------Yes---------------Some

Its unclear about MSX and Commodore 64 games yet.

plasticfetish
12-07-2006, 02:25 AM
LM, isn't the DS supposed to work as a wireless controller also, or did I just dream that?

Lord Malakite
12-07-2006, 03:16 AM
The DS, DS Lite, GBA, and GBA SP can all be connected.

The GBA and GBA SP are self-explaining. All GCN games that had GBA support (Animal Crossing, Rogue Leader, Wind Waker, PacMan VS., etc.) will be able to use the same GBA and GBA SP controller support on the Wii (provided you own the GCN/GBA link cable to link them).

The DS and DS Lite will also connect (wirelessly) with the Wii. Its not entirely clear what all will be possible with the DS and DS Lite though. One thing mentioned was being able to wirelessly download and play online DS game demos from the Wii (similar to DS store kiosk machines). It was also mentioned that the DS could be possibly be used as a controller for some Wii games (particularily for its microphone and touch screen abilities). Nothing concrete has been shown though.

UKWildcat
12-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Anyone else see this article on Yahoo (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061207/ap_on_hi_te/japan_nintendo_wii)?

Dar' Argol
12-09-2006, 12:26 AM
There are some great points in that article:

"We are investigating," Iwata said of reports about the Wii's strap coming off as players swung around the controller, at times causing the remote to fly out of their hands.

What is there to investigate??? The Strap breaks . . . usually as it is pointed towards the TV at the peak of its motion . . . . . and it hits the TV . . . . duh!

"Some people are getting a lot more excited than we'd expected," Iwata said. "We need to better communicate to people how to deal with Wii as a new form of entertainment."

People get excited playing games. They react like they would in real life playing tennis. They play tennis or bowl so they know the force that is needed to play these sports and are translating it to the game . . . its gonna happen . . . .

The company has not decided on any specific measures to change the strap, Nintendo spokesman Yasuhiro Minagawa said.

ummmm . . . . WHY?? If th darn thing keeps breaking because its a 2 millimeter thread holding it . . . . nah, nevermind, its fine how it is . . . . :thumbsup:

Iwata denied that Nintendo was competing against Sony. It's more important to attract novice players and to reach out to older people and others usually not associated with games, he said.

Hence the reason why the Wiimotes are being thrown through TV's and windows and ceiling fans and . . . . . .

Actually that is the most important statement. They WANT the novice and older gamer. They want people who do not understand the physics behind flailing your arms about and relying on a 2 millimeter twine to hold the wiimote in your sweaty hand.

I'm waiting for the report (but I really DO NOT want this to happen, but it will) that somebody's younger sibling walked in front of the TV and gets clocked in the head because someone got "too excited" from playing a game and lost control of the controller. I don't want that to happen, but if a Laptop can get killed from this thing, I'd hate to see if someone got hit by these things.

It be interesting to figure out the speed of a Wiimote as it leaves your hand and strikes the TV. You know, the weight of the controller times force applied to the arm divided by the swing arc equals X amount of MPH. I know someone can figure that out. He he he . . . .

JediTricks
12-09-2006, 07:02 PM
What is there to investigate??? The Strap breaks . . . usually as it is pointed towards the TV at the peak of its motion . . . . . and it hits the TV . . . . duh!They'd want to investigate WHY it breaks, and whether they are even liable. There was a segment on CNN the other day about the strap breaking, they commented that the strap was fine but the connector to close the strap was far too thin. However, if Nintendo finds that the straps only break under use beyond the intended behavior, they can take less and cheaper steps to remedy the problem and buffer themselves from product liability issues - they want to avoid having to recall and replace parts, as well as avoid lawsuits.

People get excited playing games. They react like they would in real life playing tennis. They play tennis or bowl so they know the force that is needed to play these sports and are translating it to the game . . . its gonna happen . . . . The idea with their statement is to make it seem like the customer's fault rather than theirs.

ummmm . . . . WHY?? If th darn thing keeps breaking because its a 2 millimeter thread holding it . . . . nah, nevermind, its fine how it is . . . . :thumbsup: Again, it's all about limiting culpability, if they say they KNOW why it's a problem then it IS a problem, if they hem and haw for a while they can see what they can get away with.

