PDA

View Full Version : The SSG BATTLE OF THE MACHINES Round 1 - Fight 1!

Tycho
02-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Attention SirStevesGuide Readers! Now is your chance to pick your favorite Hasbro Star Wars ships and vehicles and TAKE THEM INTO BATTLE!

See how they do against every other fan's favorite main machine!

Choose the modern toy that you liked the most and keep coming back to see if your craft can make it to the next round!

There are 32 contestants in the first round - and Friday Nights are FIGHT NIGHTS only here at SirStevesGuide!

For 16 weeks your favorite Star Wars ships and vehicles will compete in their own "divisions" of appropriately matched crafts to see who is going to survive!

To qualify, all Battle of the Machines contestants must be Hasbro Star Wars crafts that have been released in the modern line!

But watch for some unexpected surprises as new ships and vehicles are released! Some new contestants might be crashing the fights during the next few months!!!

Who will make it to the Semi-Finals??? YOU DECIDE!!!

In our first pitched battle we have a classic match, a staple of Star Wars since the beginning. We have the Electronic X-wing Fighter versus the Galactic Empire's TIE Starfighter in The Dog Fight!

Yes, Rebels and Imperials, choose your sides and let the lightning strike! It's The Battle of the Machines, Round One - Fight One:

X-wing versus TIE Fighter!

Cry Havoc and Release the Dogs of War!!!

FIGHT NOW!

Tycho
02-01-2002, 02:26 PM
The Imperial TIE Fighter has an opening cockpit that can hold one action figure, and pop-off solar panels that simulate battle-damage. It sold for a price point of around $20.00.

The Electronic X-wing Fighter was about $30.00 and featured opening wings with linked fly-by sound effects that you activated by pushing a dedicated R2-D2's head down. A remote trigger made laser-blast flash noises. Landing gear could come down manually, and the cockpit holds one action figure.

good shot jansen
02-01-2002, 02:49 PM
fahgedabadit!

even the swaped up slimey micro machines x-wing which came with the transforming yoda playset could kick any tie fighter butt!

particularly anyone made by hasblow with pop off wing assemblies!:p (whatever you do, don't press that button.........doh!)

stillakid
02-01-2002, 06:10 PM
Anytime the TIE took a concussion hit, wobbly head TIE pilot lost track of which direction he was headed, not to mention that he just couldn't comfortable in that seat.

X-Wing Pilot had the liability of an R2 unit dying to get out of the ship to stretch his legs, but it isn't to be. Grumpy droids aren't much help in a battle.

Regardless, there is only one possible outcome: the TIE is designed with battle damage...the X-wing isn't. Only one is allowed to be destroyed.

bigbarada
02-01-2002, 08:16 PM
The TIE's were actually pretty formidable in the Death Star battle of ANH. I remember when watching it for the first time I actually believed for a second that the Rebels were doomed.

So I voted for the TIE, assuming this battle takes place before the first Death Star is destroyed. Plus, it is still probably the most original spaceship design in all of sci-fi. You can't steal that design without someone picking it out immediately.

GNT
02-01-2002, 09:38 PM
The Imperial TIE Fighter's superiority overwhelms and vapes one more rebel scum!

I just like the Tie Fighter ship more than the X-wing fighter :)

2-1B
02-02-2002, 02:49 AM
I voted TIE.

bigB, I like your point about originality in design.

stillakid, I could never go into toy battle with a permanently anchored astromech.

Obi-Don
02-02-2002, 07:22 AM
I go with the Tie for playability and price. The X-Wing is cool but I have always liked the Tie fighters.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-02-2002, 10:53 PM
Let's see... :confused:

X-Wing: Four laser cannons, torpedo launcher, astromech droid, shields, hyperdrive.

TIE Fighter: Two laser cannons, no launcher, no droid, no shields, no hyperdrive...no way.

Gee, that was easy.

LusiferSam
02-03-2002, 05:58 PM
As a toy I like the X-wing. Both in vintage and POTF2.

Jargo
02-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Hmmmm, I voted x-wing because I never liked the sound a TIE made. I was watching TV today and the 1960 version of the lost world was on. there's a battle between a hopelessly disguised crocodile and Iguana and the sound effect for the Iguana's roar was something like the elephant roar that Ben Burrt used for the TIE fighter screech. All I could think about was the shot of the two tie fighters coming in from screen right and flying past the death star trench right before the first conference room scene with Tarkin and vader. kind of ruined the Iguana fight for me but was also quite cool to think it might have been an old stock sound effect Burrt used. But the Toys - well the Tie has tiny out of scale wings and no electronics and the x-wing has loads of electronics, enough to see it through any battle. Plus light effects and that "lock s foils in position" feature. You can land the x-wing anywhere but the TIE has to keep on flying. The pilot is going to be well knackered in battle with eye strain from trying to keep awake enough to spot the obstacles and the refreshed enemy. The x-wing has a great go faster stripe down the side and the TIE has nothing. the x-wing has pretty good all round vision with that R2 unit providing prompts of incoming craft and being able to fix minor damage in situ. The TIE has really bad visual obs points and no back-ups of any kind. Plus the TIE has no hyperdrive engine which the x-wing has of course. I'd say it's no competition. :D

Rollo Tomassi
03-15-2002, 12:57 PM
So voting for one or the other, automatically discludes the loser from reaching the semi finals? that's not really fair to the TIE fighter, which isn't as superior to an X-Wing, but could still kick the pants out of say...a Naboo fighter in the coolness area.

Oh well, I chose the X-Wing. The workhorse of the Star Wars galaxy. Give me an X-wing over a jedi Starfighter, an A -Wing, a Naboo fighter any day. They takes a lickin' and keep on tickin.

Tycho
08-09-2002, 02:07 PM
I guess it's time to reveal how I voted: I went with the X-wing here. Electronic sound effects rule and make playing out battles so much more fun!