PDA

View Full Version : Anakin's Choices

Tycho
11-20-2006, 02:45 PM
I've been reading Darth Bane: Path to Destruction for a while now, and have been entertained by the Sith's glamorous life.

Isn't it better to be a Sith Lord than a Jedi?

I've been thinking a lot about that lately and also how Anakin blew it - he had the perfect opportunity with the Sith laid out before him, but he lost everything he ever wanted.

The first order of business would be to deconstruct his fatal errors.

To me, one of the largest was leaping at Obi-Wan, who had the perfect position on him, and which cost Anakin his legs and left arm.

What could Anakin have done if he did not attack Obi-Wan at that pivotal moment?

OK, suppose for a minute that he left? He could presumably Force-navigate that robo-platform he was on, back to the landing site, and take Padme and the droids to Palpatine. The Sith Master might not know how to save people from dying - or together they might discover it (Anakin certainly had motivation). Had Padme lived, Palpatine could kill her later you suppose, and hold that as insurance over Anakin - or a debt he owed his master for saving him, only to have her killed in some shuttle accident, or anything Anakin wouldn't be able to trace back to Palpatine.

Obi-Wan might catch up to him somehow, but they'd be able to resume their fight on better ground for Anakin's sake.

If Obi-Wan did not catch him, Anakin's orders on Mustafar were to wipe out the Separatist leaders. They did not include Order 66 - that was for the Clone Troopers. He could escape Obi-Wan if he had to. I don't think Palpatine could punish him in the face of Anakin rescuing Padme, as that had been his original objective in joining with the Sith. Palpatine could send Anakin after Obi-Wan at a later time if need be (because Cody couldn't do the job).

In any case, do you think Anakin could have then rescued Padme?

Do you think he would have avoided ending up in a life-support suit?

DarkArtist
11-21-2006, 08:28 AM
I think that once you have surrendered to the Dark Side your hatred, arrogance, and lust for power take over your thoughts and emotions and you become irrational. Anakin was so full of arrogance and hatred that there was no way that he was not going to try to defeat Obi Wan.
Plus if that happened and Anakin di in fact just leave Obi Wan on that rock cliff, we wouldn't have some of that great dialogue from ROTS. "You were the Chosen One."

Darth Jax
11-21-2006, 12:51 PM
anakin's stupidest move was force choking the woman he loved and was "trying" to save.

Tycho
11-21-2006, 02:29 PM
True it was stupid, but it was intended to shut her up, not kill her. Padme didn't die from asphyxiation either. She supposedly died "from a broken heart." That was stupid writing on Lucas' part.

Had Anakin "Force thrown her" in his rage, she might've been impaled through a lung or somewhere (not the heart for the moment), but not had her womb and the unborn twins be affected. Thus she would die from the physical damage Anakin inflicted on her, but Luke & Leia would have a chance to be born by Ceasarian-Droid Method. Padme's death scene could have gone down almost exactly like it did in the movie, but with the cause being different and the "lost the will to live element," not jeopardising her otherwise very strong character. (I'd still find it hard to believe she'd abandon Luke & Leia like that).

However, some expository dialogue with Padme still alive, and Yoda and Obi-Wan involved, could've explained that Padme knew they could not take the chance that her kids be found by the Sith.

But:

1) Obi-Wan might not have been able to drive the proverbial lightsaber through crispy Anakin's heart, but at this point, he surely thought he had left his one-time apprentice for dead. They didn't know Vader was going to turn up alive and walking around in a life-support system.

2) They could have faked Padme's death, and if the Jedi could evade capture and death (Yoda and Obi-Wan especially), they could do the same for Padme in order for her to be a mother to at least Leia. I know with her body, Palpatine was more than convinved for a while. Padme wouldn't have a lot to live for by comparison with her former life as a Queen and then Senator, but she'd have her daughter. She could never risk capture by turning up with Mon Mothma in the Rebel Alliance. Were she found alive, a mad hunt for at least one of her children would ensue and she couldn't risk her child like that. The fact is, that it could have been more interesting for a TV show or novels etc. had Padme lived and been on the run, trying to hide her existance and that of Leia's. It also would have jived more with what Leia said she remembered in ROTJ. Yes, Bail Organa might eventually adopt Leia and protect Padme until the latter died. Luke had to go to the Lars and be raised under Obi-Wan's protection.

3) I think Lucas was again too politically correct and wouldn't show a lot of wife-battering. He did show Anakin being burned alive however, earning E3 the only PG-13 rating of all the Star Wars saga. I don't know if everyone agrees, but traumatically speaking, being delimbed and then burned alive and having that shown is more traumatic than a pregnant woman being impaled through the chest - which could have been filmed at such an angle to not overdo it - and could have been shown before she had a chance to bleed out a lot. All that needed to be established, was that it was a fatal incident, and her womb with the babies was not effected at that moment.

I loved ROTS myself, but I think this whole part could have been better done.

El Chuxter
11-21-2006, 02:35 PM
3) I think Lucas was again too politically correct and wouldn't show a lot of wife-battering.

I think Padme should've arrived on Mustafar to find Anakin sitting in a recliner, drinking beer, eating Cheetos, and watching football. And, of course, wearing a stained wifebeater. That would've made the whole choking sequence easier to accept.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2006, 07:05 PM
I think Padme should've arrived on Mustafar to find Anakin sitting in a recliner, drinking beer, eating Cheetos, and watching football. And, of course, wearing a stained wifebeater. That would've made the whole choking sequence easier to accept.No, Anakin should've had a 3-0 lead in the series and proceed to lose 4 straight, fumble the handoff and let the defense run the ball back for the game-winning touchdown, or misspell the easy word in the spelling bee in overconfidence. Then, the choking sequence would be easier accept. :p

Seriously, Anakin, as The Chosen One, was doomed to fall to the dark side. He always reacted in anger and fear; while I think Padme realized that, she wanted to believe he would change or that she could change him. Therefore, his choices would have led him down the path to ruin, no matter what. Maybe not in a life-saving suit, but still rotten with evil. :evil: Once down the path, forever will it dominate (DOMINATE! :D )your destiny... :(

darthvyn
11-28-2006, 09:42 PM
3) I think Lucas was again too politically correct and wouldn't show a lot of wife-battering.

i also think the MPAA would've had something to say about the gratuitousness of a scene involving natalie portman being dipped in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs.

Rocketboy
11-28-2006, 10:05 PM
I'd pay to see that.
Sounds kinda hot.

darthvyn
11-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I'd pay to see that.
Sounds kinda hot.

hence the reason why the MPAA would neg it - because you want to see it!

2-1B
11-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Anakin shouldn't have let Obi-Wan cut off his limbs.

darthvyn
11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Anakin shouldn't have let Obi-Wan cut off his limbs.

pssshhh... where were you when he was on mustafar? ani could've used advice like that...

2-1B
11-29-2006, 08:43 PM
I know, it really is sound advice. I would have also told him not to choke his wife but nobody ever takes my recommendations anyway.

JON9000
12-04-2006, 03:30 PM
I would have also told him not to choke his wife but nobody ever takes my recommendations anyway.

He coulda at least warned her like Wayne Brady. Would've made for some snappier dialogue as well.