Lord Malakite
12-17-2006, 02:01 AM
Nintendo has recently placed the following pages up on their site.

Free Replacement "Re-designed" Strap Order Form (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/strapreplace.jsp)

Re-designed Strap/Faulty Original Strap Comparison Picture (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/straps.jsp)

Safety Information for Playing Wii (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wii_safety.jsp)

Wii Health and Safety Precautions (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wiisafety.jsp)

scruffziller
12-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Catering to inexperienced players. It may help the sales but that is what makes it stupid.:yes:

plasticfetish
12-18-2006, 01:09 AM
Stupid or not, the Wii blew out at all of the local stores around here this morning... again.

JediTricks
12-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Nintendo has recently placed the following pages up on their site.
Re-designed Strap/Faulty Original Strap Comparison Picture (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/straps.jsp)Oooh, it looks 20% thicker, that'll stop it from breaking! :p Man, if you have to include a magnified view to show the difference, it won't be enough.

Wii Health and Safety Precautions (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wiisafety.jsp)Yeah, they're really going the distance explaining safe motion procedures there. :D

Lord Malakite
12-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Oooh, it looks 20% thicker, that'll stop it from breaking! :p Man, if you have to include a magnified view to show the difference, it won't be enough.

Yeah, they're really going the distance explaining safe motion procedures there. :D
Its a start. At least they are fairly quick to act in trying to correct the problems. If it were Sony you would need a court order before anything was done.:D

Dar' Argol
12-19-2006, 09:26 PM
We have received some reports that when consumers swing the Wii Remote with the original version of the wrist-strap using excessive force and accidentally let go, the cord connecting the controller to the wrist strap can break, potentially causing the Wii Remote to strike bystanders or objects.

Received SOME reports????? What they need to do is create a wrist lock-down device that wraps around your wrist like a python on its next meal.

"potentially causing the Wii Remote to strike bystanders" . . . . . he he he . . . .

Lord Malakite
12-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Here is some interesting news for anyone who has been lucky enough to find and pick up the Wii already. Nintendo is currently offering a free 90 day warranty extension as one of their "product registration bonuses (http://www.nintendo.com/registerwii/)" they occasionally do.

Not quite as exciting as the free "Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition" and "Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Bonus Disc" for GCN or the "3 for free/12 for $12" Issues of Nintendo Power magazine (among other things) that they have done in the past, but its something.

Jargo
12-30-2006, 02:06 PM
I know a guy who went to play golf and because he had to walk and haul his corpulent fat lardy arse around the greens decidedto get a wii to save on the actual exercise. lazy fat ********!!!!

if they add a VR headset to wii it could have nice practical uses elsewhere though.

Dar' Argol
01-01-2007, 10:55 AM
if they add a VR headset to wii it could have nice practical uses elsewhere though.

And there begins the rise of the machines . . . he he he

Yeah, add the headset so they can't see what they are throwing the Wiimotes at!
Wiitards playing the Wii . . . blind leading the blind . . . . he heh he.

BTW, at www.wiihaveaproblem.com they have gotten TONS more pics and whatnot since X-Mas . . . some of it is pretty funny!

Lord Malakite
01-03-2007, 07:43 PM
BTW, at www.wiihaveaproblem.com they have gotten TONS more pics and whatnot since X-Mas . . . some of it is pretty funny!

You might also enjoy http://www.wiidamage.com/ Dar. A lot of the pics are the same as the other site, but there are a few new ones (including one of someone's dog who got Wiimote uppercutted).

Lord Malakite
01-14-2007, 03:32 AM
It looks like we have our first case of a Wii related fatality (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html).:sad:

Luuuuuuke
02-04-2007, 03:35 PM
I have the Wii and I'm not complaining. Nintendo is entitled to make money off the consoles. It's known that Sony is satisfied to lose money on the consoles but make money on the games. But they're arrogant and got sloppy and they fell behind. I'm seeing PS3's sit on shelves.

I have a small daughter and two nephews at home, and they thoroughly enjoy the Wii. They love playing Zelda and they love watching each other play it. I'm sure more games will be on the way, and there's some pretty inexpensive Gamecube games that I can also buy. Whereas didn't it turn out a ton of PS2 games CANNOT be played on the PS3?

For me, I care about the graphics only to a certain extent. I was pretty satisfied with the PS2's graphic; so I'm not going to pay $600 right out the gate for better graphics. To me the gameplay is more important, and so far I'm happy with the Wii.

DarthQuack
02-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm having a blast with my Wii, when I get a chance to play it. I'm usually busy working so much, but I love making Mii's and Wii Sports. I have Zelda as well, but my brother is borrowing it and enjoying it for a while. Also picked up Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 on launch day, but haven't played them too much.

preacher
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Excitetruck is pretty cool too.

I have no complaints with my system either. Anybody that is flinging their remote and breaking things is a pinhead. I don't see how anyone could possibly have that much bad luck with this thing unless there is alcohol involved.

Of all the Zelda games, I like Ocarina of Time the most still. Not to say that Twilite Princess isn't a good Zelda game. I'm 55 hrs into it (trying to find all the heart containers) and having a blast. But it feels a little to familiar with other Zelda games and is WAY too much like PS2's Okami.

Luuuuuuke
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
It looks like we have our first case of a Wii related fatality (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html).:sad:

You know, I was ready to laugh at the absurdity of it all, but as I read this story, I realized it was just plain sad.

This poor woman just got involved in this goofy, cute-sounding contest because she wanted to surprise her 3 kids with a Wii and she ends of dying of water intoxication of all things.

Her poor kids.

Anyone, on to happier stuff. I'm enjoying Zelda. I'm also not sure I like it more than Ocarina. It's definitely technically superior, but Ocarina was a first of its kind. And Twilight is a bit too derivative. Still, it's a great game. I'm almost done. I'm halfway through the Twilite Palace, then I'll try the Cave of Ordeals again(the first time I died on level 45, and stupidly didn't even get to use a single one of my life regenerating potions cause I was frozen by Redeads).

Still have to catch about 8 Poes. All done with Giant Quiver, Giant Bomb bags, Giant Wallet, etc.

Lord Malakite
02-07-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm enjoying Zelda. I'm also not sure I like it more than Ocarina. It's definitely technically superior, but Ocarina was a first of its kind. And Twilight is a bit too derivative. Still, it's a great game. I'm almost done. I'm halfway through the Twilite Palace, then I'll try the Cave of Ordeals again(the first time I died on level 45, and stupidly didn't even get to use a single one of my life regenerating potions cause I was frozen by Redeads).

Still have to catch about 8 Poes. All done with Giant Quiver, Giant Bomb bags, Giant Wallet, etc.
I'm still trying to find a Wii to play my copy. :cry: I might just break down and use my $50 gift certificate for EB to buy the GCN version at just shipping costs if it takes much longer.

In the mean time I'm trying to stay as spoiler free as possible to get the most from the game. Still don't know the story, nor do I want to till I actually play it. How am I doing it you might wonder. With lots of Animal Crossing. Only 850 million bells more till I have that post office model. :shocked: I should get Baten Kaitos Origins and Resident Evil 4 while I'm waiting (I've been putting off purchasing those for a while now).:cross-eye

JON9000
02-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Resident Evil 4 while I'm waiting (I've been putting off purchasing those for a while now)

You need to get that, pronto. One of the best of all time, and only $20. Less on ebay.

Luuuuuuke
02-14-2007, 09:39 PM
I heard some Targets are expecting huge number of Wiis soon, I'm talking A LOT. So maybe these will become easier to find.

I finally finished Zelda. But now I'm thinking about other games to buy, but they have to be games at this point my daughter and two nephews will enjoy. Maybe "Animal Crossing" from the Gamecube? There's a Super Marios soccer game that seems pretty fun. Unfortunately there don't seem to be too many Wii games to pick from right now.

Lord Malakite
02-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Maybe "Animal Crossing" from the Gamecube?
If you are a completist when it comes to doing all game challenges without cheating the Gamecube game Animal Crossing will get you the most game for your buck. And I'm not just saying that because its exclusive to the GCN, includes a free memory card, or because its only $20 now. It could still be going for $50, be available for all video game systems, and not include the free memory card and you'd still get your money's worth.

I have been playing this game everyday (not counting when I was off at college) since I got it 3 years ago and only now am I close to completing my store catalog. And yet (with 14 station models and the post office model still to obtain) that goal is still so far away.

plasticfetish
02-15-2007, 01:27 AM
I have been playing this game everydaySeriously!!! Can this game take away more of your life? I haven't played in a few months now, but over the past few years it's eaten up HUGE chunks of time. (I still need the tiger dragonfly to finish the bugs off.)

It's a great game Luuuuuuke.

I'd be thrilled to see some Wiis show up (still haven't seen one), but I'll have to wait a bit, because I've spent the money I had tucked away to buy one before Xmas. lol

Lord Malakite
02-17-2007, 12:38 AM
Seriously!!! Can this game take away more of your life? I haven't played in a few months now, but over the past few years it's eaten up HUGE chunks of time. (I still need the tiger dragonfly to finish the bugs off.)

The Banded Dragonfly is a pain in the you know where to catch. The GBA island is probably the best bet to catching it (not as much area to cover). Either that or keep your net out while running about town and hope you get lucky with it flying right at you.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get those other 14 station models (already have station model 7). Seems like e-Reader cards would be the easiest means for most of them. The trick is trying to guarantee I'll get the few station models not available through cards with my other characters come "My Town's Name" Day. If I can't I'll be kind of screwed.:D

The only other things I'm missing are the box of chocolates (which I'm working on with the lighthouse duty thing right now), the post office model (up to 169 million something saved now and averaging about 10-20 million each week in turnip sales), and three pinwheels (just need luck on the 4th of July or Day After Thanksgiving Sale at Nook's for those). Then I'll have a complete catalog.:pleased:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, so I bought a Wii. :D

Lemme explain: I've had my eyes on one since last winter when two of my good friends here at home got them on their release date. This thing is a BLAST. There are very few consoles that allow for such great fun in their multiplayer modes as well as being really interactive in the first person modes. I put it on the back burner as I was still in school and it was christmas and i wanted to watch my $$.

Well, about a week or so ago, EVERYBODY got in shipments and had them in their ads: Best Buy, Target, TRU, Circuit City, etc. I was going to role my a-- out of bed and get one, but i decided that it was the wrong time as it was finals week next week and I had stuff to do and write along with grading 40 odd papers.

I came home this weekend as I got everything done (mostly) and one of my old roomies is having a bachelor party and with stress, i need to unwind. Plus, i do work at wally world in the electronics department in my off time. I decided i'd buy a Wii over the summer and get my discount.

I went into work on Thurdsay to talk to my boss and what do I see? A the nintendo case currently has six Wii's. I asked my friends about them and they informed me that they had come in and just been unloaded not even an hour ago. I stood there, contemplating my decision. It didn't help that my adorable lady friend was like, 'cmon miiiiiitt! you know you want to buy it!" and my other guy friend has one and was just nodding his head at me, not saying a word. So, yeah, I picked one up along with Rapala Fishing and the two year service plan extension through wal-mart. With my discount of 30, the total was: $295. You can't beat that. I had to laugh though as I bought the one of the six they had in stock and in the 25 minutes I was chatting with my friends, they had about 10 calls about the Wii and sold about three more (they were sold out within the day).

I do plan on getting an extra nunchuck after finals next week as my dad is REALLY excited to bowl, golf, and box (hehehehe) with me over the summer. Hell, even my bro who is coming home in a few weeks to surprise my mom for her birthday/mothers day keeps nagging me to pick up Tiger Woods Golf.

Plus, you beat that backwards compatiability:
1. Gamecube (i'm scouring e-bay for good deals on Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero).
2. NES games! nintendo is rereleasing NES games that I believe you can purchase using Wii points or using a credit card. I don't know how to do this yet, but i'm sure my two buddies will show me. C'mon, how cool will it be to play RBI Baseball or Baseball Stars again?! And for the record, I cannot be stopped at Baseball Stars. The Ninja Black Sox are my team and I destroy all! hehehe

Overall, i'm REALLY looking forward to playing this bad boy over the summer. I'm not taking it back to school with me cos i'll have too much work and I need to watch some things on my DVR before I cancel my subscription over the summer, but once i come back home in mid may, Wii time!! :thumbsup:

and Mala, if you still need one, I can keep my eyes peeled when I return home to work and if i spot one, I can buy it for you, and you can send me a check/paypal, etc. Lemme know! :)

P.S.- I'm REALLY REALLY looking forward to "Spider-Man 3" on the Wii. Should be A BLAST.

Lord Malakite
04-29-2007, 01:56 AM
Plus, you beat that backwards compatiability:
1. Gamecube (i'm scouring e-bay for good deals on Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero).
2. NES games! nintendo is rereleasing NES games that I believe you can purchase using Wii points or using a credit card. I don't know how to do this yet, but i'm sure my two buddies will show me. C'mon, how cool will it be to play RBI Baseball or Baseball Stars again?! And for the record, I cannot be stopped at Baseball Stars. The Ninja Black Sox are my team and I destroy all! hehehe
Don't forget about SNES, N64, Genesis, Turbo-Grafix, Neo-Geo, and (at least in Japan anyway) the MSX. To purchase games all you have to do is enter the shopping channel on the channel selection screen (and be hooked to the internet by broadband or by Wi-Fi). The rest is pretty much self-explaining. RBI and Baseball Stars haven't been released yet. It all depends on who currently holds the game license if they ever will.

and Mala, if you still need one, I can keep my eyes peeled when I return home to work and if i spot one, I can buy it for you, and you can send me a check/paypal, etc. Lemme know! :) I appreciate the offer. I might take you up on it if I don't get a Wii soon. But first I have to settle this little matter of getting a stupid driver's license and finding a job to knock down that ever-looming college debt that is ever so slowly bleeding my family to death as I'm currently not paying it.:whip:

El Chuxter
09-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I guess this is more or less "the official Wii thread."

I'm guessing these will be easier to get now. Yesterday, I hit four of the big five stores (Target, TRU, Best Buy, and Circuit City--didn't get to WM) and all had Wiis in stock. Plus, it looks like stores are advertising them again this week.

Which makes me think they planned to build demand and hype for about a year, then start unloading a respectable number of the consoles to the market. That way they can sell more of the crapload of new games that look to be coming out in the next few months.

My Wii gets a doonload of use out of just WiiSports and WiiPlay. I don't even have any other games yet.

Lord Malakite
10-01-2007, 02:56 AM
They are still somewhat hard to find in my area. I also imagine that within the next two months (with Christmas, the Wii Zapper soon to be released [which includes the game Link's Crossbow Training], two heavy hitting first party games on the way [Super Mario Galaxy & Super Smash Bros. Brawl], and one popular first party game just released late August [Metroid Prime 3: Corruption]) that they will become almost impossible to find again.

Of the Wii games currently available Chux I would recommend Trauma Center: Second Opinion (if you don't already own the Nintendo DS version), The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (if you don't already own the Gamecube version), Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (if you don't already own the Playstation 2 or Gamecube version), and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. When they become available I would also recommend Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Link's Crossbow Training, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, Wii Fit, Trauma Center: New Blood, and Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure.

DarthQuack
10-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Wii Friend Codes anyone?

5908 7031 5788 2488

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I think once I get done with my Master's exam next week, i'll pick up a wireless router so i can download and get online. The only games I have are: Wiiplay, Mario Party 8 (FANTASTIC for big groups), Tiger Woods 08 (with the golf club), RE4 and POTC:AWE as it was only 25 bucks a few weeks ago.

And within the next two months, i plan on getting: Trauma Center as it has to drop in price when the new one comes out (right?), Super Mario Galaxy and the new Simpsons game. Should be a nice winter break. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
I only have WiiSports and WiiPlay. I've not needed any other games for the past four months. I picked up Carnival today for my wife's birthday, though, since she'd expressed interest in it.

DarthQuack
10-10-2007, 08:21 PM
I can't wait for Guitar Hero III for Wii....it's gonna be great.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Quick question, does the wii have to have any certain brand, etc. of wireless router or will any do? I'll pick up a decent, ie- expensive, Belkin router or something. Then again, I could just run a chord from the router I have now to my Wii, but where would be the fun in that. Any router recommendations would be great as i'm hoping to get a router and some online points saturday after my exam as a post exam present.

plasticfetish
10-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Check >> this (http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/onlineWirelessRouterChoose.jsp) JMG. :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
10-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I would suggest Nintendo's official online router, just as plasticfetish pointed out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-18-2007, 06:35 PM
1. Regarding the routers: many thanks for the link!! I'm a tad confused though: on the site they have

"Wii
The following routers have known compatibility issues with the Wii console.

Belkin
F5D6231-4 vers. 1000
F5D7230-4 vers. 4000"

And then below that, they have an article talking about some problems you might have with firewalls and then BELOW that they have:

Linksys
WCG200 ver. 2
WCG200-CC
WCG200-CC ver. 2

Netgear
CG814W
CG814WG ver .2
CG814WG

RCA
DCW725

So, I assume the three sets below are good to go or??? Any online Wii users wanna share which ones they use? The guy I chatted with at best buy said he uses netgear, but the more opinions, the merrier.

2. And TRAUMA CENTER finally dropped in price!! yay!!! Picked it up today at $29.99!! About time!! :thumbsup:

plasticfetish
10-18-2007, 07:26 PM
I think that's the list of "problem" routers. With just about anything else that meets the general requirement as being OK.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Sweet; thanks for the info! I'll have to pick up a router here soon!

Also, i'm updating my Mii cos i'm growing out my beard, but i'm curious: is there ANY way to trim the beard they have?? It's far too thick and my buddy was able to get a perfect beard on his, but he doesn't remember how as it was a year ago. It's not giving me the option to change anything about it and i'm thinking maybe there is a download on the mii channel or something?! thanks! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-16-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm online and ready to roll!!

My friend code is: 3080 4183 3819 6381

I'm under the name Gigs, so friend away, folks!! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
11-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Here's mine....not sure if I had posted it or not...

5908 7031 5788 2488

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-09-2007, 08:43 AM
I found this really cool article on MSN about how the elderly love the Wii. http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/NintendosWiiASurpriseHitWithSeniors.aspx?page=1 I thought this was a really cool article as the system is really easy and fun; so much that anybody can play it. Hell, my mom has/had hip problems, but we play Wii bowling for hours when i'm home from time to time.

And the Wii madness is still going on: I was asked to track down a Wii for a friend of the family. I guess my knack for finding rare stuff, especially during the holiday season has given me a reputation. And sure enough, after checking best buy on tuesday, I headed to wal-mart where they had just recieved 80 Wii's!! I was first in line and within minutes, I had about 40 people behind me. We waited patiently for about 20 minutes as they checked them in and then, booya, the selling began and I snagged it for my friend's son. :thumbsup: Since I was first in line, I joking said, "I'll take them all!" and man, people gave me a dirty look. lol

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
So I picked up Endless Ocean a few days ago (http://wii.ign.com/articles/846/846970p1.html) and i'm pretty excited to play it. Supposed to be a very relaxing, fun, game. And since i'm a sucker for these sorts of things on Discovery, I figured 29.99 was a good price. It's getting great reviews, so i'm excited! :thumbsup:

I'm also becoming addicted to the Wii Bowling Training sessions. I've got a silver medal on the power throw and I can clear 11 lanes on the curve portion. I just can't curve/spin the ball!

Also, IGN has a preview of 2008 games for the Wii: http://wii.ign.com/articles/846/846421p1.html Aside from SW, I'm really excited about Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit, and MLK 2K8. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Wii Fit and Super Smash Bros Brawl look awesome.

I've seen Endless Ocean a few times, and wasn't sure about it. I may have to check that one out, too.

I'm guessing that, if they're right about an update on an old franchise, it will be Kid Icarus. I've noticed a lot of rave reviews for the game, and folks wondering why it was never continued. However, an updated version of Pit (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/pit.html) appears in Super Smas Bros Brawl. Why update an obscure character without plans to use him again...?

Lord Malakite
01-26-2008, 03:49 AM
I'm guessing that, if they're right about an update on an old franchise, it will be Kid Icarus. I've noticed a lot of rave reviews for the game, and folks wondering why it was never continued. However, an updated version of Pit (http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/pit.html) appears in Super Smas Bros Brawl. Why update an obscure character without plans to use him again...?
Well, if thats the case then we can expect a new Ice Climber and Game & Watch game. :D In all seriousness though, Kid Icarus did have one sequel that appeared on the original Game Boy. It was entitled Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_Icarus:_Of_Myths_and_Monsters). With talk of the Virtual Console possibly releasing Game Boy games (http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/10/rumor-downloada.html) in the future (through use of the Nintendo DS and special DS download storage cards) maybe you'll get a chance to play this gem as well.

Speaking of handhelds like Game Boy on the Virtual Console, I've got an exciting announcement to make. Starting in February the Virtual Console will add three new systems to their download list to enjoy. The Sega Mark III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Mark_III), the Sega Master System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Master_System), and the handheld Sega Game Gear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Game_Gear).

El Chuxter
03-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Costco had some games for $15.99. I picked up Sonic and the Secret Rings (I think that's the name), and it turned out there was an instant rebate at the register for $5 off! So, in other words, they had Wii games for $10.99!!

preacher
03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Got me Wii to communicate over the internet finally using a Linksys WRT54G which is sold at Walmart for 49.99. Good little unit.

It wasn't too difficult to get setup, but it wasn't a slam dunk for me either. The support forum on the Nintendo Wii website was helpful. After trying and failing several times to connect with security enabled I found another website online that suggested disabling the security initally in order for the latest Wii update to upload. Apparently one of the updates has enhanced router support. But when I re-enabled security I still had trouble. The encryption I tried using initially was WPA (PNK)over wireless channel 6.

The combination of WPA2-PSK (AES) with Automatic IP addressing and configuring the router to use wireless channel 11 does the trick on my setup. I did not have to enable MAC addressing in the router setup either.

Just wanted to pass this along in case anyone has the same router and is having trouble.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Here is my code for Super Smash Bros Online.

1762-2873-0396

I'm not very good, but i still enjoy playing!

DarthQuack
04-26-2008, 06:32 PM
Pre-ordered Mario Kart and will be picking it up at midnight tonight, anyone else gonna pick this up?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Pre-ordered Mario Kart and will be picking it up at midnight tonight, anyone else gonna pick this up?

I'm just giong to my local wally world to pick it up. I wanted to order the deluxe set thing from WM.com, but they weren't going to get it for a few days. No worries though. I'll be online playing it tonight! :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
04-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll shoot you an IM when I get home, maybe we'll get a little online racing going on!

El Chuxter
05-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Costco's got Wii Fit for $79.99. As of 11 this morning, the local one had about 20 left.

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 02:10 AM
McDonalds has WiiFat for $4.29, and they have plenty more of 'em. ;)

Beast
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
The Wii Fit is calling people Fat, causing some controversy in the UK.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2008/05/19/wii-fit-dares-to-call-young-girl-as-fat-experts-call-for-parental-warning-and-even-a-ban/

DarthQuack
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Well then they need to get their fat arses in shape :P joking of course....but yea they should have been more selective with their words.

El Chuxter
05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
It says very clearly in the instruction manual that it cannot give accurate BMI readings for people who are still growing (read: under 19 or 20). Of course, no one reads the manuals anymore.

The likely problem (and I'm guessing, since I've read two or three articles about this same story now, and it's never really detailed) is that she entered her height, went through a growth spurt (and corresponding normal weight gain), and Wii Fit is now trying to determine her BMI based on her new weight and old (shorter) height.

Wii Fit bases the BMI and ideal weight on standard medical references. It's not making this up. It can't. It's a disc.

In any case, bottom line, the parents should read the frigging book (that comes with it and clearly states that it's not designed to give accurate BMI info for kids) before b****ing and moaning. Wait, they were probably too busy severely burning themselves on McDonald's coffee. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Then it shouldn't tell kids they are fat, period, the end. This girl's BMI is classified as "underweight" according to that article's numbers, she's an 18.2 BMI which is just under normal weight.

El Chuxter
05-23-2008, 04:22 PM
If she grew and didn't enter the updated info, though, it would be figuring based on her actual weight and a height lower than her actual height. Since BMI is essentially based on density, it would make it seem much higher.

And, unless there's a big difference on the European version that I'm not aware of, it doesn't say anyone's fat. (Come to think of it, though it'd be incredibly rude, it'd be kinda funny if it called someone a "porker" and replaced his or her Mii with a anthromorphic pig.)

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 06:03 PM
She would have had to lose 9 inches to put her at the precipice of the "overweight" BMI category based on her current weight. The game has been out 1 month in Europe. Does it seem likely she grew at all in that 1 month, much less over half a foot?

I am going on what the UK article said, it claims it says "fat".

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Heads up to fellow Wii owners: during my last week of retail BS in the wally world electronics department, I noticed that we had the Wii point card/classic controller cover two-packs on sale for $8.00!!

Realizing that the points card costs $19 bucks or so by itself, I bought three of them for $8 each, thus getting about 6,000 points cards for 24 bucks whereas they would have cost over $60!!! I still have about 1100 on my wii, but once I get back to Toledo, I plan to toss more points on there as I know they don't expire. Needless to say, a shopping spree is about to commence!

So, check your wal-mart electronics department, and/or the clearance areas/aisles as your store might have marked them down as well.

I've attached a pic so you can know what i'm talking about. :thumbsup:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-26-2008, 11:40 PM
I picked up SUPER MARIO SLUGGERS today as I thought I had it had online playing. Good thing I didn't open it cos the game does NOT go online and unless you're playing with friends, the single player mode is basically just exhibition games and mini games. Other reviews said the graphics were decent, but the game is pretty much a carbon copy of the GC mario baseball from 03 or so.

And it's going back tomorrow. Stuff like this just irks me about nintendo. Enough with the ANYBODY CAN PLAY IT! attitude and ask, "Why WOULD anybody play this game?"

But hey, thanks for my 50 bucks back, Nintendo. I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

pbarnard
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM

We did. I love playing this online, melees are fun.

Heads up to fellow Wii owners: during my last week of retail BS in the wally world electronics department, I noticed that we had the Wii point card/classic controller cover two-packs on sale for $8.00!!

Realizing that the points card costs $19 bucks or so by itself, I bought three of them for $8 each, thus getting about 6,000 points cards for 24 bucks whereas they would have cost over $60!!! I still have about 1100 on my wii, but once I get back to Toledo, I plan to toss more points on there as I know they don't expire. Needless to say, a shopping spree is about to commence!

So, check your wal-mart electronics department, and/or the clearance areas/aisles as your store might have marked them down as well.

I've attached a pic so you can know what i'm talking about. :thumbsup:

I thought Nintendo was being sued by a few companies for copyright/trademark/patent infringement on things like the Wiimote and the Classic Controller. Of course, I never see these sale things, for anything. Last thing I found on clearance, VOTC Stormtroopers. Before that, PotF2 figures.